I recently read that you should max the volume in Windows (If your dac doesn't bypass it altogether) in order to get the full bitstream to your dac. I've been using my dac with the Windows volume at whatever level it happened to be at which is usually around 50%. So I gave it a shot with the volume all the way up and turned my amp volume down to compensate. I don't know if it's just in my head and I'm going crazy, but it does seem as though the sound has seriously improved. Do any of you know the technical factors behind this?
Related Forum Threads
- Why are USB S/PDIF interfaces so expensive? Last post on 8/22/12 at 4:24pm in Computer Audio
- Loss of dynamics through optical out on desktop, help please Last post on 5/23/12 at 6:29pm in Computer Audio
- best bang for the buck usb dac and amp Last post on 6/30/10 at 2:11pm in Computer Audio
- Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp Last post on 10/11/13 at 5:38pm in Dedicated Source Components
- The new iMac... Last post on 12/30/12 at 8:24pm in Computer Audio
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
USB Dac and Windows volume control
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think what is happening is the DAC is doing its job fine in either case, but your amp does not have to work as hard with the volume on your PC at full. This lets your amp run in the comfort zone for its components rather than struggle to deliver a clean signal to your headphones/speakers.
If your DAC is being fed by a stereo jack on your PC then I doubt the DAC is really doing anything. The amp section is doing the work here not the DAC.
What DAC / Amp are you using and how do you have it plugged into your computer.
In the end it is as simple as the gain on your PC slightly increases the voltage out of the jack to your amp. Let's say you amp can multiply this signal by 100. If you originally fed it .01 volts with the volume down then the max output in ideal conditions for the amp would be 1 volt. If you turn up the volume on the PC to 100% the voltage out becomes say .05 volts. Now your amp can multiply that voltage by 100 and get 5 volts. Prior to that it was at 1 volt max. All of these numbers are arbitrary for my example, but you get the idea.
If you are running a cable from the stereo jack on your PC into your DAC then the signal is already in analog form and the DAC is doing nothing to it.
- USB Dac and Windows volume control
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 35 seconds ago
- › FS: AKG K812 Priced to Move 39 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 51 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Hello, in need for an amp or Dac for DT 880 6 minutes ago
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 Impressions! PICS! EVERYTHING! 7 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Tools for Analyzing the Quality of Mastering 9 minutes ago
- › Portable headphones recommendation 9 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)