Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 222  

post #3316 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper2075 View Post

I've finally settled on getting a set of Mad Dog's with the Alpha Pads.

 

My question to those that have them here is what kind of power is needed to make these really perform.

Now unfortunately I have a limited selection of portable DAC/Amps to pick from that will work with my phone but here are the options that are confirmed to be working.

 

 

. Apex Glacier (USB DAC/amp) 
. Asus Xonar U3 (USB DAC/amp)
. Audio-gd NFB-16 (USB DAC/amp)
. ELE EL-D01:
. GoVibe Magnum (USB DAC/amp):
. GoVibe Martini-U (USB DAC/amp):
. GoVibe Vulcan (USB DAC/amp):
. HRT HeadStreamer Mobile (USB DAC/amp):
. HRT microStreamer (USB DAC/amp):
. HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/Amp: bug fixed by HeadAmp
. Headstage Lyrix Pro USB total (USB DAC/amp):
. iBasso D-Zero (USB DAC/amp):
. iBasso D12 (USB DAC/amp):
. Leckerton UHA-6S MKII (USB DAC/amp):
. MyST 1866 PortaDAC (USB DAC/amp):
. Objective DAC (ODAC):
. ODAC+O2 (USB DAC/amp):
. RSA Intruder (USB DAC/amp):
. RSA Predator (USB DAC/amp):
. Sony PHA-1 (USB DAC/amp):
. Stoner Acoustics UD100:
. VentureCraft Go-Dap X (USB DAC/amp): USB cable provided by VentureCraft
. xDuoo XP-1 (USB DAC/amp):
 
I would love to keep it under/around $200 dollars, because honestly if I have to go higher I may just go with a Schiit MODI/MAGNI setup both at work and at home but that would be $400 and isn't portable
I know a couple of the options above would work great but they cost $500 or so, is using a iBasso D-Zero worth it? Is the iBasso D12 that stronger in the amp section? I mainly listen at work and at home but would like to have the portable option to listen by the pool or outside somewhere.
 
Thanks for the feedback

I haven't heard many combos with the Mag Dog (Modi/Magni, uDAC2, D1, ODAC/O2, D-Zero, and HeadStreamer), but of those I've heard the ODAC/O2 was definitely the standout (with the Schiit combo coming in a close second).

post #3317 of 6388

The phenomenon with bass and driver distance to ears are well-documented especially with HE400/500 (which also happen to be planars) pad-rolling; the closer your ears are to the drivers, the richer but less controlled the bass becomes, and as your ears are farther away e.g. with thicker pads, the bass becomes tighter, more controlled, but loses the fullness/"growl".

post #3318 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper2075 View Post

I've finally settled on getting a set of Mad Dog's with the Alpha Pads.

 

My question to those that have them here is what kind of power is needed to make these really perform.

Now unfortunately I have a limited selection of portable DAC/Amps to pick from that will work with my phone but here are the options that are confirmed to be working.

 

 

. Apex Glacier (USB DAC/amp) 
. Asus Xonar U3 (USB DAC/amp)
. Audio-gd NFB-16 (USB DAC/amp)
. ELE EL-D01:
. GoVibe Magnum (USB DAC/amp):
. GoVibe Martini-U (USB DAC/amp):
. GoVibe Vulcan (USB DAC/amp):
. HRT HeadStreamer Mobile (USB DAC/amp):
. HRT microStreamer (USB DAC/amp):
. HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/Amp: bug fixed by HeadAmp
. Headstage Lyrix Pro USB total (USB DAC/amp):
. iBasso D-Zero (USB DAC/amp):
. iBasso D12 (USB DAC/amp):
. Leckerton UHA-6S MKII (USB DAC/amp):
. MyST 1866 PortaDAC (USB DAC/amp):
. Objective DAC (ODAC):
. ODAC+O2 (USB DAC/amp):
. RSA Intruder (USB DAC/amp):
. RSA Predator (USB DAC/amp):
. Sony PHA-1 (USB DAC/amp):
. Stoner Acoustics UD100:
. VentureCraft Go-Dap X (USB DAC/amp): USB cable provided by VentureCraft
. xDuoo XP-1 (USB DAC/amp):
 
I would love to keep it under/around $200 dollars, because honestly if I have to go higher I may just go with a Schiit MODI/MAGNI setup both at work and at home but that would be $400 and isn't portable
I know a couple of the options above would work great but they cost $500 or so, is using a iBasso D-Zero worth it? Is the iBasso D12 that stronger in the amp section? I mainly listen at work and at home but would like to have the portable option to listen by the pool or outside somewhere.
 
Thanks for the feedback


No DACport?

post #3319 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

The phenomenon with bass and driver distance to ears are well-documented especially with HE400/500 (which also happen to be planars) pad-rolling; the closer your ears are to the drivers, the richer but less controlled the bass becomes, and as your ears are farther away e.g. with thicker pads, the bass becomes tighter, more controlled, but loses the fullness/"growl".

This is probably why my bass experience with Denon D5000 headphones is not nearly as loose and uncontrolled with J$ earpads.  The technology of the planar magnetic drivers with the Mad Dogs is certainly "faster" than the more traditional tech of the D5000, but the bass is significantly lacking in impact.  Overall, the Mad Dogs are superior to my D5000s, in my opinion, but I really do enjoy the v-signature of the Denons.  Some music just sounds better to me with the D5000, but if I had to choose only one pair of headphones to cover a rather eclectic genre of song types, I would stick with the MD's.

post #3320 of 6388

Hi all.  In response to your requests for Dog Pad vs Alpha Pad measurements, I've updated the measurement section of my site.   I had to get the site working well again, so it took a bit longer than I hoped.  I've posted measurements, along with a description of the sonic differences for various parts of the spectrum.  This will probably go a long way towards answering why some of the observations around efficiency and bass are different.

