or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 149

post #2221 of 3520

I have been very happy with the sound from my Clearaudio Nano phono stage, the adjustable gain is handy and good for fine tuning.  With its compact form and it is also very easy to tuck out of the way.

 

The Eastern Electric and Bottlehead tube phono stages have always had an appeal they seem to be well regarded for their price range.

post #2222 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcorob View Post

 

It is going to be for a MM (Moving magnet cart) then save a lot of money and get better sound with the ART DJ Pre II. It has been tested by many and beats these guys..for 1/3 the price. THIS IS EXACTLY what will pair with what you are doing.

 

That Art DJ Pre 2 looks like something fancy for dj's etc, not for home use. But Since I can find it for 40€ I'll look into it. Can't seem to find any raving reviews about it thought :(

I also found a used Music Hall pa1.2. Also something I can't find much reviews about online. :(

 

Thanks to all for the feedback btw!

post #2223 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoep View Post
 

 

That Art DJ Pre 2 looks like something fancy for dj's etc, not for home use. But Since I can find it for 40€ I'll look into it. Can't seem to find any raving reviews about it thought :(

I also found a used Music Hall pa1.2. Also something I can't find much reviews about online. :(

 

Thanks to all for the feedback btw!


Looks CAN be deceiving...over on another board we called it the $49 wonder...trashed many in side by side comparisons. It is extremely well made. The only complaint ? The light stays on all the time unless you unplug it...LOL

 

Here is a needle drop using a cheap turntable, AT440MLa cart and the ART DJ Pre II phono stage...you tell me how it sounds..takes a moment to load...listen through speakers if you can - Called needle drop long

 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D25B243EF6E53584!854&authkey=!AG0jzZEHPTZfjlg&ithint=file%2c.wav

 

Inside the ART


Edited by arcorob - 1/29/14 at 12:47pm
post #2224 of 3520

I wasn't looking vey good, found loads of reviews about it now. :s

my bad

post #2225 of 3520

That preamp has less distortion than the one I have, of course it's inaudible but still

post #2226 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

I was good right up to the Klipsch Heresy's.

 

I like Klipsch. But my ears were bleeding within minutes of listening to a pair of Heresy's. :eek: Cornwalls, RF7's, and La Scalas on the other hand are absolutely incredible.

post #2227 of 3520

question i just thought of. probably stupid.

 

so generally you are supposed to turntable - pre amp - amp - speakers. 

but what if you went turntable amp - pre amp - speakers. 

 

definitely stupid. 

 

doesnt have to be with a turntable ofcourse. and im too afraid to try!

 

THanks

post #2228 of 3520

I'm currently using a vintage Fisher preamp/tuner circa 1960 with 16 tubes (4 dedicated Telefunken)

 

 as my phono stage

A major upgrade from my previous preamp.

post #2229 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman1116 View Post
 

question i just thought of. probably stupid.

 

so generally you are supposed to turntable - pre amp - amp - speakers. 

but what if you went turntable amp - pre amp - speakers. 

 

definitely stupid. 

 

doesnt have to be with a turntable ofcourse. and im too afraid to try!

 

THanks


I smell smoke...

 

  • Turntable had low level output
  • Phono stage takes that and makes it LINE LEVEL (Like a CD or Cassette DEck)
  • Pre-amp (in the true sense, not a phono stage) is a unit to gather your inputs and send pre-amp signal (variable gain) out to AMP IN. Volume control on the pre-amp sets the gain signal sent to the amp.
  • Amp takes the signal and powers to your speakers
post #2230 of 3520
Is there a way to mount a normal cartridge in a P-mounted tonearm? Google gives me only the opposite result (p mount on top mount)
post #2231 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

Is there a way to mount a normal cartridge in a P-mounted tonearm? Google gives me only the opposite result (p mount on top mount)

Officially - no.

 

But if you are "gross and perverted, obsessed and deranged" ( quote from Frank Zappa's song I'm the slime http://www.metrolyrics.com/im-the-slime-lyrics-frank-zappa.html )

conditionally possible - PM me.

post #2232 of 3520

When not carefully selecting phono gear, adjusting say azimuth of the cartridge, hanging TTs from ceiling, etc, etc - what does analogsurviver do, when not on the bicycle ?

 

Please see post #1350 from http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever/1335#post_10251861

 

Enjoy and please feel free to comment, ANY comments welcome !

post #2233 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

When not carefully selecting phono gear, adjusting say azimuth of the cartridge, hanging TTs from ceiling, etc, etc - what does analogsurviver do, when not on the bicycle ?

 

Please see post #1350 from http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever/1335#post_10251861

 

Enjoy and please feel free to comment, ANY comments welcome !

0d 5h 50m 40s to go.

 

Best wishes for the performance.

post #2234 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

When not carefully selecting phono gear, adjusting say azimuth of the cartridge, hanging TTs from ceiling, etc, etc - what does analogsurviver do, when not on the bicycle ?

 

Please see post #1350 from http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever/1335#post_10251861

 

Enjoy and please feel free to comment, ANY comments welcome !

 

Thanks! Will check it out later today; going to bed after sunrise shortly. Currently in-session... want to check out :wink_face:that modified box someday, too! 

post #2235 of 3520

The live feed is great I am streaming it to bottlehead crack and listening with my T1's really nice.


Edited by JamieMcC - 2/9/14 at 12:42pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!