- 3 Posts. Joined 6/2009
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 1/13/14 at 8:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 282post #4216 of 63883/14/13 at 11:52amReceived my Mad Dogs with Alpha pads late last week. This thread lead me to get the Mad Dogs and I am in no way disappointed. Like having the worlds most comfortable couch strapped to my head with fantastic speakers imbedded. I have previously heard DT 770, Ultrasone 900 Pro, Sennheiser 380 Pro, Sennheiser 555, Shure SE535, Shure SE310, Sony MDR-V600, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. The Mad Dogs sound great (to me!) straight out of MacBook Pro, iPad, MBP+FIIO e17, and MBP+Total Bithead. I am having some trouble detecting differences with different DAC/amp combinations aside from volume level limitations. I have been looking for amp/DAC combos to allow the Mad Dogs to reach their full potential, but I am really having difficulty in deciding on the setup. I would like a portable setup (otherwise the Magni/Modi would top the list), and preferably a combined unit with USB charging (otherwise the O2/Odac would be ordered already). Currently I am interested in the PDC XM6 amp/DAC combo, especially as I do find crossover nice for some tracks I listen to and the 75Ohm switch would be useful for listening with my 535s. I am worried that the XM6 is insufficient to properly supply the current these cans deserve (and I don't know much about op-amp rolling to improve this), and I am slightly bothered that the DAC is not truly 24/192 due to USB interface limitations in the unit. I have also read some serious complaints about the customer service at PDC. Does anyone have a recommendation for another suitable dac/amp combo, opinions on the xm6, or notes on what to expect when the Mad Dogs are finally properly amped when compared with straight out of MacBook? Thanks all! and Thanks to Dan for your skilled work!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4217 of 63883/14/13 at 12:46pmpost #4218 of 63883/14/13 at 12:48pmpost #4219 of 63883/14/13 at 12:58pmQuote:
Definitely good looking. Also like the "font" used.
Will definitely be picking up a couple of them once the page is up in the accessories section.post #4220 of 63883/14/13 at 1:00pmpost #4221 of 63883/14/13 at 1:10pmpost #4222 of 63883/14/13 at 1:36pmpost #4223 of 63883/14/13 at 1:39pmpost #4224 of 63883/14/13 at 1:43pmpost #4225 of 63883/14/13 at 2:02pmpost #4226 of 63883/14/13 at 2:06pmpost #4227 of 63883/14/13 at 2:12pmQuote:Quote:
I think that might look better overall, the new ones look a bit too simplistic in white IMO (wasn't crazy about the old ones but at least they had some flavor to them)... Is Dan currently using red V-Moda cables or are they black/grey or just whatever's available?
It'd have to be bright red or it'd disappear into the cup tho (not dark V-moda red). I think an orange/brass color on the font might pop more too and it'd match the arms.
I think that might be off, Google Images search comes up with stuff that's lighter and closer to violet/pink than red/copper, might just be my phone's display throwing everything off tho...
Edited by Impulse - 3/14/13 at 2:17pmpost #4228 of 63883/14/13 at 2:14pmpost #4229 of 63883/14/13 at 2:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by atomman
I would like a portable setup (otherwise the Magni/Modi would top the list), and preferably a combined unit with USB charging (otherwise the O2/Odac would be ordered already)... I am worried that the XM6 is insufficient to properly supply the current these cans deserve (and I don't know much about op-amp rolling to improve this), and I am slightly bothered that the DAC is not truly 24/192 due to USB interface limitations in the unit... Does anyone have a recommendation for another suitable dac/amp combo?
I've been looking for something similar myself, but I'm also unsure whether it'd be worthwhile for the MD or whether I should just focus on a transportable setup instead...
I'd been looking into the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII but the best I could scrounge up were a few positive comments from others in the thread who're happy with the pairing and the Inner Fidelity review which tested it w/other planar magnetics.post #4230 of 63883/14/13 at 2:49pmThe MKII does look nice. Not as feature rich as the xm6, but the price is about 2/3. Which op-amps would you choose for driving these orthos? I understand that the Mad Dogs scale up to the highest tier amps, but do you think the MKII alone would be sufficient for a significant gain in performance over direct source output? Especially compared to the cheaper Magni/Modi combo?
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
Currently, there are 2548 Active Users (570 Members and 1978 Guests)
- › Help: Digital Audio Out to Headphones 28 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 31 seconds ago
- › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57.. 49 seconds ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › post your grado mods.... 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!) 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-7520 3 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 5 minutes ago
- › Cant change my avatar 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)