Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 141  

post #2101 of 6388
I haven't finished this thread yet but I have a quick question. I was set to get the SRH940 but the build issues and reported bass hole put me off. Then I was set on the K-550 but the bad fit for small heads like mine (I use my headphones on the smallest headband setting) put me off.

I used to have the stock T50RP but aside from the amazing mids I was put off by the bass and treble, and also a few comments from people that no amount of modding makes these more than a little better than stock. I felt they would still be too dark for me.

Can someone tell me comparatively how much better are these than stock? How is the bass compared to the M50 ( which has too much for me - new white box version) and the SRH440 which is just right with good punch- better when paired with a tube amp. I am basically trying to upgrade from the SRH440 to something closed but better in every single way for pop and light rock (Rod Stewart etc).

I am not able to listen to anything before I purchase and am deciding between the Mad Dogs and the DT880. Amps and sources in my sig.

Thanks

Johannes
Edited by Canuck99 - 12/10/12 at 3:18am
post #2102 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck99 View Post

Can someone tell me comparatively how much better are these than stock? How is the bass compared to the M50 ( which has too much for me - new white box version) and the SRH440 which is just right with good punch- better when paired with a tube amp. I am basically trying to upgrade from the SRH440 to something closed but better in every single way for pop and light rock (Rod Stewart etc).
Thanks
Johannes

I can tell you that they are different in sound signature and I didn't like the stock T50RP. I also can tell you that the MD performed well on pop dan light rock.

 

Unfortunately, I've never tried SRH440 so I can't comment on that and it's been too long since the last time I listened to an M50 so my comment will not be valid.

post #2103 of 6388
Thanks you. I will probably order a pair of these as my final upgrade for a while. I am fortunate that I now have 3 good vintage (1990s) receivers to try with them (just got a very nice Pioneer for $40). That will save me upgrading my amp possibly.

I should also admit my first go with the T50RP was when I just found head-fi and used them (with an adapter) with my iPod for 30 minutes before thinking - no, not for me. I didn't t know what I was doing.

Which version has more treble SRH840 or dog pads version - either more actual treble or just the impression of more trebble - it doesn't matter to me.

Johannes
Edited by Canuck99 - 12/10/12 at 3:35am
post #2104 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck99 View Post

Thanks you. I will probably order a pair of these as my final upgrade for a while. I am fortunate that I now have 3 good vintage (1990s) receivers to try with them (just got a very nice Pioneer for $40). That will save me upgrading my amp possibly.
I should also admit my first go with the T50RP was when I just found head-fi and used them (with an adapter) with my iPod for 30 minutes before thinking - no, not for me. I didn't t know what I was doing.
Which version has more treble SRH840 or dog pads version - either more actual treble or just the impression of more trebble - it doesn't matter to me.
Johannes

 

That will be the Shure pads one between the two. Because the Dog Pads version is the darker one IMHO.

post #2105 of 6388
Thanks

Johannes
post #2106 of 6388

^^ Yes, this is a very different hp from stock. You should spend a little time reading through this thread if you haven't already where you'll find lot's of commentary on the sound signature. Dog pads have more bass and are slightly darker than the 840 pads. But even the dogpad version is pretty balanced and not overly bassy. Not like a d2k that will color music with accentuated bass when the recording doesn't call for it.

 

Great hp....enjoying mine right now!!

post #2107 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam3less View Post

 

I have the e17/e9k combo and MD w/ DP. Slightly less power on my e9k than your e9 for what it's worth.

 

I find it drives the MD adequately. I listen on low gain usually at around 9-10 o'clock depending on the recording, pushing to 11, maybe 12 for the toe tapping songs. At 11 and 12 the bass really opens up and is present. But it's just too loud for my taste for listening to more than one song at a time. At 9 or 10 the bass is there but just doesn't have the slam of 11-12. 

 

Maybe I'm hard of hearing, but unless I'm using Audio Hijack Pro, I usually have to crank my E9 to 12 or 1 o'clock for "HQ" Spotify tracks, and even higher for FLAC files in VLC. 

post #2108 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebrah View Post

 

Maybe I'm hard of hearing, but unless I'm using Audio Hijack Pro, I usually have to crank my E9 to 12 or 1 o'clock for "HQ" Spotify tracks, and even higher for FLAC files in VLC. 

I find the Mad Dogs hard to drive IMO so I don't think you're hard of hearing.

post #2109 of 6388

^^ Yes, the MD certainly likes some juice behind it. It's an ortho plus I believe the dampening materials make a little harder to drive additionally. 


Edited by MattTCG - 12/10/12 at 12:27pm
post #2110 of 6388

I've got a pair of mad dogs and they sound really great off a Burson Soloist. 

post #2111 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ Yes, the MD certainly likes some juice behind it. It's an ortho plus I believe the dampening materials make a little harder to drive additionally. 

I actually think people under estimate how much it takes to drive them. I just got the Leckerton MK-II, by any chance does anyone use this amp with the MDs?

post #2112 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I actually think people under estimate how much it takes to drive them. I just got the Leckerton MK-II, by any chance does anyone use this amp with the MDs?

I was thinking about getting a leckerton, any comments on the pair?

post #2113 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

I was thinking about getting a leckerton, any comments on the pair?

I actually sold my Mad Dogs, they had a hard wire split to hirose connector. I'm going to pick up a new pair soon enough but til then I can't really comment. I have a good feeling about it tho, the high gain setting is very powerful.

post #2114 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I actually sold my Mad Dogs, they had a hard wire split to hirose connector. I'm going to pick up a new pair soon enough but til then I can't really comment. I have a good feeling about it tho, the high gain setting is very powerful.

I should add very powerful but dead silent.

post #2115 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

^^ Yes, the MD certainly likes some juice behind it. It's an ortho plus I believe the dampening materials make a little harder to drive additionally. 

I actually think people under estimate how much it takes to drive them. I just got the Leckerton MK-II, by any chance does anyone use this amp with the MDs?

I really want to underscore how much I think people underestimate how much power it takes to drive the MDs. I spent a couple weeks trying to drive them off my MacBook Pro, added in an inexpensive HeadRoom amp and kept thinking they just didn't live up to the hype. When demoing them for my parents, both audiophiles, they had significant issues with them. Finally I plugged them into my Denon speaker pre-amp's headphone amp and... AHHHH! THAT's what people are talking about. Happen to have an old Rotel pre-amp in the basement that's working as quite a nice dedicated amp for headphone listening now...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review