Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 263  

post #3931 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

 

 

If you need closed alternatives, try the ATH-W3000ANV, or W5000, or even the W1000X.

 

I haven't heard the other two to give any opinion, but the W3000ANV is a very worthy upgrade... especially if you value midrange.

 

If you can afford higher, then I think Fostex TH900 is the ultimate closed headphone.

I'm sure those are nice but I am with Sonitus in that background noise ruins music enjoyment (for me at least) and I don't think those wood headphones isolate as much as I would need. I consider the DT770 with leather pads the minimum- anything below their ability to drown outside noise is something I would not consider. That's why I am selling my K550 (excellent headphone), keeping my 2 DT770's and most likely picking a pair of these up soon (if someone has a pair they want to sell me).

post #3932 of 6388
Quote (Click to show)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

 

 

If you need closed alternatives, try the ATH-W3000ANV, or W5000, or even the W1000X.

 

I haven't heard the other two to give any opinion, but the W3000ANV is a very worthy upgrade... especially if you value midrange.

 

If you can afford higher, then I think Fostex TH900 is the ultimate closed headphone.

 

 

The headphones that I seem to enjoy the most have a frequency response that is relatively flat between 30-1000 Hz.  Not ruler flat, mind you, but generally no significant variations across this range.  

 

My Denon D5000 with J-Money pads fit this bill rather nicely, as do the Mad Dogs.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD5000JMoneyPads.pdf

 

I have a friend that has allowed me to borrow his stock D7000 for over a week, and I came away feeling that there were some songs I preferred with the D7000, but overall I still preferred my D5000 with angled pads.

 

I realize that a frequency response graph is not the end all in sonic performance, but this is a rather important characteristic that I have found to be very useful in my headphone analysis.  The W5000 looks promising, but the W1000X appears to have a noticeable hump at around 95-100 Hz with the sub-base dropping off rather quickly.  The Fostex TH900 (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf) looks very good as well.  

 

That said, if I'm going to spend over $500, I would really need to hear them for a significant amount of time before I'd feel comfortable purchasing them.  I initially bought the Denon D5000 because my Sennheiser HD595's (http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD595.pdf) just didn't have the bass impact I craved.  It was not the right sound signature for me.  It looks similar to the W1000X graph.  At present, I am very happy with the current sound signature of my headphones (MD and D5000).  I always welcome an improvement, but I'm not out to fix anything now as I was when I first shopped around and discovered the D5000.

 

The Mad Dogs were initially purchased to replace my ATH-M50s in my office, but they turned out to be so nice that they directly compete with my D5000 at home, especially when sound isolation is factored in.  Getting the Denons recabled now, and I can't wait to get them back to really put them to a test with the Mad Dogs.

post #3933 of 6388

So I'm still in the trial period to see if the MD are a keeper.  The only area that I am struggling with are the Mids.  My current headphone is the D2000 so going from that to the MD is definitely an adjustment.  I feel that sometimes the mids blend the low's and high's together to sound like mush. One album that comes to mind is The Black Keys El Camino.  Curious if anyone EQ's their MD to tame the mids?  If so, what setting are you use.

post #3934 of 6388

Well, you're talking about a garage band gone good. I won't pretend to know anything about the sound engineer who mixed this cd, I do have it BTW, but you might try some other material that is know for good mids and see what you think.

post #3935 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 you might try some other material that is know for good mids and see what you think.

 

Recommendations....

 

On another note,I noticed you have the Asgard 2.  How does this sound with the MD's.  I currently have the Asgard and have been wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

post #3936 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadley View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 you might try some other material that is know for good mids and see what you think.

 

Recommendations....

 

On another note,I noticed you have the Asgard 2.  How does this sound with the MD's.  I currently have the Asgard and have been wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

Whenever the Lyr 2 comes out I'm getting it, so I can also talk to you about that, haha. 

post #3937 of 6388

With me going from a headphone with very little mid's to a headphone with mids is a difference that I need to get used to.

post #3938 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitus mirus View Post

The Mad Dogs were initially purchased to replace my ATH-M50s in my office, but they turned out to be so nice that they directly compete with my D5000 at home, especially when sound isolation is factored in.  Getting the Denons recabled now, and I can't wait to get them back to really put them to a test with the Mad Dogs.

