Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 31

post #451 of 2750

Do you mean 'So' ? If so, it's one of my favorite albums ever.

 

You're seriously going to get addicted to buying records. I spent all day yesterday (my birthday) cataloging my records for insurance purposes. So brutal. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

Well, I may not have decided on which TT and pre-amp to get - but I did purchase the first records of my life.

 

1. I ordered the Airborne Toxic Event boxed set (All three albums they currently have)

 

2. Found a Peter Gabriel LP "Go" at a local record shop that I was checking out. $5 bucks

 

 

I'll be turning 35 in a month...I seem to be doing a lot of things in reverse order. atsmile.gif

post #452 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Do you mean 'So' ? If so, it's one of my favorite albums ever.

 

You're seriously going to get addicted to buying records. I spent all day yesterday (my birthday) cataloging my records for insurance purposes. So brutal. 

 


Typo - yes "So"

 

I just spotted it and liked the set list. Glad to know I snagged a good one.

 

Really felt like a newb in the shop - then I realized: "It's just music man!" So I bough the first record that caught my eye.

 

I'm going to save records for the few bands that I think are really good, or that really showcase the vinyl.

 

...spotted a Norah Jones record (Come away with me) that I might be ordering today.

post #453 of 2750

So, I have my short list for my first TT to this:

 

Music Hall MMF 2.2

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Rega RP1

 

They are all about the same cost, seem almost identical in features and design.

 

 

I hear more "get the Rega" but the jury is still out.

post #454 of 2750
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkylabView Post

 

I DO use Last Record Preservative. I think it makes the records seem quieter, although it's pretty subjective/subtle..

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

Yes. LAST record cleaner and LAST Record Preservative.

 

I have even measurements "before" and "after" of one of the Bruel & Kjaer test records used during their demo back in 80s.

Not a single digit measurement, but spectrum analyzer plot. The Bruel & Kjaer guys were extremely sceptic about use of anything on their ( very expensive ) records, yet their own spectrum analyzer showed on average of about 6 dB of improvement in distortion across the audible band. Less than the LAST literature/brochure was promising, but 6 dB is still an enourmous and instantly audible improvement. Will try to unearth that spectrum analyzer plot from my archives and have it scanned by a friend.

 

LAST Record Preservative is much more than just cleaning. It actually chemically improves the vinyl surface - it is here where the improvement comes from.

 

Thanks for the replies.

Subjectively this agrees with what my brother and I have heard:

 - a little less noise and less distortion (to us it sounded like less distortion in the treble).

Nice to hear that the reduction in distortion is backed up by independent testing.

post #455 of 2750

Get Come Away With Me. It's her best album, IMO...and it's recorded soooo well. The one to get is the Analogue Productions 200g Come Away With Me, but good luck finding that one.

 

The Blue Note release is still good (I have one on the way, too). It's the album I own on the most formats. HD Tracks, LP, CD, SACD. 

 

'So' is just a brilliant record. The first few tracks will absolutely blow you away, and Sledghammer's bass is one of my test tracks for new systems. 

 

If you want to buy some good stuff check out TTVJ's sale right now. If there's something you like there Todd only sells good stuff.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post


Typo - yes "So"

 

I just spotted it and liked the set list. Glad to know I snagged a good one.

 

Really felt like a newb in the shop - then I realized: "It's just music man!" So I bough the first record that caught my eye.

 

I'm going to save records for the few bands that I think are really good, or that really showcase the vinyl.

 

...spotted a Norah Jones record (Come away with me) that I might be ordering today.

post #456 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Graham View Post

Well after some more reading etc...

I think the RB300 will be the arm for me and Its in budget as long as I hunt the web.

I will also pop into my local hi fi shop and see if they can order one in.

I might keep an eye on the second hand shops too.

only last month they had a linn model in, the deck looked a shambles but the tonearm looked solid.

As for carts - I think Im going to invest in the 2m first and see how I like the sound of it.

Im also toying with the idea of a Grado cart.

 

Apart from that I'll try different platters and mats etc until I get the sound thats right for me.

