Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 173

post #2581 of 2591
Thanks for your insightful post, @analogsurviver.

For now i've decided it might be better for my wallet if i don't find out which versions i have. I believe my newest one might be a more early model, with the way it takes "steps".

Could also be my imagination, of course.
post #2582 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

Thanks for your insightful post, @analogsurviver.

For now i've decided it might be better for my wallet if i don't find out which versions i have. I believe my newest one might be a more early model, with the way it takes "steps".

Could also be my imagination, of course.

No problem.

 

These "steps" are clearly visible in frequency/channel separation graphs published in HiFi Choice reviews at the time - as the "sensitivity" of the cartridge is increased/decreased at the "step" - resulting in a graph that does not have a straight continuity, but resembles a telegraph wire on the poles; each "step" in servo control being equal to a real pole in telegraph :

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 95

 

 

 

The paper speed etc in Bruel & Kjaer printouts correspond to exactly the 1.8 seconds ( time for a revolution at 33 1/3 RPM ) intervals of the "steps" - and as it was a group test of Technics linear trackers, early models did not do as well as later ones ...

 

It is not the end of the world - but might be audible with a really well recorded acoustic music. 

 

As noted, later models were completely free from this problem. 

 

SL-7 is potentially the best of all Technics linear trackers ( and can hold its own against anything yet made to play records, regarle$$ of price ) - but by the time it is truly put to order, its purchase price becomes next to invisible.

So, your idea of leaving as it is - is not out of place - at all !

post #2583 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

No problem.

These "steps" are clearly visible in frequency/channel separation graphs published in HiFi Choice reviews at the time - as the "sensitivity" of the cartridge is increased/decreased at the "step" - resulting in a graph that does not have a straight continuity, but resembles a telegraph wire on the poles; each "step" in servo control being equal to a real pole in telegraph :

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 95




The paper speed etc in Bruel & Kjaer printouts correspond to exactly the 1.8 seconds ( time for a revolution at 33 1/3 RPM ) intervals of the "steps" - and as it was a group test of Technics linear trackers, early models did not do as well as later ones ...

It is not the end of the world - but might be audible with a really well recorded acoustic music. 

As noted, later models were completely free from this problem. 

SL-7 is potentially the best of all Technics linear trackers ( and can hold its own against anything yet made to play records, regarle$$ of price ) - but by the time it is truly put to order, its purchase price becomes next to invisible.
So, your idea of leaving as it is - is not out of place - at all !

So far i have discovered one problem with the mechanics and working of the SL-7: i can't play Jack White's new album. (Well, i could play half of it) but to me it's the perfect turntable otherwise. At least for now.
post #2584 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


So far i have discovered one problem with the mechanics and working of the SL-7: i can't play Jack White's new album. (Well, i could play half of it) but to me it's the perfect turntable otherwise. At least for now.

That is ONE record - out of all existing in the world ... (made possible by the advance in computers, for no particular reason but "show" & " because we can do it ".)

 

SL-7 has more gremlins lurking within than its fair share; but even as it is, it is a decent TT.

post #2585 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


So far i have discovered one problem with the mechanics and working of the SL-7: i can't play Jack White's new album. (Well, i could play half of it) but to me it's the perfect turntable otherwise. At least for now.

 

I respect what Jack was trying to do, but he honestly overcomplicated things. And the extra track under the label? Oh come on

post #2586 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post

I respect what Jack was trying to do, but he honestly overcomplicated things. And the extra track under the label? Oh come on

It's just to show what they're capable of at IIIrd man records. Say what you want but it's people like jack that bring vinyl back to the mainstream audience. This is good for us too.
post #2587 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post

I respect what Jack was trying to do, but he honestly overcomplicated things. And the extra track under the label? Oh come on

It's just to show what they're capable of at IIIrd man records. Say what you want but it's people like jack that bring vinyl back to the mainstream audience. This is good for us too.

+1

post #2588 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


It's just to show what they're capable of at IIIrd man records. Say what you want but it's people like jack that bring vinyl back to the mainstream audience. This is good for us too.

 

I never said it wasn't good.

post #2589 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post


It's just to show what they're capable of at IIIrd man records. Say what you want but it's people like jack that bring vinyl back to the mainstream audience. This is good for us too.

 

I never said it wasn't good.

No you din.

post #2590 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post

I never said it wasn't good.

I will never know :,(
post #2591 of 2591

Yes I did find out something is loose on the arm to base. Don't know yet what it is. Thanks for your help!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!