Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Unique Melody Platform Pure 6 (PP6) - review (1st post), discussion, appreciation, & tour thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unique Melody Platform Pure 6 (PP6) - review (1st post), discussion, appreciation, & tour thread - Page 31

post #451 of 485

What kind of difference do they make? I know that they create a more coherent sound but I am not sure whether humans can detect the millisecond difference of timing. There must be something else that active phase-alignment creates

post #452 of 485
Ok here is what I hear .
First off the jh3a jh16 combo not the same but in some ways it's is.

With the amp and useing spidif coax or a external USB to coax like halide . The sound has more ambience , more space between instramints and in some ways more clear and precise.

If I use them without the amp I can get really close but useing about 5 k in electronics.

As for the pp6. The cross connect is not availible as of yet . So only the DAC/ amp box may be used . So as I do beleave there is something to be gained I cannot say without the cable.

Foot note the jh in ref is the freq phase
I also own a pair of jh16 all new drivers from JH. And rescelled at UM . I can say they sound great but not the same as the combo freq phase . But I can only here the difference when A/B testing its hard for me to tell from my memory . I'm just not that good at it. But there is a difference . The same as I said above. So in the end I think the pp6 is a good value based on not needing an amp or DAC. The same for JH . But this is just my opinion

AL D
post #453 of 485

Nope we can't, and it was proposed that we humans are not that sensitive when it comes to phase either (haven't read a detailed research on this though). 

 

One well known problem of balanced armature is that the phase curve isn't linear across the spectrum and as most people know IEMs that implement BAs tech always possess in-the-head imaging, which IMO is the result of not having linear phase. Google sound localization or IPD/ITD or ILD for more info on this.

 

Some companies like UE, JH approach this problem by hacking/modifying the inside of the drivers via working with manufacturers (Sonions/Knowles). Their final products are pretty neat but there's still more room for improvements. Or you can use dynamic drivers instead like what AKG did with ther K3003.

 

In speaker world phase alignment has more to do with fine tuning the response curve by neutralizing peaks and notches. But with IEMs that's not the real issue at hands since we have other means to dampen the curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjkimnada View Post

What kind of difference do they make? I know that they create a more coherent sound but I am not sure whether humans can detect the millisecond difference of timing. There must be something else that active phase-alignment creates


Edited by tranhieu - 4/15/13 at 7:18am
post #454 of 485
[does anyone here that has the pp6 receive the cross connection cable , so we can can use the IEM,S without there DAC/ amp box . I was promissed but never received it as yet . I am waiting on a refit and I was told the cable would ship with it. When I rec my reshell no cable . I hope it comes with the refit...
post #455 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

[does anyone here that has the pp6 receive the cross connection cable , so we can can use the IEM,S without there DAC/ amp box . I was promissed but never received it as yet . I am waiting on a refit and I was told the cable would ship with it. When I rec my reshell no cable . I hope it comes with the refit...


They have not put it out yet.

post #456 of 485
Great how about I do no see it on there website either.

Ty
post #457 of 485

I was very demanding to get one x-over cable for the JH3A back when it used active x-overs and I spoke with Jerry about it and he told me that they had done a lot research on a x-over cable. The problem was that and it was impossible to get good sound out of a x-over cable because the x-over has to be very near the BAs, and it was very expensive to make it. So he told me that a x-over cable could not be done! That's why Jerry announced the new version of JH3A without active x-over as a improvement in that it could be used without the amp. 

 

Jerry also said that active x-overs did not make any improvement of the sound. I like to know if that is true, but I only have the JH3A system so I have to refer to ALRAINBOW since he is more loaded with gears and have both 3A and PP6. I agree with ALRAINBOW that JH-16A sound much better with 3A then any other thing I've tried them with (I have the portaphile 627 also witch in my opinion don't even com close to control the congenital U-shaped sound of JH-16, they just become "to much" without the 3A) There is some magic going on between the JH-16 and 3A for shure.


Edited by Lindskog - 4/16/13 at 2:18pm
post #458 of 485
Thank you for your comments regarding my opinion .

I would like to clarify one statement .

When Jerry wanted to do what UM. Did there was supposedly a copy rt infringement on the application of external x over . Remember something about Jerry , great co and great products.

But on a personnel note he worked else where basically took the idea from where he worked or was a partner what ever . Then he got devorced and his wife works at UE . So how and why what he says is a statement that can be misleading .

As far as external crossover. Almost every IEM has one in side already it's a small square PC board where all the ba connect to. Some have ic chips . Putting one externally is the easy part and it is not expensive . The hard part is makeing it sound good, and I think UM. Is having a hard time with it. And I really hope they resolve it, but in the end they sound great with there amp like the jh3 a does anyway.

I hope this helps some people here but it's not helping us the pp6 owners whomr looking for a x over cable .

Ps as I am waiting for my refit I have emailed asking about the cable . No reply.
But I do have earlier emails from them saying it will be shipped soon
AL D .
post #459 of 485

Besides the x over adapter.  I also want to ask whether beat audio or some other cable company will release an upgrade cable for PP6.

post #460 of 485

Guys n' Girls in the UK - We have the opportunity to get a demo of the PP6 into us however we'll only have it for a few weeks, if you want to try this out and can get to us in Hertfordshire please let us know. We don't want to waste the opportunity so we'll only get it over when there's enough interest...

post #461 of 485
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-dB View Post

Guys n' Girls in the UK - We have the opportunity to get a demo of the PP6 into us however we'll only have it for a few weeks, if you want to try this out and can get to us in Hertfordshire please let us know. We don't want to waste the opportunity so we'll only get it over when there's enough interest...

 

Nice, that is a great opportunity!  

 

On a side note, UM is still working on perfecting the X-over cable and improving the braiding.  The new X-over cable should be available in a month or so, and then I will update the review accordingly.

post #462 of 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsean View Post

They were there with the PP6. I've been scrubbing the forums to see if anyone has posted about it, but so far, almost nothing. But, compared to previous years, there hasn't been much posting in general. Still waiting for the first review on this. If none pops up though, I am in line for an audition of it and will write one up.I have the JH3A right now and periodically think I wonder how this would sound if it were the PP6. 

Edwardsen, HELP... I am really hesitating between the PP6 and the JH3Aconfused_face_2.gif 

 

For me, one obvious advantage of the PP6 is the Optical and USB imput, because I will use it with either my iRiver AK100 (optical out) or my Laptop (USB). But... does the PP6 sound as good as the JH3A ?  ( I do not listen to loud agressive BASSY music, but rather vocals, piano, pop, rock...)

 

Also, It seems that the PP6 amp is quite small with 133x65x24 mm, but I couldn't find the domensions of the jh3A.  Can anyone provide me with this ? 

 

And last question, valid for PP6 and JH3A: Inside this tinny box, there are 3 DACS + 3 Amps... so, for this price and size, how can each DAC and each AMP be that good ?  Expecialy compared to stand alone portable AMP like the Centrance HiFi-M8 that I have on order for my full-size headphone portable ring ?  

post #463 of 485
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Edwardsen, HELP... I am really hesitating between the PP6 and the JH3Aconfused_face_2.gif 

 

For me, one obvious advantage of the PP6 is the Optical and USB imput, because I will use it with either my iRiver AK100 (optical out) or my Laptop (USB). But... does the PP6 sound as good as the JH3A ?  ( I do not listen to loud agressive BASSY music, but rather vocals, piano, pop, rock...)

 

Also, It seems that the PP6 amp is quite small with 133x65x24 mm, but I couldn't find the domensions of the jh3A.  Can anyone provide me with this ? 

 

And last question, valid for PP6 and JH3A: Inside this tinny box, there are 3 DACS + 3 Amps... so, for this price and size, how can each DAC and each AMP be that good ?  Expecialy compared to stand alone portable AMP like the Centrance HiFi-M8 that I have on order for my full-size headphone portable ring ?  

 

AlRainbow can answer the PP6 vs JH3A question, might be able to help with the rest, although you can search through this thread for his previously posted comments about how the two compare.  There is one DAC and 3 separate amps.  Amp circuits aren't just about size, there are other factors, and balanced armatures are much easier to drive than a full sized headphone.  Amps driving multi-BA IEMs/CIEMs have to deal with complex crossovers which can change performance in unexpected and hard to measure ways while the PP6 amps don't have to deal with this.

post #464 of 485
There was a short discussion previously on this thread about the sound signatures of the 3a and pp6 especially the bass department but other info too
post #465 of 485

Yes I read those comparaison between the 3a and pp6. They were very interesting, but Are there any new reviews or any additional experiences about those 2 systems ?  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Unique Melody Platform Pure 6 (PP6) - review (1st post), discussion, appreciation, & tour thread