 

That said, YMMV and individual perceptions, systems, preferences, and musical choices all affect the outcome, so my observations are of course general ones.  

post #3321 of 6388

Just to be frivolous, it was disturbing to watch a video of you replacing ear pads for the Mad Dogs (Dog Pads to Alpha Pads) with a cat stealing the show. biggrin.gif

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xT2UbATJQ

post #3322 of 6388

I don't know if this has been asked before, how is the durability on these? Not like how much abuse they could take, but if they were put in a case and carried around, how would they last? How strong is the connection between the metal and top part of the headband?

post #3323 of 6388

Dan,can't wait to meet you and hear the Mad Dog at the meet this Sunday.   smily_headphones1.gif

post #3324 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureBeat View Post

I don't know if this has been asked before, how is the durability on these? Not like how much abuse they could take, but if they were put in a case and carried around, how would they last? How strong is the connection between the metal and top part of the headband?

I do this daily since uhm.... Before Christmas some time or other. So far, so good. They are pretty rugged. I use a headroom headphone case, into a messenger bag.
post #3325 of 6388
O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper2075 View Post

I've finally settled on getting a set of Mad Dog's with the Alpha Pads.

My question to those that have them here is what kind of power is needed to make these really perform.
Now unfortunately I have a limited selection of portable DAC/Amps to pick from that will work with my phone but here are the options that are confirmed to be working.


. Apex Glacier (USB DAC/amp) 


. Asus Xonar U3 (USB DAC/amp)


. Audio-gd NFB-16 (USB DAC/amp)


. ELE EL-D01:


. GoVibe Magnum (USB DAC/amp):


. GoVibe Martini-U (USB DAC/amp):


. GoVibe Vulcan (USB DAC/amp):


. HRT HeadStreamer Mobile (USB DAC/amp):


. HRT microStreamer (USB DAC/amp):


. HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/Amp: bug fixed by HeadAmp


. Headstage Lyrix Pro USB total (USB DAC/amp):


. iBasso D-Zero (USB DAC/amp):


. iBasso D12 (USB DAC/amp):


. Leckerton UHA-6S MKII (USB DAC/amp):


. MyST 1866 PortaDAC (USB DAC/amp):


. Objective DAC (ODAC):


. ODAC+O2 (USB DAC/amp):


. RSA Intruder (USB DAC/amp):


. RSA Predator (USB DAC/amp):


. Sony PHA-1 (USB DAC/amp):


. Stoner Acoustics UD100:


. VentureCraft Go-Dap X (USB DAC/amp): USB cable provided by VentureCraft


. xDuoo XP-1 (USB DAC/amp):


 


I would love to keep it under/around $200 dollars, because honestly if I have to go higher I may just go with a Schiit MODI/MAGNI setup both at work and at home but that would be $400 and isn't portable


I know a couple of the options above would work great but they cost $500 or so, is using a iBasso D-Zero worth it? Is the iBasso D12 that stronger in the amp section? I mainly listen at work and at home but would like to have the portable option to listen by the pool or outside somewhere.


 


Thanks for the feedback


I recommend the DragonFly. It's a great awesome sounding dac/amp
post #3326 of 6388
Is there a recommended power output from amps to drive the Mad Dog to "adequate" or "great" levels? I think I read a long while ago someone suggesting 350mW?
post #3327 of 6388

Has anyone tried the Mad Dogs with any of the amps from http://www.garage1217.com/ ?

I wanted to get into tube amps and a DIY build, and this fulfills both for me. I know the horizon could power the MDs, but has anyone tried the sunrise II? I'm also curious about their two new up and coming amps. It looks like the starlight is in a nice affordable range for me, but not sure it has the juice for the MDs. 

 

Would love to hear from anyone that has experience with them. 

post #3328 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakahah View Post

Has anyone tried the Mad Dogs with any of the amps from http://www.garage1217.com/ ?

I wanted to get into tube amps and a DIY build, and this fulfills both for me. I know the horizon could power the MDs, but has anyone tried the sunrise II? I'm also curious about their two new up and coming amps. It looks like the starlight is in a nice affordable range for me, but not sure it has the juice for the MDs. 

 

Would love to hear from anyone that has experience with them. 

PS II can drive the Mad Dogs fine. If you're going the tube/hybrid route I'd still recommend Lyr over PS, but that's not a feasible option for everyone.

In short, PS II has very good detailing, nice bass, good soundstage and optional tube rolling. One downside for me was the 'lack of power' which resulted in limited headroom.

 

Don't read that as PS II lacks the power to drive ortho's, this is just comparatively to other gear.

 

I think it's possible the MD benefits more with the PS II than, say, LCD-2 or HE-500. And my experience with the PS II hasn't been with the AD. I used 003 and 840 pads,

as well as the Dog Pads back before they were released (it was the amp I used to beta test the Dog Pads.)

post #3329 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin View Post

Is there a recommended power output from amps to drive the Mad Dog to "adequate" or "great" levels? I think I read a long while ago someone suggesting 350mW?

Objectively, I can't find the sensitivity spec on the MD website anymore, but I recall it being 92dB/mW back in the 840 pad days.  Extrapolating Tyll's MD power measurements for 90dB (0.52mW) gives me 92.84dB/mW.

 

Please correct me, Dan.

post #3330 of 6388

+1 on the lyr with the MD's. Some might consider it overkill, but it's an amazing pairing. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review