Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 158  

post #2356 of 6388
Wow you got yours on Xmas eve? Nice!!
post #2357 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Wow you got yours on Xmas eve? Nice!!
Yep, 3 days after USPS originally estimated they would be here... rolleyes.gif
I'm really liking them though. Much more detail than my HD600s. Tbh I wasn't sure how much of an upgrade these would be from the HD600. I didn't know if I'd love them or hate them. Turns out I love them. While I was having buyer's remorse right after buying them and thinking of returning them, that thought is completely gone from my head. Now the question is whether or not to get rid of the 600s smily_headphones1.gif
post #2358 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

Yep, 3 days after USPS originally estimated they would be here... rolleyes.gif
I'm really liking them though. Much more detail than my HD600s. Tbh I wasn't sure how much of an upgrade these would be from the HD600. I didn't know if I'd love them or hate them. Turns out I love them. While I was having buyer's remorse right after buying them and thinking of returning them, that thought is completely gone from my head. Now the question is whether or not to get rid of the 600s smily_headphones1.gif

 

I get ya... I decided to leave the HD600s for "At home" duties! ;-) Both are great.

post #2359 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

I get ya... I decided to leave the HD600s for "At home" duties! ;-) Both are great.

I'm even considering selling my HD600s, but I'm not sure what I would replace them with... That, and the parentals are getting mad at me for buying too many headphones :D

post #2360 of 6388

So the C421 is a decent portable amp for MadDogs, but what other portable options are there? Would the Hippo CriCri drive MDs sufficiently? 

 

I'm a loud listener, so the Pico Slim would be a decent option for me with other headphones, but someone here said that it wasn't loud enough for MDs, so I doubt it'd be a loud enough combo for me. Oh and bass boost is a must for me (I'm a basshead that craves a neutral response otherwise)

post #2361 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

So the C421 is a decent portable amp for MadDogs, but what other portable options are there? Would the Hippo CriCri drive MDs sufficiently? 

I'm a loud listener, so the Pico Slim would be a decent option for me with other headphones, but someone here said that it wasn't loud enough for MDs, so I doubt it'd be a loud enough combo for me. Oh and bass boost is a must for me (I'm a basshead that craves a neutral response otherwise)
Just an FYI: I didn't find these didn't take too well to a bass boost. Even with bass boost enabled on my iPod, they still lacked "thump" like I'd want to hear out of a basshead headphone.
post #2362 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

So the C421 is a decent portable amp for MadDogs, but what other portable options are there? Would the Hippo CriCri drive MDs sufficiently? 

 

I'm a loud listener, so the Pico Slim would be a decent option for me with other headphones, but someone here said that it wasn't loud enough for MDs, so I doubt it'd be a loud enough combo for me. Oh and bass boost is a must for me (I'm a basshead that craves a neutral response otherwise)

I have a Hippo Cricri+ and it's sufficient enough for the MD.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post


Just an FYI: I didn't find these didn't take too well to a bass boost. Even with bass boost enabled on my iPod, they still lacked "thump" like I'd want to hear out of a basshead headphone.

Well, I doubt that you or anyone even wanted to read every post in this long thread. But it's been discussed before that the MD is not a basshead headphone.

 

It was also not suggested to drive the MD straight out of your iPhone. Pair it with an amp, or if you have, try EQ-ing too.

post #2363 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorboman View Post

Well, I doubt that you or anyone even wanted to read every post in this long thread. But it's been discussed before that the MD is not a basshead headphone.

 

 

Thank you.

post #2364 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorboman View Post

I have a Hippo Cricri+ and it's sufficient enough for the MD.

Well, I doubt that you or anyone even wanted to read every post in this long thread. But it's been discussed before that the MD is not a basshead headphone.

It was also not suggested to drive the MD straight out of your iPhone. Pair it with an amp, or if you have, try EQ-ing too.
I understand the MD is not a bass head 'phone without EQ. However, how a headphone's frequency response changes according to an EQ that you apply to it is a different question IMO, which I was trying to answer for the person who asked that question.
Edited by mechgamer123 - 12/25/12 at 1:39pm
post #2365 of 6388

I'm well aware that MDs are not basshead cans. I've also come to accept that I'm a basshead that prefers fidelity along the whole spectrum which is where MDs fall. I'm pretty dead set on MDs, but I know I'm gonna want that extra bass pressure. 

 

But what's meant by they don't take well to bass boost? The bass bloats and sounds flabby? 

post #2366 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

I understand the MD is not a bass head 'phone without EQ. However, how a headphone's frequency response changes according to an EQ that you apply to it is a different question IMO, which I was trying to answer for the person who asked that question.
Also, I was looking at my MDs and noticed that there is a collection of what appears to be tool marks on the left can. Does anyone else have tool marks on theirs as well?

Post a few pics and lets have a look. Mine have no marks.
post #2367 of 6388

In other news, it turns out that my suspicions were correct. The mysterious box that showed up at my door a few days ago has turned out this Christmas morning to be, in fact, a pair of MDs from who is now my favorite friend.

post #2368 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

So the C421 is a decent portable amp for MadDogs, but what other portable options are there? Would the Hippo CriCri drive MDs sufficiently? 

I'm a loud listener, so the Pico Slim would be a decent option for me with other headphones, but someone here said that it wasn't loud enough for MDs, so I doubt it'd be a loud enough combo for me. Oh and bass boost is a must for me (I'm a basshead that craves a neutral response otherwise)

The Pico doesnt have enough juice for the MD imo, its an IEM amp, so the <1ohm will hurt the MD's presentation.

The Mad Dog with Dog Pads is a great bass can btw.
post #2369 of 6388
Problem resolved.

Edited by mechgamer123 - 12/25/12 at 1:39pm
post #2370 of 6388
Oh gosh sorry about that. The strap screw must not have been tightened enough, the screw head must be protruding. Please pm me and we'll take care of it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review