Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 142  

post #2116 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I actually sold my Mad Dogs, they had a hard wire split to hirose connector. I'm going to pick up a new pair soon enough but til then I can't really comment. I have a good feeling about it tho, the high gain setting is very powerful.

 

Ah! I remember seeing those. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by moses667 View Post

I really want to underscore how much I think people underestimate how much power it takes to drive the MDs. I spent a couple weeks trying to drive them off my MacBook Pro, added in an inexpensive HeadRoom amp and kept thinking they just didn't live up to the hype. When demoing them for my parents, both audiophiles, they had significant issues with them. Finally I plugged them into my Denon speaker pre-amp's headphone amp and... AHHHH! THAT's what people are talking about. Happen to have an old Rotel pre-amp in the basement that's working as quite a nice dedicated amp for headphone listening now...

 

 

Those headroom amps really don't quite give the power to more modern headphone drivers. 

post #2117 of 6388

I do think that people understand how good the maddogs are but maybe don't have a good grasp of how well that they scale up with better amps. Very reminiscent of the hd650 scalability. I'm honestly just floored with the maddogs with the lyr and the right set of tubes....stupid good. 

post #2118 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

I was thinking about getting a leckerton, any comments on the pair?

There are some coments on both threads (this one and on UHA-6S mkii thread) about this pairing. Most owners of the combo seem happy enough

 

Personaly, I pulled the trigger for this combo, MD dog pads + UHA-6S mkii, and, well, I belive I didn't do anything wrong. 

Unfortunatly I'll only discover january 2, when I get them :D

post #2119 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I do think that people understand how good the maddogs are but maybe don't have a good grasp of how well that they scale up with better amps. Very reminiscent of the hd650 scalability. I'm honestly just floored with the maddogs with the lyr and the right set of tubes....stupid good. 

This was my setup...sooooooo good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelsas View Post

There are some coments on both threads (this one and on UHA-6S mkii thread) about this pairing. Most owners of the combo seem happy enough

 

Personaly, I pulled the trigger for this combo, MD dog pads + UHA-6S mkii, and, well, I belive I didn't do anything wrong. 

Unfortunatly I'll only discover january 2, when I get them :D

Yea I think that the MK-II will be able to drive them very well. I'm actually gonna follow you on head-fi and message you January 3rd lol

post #2120 of 6388

Hey guys,

 

Just wanted to update that after getting advice here on the thread, I went and got myself a Schiit Lyr for my home setup with the Mad Dogs.  Couldn't be happier, listening to them right now!  I am currently using a pair of 6n23p-EV's.  I can already see what tube rolling might do to my wallet next year...

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I actually think people under estimate how much it takes to drive them. I just got the Leckerton MK-II, by any chance does anyone use this amp with the MDs?

 

I posted a little non-audiophile review of the combo a while back, I think some others did too.  Search this thread for em!  (Short answer: I found them to work perfectly fine with 95% of the music I listen to.  Some older music and maybe classical might feel like it needs more juice depending on the listener)

post #2121 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by olorosooso View Post

I posted a little non-audiophile review of the combo a while back, I think some others did too.  Search this thread for em!  (Short answer: I found them to work perfectly fine with 95% of the music I listen to.  Some older music and maybe classical might feel like it needs more juice depending on the listener)

Nice thanks!

post #2122 of 6388

you see this is what i was afraid of... a steady escalation. first its one headphone, then three, then well, i have to get a decent portable headphone amp, no wait don’t I listen more at home? shouldn’t i get a home amplifier? after all one shouldn’t underestimate how much juice these MD's need to be driven right.

 

damn consumerist impulses and head fi (shakes fist at web browser).


Edited by simonpking - 12/10/12 at 7:04pm
post #2123 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpking View Post

you see this is what i was afraid of... a steady escalation. first its one headphone, then three, then well, i have to get a decent portable headphone amp, no wait don’t I listen more at home? shouldn’t i get a home amplifier? after all one shouldn’t underestimate how much juice these MD's need to be driven right.

 

damn consumerist impulses and head fi (shakes fist at web browser).

 

I haven't even got my M-100's yet and I'm already saving up for a Lyr and MDs, cuz I know I'll love it. 

post #2124 of 6388

I finally met with my friend and confirmed that the Oyaide straight plug can be used and fit perfectly into the housing of the Mad Dog / T50RP. Here's a crappy pic I took with my phone.

 

post #2125 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorboman View Post

I finally met with my friend and confirmed that the Oyaide straight plug can be used and fit perfectly into the housing of the Mad Dog / T50RP. Here's a crappy pic I took with my phone.

 

Interesting, my biggest worry w/ straight plugs is stress placed at connection or wire.

post #2126 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrewwye View Post

Interesting, my biggest worry w/ straight plugs is stress placed at connection or wire.

 

Yes, I believe you are quite correct on your response.  However, the female TRS receptacle that is built into the cup on the Fostex headphones, can be a bit weak.  It is not fully molded to the cup itself, but is just molded on two small area.  The rest is "open" and was designed to use the stock twist-in cable from Fostex, which would seal those gaps.  When using another cable and switching from the stock twist / locking cable, I have taken some small pieces of plastic and epoxy by which I adhered them to the inside plastic components to further secure the plastic mounting area for the jack.  Once that was done, the strength of the plug / receptacle in the cup itself was much, much more secure for the long haul with the Fostex headphones.

post #2127 of 6388

Ah, more a home use solution though - not as viable for portable users

post #2128 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebrah View Post

 

Maybe I'm hard of hearing, but unless I'm using Audio Hijack Pro, I usually have to crank my E9 to 12 or 1 o'clock for "HQ" Spotify tracks, and even higher for FLAC files in VLC. 

 

I agree that the MD takes some juice. I used to only listen to music at extreme volume. I'm talking the Logitech Z-2300 at 3 o clock or more in a small dorm room, while sitting in front of it. Then I figured I should probably save my ears.

 

I'm simply running USB to my e9k/e17 and I listen almost exclusively to flac. 12 o'clock is very loud for me and I can't stand more than a few minutes of it. This is a shame as it's the spot where the MD really opens up on the e9k.

 

For mp3 (various bitrates depending on when I got the music...I should fix this....), I do 9 o'clock or less, which i find sounds similar in volume to flac at 11 to me.

 

I will say this, if I listen to louder music (11-12), and try to do it for a prolonged period of time (say, 30 minutes), I can keep cranking the volume and it doesn't sound loud any more. So... I don't think you're hard of hearing. The MD's really open up around that point and I've just been trying to keep the volume to an enjoyable minimum whenever possible, especially at work where I listen to music for 7-8 hours in a day. Have to save those ears as I'm still relatively young (23) and have a long musical journey ahead of me.

post #2129 of 6388
Think an E17 by itself would be enough to power these to good levels? I would just get a DAC but I don't think my CK2III is working atm, havent been able to find a place to test the RCA inputs.
post #2130 of 6388

^^ It's decent. Just decent. I used an e17/ipod/lod and took the MD's with me over Thanksgiving and it was okay. There was an appreciable level when I got home and plugged back into my desktop amp though. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review