Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 135  

post #2011 of 6388

I enjoy the Lyr very much.  I've been reading the tube rolling thread... Has anyone tried rolling with the MDs?

post #2012 of 6388

^^

 

Yes, these green hornets that I picked up from ebay have been great with the MD's. I'll post a link to them in case anyone wants to give them a try. 

 

They are nice and smooth in presentation. And the bass response is a bit better than any of the other tubes that I used. 

 

Here it is. Highly recommended!! Thanks to IEMCrazy for the head's up on these. 

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYLVANIA-JAN-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1972-MATCHED-PAIR-GREEN-HORNETS-MIL-SPEC-/321017700594?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4abe2560f2


Edited by MattTCG - 12/4/12 at 11:26am
post #2013 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

I enjoy the Lyr very much.  I've been reading the tube rolling thread... Has anyone tried rolling with the MDs?

My favorite were the Sylvania's I had, they were really fun and warm I loved them so much

 

Also Dan, MikeK200 might still have some really good tubes for sale as I know he switched from the Lyr to Mjolnir


Edited by kskwerl - 12/4/12 at 11:56am
post #2014 of 6388

Since we're on the subject, Is there any hum or I guess static or feedback (don't know how to describe this) that is audible when listening to the MD through the Lyr? One of the things I love about my FiiO e09k is that it is dead silent even with volume maxxed under high gain. I don't really like hearing any hum because I can hear it during music listening and it gets distracting.


Edited by nam3less - 12/4/12 at 1:48pm
post #2015 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam3less View Post

Since we're on the subject, Is there any hum or I guess static or feedback (don't know how to describe this) that is audible when listening to the MD through the Lyr? One of the things I love about my FiiO e09k is that it is dead silent even with volume maxxed under high gain. I don't really like hearing any hum because I can hear it during music listening and it gets distracting.

Yea its the tubes, NOS tubes are likely to do that and sometimes need to be reseated. Also if you let them warm up it doesn't happen after the warm up, not doesn't happen but happens less or is less noticable.

post #2016 of 6388

Thanks for the info. Was curious. I'll do more research. This kind of purchase is way off if ever, but it's nice to get the information. So, i'll look for tubes that don't make the static/hiss/hum/feedback or just stick with tubeless amps. I just like my quiet.

 

Sounds like i'll make my way over to the tube rolling thread. smile.gif

post #2017 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam3less View Post

Thanks for the info. Was curious. I'll do more research. This kind of purchase is way off if ever, but it's nice to get the information. So, i'll look for tubes that don't make the static/hiss/hum/feedback or just stick with tubeless amps. I just like my quiet.

 

Sounds like i'll make my way over to the tube rolling thread. smile.gif

I mean if you get good tubes they don't all make that noise, for example my cryotreated tubes made less noise compared to cheaper ones I bought off of ebay. It can get expensive as hell so be careful but the Lyr is a fantastic amp and I would def buy it again.

post #2018 of 6388

My favorite with Lyr and Mad Dogs were Mullard CV2493 as well as Siemen's A-frames.

post #2019 of 6388

Even though the Dog Pads version is a bit darker than the shure pads verstion, it is still neutral, right ?

I mean, it's not going to be much darker the K550, are they? (I understand they are going to be darker than the DT880)

 

I'm still deciding between the two versions, it's going to be my first planar magnetic headphone, so I don't know exactly what to expect. I never heard any planar before.


Edited by jhelsas - 12/4/12 at 6:32pm
post #2020 of 6388

How is the bass extension with Mad Dogs? Are they as bottomless as DT1350s? Also how flexible is the headband of T50RP?

post #2021 of 6388

Thanks for the tube thoughts, guys.  Sorry to be a bit OT, but it seemed easier than trying to sort through the whole Lyr tube thread without any feedback on the Mad Dog...

 

For the sound questions someone else has to say.  MOT and all that.  :-)

post #2022 of 6388
In my opinion, the bass extension equals or exceeds the DT1350's with the caveat that I always felt there was a slight boost somewhere in the bass range on the DT1350's so in some cases it might seem like more. I'm going from memory, as the DT1350's left to fund the mad dogs. Hopefully a couple others will comment, so you get a range of impressions. For my listening, the MD's suit me better. For on the go convenience and great sound, the DT1350's are tough to beat though.
post #2023 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

In my opinion, the bass extension equals or exceeds the DT1350's with the caveat that I always felt there was a slight boost somewhere in the bass range on the DT1350's so in some cases it might seem like more. I'm going from memory, as the DT1350's left to fund the mad dogs. Hopefully a couple others will comment, so you get a range of impressions. For my listening, the MD's suit me better. For on the go convenience and great sound, the DT1350's are tough to beat though.

Hmm I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Exactly how portable are the MDs? They don't need to be terribly portable, as I have a portable set on their way, but in comparison to most other fullsized portable cans...? Any comment on the flexibility/sturdyness of the headband?

 

I mostly can't decide if I want supra or circumaural cans. These two seems to be contenders, other than the on/over ear difference, and that's where I'm having problems deciding.

 

I'm pretty sure, as it looks, I'm gonna end up with both, and sell the one I don't like of the two, but I'm gonna put my bets on either keeping both, or just MD considering comfort is a big thing for me.

 

That said, how do MD do with glasses?

post #2024 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelsas View Post

Even though the Dog Pads version is a bit darker than the shure pads verstion, it is still neutral, right ?

I mean, it's not going to be much darker the K550, are they? (I understand they are going to be darker than the DT880)

 

I'm still deciding between the two versions, it's going to be my first planar magnetic headphone, so I don't know exactly what to expect. I never heard any planar before.

IMHO, compared to K550, yes it's darker for the Dog Pads, but I can't recall from memory if the Shure pads was also darker. I can't comment on DT880 as I've only listened to it on a Crack, which wasn't good for the Mad Dog. So as for neutrality, I think that your whole setup will determine that (i.e. gears colorations).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apo0th3karY View Post

How is the bass extension with Mad Dogs? Are they as bottomless as DT1350s? Also how flexible is the headband of T50RP?

Can't comment on DT1350 comparison since it didn't suit my preference. On headband, it's quite flexible. Grip to me is a bit loose but I guess that depends on the size of the head.

post #2025 of 6388
Will be able to comment on their comfort with glasses shortly. I'm told my MDs have just arrived and are at home waiting for me.

Ah, nice an unboxing and reveal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review