or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 258  

post #3856 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

I think this is a very good statement. The HE-6 when hooked up properly sounds divine, and the only thing I have heard that sways me from buying Stax. 

 

But, under $1k I think either the HE-500 or Mad Dogs are really the best "bang for buck" options. I could see people sitting down at a table and comparing the Mad Dogs and HE-500 and there being a split on which pair they prefer more. Toss in the fact the MD cost less than half the cost of the HE-500, and really this is a rare winner in headphones. 

The only drawback for the HE-6 is how fussy it is. For now, it's more of a distraction than anything else. However

I'm certain within some time of eventually I'll grab me up a nice speaker amp to discover their true potential.

 

 

I tend to look at how good I feel x headphone is..not how good of a value x headphone is.

 

But definitely for those with budget constrictions that statement holds true.

 

I just look at the HE-400-500, Paradox, Sennheiser HD650-700, LCD-2 and I'd take the Mad Dog over all of them.

 

It is important to note these are just my preferences and you're free to think the MD sucks compared to LCD-2, etc etc.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


Funny you should mention that. I had the rare opportunity at the SF meet to A/B the Stax 009 on its own Stax amp, whatever it was, and the HE6 out of a little tripath or some such speaker amp. What great fun that was! Arguably two "best of the bests" (thank you Jazzfan!). Finesse, speed, air and effortlessness vs. a more visceral finesse, impact, richness and air. In the little time I had, I couldn't pick a favorite. If I were to purchase one of the setups, it would hands down be the HE6 rig - it's gotta be 1/3 the price.

As for the MDs being best under $1000 - definitely best closed under $1000 that I've heard, arguably the best open or closed under $1000 - there is some great competition in the open category - even the venerable HD650.

That is my gripe with Stax; they lack the visceral/physically emotional qualities I appreciate from ortho's.

 

I've considered a Stax rig, however I can't justify the $10k when I know it would be my second-tier rig.

 

Then again, I've caught a lot of flack for my opinions. The SR-009 has its shortcoming's same as any can. IMHO.

 

 

Definitely best closed under $1k and you can always argue (as I will) best under $1k.

However I will not forget the entire HD650 experience. They are still my all-time fav headphone.

 

So with all the great competition, there's sure to be a can that fits your preference.

 

It's one of the biggest reasons I recommend people stay in "mid-fi" you can amp/can roll like crazy.

post #3857 of 6388

These look beastly, I would buy them if I had money to spare and needed more headphones :P

Maybe in the future.

post #3858 of 6388

Regarding the comparisons of the MD to the lcd2.2 and he500, IMO the MD does get to a very healthy percentage of those two hp's. The old MD used to be voiced closer to the lcd2.2. Now it's somewhere in between the the he500 and lcd. Overall it's still closer the the lcd to my ears. 

 

Say what you will, the fact remains that you have a $300 hp that is able to put of legitimate competition against a $700 and $1k headphone. That's incredibly impressive. Also consider that the MD is more comfortable than either and is able to offer excellent isolation while still maintaining a good soundstage. That's quite an accomplishment. 

post #3859 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

The only drawback for the HE-6 is how fussy it is. For now, it's more of a distraction than anything else. However

I'm certain within some time of eventually I'll grab me up a nice speaker amp to discover their true potential.

 

 

I tend to look at how good I feel x headphone is..not how good of a value x headphone is.

 

But definitely for those with budget constrictions that statement holds true.

 

I just look at the HE-400-500, Paradox, Sennheiser HD650-700, LCD-2 and I'd take the Mad Dog over all of them.

 

It is important to note these are just my preferences and you're free to think the MD sucks compared to LCD-2, etc etc.

 

 

 

 

That is my gripe with Stax; they lack the visceral/physically emotional qualities I appreciate from ortho's.

 

I've considered a Stax rig, however I can't justify the $10k when I know it would be my second-tier rig.

 

Then again, I've caught a lot of flack for my opinions. The SR-009 has its shortcoming's same as any can. IMHO.

 

 

Definitely best closed under $1k and you can always argue (as I will) best under $1k.

However I will not forget the entire HD650 experience. They are still my all-time fav headphone.

 

So with all the great competition, there's sure to be a can that fits your preference.

 

It's one of the biggest reasons I recommend people stay in "mid-fi" you can amp/can roll like crazy.

C,

 

Stop messing around and grab a First Watt.  Fuss = over.biggrin.gif

 

Yeah - the sub 1K market is stiff.  Now even more so with the new Fostex TH-600 just about out.  

 

I feel the same about a Stax rig.  Man 10K is a tough pill to swallow.   Amp / DAC rolling is more fun.  

 

"IMO" and this is just "IMO"  The Mad Dogs rule the sub $500 market with stiff competition coming from the 650s and now the AKG K702 65th anvs.  The sub 1K market has more worthy competitors so to speak.  

 

HE-400 = no - "IMO"

HE-500 = yes

HE-5LE = you'll be surprised.

HE-4 = surprise

LCD-2.2 = Hot topic

HD-650 = up for debate

HD-600 = same I guess

AKG K702 65th = A real good open headphone.

 

Like you said, if you have budget constrictions the Mad Dog is the best bang for your buck - Hands down IMO..   

post #3860 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

C,

 

Stop messing around and grab a First Watt.  Fuss = over.biggrin.gif

 

Yeah - the sub 1K market is stiff.  Now even more so with the new Fostex TH-600 just about out.  

 

I feel the same about a Stax rig.  Man 10K is a tough pill to swallow.   Amp / DAC rolling is more fun.  

 

"IMO" and this is just "IMO"  The Mad Dogs rule the sub $500 market with stiff competition coming from the 650s and now the AKG K702 65th anvs.  The sub 1K market has more worthy competitors so to speak.  

 

HE-400 = no - "IMO"

HE-500 = yes

HE-5LE = you'll be surprised.

HE-4 = surprise

LCD-2.2 = Hot topic

HD-650 = up for debate

HD-600 = same I guess

AKG K702 65th = A real good open headphone.

 

Like you said, if you have budget constrictions the Mad Dog is the best bang for your buck - Hands down IMO..   

After I finish up an LCD-3 rig, I'll move on to the HE-6 pending how I feel about the HD800.

 

But it's really all about budget, this hobby is all about sinking that big $ for those

small % improvements.

post #3861 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

After I finish up an LCD-3 rig, I'll move on to the HE-6 pending how I feel about the HD800.

 

But it's really all about budget, this hobby is all about sinking that big $ for those

small % improvements.

 

 

Well, the Statement Amp might just be the amp that does it all.


Edited by preproman - 3/2/13 at 5:56am
post #3862 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

Well, the Statement Amp might just be the amp that does it all.

Perhaps for ortho's, I still doubt the HD800 being the "most" ideal on SS.

 

Although, statement hybrid solves that.

post #3863 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

After I finish up an LCD-3 rig, I'll move on to the HE-6 pending how I feel about the HD800.

 

But it's really all about budget, this hobby is all about sinking that big $ for those

small % improvements.


Nah, don't agree with the last statement - well, I take that back, for some (many here?) it is.  I was headed that direction, and made a choice to come back to mid-fi and look around for my sweet spot where diminishing returns are not worth going further for my tastes and ears.  I'm pretty close right now, with the MD's.  I am now messing around with (trans)portable amps and amp/source combos.  So far -

 

Pico Slim (with the dog pads no less) - not as bad as you would think, but not ideal.

 

Pico DAC/Amp - great piece of kit, second one I've owned, and did a fine job.  It moved on to try something else,

 

iBasso PB2/DB2 - pretty good to very good.

 

Incoming - Centrance HIFI-M8 - high hopes for this one. I like Centrance as a company, and their gear.

 

Peachtree Nova headphone section - Brilliantly good source, surprisingly not that powerful of an amp, but with a huge power supply and that wonderful source section, it is a really nice combo.

 

Tried at the recent SF meet:

 

Sunrise Project tube hybrid - Really stinkin' good!

 

Eddie Current Kit based balanced 4 monolithic chip amp, single ended - really stinkin' good also

 

High end Burson (Conductor, I think) - Teetering on my favorite

 

Schiit Lyr - Very, very good, but a bit on the syrupy, viscous side of neutral - it really added it's own sound.  A really nice sound granted, but the Lyr (as I'm sure it is supposed to) just drips "tubes" all over the music.

 

Schiit Modi/Magni - A stone bargain for a $200 mini stack that was likely better than my current iBasso PB2/DB2, but nothing really special.

