or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 155

post #2311 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

 

missed it, damn


http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Hall-MMF5-1-2-speed-Belt-Driven-Turntable-/331145579378?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item4d19d08b72

 

Still there.

post #2312 of 3520

 

Not anymore, lol

post #2313 of 3520

I'd like to nominate the U-Turn Audio Orbit as well.

 

also that before after pic was awesome and should be an inspiration to us all.:beerchug:

post #2314 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman1116 View Post
 

I'd like to nominate the U-Turn Audio Orbit as well.

 

also that before after pic was awesome and should be an inspiration to us all.:beerchug:

IIRC - did you order U-Turn Orbit - and did you get it ?

post #2315 of 3520

The tonearm looks awful on the U turn, like it was lifted off a crosley. For $100 more than the Orbit plus it would be a no-brainer to choose the debut carbon.

post #2316 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by barid View Post
 

Or what would be a good direct drive option under 1k if there are any? They seem to have a reputation as a solid workhorse, which appeals to me before I start fiddling with things.

 

Was kind of thinking something in that 1k or less price range to get started before I just jump into (what I consider) the deep end of multiple thousands of dollars gear. 

 

I came very close to buying an SL1200 a couple years back. I decided to audition some of the current production, entry-level belt drive tables (Pro-ject, Rega, Music Hall). I know many people will argue with me on this, but the Rega tables just sounded better. I know direct-drive may be technically superior on paper, but the SL1200 just sounded dead and lifeless compared to the Rega RP1.

 

With your budget, I would suggest looking into the RP3. Find a dealer near you and give it a listen. Also, the Ortofon 2M series pairs wonderfully with the Rega tonearms. I have a 2M Blue on my P2, and I couldn't be happier.

post #2317 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

The tonearm looks awful on the U turn, like it was lifted off a crosley. For $100 more than the Orbit plus it would be a no-brainer to choose the debut carbon.

Looks can be deceiving. As a matter of fact, the best part of the Orbit must be the unipivot arm - by FAR. 

post #2318 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post
 

With your budget, I would suggest looking into the RP3. Find a dealer near you and give it a listen. Also, the Ortofon 2M series pairs wonderfully with the Rega tonearms. I have a 2M Blue on my P2, and I couldn't be happier.

 

I have an RP3 with a Ortofon 2M Bronze, and I love it. I use it as my main source. The cartridge is the best upgrade I've made. If you can get a Rega without the Rega cart I highly recommend it. Save the money for an Ortofon 2M. Installing a new cartridge wasn't hard at all as long as you have an alignment tool and tweezers (for the cartridge leads). My 2M came with a scale and I'm using a MOFI GeoDisk for alignment.

post #2319 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

Looks can be deceiving. As a matter of fact, the best part of the Orbit must be the unipivot arm - by FAR. 


The Orbit review is live on Analog Planet, Mikey likes it.  (especially with a upgraded Shure M97xe )

post #2320 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

Looks can be deceiving. As a matter of fact, the best part of the Orbit must be the unipivot arm - by FAR. 

My thoughts exactly - the only interesting thing about the Orbit is that arm! Well, that and the domestic production (given the price).

post #2321 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosley01 View Post
 


The Orbit review is live on Analog Planet, Mikey likes it.  (especially with a upgraded Shure M97xe )

 

Speaking of which, if anybody is interested I have one with basically a brand new stylus. I'll sell it for $50 pre-mounted on an SME style universal headshell (aligned for a technics)

post #2322 of 3520

Technics 1200 MK2, a late model, bought barely used, I added a Denon 103R cart.  The TT weighs 26.7 pounds, very stable and built for DJ use, semi idiot proof for setup.  Has the feel and sound of a much more expensive TT.  I'm really enjoying this paired with my Fisher 100T for HP use.

post #2323 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

IIRC - did you order U-Turn Orbit - and did you get it ?

Yes! it took over a year... but I got it. Too bad I moved out and been working 10 hours days :( 
I wish audiophile dacs and amps had more inputs, outputs, pass through. Would make it so much more conveinient for headphones, speakers, tv, computer, turntable, etc. I mean, if have two, you're pretty lucky. Maybe I should start using my a/v receiver for everything, or maybe go vintage ^^

post #2324 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

Technics 1200 MK2, a late model, bought barely used, I added a Denon 103R cart.  The TT weighs 26.7 pounds, very stable and built for DJ use, semi idiot proof for setup.  Has the feel and sound of a much more expensive TT.  I'm really enjoying this paired with my Fisher 100T for HP use.

 

What's the difference between the 103 and 103R?

post #2325 of 3520

Okay, I finally decided that I was okay with not getting something absolutely epic and went with a Rega P3-24 with a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. Sounds pretty nice right now just running through my wa-22 if not a bit too quiet.  I still have to go through the calibration process though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!