Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 281  

post #4201 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by eac3 View Post

Does Dan typically mark your order as shipped? I just see that it is completed.

 

To tell you the truth, I am a bit nervous if this doesn't work out. I just returned the Ultrasones Pro 900 as I thought they were really too dark for my tastes, but like the sparkly treble with my audio technica...and did enjoy the bass of the ultrasones. I am nervous because I want to stick with closed back headphones...and I see many on here recommend open back all the time (for good reason it seems).

 

I am still undecided on whether I should get the  Schiit Magni or the Asgard 2. I really haven't seen anything in this thread about a comparison between the two (except for one short post). 

 

Thanks.

The Magni will provide you with a little more power for their ohm rating, and will have a less colored sound - it's truly a great little amp for what it costs.  I typically wouldn't go past 1 o'clock on the volume knob with my HE-400, so it will likely drive the Mad Dogs quite well too.  The Asgard 2 is said to be a little warmer sounding.  Plus, they've added a gain switch, improved gain stage and power management, and a preamp out on the Asgard 2, so it's ultimately a better and more versatile product than the original - and it has that nice aluminum finish over the Magni which is painted steel.  You can't go wrong either way, but I'd say get the Asgard 2 if you can afford it and have the extra room.  

post #4202 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

The Magni will provide you with a little more power for their ohm rating, and will have a less colored sound - it's truly a great little amp for what it costs.  I typically wouldn't go past 1 o'clock on the volume knob with my HE-400, so it will likely drive the Mad Dogs quite well too.  The Asgard 2 is said to be a little warmer sounding.  Plus, they've added a gain switch, improved gain stage and power management, and a preamp out on the Asgard 2, so it's ultimately a better and more versatile product than the original - and it has that nice aluminum finish over the Magni which is painted steel.  You can't go wrong either way, but I'd say get the Asgard 2 if you can afford it and have the extra room.  
When I had the alpha dogs and lcd2.2, the Magni was fine to use, I use around 3o'clock with he400s.
post #4203 of 6388
This is indeed a very excellent product, I thank you very much dan for the making/modding of this headphone. The mad dog can even be driven to more than a moderate volume with my Samsung Note 2 alone, and with a amp like the BH C&C it delivers trully a wonderful sound. Some said the amp was not good with it but I have to dissagre it sounds excellent and only 50% of the volume pot is turned when it is is on the edge too loud.
Edited by Leonarfd - 3/14/13 at 9:45am
post #4204 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopanthersgo1 View Post


When I had the alpha dogs and lcd2.2, the Magni was fine to use, I use around 3o'clock with he400s.

 

3:00!! eek.gif If you're not hard of hearing you will be. 

post #4205 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

3:00!! eek.gif
 If you're not hard of hearing you will be. 
Normally 1-1:30 though, only 3 when I listen shortly or replay gained anime...
post #4206 of 6388

Holy smokes! Unless the source/DAC has unusually low output, even 1 on a Magni is extremely loud with most source material. I would make a SWAG it's almost certainly exceeding 110dB on the Mad Dog for much popular source material, which is definitely not safe. Literally I use the headphones as little desktop speakers when it's above 12.  


 basshead.gif

post #4207 of 6388

I ordered another pair of MD's and got them in today. New stickering on the cups. 

 

 

 

I like it. Simple, elegant, border free. Nice work Dan!!

post #4208 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Holy smokes! Unless the source/DAC has unusually low output, even 1 on a Magni is extremely loud with most source material. I would make a SWAG it's almost certainly exceeding 110dB on the Mad Dog for much popular source material, which is definitely not safe. Literally I use the headphones as little desktop speakers when it's above 12.  

 basshead.gif
Was used out of a clip+.
post #4209 of 6388

That might do it...  If the clip+ output is lower than the relative output will be different.  DACs do vary on output levels...  

post #4210 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I ordered another pair of MD's and got them in today. New stickering on the cups. 

 

 

 

I like it. Simple, elegant, border free. Nice work Dan!!

 

I like the new change, simple yet elegant. But seeing as how I don't normally see the sticker for more than a few seconds it's not a big deal with the older style.

post #4211 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I ordered another pair of MD's and got them in today. New stickering on the cups. 

 

 

 

I like it. Simple, elegant, border free. Nice work Dan!!


Thanks!  Alas, now I have to shoot new photos...  Too many projects!  

post #4212 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I ordered another pair of MD's and got them in today. New stickering on the cups. 

I like it. Simple, elegant, border free. Nice work Dan!!

I'm a little jealous. I really like the way that looks in comparison.
post #4213 of 6388

You should be jealous. Just look at that sweet looking hp!! tongue.gif

post #4214 of 6388

I will be making stickers available for anyone who wants to replace them themselves.  They're pretty inexpensive.  I'll put the order up under accessories in about a week, as they are actually a hand-made dual layer process.

post #4215 of 6388

I'll take a set in deep red to coordinate with my red/black vmoda cable. very_evil_smiley.gif FTW...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review