Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 314  

post #4696 of 6388

Any Canucks receive these without too much hassle through the border? What (if any) fees were there?

post #4697 of 6388

Is the asgard 2 and the schiit $99 amp considered warm too? I have the Schiit M&M stack but don't have anything to compare it too. I do have an Fiio E10 but don't think that will do.

post #4698 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by eac3 View Post

Is the asgard 2 and the schiit $99 amp considered warm too? I have the Schiit M&M stack but don't have anything to compare it too. I do have an Fiio E10 but don't think that will do.

The Magni (99$) is very neutral from what remember. Actually some may consider it a tad bright. I haven't heard the new Asgard 2, but early impressions say it may have a slight warm tilt to it. Although I have never found Schiit's SS amps to be anything but neutral.
post #4699 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by eac3 View Post

Is the asgard 2 and the schiit $99 amp considered warm too? I have the Schiit M&M stack but don't have anything to compare it too. I do have an Fiio E10 but don't think that will do.

The "Schiit Stack" (biggrin.gif) is considered to be neutral, if not very slightly bright.

post #4700 of 6388

The Asgard is literally and figuratively a little warm ; )

 

personally, I don't consider the amp to be bright.

post #4701 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Any Canucks receive these without too much hassle through the border? What (if any) fees were there?

 

Provided you choose shipping via USPS then the only fees you will be charged at the border is sales tax on the declared value of the headphone-- just as if you were to buy them locally.

post #4702 of 6388
Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Mad Dogs but I had a couple questions. How portable are they, like clamping force and weight. Also, how comfortable are they? The most comfy cans I ever tried were the Skullcandy Aviators, how do they compare comfortwise? Thanks!
post #4703 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshalticsea View Post

Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Mad Dogs but I had a couple questions. How portable are they, like clamping force and weight. Also, how comfortable are they? The most comfy cans I ever tried were the Skullcandy Aviators, how do they compare comfortwise? Thanks!

Clamping force: Not much, can do a little trick to lessen it too.

Weight: Heavy, but with the comfort strap Dan sells it feels like nothing on your head.

Comfort: Super.

Aviators: I haven't tried these, but I'm going to say there going to be more comfortable due to real leather earpads.

post #4704 of 6388

I never tried the Aviators, but you shouldn't worry too much about comfort with the MD Alpha.  The combination of the leather band and lambskin cushion pad is truly comfortable.  So comfortable that the weight almost doesn't matter.  You will feel the weight, but won't really pay attention to them.  I didn't notice the clamp force as I thought it was fine plus you can adjust the clamp force with a little bending if needed as I don't think most would.

 

How portable they are will actually be determine if you are okay with their size more than anything and if you care how they look on your head.  Other than that, the rest is pretty good.

post #4705 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshalticsea View Post

Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Mad Dogs but I had a couple questions. How portable are they, like clamping force and weight. Also, how comfortable are they? The most comfy cans I ever tried were the Skullcandy Aviators, how do they compare comfortwise? Thanks!

 

With clamp, Dan is now sending them out with a little more clamp then he did before, should be sufficient to stay on your head and its always adjustable (he posted a how to video). 

 

I think your main comfort issue would be with heat. I don't know where you live, but with summer coming, huge leather earpads are going to get sweaty on your head unless you are in a room with average temperature. Other than that, the comfort is amazing.

 

The main issue you're going to have with portability, as mentioned by soundeffect, is the size. These are not small cans. With the alpha pads, they are going to stand out. They make my large head look like big head mode from goldeneye on N64. So they won't be as sleak or stylish as the aviators might be, but they do have their own unique look, especially if you go 'darth dog' with the stickers. 

The size will also make it more difficult to transport. They will easily fit inside a backpack, but it all depends on how worried you are about getting the pads squished. The build feels rugged enough, but I've had a hard time deciding to actually take them out of the house.

post #4706 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

 

With clamp, Dan is now sending them out with a little more clamp then he did before, should be sufficient to stay on your head and its always adjustable (he posted a how to video). 

 

I think your main comfort issue would be with heat. I don't know where you live, but with summer coming, huge leather earpads are going to get sweaty on your head unless you are in a room with average temperature. Other than that, the comfort is amazing.

 

The main issue you're going to have with portability, as mentioned by soundeffect, is the size. These are not small cans. With the alpha pads, they are going to stand out. They make my large head look like big head mode from goldeneye on N64. So they won't be as sleak or stylish as the aviators might be, but they do have their own unique look, especially if you go 'darth dog' with the stickers. 

The size will also make it more difficult to transport. They will easily fit inside a backpack, but it all depends on how worried you are about getting the pads squished. The build feels rugged enough, but I've had a hard time deciding to actually take them out of the house.

 

Hahah big head mode! I forgot about it, I miss the goldeneye golden days.

 

in my opinion, the mds portability depends on what you're doing. It would be easy to transport the mds to and from work from home for instance. I think it'd also be no problem to go for a walk with the md and a mobile source/amp. I wouldn't want to do anything to would jar the headphone too much though, like the gym or jogging or anything too intensive like that. The lighter clamping force plus the weight of the headphone may lead to it slipping off and falling in that kind of situation, and it's a full sized phone that would be hot and cumbersome even if they stayed put.

 

To be clear though, I wouldn't call this phone hot or cumbersome generally. I use them mostly at my desk, and I think the comfort is great as many others have mentioned. Once you dial them in it's pretty easy to forget they're on your head. They also haven't been hot for me in my usage, but I could def see them getting that way in some portable applications, as is the nature of a closed leather headphone.


Edited by jevans2025 - 4/2/13 at 2:24pm
post #4707 of 6388

Heya,
are there stats on how deep the cups are?

ive been looking between these akg k550, dt770.

as for amping.. i have a blue yetii mic... sooo barelycounts as an amp


thinking of getting a xonar stx next time i have more fun money

post #4708 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviver View Post

Heya,
are there stats on how deep the cups are?

ive been looking between these akg k550, dt770.

as for amping.. i have a blue yetii mic... sooo barelycounts as an amp


thinking of getting a xonar stx next time i have more fun money

 

I think the ST and STX are really stellar for the money. They will also be more than enough to drive the Mad Dogs. I'd easily pick Mad dogs over the AKG K550. Much better mid range, bass response and the treble isn't as spikey. 

post #4709 of 6388

are there ever sales on mad dogs? or should i just flatout buy them (not sure how much shipping would be since im canadian)

post #4710 of 6388

If you want to save some money, you could buy a used pair from the boards here.  It seems that most everyone here takes excellent care of their equipment so I wouldn't worry about the "used" part. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review