I recently read that you should max the volume in Windows (If your dac doesn't bypass it altogether) in order to get the full bitstream to your dac. I've been using my dac with the Windows volume at whatever level it happened to be at which is usually around 50%. So I gave it a shot with the volume all the way up and turned my amp volume down to compensate. I don't know if it's just in my head and I'm going crazy, but it does seem as though the sound has seriously improved. Do any of you know the technical factors behind this?
Related Forum Threads
- Why are USB S/PDIF interfaces so expensive? Last post on 8/22/12 at 4:24pm in Computer Audio
- Loss of dynamics through optical out on desktop, help please Last post on 5/23/12 at 6:29pm in Computer Audio
- best bang for the buck usb dac and amp Last post on 6/30/10 at 2:11pm in Computer Audio
- Review: Audinst HUD-mx1 USB DAC/amp Last post on 10/11/13 at 5:38pm in Dedicated Source Components
- The new iMac... Last post on 12/30/12 at 8:24pm in Computer Audio
This is a Review of Brainwavz S5 in-ear monitors. http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html I was a little cautious approaching the review of the latest flagship in-ear model from Brainwavz. With a...
I had high expectations of this based on so-called "professional reviews" listed on the iFi website & ones here. Particularly the one from the audiostream "Greatest bits"...
I don't constantly own a huge headphone inventory, in the past I had the Sennheiser Amperior + HD25, ATH-M50X, and currently have the V-MODA M100. Compared to those headphones the K267 superior if...
I got these phones as a gift, and I am quite happy with the sound quality and comfort. The noise cancelling is also quite good, and can completely eliminate certain frequencies of extraneous noise....
I will start by saying I went through 3 of these. All of which were under warranty, and I was by no means rough with them. The sound was nice, it had a decent bass compared to any of my other...
USB Dac and Windows volume control
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I think what is happening is the DAC is doing its job fine in either case, but your amp does not have to work as hard with the volume on your PC at full. This lets your amp run in the comfort zone for its components rather than struggle to deliver a clean signal to your headphones/speakers.
If your DAC is being fed by a stereo jack on your PC then I doubt the DAC is really doing anything. The amp section is doing the work here not the DAC.
What DAC / Amp are you using and how do you have it plugged into your computer.
In the end it is as simple as the gain on your PC slightly increases the voltage out of the jack to your amp. Let's say you amp can multiply this signal by 100. If you originally fed it .01 volts with the volume down then the max output in ideal conditions for the amp would be 1 volt. If you turn up the volume on the PC to 100% the voltage out becomes say .05 volts. Now your amp can multiply that voltage by 100 and get 5 volts. Prior to that it was at 1 volt max. All of these numbers are arbitrary for my example, but you get the idea.
If you are running a cable from the stereo jack on your PC into your DAC then the signal is already in analog form and the DAC is doing nothing to it.
- USB Dac and Windows volume control
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 5 seconds ago
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!) 51 seconds ago
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 2 minutes ago
- › 7/26/14 Seattle Redhook Meet impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Alessandro Music Series MS PRO FAN CLUB! 3 minutes ago
- › Over Ear Headphones Recommenditions Please 5 minutes ago
- › Tekfusion® Twinwoofers® In-Ear Headphones - Reviewers Needed! 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 6 minutes ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 6 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by twister6
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by DallasDanielle
- › AudioQuest Carbon USB Digital Audio Cable 1.5m by Maxx134
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kwilt
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)