Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › A Sensational, Fantastic, And Simply Amazing New Binaural Album By Chesky!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Sensational, Fantastic, And Simply Amazing New Binaural Album By Chesky! - Page 4

post #46 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

 

Chesky fixed those tracks a few days ago. I re-downloaded the 24/96 and 16/44 albums, and they work fine. Let me know if you guys are still having problems, and, if so, I'll give them a call.

 

Thanks for the update, I downloaded the album as a result, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet to verify the tracks. I'll try to test the troubled tracks tonight and report back.

post #47 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Your ISP won't see it that way. ;)

 

If you do it right your ISP won't see it at all...

post #48 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

 

If you do it right your ISP won't see it at all...

And if HDTracks weren't practicing download policies that haven't changed since the 14th century, you wouldn't need to worry about it biggrin.gif

 

I understand why they do it.  Bandwidth is expensive, and allowing 1GB+ transfers "as many times as you'd like" would multiply their costs to deliver albums, reduce the profits of running a business that is already highly niche, and probably drive costs up (which would be too high for us to willingly pay them, then they would go out of business.)  However it's still fairly annoying "just in case" something happens.

 

Even iTunes is draconian and won't allow re-downloads of music.  They allow it for apps, but not music.  And that's only 256k lossy stuff totaling 50-100mb. 

 

One more reason to dislike digital distribution.   The only thing that keeps me a customer of theirs is there's no other place to reliably get high-res tracks to my Squeezebox rig, and if I had a disaster I would not be happy with re-ripping my hundreds, approaching 1k CDs either so I already retain backups in quadruplicate of my music server.  I've burned out enough CD drives ripping them all to begin with rolleyes.gif

post #49 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMCrazy View Post

And if HDTracks weren't practicing download policies that haven't changed since the 14th century, you wouldn't need to worry about it biggrin.gif

 

I understand why they do it.  Bandwidth is expensive, and allowing 1GB+ transfers "as many times as you'd like" would multiply their costs to deliver albums, reduce the profits of running a business that is already highly niche, and probably drive costs up (which would be too high for us to willingly pay them, then they would go out of business.)  However it's still fairly annoying "just in case" something happens.

 

Even iTunes is draconian and won't allow re-downloads of music.  They allow it for apps, but not music.  And that's only 256k lossy stuff totaling 50-100mb. 

 

Ever use steam? That's digital distribution done right.

 

I really don't buy the bandwidth argument either, given that I can get a 10GB game for $5 in a steam sale that can be downloaded as many times as I want -- the developers and valve make absolute bucket loads from those bargain basement sales.

 

Any cost associated with the occasional repeat download would more than likely be made up for by the increased number of users willing to use the service. If their download policy wasn't so frustratingly backwards, I'd use HD Tracks extensively. As it stands now, I won't touch them.


Edited by Jeff Graw - 6/11/12 at 11:40am
post #50 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Graw View Post

Ever use steam? That's digital distribution done right.

 

It's done better, but still not right.  There's still DRM

 

For right I'd recommend GOG.

post #51 of 145
Just a heads up you can redownload anything you buy on iTunes now. They added a 'Purchased' section recently that allows you to redownload songs, movies, etc.

Unfortunately all of my stuff was downloaded back when they did 128kbs instead of 256...and even though they no longer sell it in 128 that's all I can DL it in. frown.gif
post #52 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

 

It's done better, but still not right.  There's still DRM

 

For right I'd recommend GOG.

Looks interesting, but the DRM is to prevent piracy. Does GOG have all of the latest games (on par with what Steam has)? I can handle the DRM, but I hate how it's against their usage agreement to sell your account. He got it back eventually but a kid with $1,800 (USD) got caught sellign his account on eBay and they banned it, and he lost all of those games (more importantly the money!). I'd raise hell. I have around $400 on my Steam account that I never use (in about 50 games, including all the Rockstar games [like GTA], COD Black Ops, etc) if anyone wants it ;)

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Just a heads up you can redownload anything you buy on iTunes now. They added a 'Purchased' section recently that allows you to redownload songs, movies, etc.
Unfortunately all of my stuff was downloaded back when they did 128kbs instead of 256...and even though they no longer sell it in 128 that's all I can DL it in. frown.gif

It used to be "only once" but you could call in to Apple Support and they'd set your account to re-download everything you've ever bought, so next time you log in you have all your purchases re-downloading. They let me do it a few times in one week though when stuff kept getting screwed up, and half of it was stuff I never bought or wanted :P

post #53 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Graw View Post

 

Ever use steam? That's digital distribution done right.

