A lot of measurements show the T50RP, modded or not, with a peak around 10KHz. This is even true of the Paradox. It's not a big peak, generally, but that could explain any sibilance or treble issues one is hearing. I tend to bump the EQ down a tiny bit in that region, and I think it sounds a bit better. YMMV
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 1/13/14 at 8:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 196post #2926 of 63881/28/13 at 4:54pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2927 of 63881/28/13 at 4:55pmpost #2928 of 63881/28/13 at 5:00pmQuote:
This perfectly sums up my feelings. Although I think soundstage is most dependent on the recording, the MD's are of course a bit narrow compared to an open can.post #2929 of 63881/28/13 at 5:37pm
May be grabbing the Mad Dogs with Stax Pads, would love a lighter LCD-2.. Not sure if I should sacrifice the smoothness of the mids though.. Elwappo99, would you get the Stax Pads if I'm not worried about money?post #2930 of 63881/28/13 at 6:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by elwappo99
Love these pads They're big and fluffy and softer than the MD pads. It's like a big memory foam pillow squeezing down. Not a lot of extra clamping force (I have a big head).
Bass is really great, much more controlled, and a little bit more transparent
Mids are about the same, but they lack the smoothness of the MD pads.
Highs are much more present to the point of being on the verge of sibilant. Keep in mind the Stax pads have a much looser filter, so I'm not sure how this would affect the sound, but I feel like it would. Treble is much more present, but lacks the smoothness of the MD pads.
Soundstage is wider, but less focused
(Had this same result when I "lifted" the pads on the Denon D7000, would love to know if a denser filter would help :/ )
Brainwavz HM5/Fischer FA-003
Clearer bass, but not as clear as the Stax
Midrange and treble are much more pronounced but still lack the smoothness of the MD pads
Soundstage is wider, not as much as the stax, but still more than the MD pads. Still has a bit of focus loss
Bass less controlled and more in quantity,
midrange and treble recessed, but much smoother
intimate (i.e. closer in) sound, clear focus in the middle, more defined separation
In a somewhat strange note, I really like these pads for their heat distribution. They get warm, but also seem to dissipate it fast enough to not get too warm.
Thanks for the impressions! I'm only wondering if the stax pads are really worth the extra $$ over the HM5 pads which are a fraction of the cost. (On that note, anyone know the cheapest way to get ahold of the stax?) Though, they do look very luxurious.post #2931 of 63881/28/13 at 6:52pmQuote:
IMO on this application, SQ wise they became possibly sibilant to some listeners, and overall a detriment to the SQ on these headphones. Comfort they definitely win.post #2932 of 63881/28/13 at 7:17pmpost #2933 of 63881/28/13 at 7:21pmpost #2934 of 63881/28/13 at 7:21pmpost #2935 of 63881/28/13 at 7:37pmpost #2936 of 63881/28/13 at 7:42pmpost #2937 of 63881/28/13 at 7:42pmpost #2938 of 63881/28/13 at 7:48pmpost #2939 of 63881/28/13 at 7:48pm
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Ps audio direct stream dsd DAC 51 seconds ago
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 1 minute ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster new series Z, Zx & ZxR 1 minute ago
- › AUDEZE LCD XC 2 minutes ago
- › best on-ear under $100 2 minutes ago
- › The Audio Technica W3000ANV Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › akg k612 amp+dac?? k612vs dt990pro?? 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › [WTB] Audeze LCD-X 4 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude