Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review - Page 89  

post #1321 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamilcarBarca View Post

Maybe:

 

The plug on the left (TRS) carries right, left, and common ground. The plug on the right (TRSS) splits the common ground into two grounds, one for each of the left and right drivers.


So if you order these cables, it comes with three rings on both sides right?

post #1322 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairyvic View Post


So if you order these cables, it comes with three rings on both sides right?

 

They have several. IIRC, the one you want is called "audio only" with the Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) design: $12.

 

(It has three conductors but technically only one of them is a "ring".)

post #1323 of 6388

Ok so to be clear the audio only one, for all intents and purposes gives you what having 3 rings on both sides would give you? Does it matter which end you plug into the headphone or source?

post #1324 of 6388

The Vmoda Audio Cable is just a stereo cable (TRS).  The 45deg. angle end has a TRRS plug but it is only used as a TRS.  I assume Vmoda use the angle plug from their already available cell phone cable for convenience instead of having manufacture another one.  The TRRS end has caused some confusion.

post #1325 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


How is vocal detail and resolution with Mad Dogs compared to Sig Pro?  How do the highs compare? Now that I found my fun headphone for modern music, I am looking for something with impressive midrange detail for soft rock and vocals.

 

Vocal detail on both of them is quite good but I have to give the nudge to the Mad Dogs because I find the mids more upfront. Listening to Esperanza Spalding, Nina Simone, etc. on these is a treat... BUT... still, I also have to give the 1up to the Shure 940s for vocals and acoustic!!! If you want a headphone just for listening vocals (especially female) I can definitely recommend the Shures...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post

 

How do the two compare soundstage wise (the mad dogs and the ultrasone sig pro)?

 

I don't find either of them as having great soundstage/instrument separation if compared against my Senns HD600s or the Shure 1840s (that was the best characteristic to MY ears for these Shures...). Both of them (MDs and Sig Pros) are a bit narrow and I wouldn't/couldn't tell you which one is "better" on that characteristic alone.

post #1326 of 6388

My Mad Dogs arrived today.

I was notified they had shipped on 2nd OCT, arrived to me in regional NSW, Australia, on 9th OCT. Great shipping.

 

Burning in at present. Some photos - forgot to take one with plastic wrapping over external box:

 

   

   

 

VERY QUICK initial impressions ( only a quick sample of a few well known tracks - FLAC / Foobar 2000 / Wasapi / Meier Audio StageDAC / Asgard ):

Only in comparison to AT AD900s & Beyer DT880 600 ohm Manufakturs - never heard any other HPs.

I'm awaiting delivery of SR-507 & upgraded Woo GES.

 

COMFORT: Very comfy - slightly more noticeable than my well run-in Beyers (2 and a half years old) but no issue.

One thing to note is there is greater range of large adjustment on the MDs. My Beyers are on MAX size setting for my fat head, still have more room to go on MDs.

 

SOUND: Smooth and detailed - bass seems neutralish - closer, more intimate soundstage than Beyers (closed vs semi-open ???).

Still good separation considering they have a closer presentation then the Beyers.

 

Asgard seems to drive them very well. 12 noon is quite loud.

 

I like them very much on initial impression. Kill the AD900s for music.

Usual caveats apply:  IMHO, YMMV, my music & equipment etc.

 

Thanks Dan, it has been a joy to deal with you.

 

Cheers,

 

Raksy


Edited by Raksasa - 10/8/12 at 8:46pm
post #1327 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raksasa View Post

My Mad Dogs arrived today.

I was notified they had shipped on 2nd OCT, arrived to me in regional NSW, Australia, on 9th OCT. Great shipping.

 

Burning in at present. Some photos - forgot to take one with plastic wrapping over external box:

 

   

   

 

VERY QUICK initial impressions ( only a quick sample of a few well known tracks - FLAC / Foobar 2000 / Wasapi / Meier Audio StageDAC / Asgard ):

Only in comparison to AT AD900s & Beyer DT880 600 ohm Manufakturs - never heard any other HPs.

I'm awaiting delivery of SR-507 & upgraded Woo GES.

 

COMFORT: Very comfy - slightly more noticeable than my well run-in Beyers (2 and a half years old) but no issue.

One thing to note is there is greater range of large adjustment on the MDs. My Beyers are on MAX size setting for my fat head, still have more room to go on MDs.

 

SOUND: Smooth and detailed - bass seems neutralish - closer, more intimate soundstage than Beyers (closed vs semi-open ???).

Still good separation considering they have a closer presentation then the Beyers.

 

Asgard seems to drive them very well. 12 noon is quite loud.

 

I like them very much on initial impression. Kill the AD900s for music.

Usual caveats apply:  IMHO, YMMV, my music & equipment etc.

 

Thanks Dan, it has been a joy to deal with you.

 

Cheers,

 

Raksy

 

You're welcome!   Thank you, as well.

 

beerchug.gif

post #1328 of 6388

Anyone got any impressions on Mad Dog vs stock vs Thunderpants vs Paradox? Getting really interested in this...


Edited by crinacle - 10/9/12 at 12:22am
post #1329 of 6388

Do the Mad Dogs leak much sound? How would they compare to say an IEM?

post #1330 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by crinacle View Post

Anyone got any impressions on Mad Dog vs stock vs Thunderpants vs Paradox? Getting really interested in this...

 

 

get the stock outta here!!! lol i have the stock sitting here waiting to be modded but before it gets modded, it gets 0 listening time, thats how much i dont like the stock version.

post #1331 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

Vocal detail on both of them is quite good but I have to give the nudge to the Mad Dogs because I find the mids more upfront. Listening to Esperanza Spalding, Nina Simone, etc. on these is a treat... BUT... still, I also have to give the 1up to the Shure 940s for vocals and acoustic!!! If you want a headphone just for listening vocals (especially female) I can definitely recommend the Shures...

 

 

I don't find either of them as having great soundstage/instrument separation if compared against my Senns HD600s or the Shure 1840s (that was the best characteristic to MY ears for these Shures...). Both of them (MDs and Sig Pros) are a bit narrow and I wouldn't/couldn't tell you which one is "better" on that characteristic alone.

 

Thanks for that answer. I too found the shure 940's to be good at one thing especially- female vocals. 

That's good that the mad dogs don't sound more closed in than the sig pro's. I guess anything much less than that would sound too closed in for me to enjoy properly. Heck, this IEM, grado gr8, don't get any eartime at all because of it's less than impressive soundstage. Maybe I'm claustrophobic. 

post #1332 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by crinacle View Post

Anyone got any impressions on Mad Dog vs stock vs Thunderpants vs Paradox? Getting really interested in this...

 

 

Mad Dogs and Paradox are the way to go.  Not sure if any Thunderpants are available anymore new - you might can find one on the used market.

post #1333 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunneebear View Post

The Vmoda Audio Cable is just a stereo cable (TRS).  The 45deg. angle end has a TRRS plug but it is only used as a TRS.  I assume Vmoda use the angle plug from their already available cell phone cable for convenience instead of having manufacture another one.  The TRRS end has caused some confusion.

So, which end does the 45 degree angle plug go in?

post #1334 of 6388
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairyvic View Post

So, which end does the 45 degree angle plug go in?


Headphone end.  I ordered one that arrived same day as my Mad Dogs.  It is a really nice solution for portable or at the work desk listening.  I can't tell any sound difference between stock and the vmoda.   I was gonna shorten and re-terminate the stock cable.  After trying the vmoda, I won't bother.  I'll probably buy another one for a spare.

post #1335 of 6388

Seriously considering ordering a pair of the Mad Dogs as i'm hearing some pretty fantastic stuff. These would be for indoor work use. Running off an iPhone or Macbook. Are these worth getting without an amp? If they must have an amp, which would be best to use on a Macbook Pro? I'm looking to spend no more than ~$400 total for everything (Headphones + Amp). Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › "Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review