- 3 Posts. Joined 6/2009
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 1/13/14 at 8:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I use them continuously: during the commuting in the subway, on the plane, at home and in the office for my conference calls. I was expecting much lower musical quality from a BT can, but actually...
I spend my working days far from home and I was looking for something compact with two specific characteristics: keep the same feeling that I have when I listen to the Sennheiser HD650 driven by...
Best i-Device portable DAC ever listened to, very neutral and smooth like from a desktop DAC. Currently using it with my iPod touch 5 (Yes, it's support lightinig connector). I will prefer filter...
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 282post #4216 of 63883/14/13 at 11:52amReceived my Mad Dogs with Alpha pads late last week. This thread lead me to get the Mad Dogs and I am in no way disappointed. Like having the worlds most comfortable couch strapped to my head with fantastic speakers imbedded. I have previously heard DT 770, Ultrasone 900 Pro, Sennheiser 380 Pro, Sennheiser 555, Shure SE535, Shure SE310, Sony MDR-V600, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. The Mad Dogs sound great (to me!) straight out of MacBook Pro, iPad, MBP+FIIO e17, and MBP+Total Bithead. I am having some trouble detecting differences with different DAC/amp combinations aside from volume level limitations. I have been looking for amp/DAC combos to allow the Mad Dogs to reach their full potential, but I am really having difficulty in deciding on the setup. I would like a portable setup (otherwise the Magni/Modi would top the list), and preferably a combined unit with USB charging (otherwise the O2/Odac would be ordered already). Currently I am interested in the PDC XM6 amp/DAC combo, especially as I do find crossover nice for some tracks I listen to and the 75Ohm switch would be useful for listening with my 535s. I am worried that the XM6 is insufficient to properly supply the current these cans deserve (and I don't know much about op-amp rolling to improve this), and I am slightly bothered that the DAC is not truly 24/192 due to USB interface limitations in the unit. I have also read some serious complaints about the customer service at PDC. Does anyone have a recommendation for another suitable dac/amp combo, opinions on the xm6, or notes on what to expect when the Mad Dogs are finally properly amped when compared with straight out of MacBook? Thanks all! and Thanks to Dan for your skilled work!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4217 of 63883/14/13 at 12:46pmpost #4218 of 63883/14/13 at 12:48pmpost #4219 of 63883/14/13 at 12:58pmQuote:
Definitely good looking. Also like the "font" used.
Will definitely be picking up a couple of them once the page is up in the accessories section.post #4220 of 63883/14/13 at 1:00pmpost #4221 of 63883/14/13 at 1:10pmpost #4222 of 63883/14/13 at 1:36pmpost #4223 of 63883/14/13 at 1:39pmpost #4224 of 63883/14/13 at 1:43pmpost #4225 of 63883/14/13 at 2:02pmpost #4226 of 63883/14/13 at 2:06pmpost #4227 of 63883/14/13 at 2:12pmQuote:Quote:
I think that might look better overall, the new ones look a bit too simplistic in white IMO (wasn't crazy about the old ones but at least they had some flavor to them)... Is Dan currently using red V-Moda cables or are they black/grey or just whatever's available?
It'd have to be bright red or it'd disappear into the cup tho (not dark V-moda red). I think an orange/brass color on the font might pop more too and it'd match the arms.
I think that might be off, Google Images search comes up with stuff that's lighter and closer to violet/pink than red/copper, might just be my phone's display throwing everything off tho...
Edited by Impulse - 3/14/13 at 2:17pmpost #4228 of 63883/14/13 at 2:14pmpost #4229 of 63883/14/13 at 2:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by atomman
I would like a portable setup (otherwise the Magni/Modi would top the list), and preferably a combined unit with USB charging (otherwise the O2/Odac would be ordered already)... I am worried that the XM6 is insufficient to properly supply the current these cans deserve (and I don't know much about op-amp rolling to improve this), and I am slightly bothered that the DAC is not truly 24/192 due to USB interface limitations in the unit... Does anyone have a recommendation for another suitable dac/amp combo?
I've been looking for something similar myself, but I'm also unsure whether it'd be worthwhile for the MD or whether I should just focus on a transportable setup instead...
I'd been looking into the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII but the best I could scrounge up were a few positive comments from others in the thread who're happy with the pairing and the Inner Fidelity review which tested it w/other planar magnetics.post #4230 of 63883/14/13 at 2:49pmThe MKII does look nice. Not as feature rich as the xm6, but the price is about 2/3. Which op-amps would you choose for driving these orthos? I understand that the Mad Dogs scale up to the highest tier amps, but do you think the MKII alone would be sufficient for a significant gain in performance over direct source output? Especially compared to the cheaper Magni/Modi combo?
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
Currently, there are 3573 Active Users (773 Members and 2800 Guests)
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 31 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 56 seconds ago
- › Vancouver Audiophile Meet May 2014! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Nuforce Primo 8 - an Audiophile Phase Coherent Quad Balanced... 1 minute ago
- › Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 19, 2014, DoubleTree San... 3 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 3 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MM 450-X Wireless Bluetooth Headphones by Faber65
- › iFi iDAC DAC / headphone Amplifier by Faber65
- › Fostex HP-P1 by Jensenchua
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob