Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 34

post #496 of 2542

Yes, thank you for the pictures.  beerchug.gif


Edited by Eee Pee - 1/18/13 at 4:02pm
post #497 of 2542

I appreciate your thanks beerchug.gif. It is approx at least one hour per stylus work, as getting the thing in position and focus is not easy. I have selected the best shots among many. Should a "real dirty, neglected and totally in vinyl embedded stylus" again come my way ( ebay or other sources ), I will post "before" and "after" Glasrubber cleaning pics. IF and WHEN, usually comes with an odd (ab)used turntable, of which I have no intention to buy anymore any time soon.

 

A version of Glasrubber is in Europe sold by Conrad. Should anyone have the Order No. for it, it would be appreciated, as it is perhaps the easiest way to get this device that almost became extinct due to the fact almost all technical drawing is now on computers and very few need it for its originally intended purpose.

 

As it makes no sense to "invent hot water all over again" and write my own version of it, here a good  GREAT link regarding stylus tip profiles:

 

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22894

 

It is about as condensed and accurate info on the subject as possible.

post #498 of 2542

Very awesome link!

post #499 of 2542

I guess I'll ask here...Does anyone have experience with Avid phono stages? I'm considering the 2 box Pellere when the tax returns come in.

post #500 of 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

I guess I'll ask here...Does anyone have experience with Avid phono stages? I'm considering the 2 box Pellere when the tax returns come in.

 

No, but I've tried out various Moon, Pro-Ject, Edwards Audio and Trigon Audio phono pre-amps of various price points.

The ugly truth is that they don't sound radically different, but for more money you get a more open, effortless sound.

They all killed my vintage 1985 Counterpoint SA-5.1 vacuum tube pre-amp.

I bought the Moon 30LP.

post #501 of 2542

The 310LP with 320 PSU is on my list for sure. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

No, but I've tried out various Moon, Pro-Ject, Edwards Audio and Trigon Audio phono pre-amps of various price points.

The ugly truth is that they don't sound radically different, but for more money you get a more open, effortless sound.

They all killed my vintage 1985 Counterpoint SA-5.1 vacuum tube pre-amp.

I bought the Moon 30LP.

post #502 of 2542

My search brought me here.  I have no idea what I need to get into Vinyl but I would like to on a very low budget.   I dont need a turntable, my dad has one just sitting at his house. I am going to steal it. 

 

What else do I need and can i get some budget options?

 

I currently have a Lyr if that helps anything at all.  

 

I am completely guessing but I think I'll need a new cartridge and I think a "phono stage" (which is different than a pre amp?) which can be used with the lyr?  as you can see, i have zero experience in this area of audioland.

 

I was looking at Pyle stuff on Amazon but I dont even know which I would need.  I am not looking for highest fi.  I want good for my money fi.  any help would be greatly appreciated!

post #503 of 2542
Thread Starter 
Did you read post #2? That will answer most of the questions you just asked wink.gif
post #504 of 2542

doh, sorry.  I'll read it now. thanks!

Edit: after reading the entire thread, i think i am going to regret opening this can of worms!
Edited by caracara08 - 1/19/13 at 11:28pm
post #505 of 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

The 310LP with 320 PSU is on my list for sure. 

 

 

One thing I like about the 310LP is that I can get the 320S when funds allow.

 

You have to be careful when auditioning the 310LP, for some bizarre reason, it takes a few days to break in and a few days to warm up if it has been off for a while. 

Technically this makes no sense.

post #506 of 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 it takes a few days to break in and a few days to warm up if it has been off for a while. 

Technically this makes no sense.

Like every other solid state circuit I've ever had... weird, but it is what it is.  

 

I always figured it simply takes that long for those things to come up to proper operating temperature.

 

Silly little silicon things.

post #507 of 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

One thing I like about the 310LP is that I can get the 320S when funds allow.

 

You have to be careful when auditioning the 310LP, for some bizarre reason, it takes a few days to break in and a few days to warm up if it has been off for a while. 

Technically this makes no sense.

It does. If any piece of audio gear behaves like described, this is a sure sign there is at least one capacitor that is of unsufficient quality. It is normal in vintage gear, when it may take well over week before it comes to its senses, and fall down in quality again if you switch it off for say a few hours.

 

Some manufacturers leave their preamps always on because of these reasons, as long as they are plugged into the wall socket. Extreme case was a vintage Mark Levinson preamp in SIX boxes; phono, line, PSU, mono blocks = 6 boxes. How many switches & knobs on those 6 boxes ?

 

Four. Input Selector and Volume control, times two for dual mono = 4. NO ON OFF anywhere to be found.

 

My AGI 511 is the same in this regard. Its on/off switch controls the back panel AC outlets and front pilot lamp - the preamp itself is always on. It is ever ready - since late 70s, and is still one of THE phono preamps; by far the fastest, with the most precise RIAA ever in a commercially available unit,

bettering most by order(s) of magnitude. Did stupid thing once and sold my original unit; the one I have now you'll have to pry off my hands...

post #508 of 2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

Like every other solid state circuit I've ever had... weird, but it is what it is.  

 

I always figured it simply takes that long for those things to come up to proper operating temperature.

 

Silly little silicon things.

 

It takes approx. 1/2 an hour for them silly little things to warm up.

 

I have never seen any technical explanation for this long warm up time that makes any sense..............

Capacitor forming sounds a bit like BS too.

 

But I do hear what I hear................strange.confused_face_2.gif

post #509 of 2542

Maybe it takes our brain that long to say, "Okay, I can accept this... finally."

 

 

 biggrin.gif

post #510 of 2542

I like the idea of the 310LP buying the pieces separately and it's one of my dealer's favorite stages. It'd allow me to get a new table much sooner and then get the PSU after that. 

 

How would you describe the sound of the 310LP? I've heard good and bad things and even if it's a bit too analytical it'll pair well in my speaker system because of the Leben and Harbeths being so 'romantic'.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!