 

The AMB B22 - A wonderful amp that funnels pure, unaltered music to the headphone - I could not detect any coloration - Really, really, really good.  Best solid state amp I've heard.

 

The AMB mini3 portable amp - Holy crap this is a good amp!  I was a/b switching with the B22, and I was blown away at how good this little amp is.  Very likely the best portable amp I've heard. (High performance version, Li-Ion battery option - either you or Mr. X builds it).

 

A couple of high end Tube amps I did my best to forget about, because they sounded so good, and cost so much...  I think one of them bit CEE TEE...

post #3864 of 6388
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


Nah, don't agree with the last statement - well, I take that back, for some (many here?) it is.  I was headed that direction, and made a choice to come back to mid-fi and look around for my sweet spot where diminishing returns are not worth going further for my tastes and ears.  I'm pretty close right now, with the MD's.  I am now messing around with (trans)portable amps and amp/source combos.  So far -

 

Pico Slim (with the dog pads no less) - not as bad as you would think, but not ideal.

 

Pico DAC/Amp - great piece of kit, second one I've owned, and did a fine job.  It moved on to try something else,

 

iBasso PB2/DB2 - pretty good to very good.

 

Incoming - Centrance HIFI-M8 - high hopes for this one. I like Centrance as a company, and their gear.

 

Peachtree Nova headphone section - Brilliantly good source, surprisingly not that powerful of an amp, but with a huge power supply and that wonderful source section, it is a really nice combo.

 

Tried at the recent SF meet:

 

Sunrise Project tube hybrid - Really stinkin' good!

 

Eddie Current Kit based balanced 4 monolithic chip amp, single ended - really stinkin' good also

 

High end Burson (Conductor, I think) - Teetering on my favorite

 

Schiit Lyr - Very, very good, but a bit on the syrupy, viscous side of neutral - it really added it's own sound.  A really nice sound granted, but the Lyr (as I'm sure it is supposed to) just drips "tubes" all over the music.

 

Schiit Modi/Magni - A stone bargain for a $200 mini stack that was likely better than my current iBasso PB2/DB2, but nothing really special.

 

The AMB B22 - A wonderful amp that funnels pure, unaltered music to the headphone - I could not detect any coloration - Really, really, really good.  Best solid state amp I've heard.

 

The AMB mini3 portable amp - Holy crap this is a good amp!  I was a/b switching with the B22, and I was blown away at how good this little amp is.  Very likely the best portable amp I've heard. (High performance version, Li-Ion battery option - either you or Mr. X builds it).

 

A couple of high end Tube amps I did my best to forget about, because they sounded so good, and cost so much...  I think one of them bit CEE TEE...

 

 

 

I ment the nature of the hobby yields big $ for small % improvements. AKA diminished returns.

 

 

Project Sunrise is one of my fav budget options out there. Not as good as Lyr, but also cheaper and 

a really nice match with the MD.

 

 

EC gear speaks for itself. So no surprise there. Haha.


Edited by paradoxper - 3/2/13 at 7:07am
post #3865 of 6388

Anyone heard the MD with Grace m902?

post #3866 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpking View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Picked up the Atoms for Peace first second album, AMOK. If anyone wants me to comment on the sound with the Mad Dogs, I can comment on Friday.

Yup my favorite new HP album - I bought the heavyweight triple gatefold LP... Some magic in there with the MDs

My brother got the triple gatefold LP too, I just got the regular CDtongue.gif

post #3867 of 6388

OK,

 

So how do you know when you're entering the Law of diminished returns?  Is it the same for everyone across the board, or is it different for each person.  How do you know?

post #3868 of 6388

Easy, Accumulated experience with different gear. 

 

 

I don't think there are really any hard and fast rules..you learn as you go along


Edited by paradoxper - 3/2/13 at 8:49am
post #3869 of 6388

I guess my returns have not diminished yet.  As I'm recycling the same money to fund different gear.  

 

post #3870 of 6388

I personally believe this hobby is super subjective, although you'll know if you're paying 

x amount for x% improvement.

 

I do not necessarily believe that's inherently a diminished return. 

 

When you lose focus on the music is when I believe you've stepped foot into diminished territory.

 

Similarly a $100 rig could be someone's end-game, etc etc.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review