A lot of measurements show the T50RP, modded or not, with a peak around 10KHz. This is even true of the Paradox. It's not a big peak, generally, but that could explain any sibilance or treble issues one is hearing. I tend to bump the EQ down a tiny bit in that region, and I think it sounds a bit better. YMMV
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best $300 Headphones Last post on 9/20/14 at 10:02am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Quandry: Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs or ZTH VI - Another Modded T50RP Last post on 1/16/14 at 8:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Amp and DAC recommendations for ATH-AD2000X / ATH-AD900 Last post on 11/2/13 at 5:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 196
Gear mentioned in this thread:
This perfectly sums up my feelings. Although I think soundstage is most dependent on the recording, the MD's are of course a bit narrow compared to an open can.
May be grabbing the Mad Dogs with Stax Pads, would love a lighter LCD-2.. Not sure if I should sacrifice the smoothness of the mids though.. Elwappo99, would you get the Stax Pads if I'm not worried about money?
Love these pads They're big and fluffy and softer than the MD pads. It's like a big memory foam pillow squeezing down. Not a lot of extra clamping force (I have a big head).
Bass is really great, much more controlled, and a little bit more transparent
Mids are about the same, but they lack the smoothness of the MD pads.
Highs are much more present to the point of being on the verge of sibilant. Keep in mind the Stax pads have a much looser filter, so I'm not sure how this would affect the sound, but I feel like it would. Treble is much more present, but lacks the smoothness of the MD pads.
Soundstage is wider, but less focused
(Had this same result when I "lifted" the pads on the Denon D7000, would love to know if a denser filter would help :/ )
Brainwavz HM5/Fischer FA-003
Clearer bass, but not as clear as the Stax
Midrange and treble are much more pronounced but still lack the smoothness of the MD pads
Soundstage is wider, not as much as the stax, but still more than the MD pads. Still has a bit of focus loss
Bass less controlled and more in quantity,
midrange and treble recessed, but much smoother
intimate (i.e. closer in) sound, clear focus in the middle, more defined separation
In a somewhat strange note, I really like these pads for their heat distribution. They get warm, but also seem to dissipate it fast enough to not get too warm.
Thanks for the impressions! I'm only wondering if the stax pads are really worth the extra $$ over the HM5 pads which are a fraction of the cost. (On that note, anyone know the cheapest way to get ahold of the stax?) Though, they do look very luxurious.
IMO on this application, SQ wise they became possibly sibilant to some listeners, and overall a detriment to the SQ on these headphones. Comfort they definitely win.
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood (NEW ZMF FLAGSHIP!!!) Thread. 3 seconds ago
- › Cardas Clear .5m Clear USB A -> USB B Cable 25 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › WTS Alo Audio International Dac/Amp Paypal&Shipped included 2 minutes ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)