or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 257  

post #3841 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


It's an easy one for me - Mad Dogs are quite similar to LCD2.  Too similar for me to feel the need to upgrade to them at the price multiple of the LCD2's over the MD's.  HD650's are a kissing cousin to the Mad Dogs, can be had used at or under $300-ish on occasion, and are a nice, open headphone alternative to the closed Mad Dogs.  I've also always liked the HD650 sound signature.  I'd like to have a pair (or possibly the HD600 - I have never heard them though) for classical and the like, that do a bit better with an open can.

 

That said - if I was more able to use open cans than I am, the LCD2 would be a nice upgrade from the Mad Dogs, though diminishing returns really hits hard on that price/value comparison.  The LCD2's are arguably superior, but they are open, and I think more than 3x the price.

 

The HE6 and HE5LE, and the HE500 all got my attention as well.  Lots of cool open options out there.  I really wish I'd paid more attention and gotten a listen to the TH900, Ed-8 and the AT W3000 Aniv, or whatever it was.  By all accounts, I missed 3 very special closed headphones.

 

EDIT - I forgot to add that I spent a few minutes @ the Eddie Current table, and A/B'd the balanced LCD2 against my single ended Mad Dogs on that little balanced kit amp.  They really, really sound similar.  Very similar.  I expected a more expansive sound stage from the LCD2, but it really was not, at least to my ears.

 

I also listened to my pair and all 3 of Mr. Speaker's pairs of MD's.  They are very consistent.  I could not detect a variation in sound across all 4 pairs.  That really set me at ease knowing that one gets a consistent product when one orders the MD's.

 

The Ed 8 wasn't all that special IMO. Maybe it's me... but they sounded quite grainy at higher volume. Like something was clipping inside.

 

But yeah, what a pity. You missed the TH900 and W3000ANV. I'd say that if you don't want to spend your money on the LCD-2, then either of those 2 would be worthy upgrades.

 

By the way, there was an HD 600 at the meet as well. They sounded very much like the 650. Just slightly less warm, and with (markedly) less bass impact.

 

All this talk is making me seriously consider purchasing a pair of Mad Dogs now... Paycheck just came in as well...

 

I don't particularly care for more bass now, to be honest. The ES10 has shown me how much less of a basshead I am. But I certainly can appreciate a pair of cans that gives me more midrange presence than the ES10.

I gave in, Bill-P. Listening to them nowbiggrin.gif

post #3842 of 6388

I just got my maddogs in not long ago. They were packaged up carefully and well. They sound great so far with everything ive thrown at them. Incredible comfort as well. Ill post lengthier impressions later, but I'd just like to +1 other posters to this thread that suggested these as a great buy. They seem to be a remarkable deal.

 

Thanks Mr. Speakers!


Edited by jevans2025 - 3/1/13 at 5:25pm
post #3843 of 6388

I hate you all, and especially you, MrSpeakers. These headphones are so darn good, I don't even think my DT880's(that I'm getting wood cups for(lots of $$..)) can best these. Lets hope I'm forgetting the sound of the DT880's(haven't heard them in a good month).

post #3844 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


It's an easy one for me - Mad Dogs are quite similar to LCD2.  Too similar for me to feel the need to upgrade to them at the price multiple of the LCD2's over the MD's.  

 

Yup. Been saying this for a minute now. They are way similar.

 

That said - if I was more able to use open cans than I am, the LCD2 would be a nice upgrade from the Mad Dogs, though diminishing returns really hits hard on that price/value comparison.  The LCD2's are arguably superior, but they are open, and I think more than 3x the price.

 

I don't feel the Mad Dogs feel closed in, nor do I feel they are THAT far behind the LCD-2. The LCD-2's have more weight and presence, but to be fair..

that's really comparative to all cans.

 

 

 

 


Edited by paradoxper - 3/1/13 at 7:30pm
post #3845 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post


Yup, we seem to feel the same. I think diminishing returns really makes north of $500 new price for headphones my upper comfort limit. I've gone decently north of that, and listened well north of that, and I lose the value proposition for me. Well except for the whole Stax thing. Mad Dogs really hit my sweet spot.
post #3846 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


Yup, we seem to feel the same. I think diminishing returns really makes north of $500 new price for headphones my upper comfort limit. I've gone decently north of that, and listened well north of that, and I lose the value proposition for me. Well except for the whole Stax thing. Mad Dogs really hit my sweet spot.

I think the only reasonable option north of $500 is the HE-6 with a nice speaker amp.

That'll push you the furthest into Stax territory without hemorrhaging your wallet.

 

But I definitely think the Mad Dog is the best under $1k, preference varying, ymmv, etc etc.

post #3847 of 6388
Kind of contemplating between getting the Magni, Asgard, or bumping up $50 for the Asgard 2 now honestly. The reviews are all wonderful, and Dan had a Magni at the SF meet as well. Any swayers?
post #3848 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin View Post

Kind of contemplating between getting the Magni, Asgard, or bumping up $50 for the Asgard 2 now honestly. The reviews are all wonderful, and Dan had a Magni at the SF meet as well. Any swayers?

The Asgard will be better. But get the Lyr.

post #3849 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin View Post

Kind of contemplating between getting the Magni, Asgard, or bumping up $50 for the Asgard 2 now honestly. The reviews are all wonderful, and Dan had a Magni at the SF meet as well. Any swayers?
My opinion of the magni - it is a good to very good $100 amp. I have not heard the Asgard, did hear the Lyr, liked it a bunch.
post #3850 of 6388

I have the original Asgard (well, after they added the relay) and the Magni, and have heard the MD's (Dog Pad version only) with the Lyr.  I liked the Lyr the best, but still haven't heard it with the Alpha Pads.  I personally prefer the Asgard to the Magni, but I'd bet there's some who would prefer the latter.  I feel the Asgard has better grip on the low end and is smoother all around.  The Magni is certainly brighter in comparison (at least mine is).  That being said, I'd wait until the Asgard 2 gets into more hands.  It seems like that might be the way to go.  

post #3851 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin View Post

Kind of contemplating between getting the Magni, Asgard, or bumping up $50 for the Asgard 2 now honestly. The reviews are all wonderful, and Dan had a Magni at the SF meet as well. Any swayers?


They sound very good with the Asgard (1), better with the Lyr (and a nice set of tubes)

post #3852 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I think the only reasonable option north of $500 is the HE-6 with a nice speaker amp.

That'll push you the furthest into Stax territory without hemorrhaging your wallet.

 

But I definitely think the Mad Dog is the best under $1k, preference varying, ymmv, etc etc.

 

I think this is a very good statement. The HE-6 when hooked up properly sounds divine, and the only thing I have heard that sways me from buying Stax. 

 

But, under $1k I think either the HE-500 or Mad Dogs are really the best "bang for buck" options. I could see people sitting down at a table and comparing the Mad Dogs and HE-500 and there being a split on which pair they prefer more. Toss in the fact the MD cost less than half the cost of the HE-500, and really this is a rare winner in headphones. 

post #3853 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

The Asgard will be better. But get the Lyr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

My opinion of the magni - it is a good to very good $100 amp. I have not heard the Asgard, did hear the Lyr, liked it a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

I have the original Asgard (well, after they added the relay) and the Magni, and have heard the MD's (Dog Pad version only) with the Lyr.  I liked the Lyr the best, but still haven't heard it with the Alpha Pads.  I personally prefer the Asgard to the Magni, but I'd bet there's some who would prefer the latter.  I feel the Asgard has better grip on the low end and is smoother all around.  The Magni is certainly brighter in comparison (at least mine is).  That being said, I'd wait until the Asgard 2 gets into more hands.  It seems like that might be the way to go.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS View Post


They sound very good with the Asgard (1), better with the Lyr (and a nice set of tubes)

That's true, the Lyr is without doubt a great pair. I am looking for solid state though, and the Lyr is almost $200 more than both the Asgards and $300 for the Magni for the budget oriented group. The Magni and Asgard are getting quite evenly mixed reviews. The Asgard 2 is actually getting phenomanol reviews, but not sure how much are from the new-toy syndrome.
post #3854 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

I think the only reasonable option north of $500 is the HE-6 with a nice speaker amp.
That'll push you the furthest into Stax territory without hemorrhaging your wallet.

But I definitely think the Mad Dog is the best under $1k, preference varying, ymmv, etc etc.
Funny you should mention that. I had the rare opportunity at the SF meet to A/B the Stax 009 on its own Stax amp, whatever it was, and the HE6 out of a little tripath or some such speaker amp. What great fun that was! Arguably two "best of the bests" (thank you Jazzfan!). Finesse, speed, air and effortlessness vs. a more visceral finesse, impact, richness and air. In the little time I had, I couldn't pick a favorite. If I were to purchase one of the setups, it would hands down be the HE6 rig - it's gotta be 1/3 the price.

As for the MDs being best under $1000 - definitely best closed under $1000 that I've heard, arguably the best open or closed under $1000 - there is some great competition in the open category - even the venerable HD650.
Edited by aamefford - 3/1/13 at 10:52pm
post #3855 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Picked up the Atoms for Peace first second album, AMOK. If anyone wants me to comment on the sound with the Mad Dogs, I can comment on Friday.

Yup my favorite new HP album - I bought the heavyweight triple gatefold LP... Some magic in there with the MDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review