 

I really don't buy the bandwidth argument either, given that I can get a 10GB game for $5 in a steam sale that can be downloaded as many times as I want -- the developers and valve make absolute bucket loads from those bargain basement sales.

 

Any cost associated with the occasional repeat download would more than likely be made up for by the increased number of users willing to use the service. If their download policy wasn't so frustratingly backwards, I'd use HD Tracks extensively. As it stands now, I won't touch them.

 

Steam is nice for a variety of reasons, yes.  However, their model is very different to HDTracks since they're mass-market distribution.  Only core audiophiles have any interest whatsoever in HDTracks.  Also Valve has big market power with Steam and can demand fair contracts from content providers.  HDTracks is no doubt getting gauged from here to tomorrow from the music publishers who are DRM-paranoid, especially about their 24-bit masters & semi-masters transferred over HDTracks no doubt more modest supply.  Valve is no doubt getting huge per-GB discounts on bandwidth due to buying bandwidth in huge bulk contracts since they're wide mass-market and large-size per item transfers.  They're spending far more to buy that supply, but can because they have far more customers.  And publishers are willing to take a hit on it and sell at better bargains since it's DRM'ed, locked, and they don't have to splurge on copyright material.  So for a $50 game, Valve maybe paid $5-10 per license.  I bet HDTracks is getting toasted by publishers since they're DRM....maybe $7-8 on a $12 16/44.1.  No inside information on either of them, but general knowledge of the scales of economies of the limited market and the way game publishers versus DRM-less music publishers react. 

 

I don't like HDTracks policy, and I only somewhat like their pricing, but I don't think they're making huge boatloads of money on the deal either after costs.  Profit, sure, but a steady trickle, not the huge dumptruck full of money it looks like. The music publishers on the other hand.....back the truck in slowly.  Cheskey and the like aside of course....they charge a lot, pull in a lot, but of course spend fortunes on the recording as well, right down to modeling dummy heads like we see here wink.gif

 

If you want to try to handle costs and scales of economy, just try running your own content distribution service and see how bandwidth costs start racking up eek.gif  It's a lot more affordable if you're buying enough bandwidth on enough continents for a few terabytes a second.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Just a heads up you can redownload anything you buy on iTunes now. They added a 'Purchased' section recently that allows you to redownload songs, movies, etc.
Unfortunately all of my stuff was downloaded back when they did 128kbs instead of 256...and even though they no longer sell it in 128 that's all I can DL it in. frown.gif

 

Very cool, I'm glad to see that.  I'm not, in any way an iTunes fan with 256k lossy, though I have some around, but for that content I'd still prefer it to Amazon's simply because the AAC codec is nicer than Lame which Amazon uses.  On the other hand, speaking of scales of economy, it took Apple quite a long time to allow you to re-download something you bought.  If it took that long for one of the top companies on the planet in terms of finances, it's hard to be too angry at little old HDTracks.

post #54 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Looks interesting, but the DRM is to prevent piracy. Does GOG have all of the latest games (on par with what Steam has)? I can handle the DRM, but I hate how it's against their usage agreement to sell your account. He got it back eventually but a kid with $1,800 (USD) got caught sellign his account on eBay and they banned it, and he lost all of those games (more importantly the money!). I'd raise hell. I have around $400 on my Steam account that I never use (in about 50 games, including all the Rockstar games [like GTA], COD Black Ops, etc) if anyone wants it ;)

 

Except that it doesn't actually prevent "piracy" and only makes things more difficult for the user.  They don't have all the latest releases but I never said they did.  They're just one of the few place that does digital distribution right.  They make it easier to buy the game than to "pirate" it.

 

Personally, I no longer buy anything with those kinds of restrictions.  Otherwise I don't actually own it.  I don't put up with things that have to phone home, be activated over the internet, or can only be played by special programs because you never know when those are going to disappear.

post #55 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

 

Except that it doesn't actually prevent "piracy" and only makes things more difficult for the user.  They don't have all the latest releases but I never said they did.  They're just one of the few place that does digital distribution right.  They make it easier to buy the game than to "pirate" it.

 

Personally, I no longer buy anything with those kinds of restrictions.  Otherwise I don't actually own it.  I don't put up with things that have to phone home, be activated over the internet, or can only be played by special programs because you never know when those are going to disappear.

True. At least you can play them offline except there's that one company, EA maybe?, that's changing that. What's messed up is buying a disc that activates with Steam, preventing its resale (even though you aren't really supposed to re-sell PC stuff since it can just be ripped and stored, and it still has a license key I guess but still kinda messed up). Smart idea to prevent piracy, but not very nice mad.gif

post #56 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

 

It used to be "only once" but you could call in to Apple Support and they'd set your account to re-download everything you've ever bought, so next time you log in you have all your purchases re-downloading. They let me do it a few times in one week though when stuff kept getting screwed up, and half of it was stuff I never bought or wanted :P

 

I paid a small fee for the privilege of re-downloading all my older purchased music in the new DRM-free, higher-resolution (still lossy) iTunes Plus format.

post #57 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

I paid a small fee for the privilege of re-downloading all my older purchased music in the new DRM-free, higher-resolution (still lossy) iTunes Plus format.

Yeah me too, it was like 30 cents a song or something, and 60c for videos, something like that.

 

What's funny is they still call it "iTunes Plus". (I think, they still have the little "+" next to everything don't they?) If everything is the same thing like that, why does it need a special label?


Edited by jtaylor991 - 6/11/12 at 2:54pm
post #58 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Graw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin6264 View Post

I think you can re-download any album you purchased by browsing your orders archives. I could be wrong though. I'm pretty sure there's a way though.

 

Nope.

 

Q: What if I accidentally erase my HDtracks from my hard drive?
A: We encourage you to back up all of your music files. HDtracks cannot be responsible for lost files. However, if you lose a file while the download is in progress, please contact us and we will help you to complete the process.

 

When combined with their overcharging for high resolution files, this is pretty lame, especially considering how cheaply one can pick up SACDs.

 

There is a definite niche for downloadable high resolution music, but with their high prices and backwards single download policy, HD tracks has failed to meet it frown.gif

 

If you lose your SACD, the shop wont give you a replacement either.  As for "overcharging" -- if the price isn't good for you, don't buy from them. Not to mention, there are quite a few SACDs now that cost over $100, sometimes $250 or more because Sony stopped making them, so I have to disagree with your argument. o2smile.gif

post #59 of 145

Sorry to keep to the OT convo going, but how do I go about doing this? I'd love to have some of the stuff I downloaded before in 256. Do I just contact Apple support? D you have to upgrade all of your previous purchases or can you pick and choose?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 

I paid a small fee for the privilege of re-downloading all my older purchased music in the new DRM-free, higher-resolution (still lossy) iTunes Plus format.

post #60 of 145

It was a while ago, from what I remember it had to do with reviewing past purchases in your iTunes shopping cart/account.

 

Here we go, just Googled "Upgrading to iTunes Plus" and this was the first result:

 

"Any available upgrades will be shown on the Upgrade to iTunes Plus page. You can upgrade all of your items at once by using the Buy All button. This replaces all eligible previous purchases with iTunes Plus versions of the same items. You can also choose to make individual upgrades by clicking the Buy button to the right of each item. Song upgrades are available for 0.30 USD, video upgrades for 0.60 USD, and albums for 30 percent of the album price. The counter to the right of the "Upgrade to iTunes Plus" link in the Quick Links box will indicate when additional eligible content become available."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › A Sensational, Fantastic, And Simply Amazing New Binaural Album By Chesky!