 

I haven't read every post in this lengthy thread however I will add a few comments.

 

If you are looking to buy RB300 second-hand then I recommend checking out eBay in the UK. Rega turntables and arms come up there all the time and they are often very cheap because these turntables are so common in the UK.

 

You will find that the RB250 is just as good as the RB300, I don't think anyone could tell the difference between them.

 

Rega arms have been the subject of modifications for many years. The most common being recabling. If I were buying a second-hand Rega arm I would avoid the modified arms because the modifier may have damaged the arm while modifying it, and in any case none of these alternative cables improves the sound quality of the arm. The standard cable with the Rega arms looks rather cheap and is microphonic, but it is absolutely fine at its job and does not need replacing.

 

Goldring make a cartridge which works really superbly with the Rega arm. It is a medium compliance moving magnet cartridge and comes in four variants. The difference between each variant is simply the stylus.

 

You will see them down at the bottom of this web page at the Goldring website. The model numbers are:

 

1006

1012 GX

1022 GX

1042

 

You can buy the cheapest, the 1006 and then upgrade to the 1042 at a later stage simply by changing the stylus.

 

These cartridges really do produce great reproduction, they are very lively and they go so well with the Rega arms because the Rega arms have only one real flaw in that they can be just a little bit lacking in zest.


Edited by p a t r i c k - 1/15/13 at 11:10am
post #457 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

 

Thanks for the replies.

Subjectively this agrees with what my brother and I have heard:

 - a little less noise and less distortion (to us it sounded like less distortion in the treble).

Nice to hear that the reduction in distortion is backed up by independent testing.

Will dig that spectrum analyzer plot out and post it here. 

 

They often call me Speedo but my real name is Mr. Slow wink_face.gif.

post #458 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

So, I have my short list for my first TT to this:

 

Music Hall MMF 2.2

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Rega RP1

 

They are all about the same cost, seem almost identical in features and design.

 

 

I hear more "get the Rega" but the jury is still out.

 

One more "get the Rega" here. I haven't heard the Music Hall, but I have heard both the Pro-Ject and the RP1. The RP1 is better by far. Blacker background (no motor vibration, unlike the Debut), better tonearm, and just a more lively and dynamic sound overall. The metal platter on the Pro-ject won't work with moving coil cartridges either.

 

Edit: FWIW, the MMF 2.2 uses the same tonearm as the Pro-ject.


Edited by calipilot227 - 1/15/13 at 1:29pm
post #459 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post

 

One more "get the Rega" here. I haven't heard the Music Hall, but I have heard both the Pro-Ject and the RP1. The RP1 is better by far. Blacker background (no motor vibration, unlike the Debut), better tonearm, and just a more lively and dynamic sound overall. The metal platter on the Pro-ject won't work with moving coil cartridges either.


Thanks.

 

I'm starting to lean towards the Rega or the Music Hall.

post #460 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

 

 

They often call me Speedo but my real name is Mr. Slow wink_face.gif.

 

I like Ry Cooder's version of that song!

(on vinyl, of course!)

post #461 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post


Thanks.

I'm starting to lean towards the Rega or the Music Hall.

I'd go Rega myself. I think the Carbon is a good value because of the cart , but the Rega is a better table overall.
post #462 of 2750

Yes, the 2M series is nothing short of remarkable at their respective price points.

post #463 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

I like Ry Cooder's version of that song!

(on vinyl, of course!)

That's where I "borrowed" my line ! ( on vinyl, of course )

post #464 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

That's where I "borrowed" my line ! ( on vinyl, of course )

and now you owe him royalties!
post #465 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

So, I have my short list for my first TT to this:

 

Music Hall MMF 2.2

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Rega RP1

 

They are all about the same cost, seem almost identical in features and design.

 

 

I hear more "get the Rega" but the jury is still out.

 

Full disclosure - I haven't heard the MH or Pro-Ject tables. After doing a bunch of research on "entry level" tables in 2011, I decided on the Rega RP1 with the performance pack and really like it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!