I am a real newbie who has purchased an audioengine D1 to enhance the listening experience using my laptop. I have also purchase dGrado SR80i and ATH M50 headphones. I have really enjoy the contrast between the open and closed back sounds as I rediscover my CD collection - downloaded using Lossless to my ITunes. My collection is mostly acoustic, classical and jazz; however, I a wide variety of music. I'd like to get some passive bookshelf speakers to use with my computer. Will the amp function of the D1 "drive" the speakers (P4s or Sony or Daytons?) or will I need a dedicated amp? If I do need an amp can I run my D1 through the amp to the speakers to use the external DAC in the D1? I know this is a incredibly elementary question but I am really ignorant in this arena. Any thoughts or advise will be much appreciated.
Related Forum Threads
- La Figaro 332 Last post on 9/19/12 at 4:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need DAC/Amp for HD650 + HE-500 Last post on 12/2/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New guy hearing music 1st time all over again Last post on 8/23/12 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 86/6/12 at 2:39am
The D1 has a headphone amp section and for passive speakers you need a stereo amp at the very least Yes feeding "analog output" from the D1 to a stereo amp means DAC duties are handled by the D1. In short source-->D1 (optical or usb input) ----> Amp (D1 analog out to amp analog in) --> speakers. As for amps options i would say for nearfield/PC Audio you'd be looking at T-Amps but dun disregard blast from the past vintage/classic amps if you can find em cheap in the used market
Edited by trog - 6/6/12 at 2:43ampost #3 of 86/6/12 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #4 of 86/7/12 at 3:03ampost #5 of 86/9/12 at 3:28pm
Audioengine N22 desktop amplifier.
Update: Unless you are using unpowered speakers, would go for Modi dac with Project Ember instead. Ember has variable level pre out to drive powered speakers. Modi dac is great, if you can get by without optical.
Edited by fortunate son - 12/8/14 at 2:04pmpost #6 of 86/10/12 at 5:45amThread Starter
Thanks. I have looked at the N22 and the P4 speakers. Presently I have ordered a $30.00 T amp and some inexpensive speakers. I want to experiment with hook up, placement , etc before I invest in better speakers and a more powerful amp. I really like my D1 with headphones so I am predisposed to get the N22 when I upgrade. Thanks again.post #7 of 87/11/12 at 1:40pm
I am using the D1 with my Objective 2. I know your thinking that has no RCA in and your right. I am using your standard mini to mini interconnect and let me tell you, going FLAC on my iMac to the D1 to the O2 and then finally to my Senn HD580 is as good as i have eve heard ;)
- Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 12 seconds ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 35 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 2 minutes ago
- › Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp 2 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 4 minutes ago
- › AKG's new K872? 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear