- 12,718 Posts. Joined 3/2010
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 3/12/13 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
a-JAYS Five Quick Review Thanks to JAYS for the sample. Full review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/695893/jays-a-jays-five-review Brief: JAYS notice that there are phones not made by...
To start off I have to clarify that i am not an "Audiophile", nothing about me is audiophile related except the love of music and headphones. So to start this review i'd like to talk about the...
Since the Gamma y2 is a DIY project I'm not going to comment on the build quality as its dependent on the builder. The Sound The sound of the y2 varies on how it was built. Mine is using...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 312post #4666 of 64133/30/13 at 7:08amYeah, I think it's due to the more closed sound that puts the mids more in your face with the MD. It really is a very, very great sounding closed headphone. A bit too hot on the ears for me (closed + leather = yikes), but anyone who needs the isolation should definitely look into these.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4667 of 64133/30/13 at 7:10ampost #4668 of 64133/30/13 at 7:20amI should mention that my scalp grips onto stuff more on like the 1st day or two after a haircut. After that, it loses that grip...
Like when I wear a fitted cap. After a haircut, it really stays on. Then it slides around like nothing.
I'm wondering if I'll encounter the same issue with the Mad Dogs as before the haircut.
The downside to this extra grip is extra discomfort.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 3/30/13 at 7:33ampost #4669 of 64133/30/13 at 7:48ampost #4670 of 64133/30/13 at 8:47ampost #4671 of 64133/30/13 at 9:24ampost #4672 of 64133/30/13 at 9:36ampost #4673 of 64133/30/13 at 10:17ampost #4674 of 64133/30/13 at 11:25amQuote:
I'd like that. I like the look of the Darth-dog and was about to buy stickers, but I'd hate to lose the branding entirely -- I want those that are interested to know that they are MDs in case they want to investigate. The raised black text seems like a good solution.post #4675 of 64133/30/13 at 12:12pmpost #4676 of 64133/30/13 at 12:18pmpost #4677 of 64133/30/13 at 12:32pmpost #4678 of 64133/30/13 at 12:58pmpost #4679 of 64133/30/13 at 1:20pmQuote:Originally Posted by aak57
Quick impression is that they're great, but then again I'm a newbie so pretty much anything will sound good to me. Immediately recognized a huge difference between these and my Denon D2000s which I'm glad about, as I was looking for a more monitor-ish type of headphone to complement those. Only other "real" headphones I have owned are AD700s, which these completely smoke, not surprisingly. Using a Fiio E11 to power them with an X-Fi Titanium, which is working well enough, though I do plan to get a desktop amp at some point.
I'm mostly excited because I'm really experiencing the "whoa I didn't know that sound is in this song" thing I've seen others talk about. I still like the D2Ks but obviously their forte is sub-bass and not accuracy so much.
I'm thinking about buying both the Mad Dogs + alpha pads and also the D2k / D5k with Lawton angle pads.
As they are both 'closed' phones, in your opinion which would you say has the larger soundstage?.. the D2k or MD.post #4680 of 64133/30/13 at 1:45pmQuote:
I have the D5000 with angled pads and the MD with alpha pads. I'm not certain that soundstage is anything more than a subjective characteristic. The Denons do not isolate nearly as well and they leak quite a bit of sound. Because of this, it might seem that the D5K have a broader soundstage. The Denons are more "open", for sealed phones, and normally open headphones appear to have a wider soundstage. Based off what reviewers have claimed, I would not be able to comment on the D2K, as there is usually a bigger jump in quality between the D2K and D5K as there is between the D5K and D7K, despite both lower-priced models sharing identical drivers.
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 59 seconds ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Dec 16th 2013 and feature poll... 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 1 minute ago
- › Cans/Amp/DAC combo, $500 Budget 2 minutes ago
- › Mint Hifiman HE-6 with many extra's 3 minutes ago
- › [Interest Check] Official Vienna Meet 3 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - a review in progress: Factory visit pg 18. IMGS pg... 5 minutes ago
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by Xstream
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by Beethoven Lover
- › Astell&Kern AKR01 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by wolfetan44
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe