I am a real newbie who has purchased an audioengine D1 to enhance the listening experience using my laptop. I have also purchase dGrado SR80i and ATH M50 headphones. I have really enjoy the contrast between the open and closed back sounds as I rediscover my CD collection - downloaded using Lossless to my ITunes. My collection is mostly acoustic, classical and jazz; however, I a wide variety of music. I'd like to get some passive bookshelf speakers to use with my computer. Will the amp function of the D1 "drive" the speakers (P4s or Sony or Daytons?) or will I need a dedicated amp? If I do need an amp can I run my D1 through the amp to the speakers to use the external DAC in the D1? I know this is a incredibly elementary question but I am really ignorant in this arena. Any thoughts or advise will be much appreciated.
Related Forum Threads
- La Figaro 332 Last post on 9/19/12 at 4:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need DAC/Amp for HD650 + HE-500 Last post on 12/2/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New guy hearing music 1st time all over again Last post on 8/23/12 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
These are my first ever Grado's and I LOVE them, too bad I have to send them out to the next guy. I was always fascinated by Grado's ever since I saw Auggie's RS2's on Covert Affairs. I just...
The ud110 was recommended in a few different serious threads in the audio community, and I was intrigued to say the least, myself looking for more affordable options with out sacrificing too...
I feel obligated to share out-of-the-gate that I am no CIEM expert! As a matter of fact, I don't even particularly enjoy IEMs - I love over-ear or on-ear headphones. That said: Experiencing JH...
Like many others on this site, these phones are my stepping stone into the realm of "hi-fi"-headphones. These are indeed a good pair of phones for beginners and old-timers alike, because of their...
Audiofly has made the most comfortable IEMs that I've placed in my ears. They are probably the easiest to insert as well. I was ready to plunk down the cash and go the custom route, but these have...
Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 86/6/12 at 2:39am
The D1 has a headphone amp section and for passive speakers you need a stereo amp at the very least Yes feeding "analog output" from the D1 to a stereo amp means DAC duties are handled by the D1. In short source-->D1 (optical or usb input) ----> Amp (D1 analog out to amp analog in) --> speakers. As for amps options i would say for nearfield/PC Audio you'd be looking at T-Amps but dun disregard blast from the past vintage/classic amps if you can find em cheap in the used market
Edited by trog - 6/6/12 at 2:43ampost #3 of 86/6/12 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #4 of 86/7/12 at 3:03ampost #5 of 86/9/12 at 3:28pm
I liked the Audioengine D1 DAC so much that I placed an order for the Audioengine N22 desktop amplifier.
I am very happy that I did.post #6 of 86/10/12 at 5:45amThread Starter
Thanks. I have looked at the N22 and the P4 speakers. Presently I have ordered a $30.00 T amp and some inexpensive speakers. I want to experiment with hook up, placement , etc before I invest in better speakers and a more powerful amp. I really like my D1 with headphones so I am predisposed to get the N22 when I upgrade. Thanks again.post #7 of 87/11/12 at 1:40pm
I am using the D1 with my Objective 2. I know your thinking that has no RCA in and your right. I am using your standard mini to mini interconnect and let me tell you, going FLAC on my iMac to the D1 to the O2 and then finally to my Senn HD580 is as good as i have eve heard ;)
- Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 19, 2014, DoubleTree San... 8 seconds ago
- › What soundcard for 3d gaming through vmoda m100? 43 seconds ago
- › Brainwavz Delta IEM's: new low cost champs! 1 minute ago
- › Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 3 minutes ago
- › Denon D5000 with Martin Audio Coco Rosewood Extra Deep Cups +... 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonic ASG-2 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA800 Current Mode amp 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Prestige Series SR60e Headphones by Nada190
- › Stoner Acoustics UD110 V2 by WhiskeyJacks
- › Jerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Custom IEM by mikemercer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by Im2spec1al
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)