I am a real newbie who has purchased an audioengine D1 to enhance the listening experience using my laptop. I have also purchase dGrado SR80i and ATH M50 headphones. I have really enjoy the contrast between the open and closed back sounds as I rediscover my CD collection - downloaded using Lossless to my ITunes. My collection is mostly acoustic, classical and jazz; however, I a wide variety of music. I'd like to get some passive bookshelf speakers to use with my computer. Will the amp function of the D1 "drive" the speakers (P4s or Sony or Daytons?) or will I need a dedicated amp? If I do need an amp can I run my D1 through the amp to the speakers to use the external DAC in the D1? I know this is a incredibly elementary question but I am really ignorant in this arena. Any thoughts or advise will be much appreciated.
Related Forum Threads
- La Figaro 332 Last post on 9/19/12 at 4:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need DAC/Amp for HD650 + HE-500 Last post on 12/2/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New guy hearing music 1st time all over again Last post on 8/23/12 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
To actually be able to wear the G430, I have to actually place the entire right earcup behind my right ear, so I might as well be using a mono headset, it's very uncomfortable to wear normally. Mic...
To put it bluntly, I'm never buying another Logitech headset ever again. Logitech is well aware of the issues that these headsets have, and still continue to produce defective merchandise/software....
Sound Quality Since I do not have another speaker tap to compare I'm not sure how to tackle this as SQ will be highly dependent on whatever amp you pair it with. No noise attributable to...
Introduction: The Aune X1S is a product that has piqued my interest since its release. After getting the chance to hear the B1 amp, Aune was a company I kept my eyes out for. This X1S...
The Introduction Well, lovely citizens of head-fi, I am finally ready to bring you the review of the new T50RP mod by ZMF Headphones, known as the ZMF Omni. It is a semi-open headphone that...
Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 86/6/12 at 2:39am
The D1 has a headphone amp section and for passive speakers you need a stereo amp at the very least Yes feeding "analog output" from the D1 to a stereo amp means DAC duties are handled by the D1. In short source-->D1 (optical or usb input) ----> Amp (D1 analog out to amp analog in) --> speakers. As for amps options i would say for nearfield/PC Audio you'd be looking at T-Amps but dun disregard blast from the past vintage/classic amps if you can find em cheap in the used market
Edited by trog - 6/6/12 at 2:43ampost #3 of 86/6/12 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #4 of 86/7/12 at 3:03ampost #5 of 86/9/12 at 3:28pm
Audioengine N22 desktop amplifier.
Update: Unless you are using unpowered speakers, would go for Modi dac with Project Ember instead. Ember has variable level pre out to drive powered speakers. Modi dac is great, if you can get by without optical.
Edited by fortunate son - 12/8/14 at 2:04pmpost #6 of 86/10/12 at 5:45amThread Starter
Thanks. I have looked at the N22 and the P4 speakers. Presently I have ordered a $30.00 T amp and some inexpensive speakers. I want to experiment with hook up, placement , etc before I invest in better speakers and a more powerful amp. I really like my D1 with headphones so I am predisposed to get the N22 when I upgrade. Thanks again.post #7 of 87/11/12 at 1:40pm
I am using the D1 with my Objective 2. I know your thinking that has no RCA in and your right. I am using your standard mini to mini interconnect and let me tell you, going FLAC on my iMac to the D1 to the O2 and then finally to my Senn HD580 is as good as i have eve heard ;)
- Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
- Headphone Impedance
- › Did I screw up? First open-back purchase - AKG K702 65th Annie 1 minute ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 1 minute ago
- › Ibasso DX80 4 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio - An overlooked brand of nice IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › MyST 1866 Bluetooth, Optical, Coaxial, USB DAC/headphone amp... 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › G430 Gaming Headset by themastercheif
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by themastercheif
- › Rolls PM57 Headphone Tap by BeatsWork
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier by Cotnijoe
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by PacoTaco
- › Noontec Wireless Headphones ZORO II Wireless Hi-Fi Bluetooth On-Ear... by twister6
- › RHA T20 by RedTwilight
- › Brainwavz S3 by thatBeatsguy
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by suman134
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by nmatheis
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2