- 3 Posts. Joined 6/2009
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 1/13/14 at 8:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
I work with Trance music most ... Before The New released update 3.0 for the thing i wasn't really satisfied with its quality of sound in trance ...but the update Changed everything ,EVERYthing...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 282post #4216 of 63883/14/13 at 11:52amReceived my Mad Dogs with Alpha pads late last week. This thread lead me to get the Mad Dogs and I am in no way disappointed. Like having the worlds most comfortable couch strapped to my head with fantastic speakers imbedded. I have previously heard DT 770, Ultrasone 900 Pro, Sennheiser 380 Pro, Sennheiser 555, Shure SE535, Shure SE310, Sony MDR-V600, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. The Mad Dogs sound great (to me!) straight out of MacBook Pro, iPad, MBP+FIIO e17, and MBP+Total Bithead. I am having some trouble detecting differences with different DAC/amp combinations aside from volume level limitations. I have been looking for amp/DAC combos to allow the Mad Dogs to reach their full potential, but I am really having difficulty in deciding on the setup. I would like a portable setup (otherwise the Magni/Modi would top the list), and preferably a combined unit with USB charging (otherwise the O2/Odac would be ordered already). Currently I am interested in the PDC XM6 amp/DAC combo, especially as I do find crossover nice for some tracks I listen to and the 75Ohm switch would be useful for listening with my 535s. I am worried that the XM6 is insufficient to properly supply the current these cans deserve (and I don't know much about op-amp rolling to improve this), and I am slightly bothered that the DAC is not truly 24/192 due to USB interface limitations in the unit. I have also read some serious complaints about the customer service at PDC. Does anyone have a recommendation for another suitable dac/amp combo, opinions on the xm6, or notes on what to expect when the Mad Dogs are finally properly amped when compared with straight out of MacBook? Thanks all! and Thanks to Dan for your skilled work!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4217 of 63883/14/13 at 12:46pmpost #4218 of 63883/14/13 at 12:48pmpost #4219 of 63883/14/13 at 12:58pmQuote:
Definitely good looking. Also like the "font" used.
Will definitely be picking up a couple of them once the page is up in the accessories section.post #4220 of 63883/14/13 at 1:00pmpost #4221 of 63883/14/13 at 1:10pmpost #4222 of 63883/14/13 at 1:36pmpost #4223 of 63883/14/13 at 1:39pmpost #4224 of 63883/14/13 at 1:43pmpost #4225 of 63883/14/13 at 2:02pmpost #4226 of 63883/14/13 at 2:06pmpost #4227 of 63883/14/13 at 2:12pmQuote:Quote:
I think that might look better overall, the new ones look a bit too simplistic in white IMO (wasn't crazy about the old ones but at least they had some flavor to them)... Is Dan currently using red V-Moda cables or are they black/grey or just whatever's available?
It'd have to be bright red or it'd disappear into the cup tho (not dark V-moda red). I think an orange/brass color on the font might pop more too and it'd match the arms.
I think that might be off, Google Images search comes up with stuff that's lighter and closer to violet/pink than red/copper, might just be my phone's display throwing everything off tho...
Edited by Impulse - 3/14/13 at 2:17pmpost #4228 of 63883/14/13 at 2:14pmpost #4229 of 63883/14/13 at 2:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by atomman
I would like a portable setup (otherwise the Magni/Modi would top the list), and preferably a combined unit with USB charging (otherwise the O2/Odac would be ordered already)... I am worried that the XM6 is insufficient to properly supply the current these cans deserve (and I don't know much about op-amp rolling to improve this), and I am slightly bothered that the DAC is not truly 24/192 due to USB interface limitations in the unit... Does anyone have a recommendation for another suitable dac/amp combo?
I've been looking for something similar myself, but I'm also unsure whether it'd be worthwhile for the MD or whether I should just focus on a transportable setup instead...
I'd been looking into the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII but the best I could scrounge up were a few positive comments from others in the thread who're happy with the pairing and the Inner Fidelity review which tested it w/other planar magnetics.post #4230 of 63883/14/13 at 2:49pmThe MKII does look nice. Not as feature rich as the xm6, but the price is about 2/3. Which op-amps would you choose for driving these orthos? I understand that the Mad Dogs scale up to the highest tier amps, but do you think the MKII alone would be sufficient for a significant gain in performance over direct source output? Especially compared to the cheaper Magni/Modi combo?
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
Currently, there are 2829 Active Users (607 Members and 2222 Guests)
- › Comparisons: 19 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 2 minutes ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 2 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › WTB: NVX XPT100 Angled Pads 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.085 . . . . 3 minutes ago
- › Thinking of modding a set of Koss PortaPro instead of buying more... 4 minutes ago
- › Astell & kern Ak100 wine red limited edition - like new condition. 4 minutes ago
- › What has ER4 highs and mids but better bass for a similar price? 5 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Xyrium
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)