Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 171  

post #2551 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney9438 View Post

Guys, I feel static tickling my ear every time the bass kicks in. Is this normal?

 

Never heard anyone else mention this before. Could be a hair on the driver or possibly wax in your ears (no offense). 

post #2552 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Never heard anyone else mention this before. Could be a hair on the driver or possibly wax in your ears (no offense). 

Never heard of this either and Matt and I have been here since the beginning. Contact Dan I'm sure he will work with you to fix it
post #2553 of 6388
It could be the amp clipping on heavy bass at high volume. If it actually sounds like a mechanical buzz it may be something I needntonlook at. Send me a PM with more info if its still an issue...
post #2554 of 6388

If you have bass boost on or are listening to bass heavy music and aren't running them from a fairly powerful source the bass may distort.  This is not the driver of the headphone but your source.  This even happens to me if I test out the Mad Dogs at high volume on my JDS 421.  These phones need a decent amount of juice for the full bass to kick in without distortion at high volumes.

post #2555 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney9438 View Post

my brother's E9 + E17. I have an E10 and a CmoyBB 2.03 with an AD8066, but haven't tested it on my setup though.

 

All I have to say is that the bass quantity is perfect. It's not exaggerated, and it's not weak. The quality of the bass is superb. Sorry, I'm not too analytical on music. I'm playing some EDM 320kbps

 

EDIT: I'll keep you guys posted. I'll tell you guys how it sounds on my setup after I hook it up, though as I said I'm not too analytical on music. Apologies again.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

The e09k did pretty well for me. I'm now on the lyr and I have to say that the MD scales well with better amps. 

 

Glad that you seem to be enjoying it so much. It's really a superb headphone. Very well balanced with a touch of warmth with the dog pads. 

 

E09k/E17 did well for me but I couldn't resist picking up the Schiit Magni/Modi (which was $50 less than my E17/E09k at the time). Listening to them now and it sounds good. i'll post comparison between the two once i get more listen time but I can safely say, if choosing one or the other buy the M/M if you want desktop only (and a sexy package to boot) but if you need portable, you can't go wrong with the E17/E09K since it doubles as portable and desktop and drives the MD well. I plan on keeping my E17 for portable use.


Edited by nam3less - 1/5/13 at 9:28am
post #2556 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam3less View Post

 

 

E09k/E17 did well for me but I couldn't resist picking up the Schiit Magni/Modi (which was $50 less than my E17/E09k at the time). Listening to them now and it sounds good. i'll post comparison between the two once i get more listen time but I can safely say, if choosing one or the other buy the M/M if you want desktop only (and a sexy package to boot) but if you need portable, you can't go wrong with the E17/E09K since it doubles as portable and desktop and drives the MD well. I plan on keeping my E17 for portable use.

^^ This is true. I have also heard that the magni/modi is very good for the price. Might make them a bedroom or something in the near future. 

post #2557 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post


Never heard of this either and Matt and I have been here since the beginning. Contact Dan I'm sure he will work with you to fix it

 

So.... DO you think the poster should contact Dan for a fix?!?

LOL!!! :-p

post #2558 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

So.... DO you think the poster should contact Dan for a fix?!?

LOL!!! :-p

@gelocks - assuming that was a wink and a nod since Dan has already reached out.  I've spent many years of my career in different facets of the restaurant business, and in engineering.  In both cases, I've learned that addressing any potential problem quickly and helping to come to resolution will impress 95% of your customers, and solidify your relationship, sometimes more fully than if everything had gone perfectly.  The other 5% - generally angry or selfish crackpots who want something for nothing, rather than a fair, equitable and workable resolution to the problem at hand.  I think Dan has learned the same lessons - I have never experienced better care and concern for a relatively small retail purchase - very refreshing, very commendable.  (note - there are other good guys out there for sure - Centrance, Headroom and Headamp come to mind immediately for me).

post #2559 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

@gelocks - assuming that was a wink and a nod since Dan has already reached out.  I've spent many years of my career in different facets of the restaurant business, and in engineering.  In both cases, I've learned that addressing any potential problem quickly and helping to come to resolution will impress 95% of your customers, and solidify your relationship, sometimes more fully than if everything had gone perfectly.  The other 5% - generally angry or selfish crackpots who want something for nothing, rather than a fair, equitable and workable resolution to the problem at hand.  I think Dan has learned the same lessons - I have never experienced better care and concern for a relatively small retail purchase - very refreshing, very commendable.  (note - there are other good guys out there for sure - Centrance, Headroom and Headamp come to mind immediately for me).


I just read a great Harvard Business Review blog post on a similar topic that basically says just that. It's a good read. It's a testament to the fact that a dedicated small team of independent enthusiasts can do so much better than a stagnating giant like Sony can, and with much better communication to boot.

post #2560 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

@gelocks - assuming that was a wink and a nod since Dan has already reached out.  I've spent many years of my career in different facets of the restaurant business, and in engineering.  In both cases, I've learned that addressing any potential problem quickly and helping to come to resolution will impress 95% of your customers, and solidify your relationship, sometimes more fully than if everything had gone perfectly.  The other 5% - generally angry or selfish crackpots who want something for nothing, rather than a fair, equitable and workable resolution to the problem at hand.  I think Dan has learned the same lessons - I have never experienced better care and concern for a relatively small retail purchase - very refreshing, very commendable.  (note - there are other good guys out there for sure - Centrance, Headroom and Headamp come to mind immediately for me).

 

As another business owner, these are pearls of wisdom here. wink.gif

post #2561 of 6388

I've already mentioned a good bit of what I have to say in this, but here's that Paradox/Mad Dog comparison I wanted to write...tried to keep it short and simple!

 

LINK

post #2562 of 6388

Well, my much anticipated modi/magni didn't arrive today. FedEx delayed the arrival date from today until Tuesday. My available time will be limited during the week. mad.gif So, I'm stuck with my Sound Blaster card direct output. I'm using Rhythmbox in Linux right now, works fine.

 

BTW, I also want to complement MrSpeakers Dan on the nice touch of including a business card inside the shipment box. Another "hand-crafted" touch is the ballpoint pen check marks on the outside label indicating what was inside. The business card is well designed - without saying anything you quickly get the idea that is a small company and that Dan is in charge. The QR code is more than enough to say "we're not in the stone ages around here."

post #2563 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

@gelocks - assuming that was a wink and a nod since Dan has already reached out.  I've spent many years of my career in different facets of the restaurant business, and in engineering.  In both cases, I've learned that addressing any potential problem quickly and helping to come to resolution will impress 95% of your customers, and solidify your relationship, sometimes more fully than if everything had gone perfectly.  The other 5% - generally angry or selfish crackpots who want something for nothing, rather than a fair, equitable and workable resolution to the problem at hand.  I think Dan has learned the same lessons - I have never experienced better care and concern for a relatively small retail purchase - very refreshing, very commendable.  (note - there are other good guys out there for sure - Centrance, Headroom and Headamp come to mind immediately for me).

Gelocks said that cause I had an accidental 6x post lol
post #2564 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

Gelocks said that cause I had an accidental 6x post lol
Oh yeah, there was that...
post #2565 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

I'm using Rhythmbox in Linux right now, works fine.

Once you get the M/M combo, you should install Gmusicbrowser and set it up to make your computer bitperfect.

 

Instructions from Head-Fi'ers here.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review