Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 3

post #31 of 2701

Yep, another amplifier and all its pieces parts in the signal chain.  Like the one I linked to in post #14.

 

All of this, and then the phono stage, then the rest of the chain.

 

pha200_inner.gif

 

 

 

 

Seems silly.

post #32 of 2701

I don't get why they would call it a headamp...if it's already not confusing enough?

post #33 of 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

That may well be just the difference between the presentation between vinyl and digital.  Many people (me included) find the midrange of digital often to be too bright/forward/aggressive.  So you may well find vinyl's midrange presentation to be quite different.  Ultimately you have to decide whether you like it or not.

Very well said Skylab, on the  midrange of digital often being too bright/forward/aggressive! I hear from a properly set up Vinyl Rig that the Midrange sounds more "Natural" like you are listening to the musicians live... One other piece of equipment that guy's will have to buy when they get into the "Better" arms are the Din plug to RCA phono cable. There are many phono cables out there from a few bucks to the mega buck cables. They do make a difference (when matched to your phono pre-amp etc.) and this is were IMO you should ask to try before you buy. 

post #34 of 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post

I don't get why they would call it a headamp...if it's already not confusing enough?

 

Agreed. Step-up transformer, phono stage, phono head amp, phono enhancer, phono preamp, etc. blink.gif

post #35 of 2701
Thread Starter 
That kind of "headamp" really doesn't exist much anymore. Remember the Denon DL-103 has been in production a very, very long time...
post #36 of 2701
I think I can adjust to the presentation. It's more relaxing and not a bad thing. biggrin.gif. Maybe if a still had a good Grado headphone with their forward mid's it would balanced out. Could this be reasoning of the Grado signature voice for analog rigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

That may well be just the difference between the presentation between vinyl and digital.  Many people (me included) find the midrange of digital often to be too bright/forward/aggressive.  So you may well find vinyl's midrange presentation to be quite different.  Ultimately you have to decide whether you like it or not.
post #37 of 2701

Just bought a new TT. Longer description of it is in this thread if you want to look: http://www.head-fi.org/t/614900/kenwood-kd-3070-turntable-unknown-cart-head-included-worth-fixing-up

 

Is there anything I can get while it's shipping/in transit so I can set it up as soon as possible? Do I need special cables to hook it up? (Picture has two grey cables in back.)

Would it be acceptable to just go on Amazon and look for the cheapest phono pre-amp in the meantime? I have less than $75 to spare for one.

 

Thanks,

reaqter

post #38 of 2701

I assume the gray cables are RCA interconnects which would be used to feed a phono preamp.  You will also need a ground wire which can be any wire that connects the grounding post on the turntable with the post on the phono pre.

 

You should be able to pick up a used phone pre or cheap new one for under $100.  However, if you want to get more serious about vinyl you will want to replace it eventually.  Any chance one of your older integrated amps or receivers has a phono section?  If so, you could use just that as a phono pre and pass the signal through the tape out of the receiver.  Just a thought.

post #39 of 2701

Oh, I see. I hadn't considered a ground wire...

 

Are used phono pre-amps typically still good given a couple years or a decade?
 

Hmm, unfortunately no. Thanks for the thought though!

post #40 of 2701
Thread Starter 

A 10-20 year old phono preamp should indeed still work well.

post #41 of 2701

My guess is that a used, inexpensive used receiver with a phono section would actually be better than a cheap radio shack pre.

post #42 of 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaqter View Post

 

Would it be acceptable to just go on Amazon and look for the cheapest phono pre-amp in the meantime? I have less than $75 to spare for one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BG2R2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002PSLTIC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0F9F92SFWGKSVT8ZFPCP

 

Rolls/Bellari VP 29.  I've read decent things about them, but I personally wouldn't expect much once the rest of the equipment gets better.  Might be the same circuit as the bigger Bellari VP 130/129 without the added tube, I can't remember.

post #43 of 2701

Skylab, dminches, thanks for your input!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BG2R2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002PSLTIC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0F9F92SFWGKSVT8ZFPCP

 

Rolls/Bellari VP 29.  I've read decent things about them, but I personally wouldn't expect much once the rest of the equipment gets better.  Might be the same circuit as the bigger Bellari VP 130/129 without the added tube, I can't remember.

 

I'll probably look for this then. How does it compare to the TCC TC-750? Should I also consider the TC-760 in case one of my tables come with an MC cart?

post #44 of 2701

To be honest with you, I have no idea, but I imagine they sound pretty much the same.  They can only do so much with that low of a price point, and the components can't be too far different from each other.  Inexpensive wall wart power supply powers a standard RIAA EQ curve.  Cheap cases, cheap RCA plugs, resistors, capacitors and all that stuff in there.

 

I would consider your options depending on what your table comes with, yes.  Lots of researching, that's typically something a smart shopper would do.  biggrin.gif

post #45 of 2701

To amend my post there, I'm seeing a difference in the silkscreened RIAA curves between the silver case and black case version.

 

41sBXmgtvJL.jpg

 

41dNrinfWSL.jpg

 

That probably shouldn't be.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!