I recently read that you should max the volume in Windows (If your dac doesn't bypass it altogether) in order to get the full bitstream to your dac. I've been using my dac with the Windows volume at whatever level it happened to be at which is usually around 50%. So I gave it a shot with the volume all the way up and turned my amp volume down to compensate. I don't know if it's just in my head and I'm going crazy, but it does seem as though the sound has seriously improved. Do any of you know the technical factors behind this?
Related Forum Threads
- Why are USB S/PDIF interfaces so expensive? Last post on 8/22/12 at 4:24pm in Computer Audio
- Loss of dynamics through optical out on desktop, help please Last post on 5/23/12 at 6:29pm in Computer Audio
- best bang for the buck usb dac and amp Last post on 6/30/10 at 2:11pm in Computer Audio
- Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp Last post on 11/21/14 at 4:57pm in Dedicated Source Components
- The new iMac... Last post on 12/30/12 at 8:24pm in Computer Audio
Here's everything you need to know http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-sony-playstation-1-scph.html Here's the Stereophile review on it...
TTPOD T1E Review Background Be using me Fiio X3 for this review ......fosho' this purple jet pack is one sexy lookin' IEM .....housing is big but could be a problem for some with the...
The PM3 is Oppo's 3rd headphone offering, a closed back planar magnetic. Thank you to @Jiffy Squid and Oppo for allowing us Head-fiers to audition these at the comfort of our own home and time,...
How much more can we possibly hear? At some point audio, and personal audio by default, becomes a continual series of efforts to throw oneself over the walls of the physical world. We try...
Before reading below, please check out my video review of the Focal XS 2.1 Satellites on YouTube. Please also support the channel by liking the video and sharing it with your friends! A sub won't...
USB Dac and Windows volume control
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think what is happening is the DAC is doing its job fine in either case, but your amp does not have to work as hard with the volume on your PC at full. This lets your amp run in the comfort zone for its components rather than struggle to deliver a clean signal to your headphones/speakers.
If your DAC is being fed by a stereo jack on your PC then I doubt the DAC is really doing anything. The amp section is doing the work here not the DAC.
What DAC / Amp are you using and how do you have it plugged into your computer.
In the end it is as simple as the gain on your PC slightly increases the voltage out of the jack to your amp. Let's say you amp can multiply this signal by 100. If you originally fed it .01 volts with the volume down then the max output in ideal conditions for the amp would be 1 volt. If you turn up the volume on the PC to 100% the voltage out becomes say .05 volts. Now your amp can multiply that voltage by 100 and get 5 volts. Prior to that it was at 1 volt max. All of these numbers are arbitrary for my example, but you get the idea.
If you are running a cable from the stereo jack on your PC into your DAC then the signal is already in analog form and the DAC is doing nothing to it.
- USB Dac and Windows volume control
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 14 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 2 minutes ago
- › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones... 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › Nuforce HA-200: High performance, Single Ended, Class-A Headphone... 4 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Help me chose closed over the ear headphones in between 100-200$ 7 minutes ago
- › difference between t51i and t51p 11 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 12 minutes ago
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Armaegis
- › Logitech Z-560 THX-Certified 4.1 Speaker System by spronkey
- › MDR-XD 150 W weiß by whitemass
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2