A lot of measurements show the T50RP, modded or not, with a peak around 10KHz. This is even true of the Paradox. It's not a big peak, generally, but that could explain any sibilance or treble issues one is hearing. I tend to bump the EQ down a tiny bit in that region, and I think it sounds a bit better. YMMV
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 3/12/13 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 196post #2926 of 64131/28/13 at 4:54pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2927 of 64131/28/13 at 4:55pmpost #2928 of 64131/28/13 at 5:00pmQuote:
This perfectly sums up my feelings. Although I think soundstage is most dependent on the recording, the MD's are of course a bit narrow compared to an open can.post #2929 of 64131/28/13 at 5:37pm
May be grabbing the Mad Dogs with Stax Pads, would love a lighter LCD-2.. Not sure if I should sacrifice the smoothness of the mids though.. Elwappo99, would you get the Stax Pads if I'm not worried about money?post #2930 of 64131/28/13 at 6:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by elwappo99
Love these pads They're big and fluffy and softer than the MD pads. It's like a big memory foam pillow squeezing down. Not a lot of extra clamping force (I have a big head).
Bass is really great, much more controlled, and a little bit more transparent
Mids are about the same, but they lack the smoothness of the MD pads.
Highs are much more present to the point of being on the verge of sibilant. Keep in mind the Stax pads have a much looser filter, so I'm not sure how this would affect the sound, but I feel like it would. Treble is much more present, but lacks the smoothness of the MD pads.
Soundstage is wider, but less focused
(Had this same result when I "lifted" the pads on the Denon D7000, would love to know if a denser filter would help :/ )
Brainwavz HM5/Fischer FA-003
Clearer bass, but not as clear as the Stax
Midrange and treble are much more pronounced but still lack the smoothness of the MD pads
Soundstage is wider, not as much as the stax, but still more than the MD pads. Still has a bit of focus loss
Bass less controlled and more in quantity,
midrange and treble recessed, but much smoother
intimate (i.e. closer in) sound, clear focus in the middle, more defined separation
In a somewhat strange note, I really like these pads for their heat distribution. They get warm, but also seem to dissipate it fast enough to not get too warm.
Thanks for the impressions! I'm only wondering if the stax pads are really worth the extra $$ over the HM5 pads which are a fraction of the cost. (On that note, anyone know the cheapest way to get ahold of the stax?) Though, they do look very luxurious.post #2931 of 64131/28/13 at 6:52pmQuote:
IMO on this application, SQ wise they became possibly sibilant to some listeners, and overall a detriment to the SQ on these headphones. Comfort they definitely win.post #2932 of 64131/28/13 at 7:17pmpost #2933 of 64131/28/13 at 7:21pmpost #2934 of 64131/28/13 at 7:21pmpost #2935 of 64131/28/13 at 7:37pmpost #2936 of 64131/28/13 at 7:42pmpost #2937 of 64131/28/13 at 7:42pmpost #2938 of 64131/28/13 at 7:48pmpost #2939 of 64131/28/13 at 7:48pm
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Download Hobbit 2 The Desolation of Smaug Online 41 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi 2013 Christmas Gift Exchange Whadjaget? Thread 54 seconds ago
- › Next headphone for me to get? 1 minute ago
- › x can v8 appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › Phones imparting the least individual signature, read neutral... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Modi USB DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Fischer Amps FA-4 E XB: New 4-BA IEM From Germany 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › Night Time Shots Of Our Tubes Glowing -- Post Them Here!! 4 minutes ago
- › Senn CX 300 II or Soundmagic E10 or some other in this budget ? 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi