Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 122  

post #1816 of 6388
will the FiiO E11 be able to drive the Mad Dogs? or would i need to get something more powerful??


Edit: i said portable instead of powerful *facepalm*
Edited by fjeena - 11/17/12 at 10:17am
post #1817 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

I don't want to build too much hype, but I heard he MIGHT be eating turkey, if you know what I mean

LOL!

post #1818 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses667 View Post

So I've had my Mad Dogs for almost two weeks now. I have to admit I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them, but I think it might be more due to the chain and source than the headphones themselves. I'm listening to 256kb mp3s from iTunes on a MacBook Pro through a HeadRoom Total Air Head on high gain. What I notice most of all is what I'd call a veiled sound (which varies from recording to recording, but never quite disappears even when the MD's are almost gorgeously transparent). I also notice the music sounding distant, especially in the mid-range and vocals now and again. What strikes me most is that the distance and veiled sense reduce (and sometimes almost disappear) as I turn up the volume. The problem is that I often need to crank up the volume to push past some of the problems. Does anyone else have this type of experience with these headphones? Do you tend to feel that these headphones have a tendency to be veiled and/or distant or more likely do I have a deficiency in my chain driving the headphone?

 

Tdock likes this amp with the hd650 which he has recently re-aquired. So you might pm him and ask about the pairing. My thought is that the MD responds pretty well to amping as most orthos do. I'm using the lyr to great effect with this hp and don't hear the issues that you describe. 

post #1819 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses667 View Post

So I've had my Mad Dogs for almost two weeks now. I have to admit I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them, but I think it might be more due to the chain and source than the headphones themselves. I'm listening to 256kb mp3s from iTunes on a MacBook Pro through a HeadRoom Total Air Head on high gain. What I notice most of all is what I'd call a veiled sound (which varies from recording to recording, but never quite disappears even when the MD's are almost gorgeously transparent). I also notice the music sounding distant, especially in the mid-range and vocals now and again. What strikes me most is that the distance and veiled sense reduce (and sometimes almost disappear) as I turn up the volume. The problem is that I often need to crank up the volume to push past some of the problems. Does anyone else have this type of experience with these headphones? Do you tend to feel that these headphones have a tendency to be veiled and/or distant or more likely do I have a deficiency in my chain driving the headphone?

Are your running off the AC or batteries?

post #1820 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post

Refurb'd pair available: http://www.mrspeakers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56
I'd pick it up if I had about $10 more dollars and black Friday wasn't next week... :/

Good call! I went ahead and snagged those. wink.gif

Though, I see that the page is still available even after I ordered them. I can still put them in my shopping cart, even though it says they're out of stock. I didn't check to see if it said out of stock before I ordered them, so...might not have actually been the one to get them. We'll see! lol
post #1821 of 6388

I'm wondering how portable these are? I'm considering making them my portable cans for the library, driven out of an Audioquest Dragonfly. Would that work?

post #1822 of 6388

Why when I try to put any option from the website on the shopping cart it says that it's unavailable?

 

Is this normal?

 

Also, how long does it take priority vs express shipping for New York City?

post #1823 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by olorosooso View Post

I received my Mad Dogs last week (love 'em) and so far they seem to work well with my JDSlabs C421.  I'm using the hi-gain setting and not having to turn the volume up very high.  The bass boost has come in handy for a few albums as well, although for the most part I leave it on flat.  

 

I also have a Leckerton Audio UHA-6s mkii coming this week, will post how they work with the Mad Dogs if anyone is interested.  

 

I would like to hear your impressions on Mad Dogs + UHA-6S mkii, since I'm seriously thinking in getting both.

post #1824 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

I'm wondering how portable these are? I'm considering making them my portable cans for the library, driven out of an Audioquest Dragonfly. Would that work?

I'm driving mine out of a Pico Slim right now (use watcha got...). I believe it has a bit more power available than the dragonfly. The Pico slims power is barely enough. I can get to much louder than I will ever listen with it, and it does sound pretty good with the MD's. I am looking around for a cheap-ish higher power portable amp until my HIFI-M8 is available, whenever that is.

As to portable - I have one of headroom's headphone cases that I stuff I to a big messenger bag with the the rest of my daily junk, and take to work. They are excellent for this use, at a desk. They are not a good choice for active use. Too big, not enough clamping force.
post #1825 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


I'm driving mine out of a Pico Slim right now (use watcha got...). I believe it has a bit more power available than the dragonfly. The Pico slims power is barely enough. I can get to much louder than I will ever listen with it, and it does sound pretty good with the MD's. I am looking around for a cheap-ish higher power portable amp until my HIFI-M8 is available, whenever that is.
As to portable - I have one of headroom's headphone cases that I stuff I to a big messenger bag with the the rest of my daily junk, and take to work. They are excellent for this use, at a desk. They are not a good choice for active use. Too big, not enough clamping force.

 

Yeah, wouldn't be active use, but just trying to find out if I can pack them up at all -- seems like the answer is yes. I don't expect them to be like the HD25s, but not much is that portable. Are the roughly M50 sized? Because that's manageable.

 

And I think the Dragonfly seems like it'll be good. Not the best, but for a portable use that might be good. Still considering the Shure 840s too, but I've never had an ortho and curious about its sound.

post #1826 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelsas View Post

Why when I try to put any option from the website on the shopping cart it says that it's unavailable?

Is this normal?

Also, how long does it take priority vs express shipping for New York City?

Hi, and thanks for the interest...

Product is in stock so go ahead and place an order... Delivery is 3 days via priority mail.

Regards,

Dan
post #1827 of 6388

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhelsas View Post

 

I would like to hear your impressions on Mad Dogs + UHA-6S mkii, since I'm seriously thinking in getting both.

 

Good pairing. the UHA provides enough power, will also depend on source.

I love mine! ;-)

post #1828 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

Yeah, wouldn't be active use, but just trying to find out if I can pack them up at all -- seems like the answer is yes. I don't expect them to be like the HD25s, but not much is that portable. Are the roughly M50 sized? Because that's manageable.

And I think the Dragonfly seems like it'll be good. Not the best, but for a portable use that might be good. Still considering the Shure 840s too, but I've never had an ortho and curious about its sound.

More like HD650 sized. Pretty big.
post #1829 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

 

Yeah, wouldn't be active use, but just trying to find out if I can pack them up at all -- seems like the answer is yes. I don't expect them to be like the HD25s, but not much is that portable. Are the roughly M50 sized? Because that's manageable.

 

And I think the Dragonfly seems like it'll be good. Not the best, but for a portable use that might be good. Still considering the Shure 840s too, but I've never had an ortho and curious about its sound.

if it helps, the T50RP cups size is 110mm x 100mm(HxW). For comparison, my D2000s have a cup diameter of ~106mm. I do not consider the T50RP or it's derivatives to be particularly portable.

post #1830 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

if it helps, the T50RP cups size is 110mm x 100mm(HxW). For comparison, my D2000s have a cup diameter of ~106mm. I do not consider the T50RP or it's derivatives to be particularly portable.

 

Hmm, that's quite a bit bigger than I wanted. I guess that means I'm still looking for a portable mid-centric $200 circumaural headphone...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review