Thanks Dan, very helpful.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 3/12/13 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 251post #3751 of 64132/26/13 at 6:02pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3752 of 64132/26/13 at 6:34pmpost #3753 of 64132/26/13 at 6:41pmQuote:
I got him a pair of Beyerdynamic DT660(didn't buy it, but suggested it) because he loves classical and doesn't want to use an amp. But I'll make him jealous of them.post #3754 of 64132/26/13 at 8:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by deafanddumb
Checked all the info I can for your latest Alpha headphones.....and the only item of concern seems to be for the quality of the original cable (although from your recent video I see you supply short 3.5 and long 6.3). Being in the non returnable UK, just wanted to know if you are able to upgrade the original Fostex cabling if requested? I'm not very techie, to would struggle to fix or replace myself. I'd pay of course....
Hi... The standard Fostex cable simply suffers from oxidation on the mini plug that goes into the headphone, perhaps because it can't rotate. The symptom is "static" in one or both channels, or a dropout in a channel that goes away by moving the cable. I polish the cable tip and treat it with deoxit. About 1-2% of people call to say they have a "bad cable," fortunately it's easily fixed by wiping it with a microfiber cloth and a little rubbing alcohol, or another deoxit treatment.
That said, I also provide the thinner, lighter and shorter V-Moda cable for users with portable players, or wanting a shorter cable on their desktop (you need to provide your own 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor if your gear has 1/4" (6.3) jacks).
Should a warranty issue arise worldwide, I pay the shipping to correct the problem.post #3755 of 64132/26/13 at 8:40pm
My stock T50rp cable makes noise scratchy on the 1/4" side. I love that it locks in place on the headphones end and wish someone would make a similar cable at higher quality.post #3756 of 64132/26/13 at 9:08pmpost #3757 of 64132/26/13 at 9:14pmpost #3758 of 64132/26/13 at 11:59pmQuote:You might want to try upgrading your gain opamp to something like an NE5532 or OPA2134. The NJM2068 (which I believe is what's used in jds labs' version) can start clipping at lower gains than the other 2 opamps mentioned...Quote:Hmm, I might always be wrong, but I was told that getting a more powerful transformer would not be helpful, since it's not actually converting AC to DC, the regulators are doing that inside the O2, and they convert to 12vdc, so anything above that number just makes the regulators run hotter...Originally Posted by sonitus mirus
I am using a 16VAC 400mA power supply with my O2 and do not appear to be having any issues driving the Mad Dogs. I also have a 2 Vrms input signal from my DAC feeding the O2. I think the power supply could be a major factor in why some people are getting drastically different results with the O2. Now that I am using Mad Dogs instead of ATH-M50s at work, I may step up to a 20VAC 500mA power supply.
Edit: Here is a link to a 20VAC 500mA power supply for the O2 from the same manufacturer as my current 16VAC 400mA power supply.
The shipping costs almost as much as the power supply.post #3759 of 64132/27/13 at 12:17amQuote:Originally Posted by modulor
I'm likely going to have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Mad Dogs soon, so I will definitely be comparing them to my HE-400 eventually. I think for HE-400 fans, it is sounding more and more like the best closed companion, so I would definitely report back with my opinion for others that may have the same questions regarding the two.
Nice! Please do let me know how you like them.post #3760 of 64132/27/13 at 5:16amThere may be a slight strain using a 20VAC power supply into the O2, but it is well within the recommended specs and it should not run much hotter than usual. It is the current that is key here. I've seen 16VAC 1A power supplies being used. Higher available current should make a difference on some headphones. I do have a background in electronics only as a Navy Sonar Technician, but it has been nearly 20 years since I practiced this trade. Perhaps Dan can weigh in and give us his perspective on the matter?post #3761 of 64132/27/13 at 5:54amQuote:
If your HRT Music Streamer ii+ is anything like the non-plus version, it puts out 2.25Vrms. On AC power, the O2's maximum gain = 7 / Vinput. So a gain above ~3.1x is going to overload the input and clip. The default gains from JDS (and most anywhere else) are usually set to 2.5x and 6.5x. So high gain will definitely distort. An O2 definitely gives you enough rope to hang yourself with. Now as to why 2.5x gain isn't enough, next question...
JDS ships the WAU12-200 wall wart. This is the default transformer listed for the O2, probably because it's cheaper (under $6) than the alternatives.
On the O2 details page, it states explicitly that if you plan to use power-hungry low impedance headphones (e.g. Hifiman planars), you should use a 14+VAC transformer at 400+mA. Specifically, that means a WAU16-400 (16VAC, 400mA) is probably the ideal O2 transformer for the princely sum of almost $11. You can use up to a 20VAC (with whatever current spec you can find) wall wart with the O2, but anything above a WAU16-400 is likely unnecessary.
I suspect running out of supply power is why the low gain is not loud enough for you. An O2 with 2.5x gain from 2.25Vrms theoretically hits 118dB with HE-500, but I think you run out of (chip) power at around 117dB.
But you could eek out a bit more gain with resistor swaps if you need it. Though it could also be a faulty build, I suppose.
Now back to MDs...
Got any CSD waterfalls for the Alpha pads yet, Dan?
Edited by Skavoovie - 2/27/13 at 5:58ampost #3762 of 64132/27/13 at 9:21ampost #3763 of 64132/27/13 at 9:24am
This is good if you have a place to clamp it, like the end of the desk or shelf.post #3764 of 64132/27/13 at 9:29amQuote:Originally Posted by MattTCG
This is good if you have a place to clamp it, like the end of the desk or shelf.
I probably should have stated this first, but it would have to be a standing one as my desk is tiny and there really isn't room to place it. More importantly I wouldn't want one of the kiddies to be able to reach my dogs.post #3765 of 64132/27/13 at 9:32am
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Question about tube amps 27 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.6 39 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 50 seconds ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Looking for recommendations for a new headphone 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 2 minutes ago
- › Best music while stoned? 3 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe