I am a real newbie who has purchased an audioengine D1 to enhance the listening experience using my laptop. I have also purchase dGrado SR80i and ATH M50 headphones. I have really enjoy the contrast between the open and closed back sounds as I rediscover my CD collection - downloaded using Lossless to my ITunes. My collection is mostly acoustic, classical and jazz; however, I a wide variety of music. I'd like to get some passive bookshelf speakers to use with my computer. Will the amp function of the D1 "drive" the speakers (P4s or Sony or Daytons?) or will I need a dedicated amp? If I do need an amp can I run my D1 through the amp to the speakers to use the external DAC in the D1? I know this is a incredibly elementary question but I am really ignorant in this arena. Any thoughts or advise will be much appreciated.
Related Forum Threads
- La Figaro 332 Last post on 9/19/12 at 4:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Need DAC/Amp for HD650 + HE-500 Last post on 12/2/12 at 7:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New guy hearing music 1st time all over again Last post on 8/23/12 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
The ATH-CK9’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. Built and accessories: The ATH-CKR9 is a dual dynamic IEM featuring two 13mm drivers. The drivers are...
I use these IEM's at work and during travel, it's very easy to transport with the small metal case. It was difficult to achieve the good isolation, i tried 10+ pair of silicon cushions and i...
Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 86/6/12 at 2:39am
The D1 has a headphone amp section and for passive speakers you need a stereo amp at the very least Yes feeding "analog output" from the D1 to a stereo amp means DAC duties are handled by the D1. In short source-->D1 (optical or usb input) ----> Amp (D1 analog out to amp analog in) --> speakers. As for amps options i would say for nearfield/PC Audio you'd be looking at T-Amps but dun disregard blast from the past vintage/classic amps if you can find em cheap in the used market
Edited by trog - 6/6/12 at 2:43ampost #3 of 86/6/12 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #4 of 86/7/12 at 3:03ampost #5 of 86/9/12 at 3:28pm
Audioengine N22 desktop amplifier.
Update: Unless you are using unpowered speakers, would go for Modi dac with Project Ember instead. Ember has variable level pre out to drive powered speakers. Modi dac is great, if you can get by without optical.
Edited by fortunate son - 12/8/14 at 2:04pmpost #6 of 86/10/12 at 5:45amThread Starter
Thanks. I have looked at the N22 and the P4 speakers. Presently I have ordered a $30.00 T amp and some inexpensive speakers. I want to experiment with hook up, placement , etc before I invest in better speakers and a more powerful amp. I really like my D1 with headphones so I am predisposed to get the N22 when I upgrade. Thanks again.post #7 of 87/11/12 at 1:40pm
I am using the D1 with my Objective 2. I know your thinking that has no RCA in and your right. I am using your standard mini to mini interconnect and let me tell you, going FLAC on my iMac to the D1 to the O2 and then finally to my Senn HD580 is as good as i have eve heard ;)
- Best Desktop Amp to pair with my Audioengine D1?
- Headphone Impedance
- › "The Lab" 56 seconds ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › Open Back, upgrade from IFIMAN HE400 2 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Kid Cudi 5 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › SRH 940 vs DT770 vs MDR1A vs M70X vs Crossfade M100 vs Momentums 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones by Chiek
- › Noble Audio Savant by WCDchee
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2