I am a real newbie who has purchased an audioengine D1 to enhance the listening experience using my laptop. I have also purchase dGrado SR80i and ATH M50 headphones. I have really enjoy the contrast between the open and closed back sounds as I rediscover my CD collection - downloaded using Lossless to my ITunes. My collection is mostly acoustic, classical and jazz; however, I a wide variety of music. I'd like to get some passive bookshelf speakers to use with my computer. Will the amp function of the D1 "drive" the speakers (P4s or Sony or Daytons?) or will I need a dedicated amp? If I do need an amp can I run my D1 through the amp to the speakers to use the external DAC in the D1? I know this is a incredibly elementary question but I am really ignorant in this arena. Any thoughts or advise will be much appreciated.
Related Forum Threads
- La Figaro 332 Last post on 9/19/12 at 4:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need DAC/Amp for HD650 + HE-500 Last post on 12/2/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New guy hearing music 1st time all over again Last post on 8/23/12 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
I dont want to waste my time writing an essay for something that lasted only 1 or 2 months. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnJ9zrnhGU My Rant and broken Shures in link above The bass...
Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 86/6/12 at 2:39am
The D1 has a headphone amp section and for passive speakers you need a stereo amp at the very least Yes feeding "analog output" from the D1 to a stereo amp means DAC duties are handled by the D1. In short source-->D1 (optical or usb input) ----> Amp (D1 analog out to amp analog in) --> speakers. As for amps options i would say for nearfield/PC Audio you'd be looking at T-Amps but dun disregard blast from the past vintage/classic amps if you can find em cheap in the used market
Edited by trog - 6/6/12 at 2:43ampost #3 of 86/6/12 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #4 of 86/7/12 at 3:03ampost #5 of 86/9/12 at 3:28pm
Audioengine N22 desktop amplifier.
Update: Unless you are using unpowered speakers, would go for Modi dac with Project Ember instead. Ember has variable level pre out to drive powered speakers. Modi dac is great, if you can get by without optical.
Edited by fortunate son - 12/8/14 at 2:04pmpost #6 of 86/10/12 at 5:45amThread Starter
Thanks. I have looked at the N22 and the P4 speakers. Presently I have ordered a $30.00 T amp and some inexpensive speakers. I want to experiment with hook up, placement , etc before I invest in better speakers and a more powerful amp. I really like my D1 with headphones so I am predisposed to get the N22 when I upgrade. Thanks again.post #7 of 87/11/12 at 1:40pm
I am using the D1 with my Objective 2. I know your thinking that has no RCA in and your right. I am using your standard mini to mini interconnect and let me tell you, going FLAC on my iMac to the D1 to the O2 and then finally to my Senn HD580 is as good as i have eve heard ;)
- Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
- Headphone Impedance
- › ADEL™ Drum Earbuds 20 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › SchiitShow 2: This Changes Everything 1 minute ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 2 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 4 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 5 minutes ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 7 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by k4rstar
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...