Dan has done a very nice job with the dogs pads. They are very comfortable and the result of the bass is impressive.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Clarity: ATH-AD900 vs. LCD-2 Last post on 9/28/11 at 8:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-AD900 + FIIO E7+E9 COMBO opinions? Last post on 6/12/12 at 7:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Pioneer Dir800c handle the Audio Technica ATH-AD900? Last post on 8/18/11 at 8:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [The Best Headphone] ATH-AD900 VS DT880 32 Ohms Last post on 3/12/13 at 6:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mod to virtually angle the drivers of the ATH-AD900 Last post on 8/22/12 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 130post #1936 of 641311/27/12 at 2:42pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1937 of 641311/27/12 at 3:32pmpost #1938 of 641311/27/12 at 3:42pmpost #1939 of 641311/27/12 at 4:26pmpost #1940 of 641311/27/12 at 6:07pmpost #1941 of 641311/27/12 at 6:09pmpost #1942 of 641311/27/12 at 6:30pmpost #1943 of 641311/27/12 at 6:37pmQuote:
How do you think the mad dog stands with the lcd2?post #1944 of 641311/27/12 at 6:46pmpost #1945 of 641311/27/12 at 7:20pm
^^this is pretty much it. The dazzle for the dollar is just off the charts with the MD's. (hey, that phrase is mine...just coined it). The real kicker is the comfort though. I don't think that the MD gets enough credit in this department once you've added the comfort strap. It just floats on your head. There are no pressure points. I can wear them for hours and still be enjoying the music. And while the lcd2 has an impressive sound signature, it's doesn't have the comfort factor I'm looking for.post #1946 of 641311/27/12 at 7:56pmpost #1947 of 641311/27/12 at 8:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by MattTCG
... I don't think that the MD gets enough credit in this department once you've added the comfort strap. It just floats on your head. There are no pressure points. I can wear them for hours and still be enjoying the music. And while the lcd2 has an impressive sound signature, it's doesn't have the comfort factor I'm looking for.
To be honest, I wouldn't be interested in the Mad Dog if not for the comfort. Yes, to me the sound impression came afterwards.post #1948 of 641311/27/12 at 8:42pmI've been running my MD's off of my modded tube amp for the past few days now and holy cow do these things sound excellent! And the only way I can connect the iPad to the amp is via the iPad's headphone output. Even though, the background is dead silent, bass is even deeper and more controlled, the midrange and vocals are scarie real sounding, the treble is silky smooth and extended, sound stage is huge (considering the closed design), and these cans are just an absolute blast to listen to for hours on end.
The only issue I'm running into is that the amp starts to lightly clip before things get really loud. Granted, this is only with very strong, bass heavy music. This is probably a good thing as it keeps me from really cranking the tunes and saving my ears. But the sound of this amp with the Mad Dogs is simply amazing. I used this amp when I was still running the HD600/650's, SR325is and K701's, and none of them sounded as good as these cans.
Put on some Rebecca Pidgeon, Diana Krall, Ana Caram, and it's like they "krall" right up into your head and start singing. Even male vocals like Harry Connick Jr, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn all do the same. Quite stunning performance!post #1949 of 641311/27/12 at 8:51pm
So Mad dogs are comfortable, but somewhat weak by portable standards? How well does it drive with portable amps (namely PA2v2 and digizoid zo2)? Sorry if this has been addressed I just can't scroll through the 100+ posts tonight.
edit* found the post on portable amps.
Edited by kwonberry - 11/27/12 at 8:57pmpost #1950 of 641311/27/12 at 9:01pmQuote:
The Mad Dig is not a portable headphone since the T50RP was designed for studio use. Portable amps can drive the MD. Even my rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip can. Yet amping is highly suggested.
This thread is locked
- "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 7 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club 14 seconds ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 14 seconds ago
- › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = (Modulor orders updated... 42 seconds ago
- › Shouldn't An Analytical Sound Be Superior? 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! Yamaha HPH-200 (PG 1110) !!.KEF... 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a new portable that works well in a car 1 minute ago
- › My Very Low Budget Nearfield Desktop Rig (Lepai amp and Dayton... 1 minute ago
- › Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Best USB DAC under $100? 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital