Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My ears have grown out of onboard sound and Apple earbuds. I'm looking for the optimal price/performance option for headphones and a DAC/sound card/headphone amp for under $300.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My ears have grown out of onboard sound and Apple earbuds. I'm looking for the optimal... - Page 3

post #31 of 69
Thread Starter 

Uh... I do feel at home. I've gained tons upon tons of information I know I never could have found out myself, from the both of you. And isn't that the point of the thread? Honestly the argument does not matter in the slightest. Arguing over passive-aggressiveness on a thread that's supposed to help me--and do nothing else.

 

And both of you have achieved that! And I appreciate it! Right now I'm definitely investing in the E17 when it comes back on mp4nation. I'm going to a store in my local area (L.A.) to try out Grados. I'm still in the dark of a place that sells Senns and Beyers, but I'll figure it out.

 

Both of you, thank you for your help! Let's all be friends here.

post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschi223 View Post

Uh... I do feel at home. I've gained tons upon tons of information I know I never could have found out myself, from the both of you. And isn't that the point of the thread? Honestly the argument does not matter in the slightest. Arguing over passive-aggressiveness on a thread that's supposed to help me--and do nothing else.

And both of you have achieved that! And I appreciate it! Right now I'm definitely investing in the E17 when it comes back on mp4nation. I'm going to a store in my local area (L.A.) to try out Grados. I'm still in the dark of a place that sells Senns and Beyers, but I'll figure it out.

Both of you, thank you for your help! Let's all be friends here.

Alright, well that's good. I'm glad. My concerns were then for not. I'm happy we could help you, sincerely. Good luck with everything!


Note to self: don't call anyone out on anything in the future as it will inevitably turn into a pointless argument as the other party will generally be uncomprehensive of your point.
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

2) Something specifically for gaming does not headphones make.  A gaming headset is clearly not what he's looking for and something like that is pointless anyway.  It's only for hardcore gamers who get some crazy mouse and keyboard to go along with that. 

 

 

What?! I was gonna suggest a gaming headset! Oh, so since I am obviously incapable of making a good suggestion, maybe I should consult Your Majesty next time.

 

So what, I'm just some "hardcore gamer" who lives in my mom's basement and gets Cheetos stains on my "crazy" mouse and keyboard. I bet not choosing Doritos was a "crazy" idea too.

My gaming headset is pointless huh? Are you saying my life is meaningless? HOW DARE YOU. Guess I should just crawl into a corner and die with my virginity.

 

I hate when condescending people with strident tones LIKE YOU verbally abuse and attack our way of life. Gamers Unite!

post #34 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper View Post

 

What?! I was gonna suggest a gaming headset! Oh, so since I am obviously incapable of making a good suggestion, maybe I should consult Your Majesty next time.

 

So what, I'm just some "hardcore gamer" who lives in my mom's basement and gets Cheetos stains on my "crazy" mouse and keyboard. I bet not choosing Doritos was a "crazy" idea too.

My gaming headset is pointless huh? Are you saying my life is meaningless? HOW DARE YOU. Guess I should just crawl into a corner and die with my virginity.

 

I hate when condescending people with strident tones LIKE YOU verbally abuse and attack our way of life. Gamers Unite!

Lol, wth?  I have nothing against gamers.  So far, you're the one that gave a negative impression of yourself.  You have problems with your self-esteem man..  When I said a "crazy" mouse and keyboard, I meant like a lot of extra buttons and specifically designed, similar to what I know my cousin has for DotA.  I said that the headphones for gaming are specifically designed for just that and the OP wants headphones for music.  For music or anything else really, yes, a gaming headset is not the best idea.  I can go into detail why but that'd be besides the point. 

 

Read this again, "2) Something specifically for gaming does not headphones make.  A gaming headset is clearly not what he's looking for and something like that is pointless anyway.  It's only for hardcore gamers who get some crazy mouse and keyboard to go along with that." 

 

I'm not a hardcore gamer so for me, I actually enjoy the experience of regular stereo high quality headphones which don't jam a bunch of tiny drivers which deliver pretty much just sound effects. 

 

I have the wireless Logitech G930's and they're awesome...  BUT, I only use them sometimes for Skype if I need to walk far from the computer or I use it for FPS games that accurately have shooting sounds represented directionally.  For that it can be kinda cool sometimes.  For other purposes, it just makes things sound worse.  Who's judging?...  How old are you man?.. <-- Rhetorical

 

Why would you suggest a gaming headset?  Because you REALLY like playing games and know that there are MARKETED headphones that say they're specifically designed for those purposes so therefore since you have them they must be awesome?  Sigh, give me a break...  You went nuts for no reason.

 

 

*Facepalm* OP, I wish there was an option for you to delete all this BS off of your thread.  It would be well justified.  I don't know how to better handle these things.  People get involved in others' business.  If it were just suggestions all directed at you, that's one thing.  When words start being directed at someone else's and ego comes into play, this dumb crap begins to happen...


Edited by Typhoon859 - 6/9/12 at 8:20pm
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

Lol, wth?  I have nothing against gamers.  So far, you're the one that gave a negative impression of yourself.  You have problems with your self-esteem man..  When I said a "crazy" mouse and keyboard, I meant like a lot of extra buttons and specifically designed, similar to what I know my cousin has for DotA.  I said that the headphones for gaming are specifically designed for just that and the OP wants headphones for music.  For music or anything else really, yes, a gaming headset is not the best idea.  I can go into detail why but that'd be besides the point. 

 

Read this again, "2) Something specifically for gaming does not headphones make.  A gaming headset is clearly not what he's looking for and something like that is pointless anyway.  It's only for hardcore gamers who get some crazy mouse and keyboard to go along with that." 

 

I'm not a hardcore gamer so for me, I actually enjoy the experience of regular stereo high quality headphones which don't jam a bunch of tiny drivers which deliver pretty much just sound effects. 

 

I have the wireless Logitech G930's and they're awesome...  BUT, I only use them sometimes for Skype if I need to walk far from the computer or I use it for FPS games that accurately have shooting sounds represented directionally.  For that it can be kinda cool sometimes.  For other purposes, it just makes things sound worse.  Who's judging?...  How old are you man?.. <-- Rhetorical

 

Why would you suggest a gaming headset?  Because you REALLY like playing games and know that there are MARKETED headphones that say they're specifically designed for those purposes so therefore since you have them they must be awesome?  Sigh, give me a break...  You went nuts for no reason.

 

 

*Facepalm* OP, I wish there was an option for you to delete all this BS off of your thread.  It would be well justified.  I don't know how to better handle these things.  People get involved in others' business.  If it were just suggestions all directed at you, that's one thing.  When words start being directed at someone else's and ego comes into play, this dumb crap begins to happen...

 

 

 

i believe he said these things to you because of what you said to brooko, lol... i guess the point made is we can all offend other people unintentionally.

post #36 of 69

Might be better to just let this thread rest lads.  I took no offence, and am genuinely sorry Typhoon took my comments in a manner that wasn't intended, and it escalated from there.  Anyway - I still bear him no ill-will, and whilst I don't feel the need to apologise, I will do so anyway.  No hard feelings from this end Typhoon.  Am sorry if anything I posted offended you - it was not intended.

 

Anyway - the OP has been PMing me - and he's well along the track to trying some headphones out.  When he eventually gets what whe's decided on, I hope he will post back with his impressions.  I'm always curious to see what people end up with.

 

Peace all.

post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Might be better to just let this thread rest lads.  I took no offence, and am genuinely sorry Typhoon took my comments in a manner that wasn't intended, and it escalated from there.  Anyway - I still bear him no ill-will, and whilst I don't feel the need to apologise, I will do so anyway.  No hard feelings from this end Typhoon.  Am sorry if anything I posted offended you - it was not intended.

 

Anyway - the OP has been PMing me - and he's well along the track to trying some headphones out.  When he eventually gets what whe's decided on, I hope he will post back with his impressions.  I'm always curious to see what people end up with.

 

Peace all.

 

 

i also will like to see what his final decisions are

post #38 of 69
I'm scared to bring anything up now. Can I mention break-in and other details which relate to it or is that going to be highly debated as well?...
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

I'm scared to bring anything up now. Can I mention break-in and other details which relate to it or is that going to be highly debated as well?...

 

 

 

hahaha, just bring it in lol.

post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

I'm scared to bring anything up now. Can I mention break-in and other details which relate to it or is that going to be highly debated as well?...

 

Just mention it as "IMO" - nothing wrong with that.  Prepare to have anything "break-in" related debated though.  Highly controversial subject.  Personally it's the last thing I'd be suggesting to a newcomer to better audio.  IMO there is enough 'night and day' break-in BS around here already.  Brain burn-in I'm perfectly OK with though wink.gif

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

 

Just mention it as "IMO" - nothing wrong with that.  Prepare to have anything "break-in" related debated though.  Highly controversial subject.  Personally it's the last thing I'd be suggesting to a newcomer to better audio.  IMO there is enough 'night and day' break-in BS around here already.  Brain burn-in I'm perfectly OK with though wink.gif

 

 

 

i dont know about breaking in the headphone physically but yes i do believe in brain burn in, some headphones sound signature just needs time for my ears to get adjusted to... still remember the first moment when i got my sennheiser, i was so disappointed lol

post #42 of 69
Right, well... Obviously time is needed to process what you're hearing. Many people just look for a "wow" factor which is why there are so many bass enthusiasts. In general, that's most people's expectations at first. They expect to experience their roof blown off like at a Rock concert (if they've ever been to one).

Break-in for headphones or speakers does seem to be controversial in terms of results but it's not opinion. Any expert and engineer almost always recommend it unless its already been done - the designers of the products themselves. For the most part, what they create isn't an accident, nor is what they hear or test. At the very least, after time, in this case, that the headphones are exposed to sound, the sound changes. Call it whatever you like, but the preference in this change would be for it to be skewed in the best direction since it permanently shapes the sound you'll be getting. And regardless, before doing any true listening, you would probably want the sound not to change as prominently as it does in the start which is why I would want to suggest breaking them in. The how of the matter is opinion on which I don't have because I've never done any exclusive tests. I was hoping for suggestions but I'm guessing you guys feel like its something you still didn't buy into.

