I recently read that you should max the volume in Windows (If your dac doesn't bypass it altogether) in order to get the full bitstream to your dac. I've been using my dac with the Windows volume at whatever level it happened to be at which is usually around 50%. So I gave it a shot with the volume all the way up and turned my amp volume down to compensate. I don't know if it's just in my head and I'm going crazy, but it does seem as though the sound has seriously improved. Do any of you know the technical factors behind this?
Related Forum Threads
- Why are USB S/PDIF interfaces so expensive? Last post on 8/22/12 at 4:24pm in Computer Audio
- Loss of dynamics through optical out on desktop, help please Last post on 5/23/12 at 6:29pm in Computer Audio
- best bang for the buck usb dac and amp Last post on 6/30/10 at 2:11pm in Computer Audio
- Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp Last post on 11/21/14 at 4:57pm in Dedicated Source Components
- The new iMac... Last post on 12/30/12 at 8:24pm in Computer Audio
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
Introduction In audio circles, the word "endgame" generally refers to a headphone or audio chain component that is practically without fault, and performs at a high enough level to...
Would never dreamed of buying a pair of Beats but end up finding a pair for a rock bottom price(1/3 of the normal retail) so I thought what the heck. Just a side note, since they were...
USB Dac and Windows volume control
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think what is happening is the DAC is doing its job fine in either case, but your amp does not have to work as hard with the volume on your PC at full. This lets your amp run in the comfort zone for its components rather than struggle to deliver a clean signal to your headphones/speakers.
If your DAC is being fed by a stereo jack on your PC then I doubt the DAC is really doing anything. The amp section is doing the work here not the DAC.
What DAC / Amp are you using and how do you have it plugged into your computer.
In the end it is as simple as the gain on your PC slightly increases the voltage out of the jack to your amp. Let's say you amp can multiply this signal by 100. If you originally fed it .01 volts with the volume down then the max output in ideal conditions for the amp would be 1 volt. If you turn up the volume on the PC to 100% the voltage out becomes say .05 volts. Now your amp can multiply that voltage by 100 and get 5 volts. Prior to that it was at 1 volt max. All of these numbers are arbitrary for my example, but you get the idea.
If you are running a cable from the stereo jack on your PC into your DAC then the signal is already in analog form and the DAC is doing nothing to it.
- USB Dac and Windows volume control
- › WTH? no posting option in the other forums? 20 seconds ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 26 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr & Lyr 2 Tube Compatibility List 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available 3 minutes ago
- › Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go. 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 5 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3