A lot of measurements show the T50RP, modded or not, with a peak around 10KHz. This is even true of the Paradox. It's not a big peak, generally, but that could explain any sibilance or treble issues one is hearing. I tend to bump the EQ down a tiny bit in that region, and I think it sounds a bit better. YMMV
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I need some help recognizing some headphones from a video! Last post on 2/12/15 at 6:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best $300 Headphones Last post on 9/20/14 at 10:02am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 196
Gear mentioned in this thread:
This perfectly sums up my feelings. Although I think soundstage is most dependent on the recording, the MD's are of course a bit narrow compared to an open can.
May be grabbing the Mad Dogs with Stax Pads, would love a lighter LCD-2.. Not sure if I should sacrifice the smoothness of the mids though.. Elwappo99, would you get the Stax Pads if I'm not worried about money?
Love these pads They're big and fluffy and softer than the MD pads. It's like a big memory foam pillow squeezing down. Not a lot of extra clamping force (I have a big head).
Bass is really great, much more controlled, and a little bit more transparent
Mids are about the same, but they lack the smoothness of the MD pads.
Highs are much more present to the point of being on the verge of sibilant. Keep in mind the Stax pads have a much looser filter, so I'm not sure how this would affect the sound, but I feel like it would. Treble is much more present, but lacks the smoothness of the MD pads.
Soundstage is wider, but less focused
(Had this same result when I "lifted" the pads on the Denon D7000, would love to know if a denser filter would help :/ )
Brainwavz HM5/Fischer FA-003
Clearer bass, but not as clear as the Stax
Midrange and treble are much more pronounced but still lack the smoothness of the MD pads
Soundstage is wider, not as much as the stax, but still more than the MD pads. Still has a bit of focus loss
Bass less controlled and more in quantity,
midrange and treble recessed, but much smoother
intimate (i.e. closer in) sound, clear focus in the middle, more defined separation
In a somewhat strange note, I really like these pads for their heat distribution. They get warm, but also seem to dissipate it fast enough to not get too warm.
Thanks for the impressions! I'm only wondering if the stax pads are really worth the extra $$ over the HM5 pads which are a fraction of the cost. (On that note, anyone know the cheapest way to get ahold of the stax?) Though, they do look very luxurious.
IMO on this application, SQ wise they became possibly sibilant to some listeners, and overall a detriment to the SQ on these headphones. Comfort they definitely win.
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Music Game IX 1 second ago
- › Introducing the T10i, an all new IEM from RHA 17 seconds ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 1 minute ago
- › New to the Forum/HiFi Headphones... Studio headphones for... 1 minute ago
- › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! 2 minutes ago
- › Help me understand something (modi/magni) + HE-400 and studio... 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Audeze LCD XC 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3