IMO, I think the headphones need to be broken in although how in my own words I can't really fully back up. It'd just be what I'd done, not knowing its validity over something else. I just played as much varied music as possible which I had my entire collection of run through a form of manual replay gain adjustments prior. I was therefore able to set an average volume level slightly above listening preference and that was that. Hours upon hours (50+)... There are also methods using white noise, pink noise, and/or sweep tones.
Edited by Typhoon859 - 6/11/12 at 2:47am
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

Right, well... Obviously time is needed to process what you're hearing. Many people just look for a "wow" factor which is why there are so many bass enthusiasts. In general, that's most people's expectations at first. They expect to experience their roof blown off like at a Rock concert (if they've ever been to one).
Break-in for headphones or speakers does seem to be controversial in terms of results but it's not opinion. Any expert and engineer almost always recommend it unless its already been done - the designers of the products themselves. For the most part, what they create isn't an accident, nor is what they hear or test. At the very least, after time, in this case, that the headphones are exposed to sound, the sound changes. Call it whatever you like, but the preference in this change would be for it to be skewed in the best direction since it permanently shapes the sound you'll be getting. And regardless, before doing any true listening, you would probably want the sound not to change as prominently as it does in the start which is why I would want to suggest breaking them in. The how of the matter is opinion on which I don't have because I've never done any exclusive tests. I was hoping for suggestions but I'm guessing you guys feel like its something you still didn't buy into.
IMO, I think the headphones need to be broken in although how in my own words I can't really fully back up. It'd just be what I'd done, not knowing its validity over something else. I just played as much varied music as possible which I had my entire collection of run through a form of manual replay gain adjustments prior. I was therefore able to set an average volume level slightly above listening preference and that was that. Hours upon hours (50+)... There are also methods using white noise, pink noise, and/or sweep tones.

 

 

 

well, "wow" factor is not impossible to achieve, i achieved that when i first got my ultimate ears trifi10. it still sounds good to me but its sitting in the drawer now because of comfort issues but i have no problem with it in the sound department.

post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon859 View Post

Right, well... Obviously time is needed to process what you're hearing. Many people just look for a "wow" factor which is why there are so many bass enthusiasts. In general, that's most people's expectations at first. They expect to experience their roof blown off like at a Rock concert (if they've ever been to one).
Break-in for headphones or speakers does seem to be controversial in terms of results but it's not opinion. Any expert and engineer almost always recommend it unless its already been done - the designers of the products themselves. For the most part, what they create isn't an accident, nor is what they hear or test. At the very least, after time, in this case, that the headphones are exposed to sound, the sound changes. Call it whatever you like, but the preference in this change would be for it to be skewed in the best direction since it permanently shapes the sound you'll be getting. And regardless, before doing any true listening, you would probably want the sound not to change as prominently as it does in the start which is why I would want to suggest breaking them in. The how of the matter is opinion on which I don't have because I've never done any exclusive tests. I was hoping for suggestions but I'm guessing you guys feel like its something you still didn't buy into.
IMO, I think the headphones need to be broken in although how in my own words I can't really fully back up. It'd just be what I'd done, not knowing its validity over something else. I just played as much varied music as possible which I had my entire collection of run through a form of manual replay gain adjustments prior. I was therefore able to set an average volume level slightly above listening preference and that was that. Hours upon hours (50+)... There are also methods using white noise, pink noise, and/or sweep tones.

 

You may find this article about break-in very interesting - it's extremely well presented and researched.  It's also based on measurements.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

 

If you get time to read the whole thing, it's quite enlightening.  Tyll did a batch of tests that basically came up inconclusive.  There may be a small physical change going on - but you'd get more sonic change from the condition of pads, or the slight movement of the cans on your head.  And these are a member of the AKG family that some claim need major burn-in.

 

FWIW I did notice change over time with my DT880s.  But I also know that it's most likely just my brain slowly getting used to them.  Same with my 325is.  When I first got them, they seemed really bright.  They still do in the first 3-4 minutes putting them on.  But after 5 minutes or so my brain adjusts and the brightness fades to a nice comfort level.

 

My advice is to forget about break-in.  Break your cans in naturally - by listening to them.  If they change over time, I'd say it's more likely to be your own wonderful internal processor burning in - rather than the physical transducer your wearing.

post #45 of 69

Oops - sorry - just realised I posted the first trials Tyll did - in 2011.

 

Here's the later article I was supposed to post ........ http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break    from Jan 2012.

 

Anyway - both of them are a good read.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
  • My ears have grown out of onboard sound and Apple earbuds. I'm looking for the optimal price/performance option for headphones and a DAC/sound card/headphone amp for under $300.
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › My ears have grown out of onboard sound and Apple earbuds. I'm looking for the optimal price/performance option for headphones and a DAC/sound card/headphone amp for under $300.