I recently read that you should max the volume in Windows (If your dac doesn't bypass it altogether) in order to get the full bitstream to your dac. I've been using my dac with the Windows volume at whatever level it happened to be at which is usually around 50%. So I gave it a shot with the volume all the way up and turned my amp volume down to compensate. I don't know if it's just in my head and I'm going crazy, but it does seem as though the sound has seriously improved. Do any of you know the technical factors behind this?
Related Forum Threads
- Why are USB S/PDIF interfaces so expensive? Last post on 8/22/12 at 4:24pm in Computer Audio
- Loss of dynamics through optical out on desktop, help please Last post on 5/23/12 at 6:29pm in Computer Audio
- best bang for the buck usb dac and amp Last post on 6/30/10 at 2:11pm in Computer Audio
- Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp Last post on 11/21/14 at 4:57pm in Dedicated Source Components
- The new iMac... Last post on 12/30/12 at 8:24pm in Computer Audio
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
Bluedio Vinyl Plus Bluetooth Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Like HD471i but closed and produce better resonance, better volume, clarity on treble, but none of these descriptions actually help make it sound good..to be honest. And to be honest, t40rp mk2...
Firstly I would like to thank 1More for sending me this sample to review, I always try to write honest reviews, these received over 50hrs of burn-in before review, no differences were...
USB Dac and Windows volume control
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think what is happening is the DAC is doing its job fine in either case, but your amp does not have to work as hard with the volume on your PC at full. This lets your amp run in the comfort zone for its components rather than struggle to deliver a clean signal to your headphones/speakers.
If your DAC is being fed by a stereo jack on your PC then I doubt the DAC is really doing anything. The amp section is doing the work here not the DAC.
What DAC / Amp are you using and how do you have it plugged into your computer.
In the end it is as simple as the gain on your PC slightly increases the voltage out of the jack to your amp. Let's say you amp can multiply this signal by 100. If you originally fed it .01 volts with the volume down then the max output in ideal conditions for the amp would be 1 volt. If you turn up the volume on the PC to 100% the voltage out becomes say .05 volts. Now your amp can multiply that voltage by 100 and get 5 volts. Prior to that it was at 1 volt max. All of these numbers are arbitrary for my example, but you get the idea.
If you are running a cable from the stereo jack on your PC into your DAC then the signal is already in analog form and the DAC is doing nothing to it.
- USB Dac and Windows volume control
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 40 seconds ago
- › Trinity VYRUS IEM available for pre-order now! 43 seconds ago
- › The earphone game just got a lot more SIRIUS. The new five driver... 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Metrum Acoustics Menuet DAC 2 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 3 minutes ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 4 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › German Maestro GMP 8.40 D Professional by mien
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...