How's the MD sound stage vs the Denon's?
post #3939 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Did that person bring their setup to the meet?

 

If your able to bring your setup with you.  Most do not.  They come to hear others and other stuff they have on short list and things they most likely won't pay for.  

That is sort of a paradox. You say most people do not bring their stuff, yet that's the point of a meet. Everybody brings their stuff so that others can try it out...if nobody brings their set-ups, there will be no equipment.

post #3940 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

That is sort of a paradox. You say most people do not bring their stuff, yet that's the point of a meet. Everybody brings their stuff so that others can try it out...if nobody brings their set-ups, there will be no equipment.

I said setups not stuff.  stuff can be a pair of headphones.  Setups is totally different.  

 

Again - Did that person bring their setup to the meet?

 

Sounds like you never attended one.  I could be wrong.  

 

The one(s) I attended few people brought their entire setups.  Sure most people bring their headphones - but that's not what we're taking about here.  We're - or should I say - I'm talking about entire setups.  The last meet I went to I only took headphones.  So did "MOST" people that was there.  Only a select few brought their entire setups.  Like the vendors.  Headamp, CA, yeah - vendors and very few others.  So again.  Yes "most" people will not bring their entire setups.  

 

Again - the one(s) I been to.


Edited by preproman - 3/4/13 at 3:59pm
post #3941 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

Just curious (I don't want to start a whole debate, because obviously it's all subjective), why do you rank the T1 so low to be only a side-step to the MD and HE500? I use mine for mastering and can't say it's one of my favorite headphones, but I still find it miles away from the MD in terms of detail retrieval and sonic accuracy.

 

 

There's no way IMO the T1's is a side grade to the Mad Dogs.  For me it's a clear upgrade.  

post #3942 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I said setups not stuff.  stuff can be a pair of headphones.  Setups is totally different.  

 

Again - Did that person bring their setup to the meet?

 

Sounds like you never attended one.  I could be wrong.  

 

The one(s) I attended few people brought their entire setups.  Sure most people bring their headphones - but that's not what we're taking about here.  We're - or should I say - I'm talking about entire setups.  The last meet I went to I only took headphones.  So did "MOST" people that was there.  Only a select few brought their entire setups.  Like the vendors.  Headamp, CA, yeah - vendors and very few others.  So again.  Yes "most" people will not bring their entire setups.  

 

Again - the one(s) I been to.

Actually I went to one two days ago. And almost everyone who attended brought their 'set-ups'

 

And I was never talking about the other person. I don't even know who you're referring to.


Edited by anoxy - 3/4/13 at 4:03pm
post #3943 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoxy View Post

Actually I went to one two days ago. And almost everyone who attended brought their 'set-ups'

 

And I was never talking about the other person. I don't even know who you're referring to.

 

 

That was the point of my first post that you jumped in on.  

 

Good for you.  You won't see that here..  

 

Later..

post #3944 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post


How's the MD sound stage vs the Denon's?

I don't really notice much of a difference between headphones.  It seems to be more of the recording than the headphones.  There is a difference between open and closed headphones, but that is about all I have noticed.

 

The Virtual Barber Shop is an amazing example of how sound stage is more of a result of the recording.  Put your headphones on, turn up the volume a bit, close your eyes, and prepare to be amazed.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IUDTlvagjJA#!

post #3945 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadley View Post

So I'm still in the trial period to see if the MD are a keeper.  The only area that I am struggling with are the Mids.  My current headphone is the D2000 so going from that to the MD is definitely an adjustment.  I feel that sometimes the mids blend the low's and high's together to sound like mush. One album that comes to mind is The Black Keys El Camino.  Curious if anyone EQ's their MD to tame the mids?  If so, what setting are you use.

It's funny you mentioned that album. I was just noticing the same issue. In all honesty it sounds like mushy oozing crap when I listen to it with the Mad Dogs and other more revealing setups.
I'm pretty sure it is the album.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review