Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 132

post #1966 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post
 


I'm not risking my cantilever on a vibrator.

 

There is more than enough controversy surrounding Zerodust already....

These vibrators are no more dangerous than normal records - frequency of vibration is approximately 400 Hz and amplitude is about the same as + 18 dB track on HFN test record - and furthermore, the "surface" is not relatively hard vinyl, but carbon fibre bristles. In more than 20 years, not a single cantilever damage.

 

The only risk is perhaps with stone cantilevers ( sapphire, ruby, diamond ) - and only if the cartridge in question can not track amplitudes above 70 micrometers. The most notorious of these were old Dynavector Karat series, the models that pushed the cantilever lenght to above - or better said below - minimum lenght that still allowed for

tracking of high enough amplitudes and reasonable life expectancy. Original Karat series used 2.5 mm long cantilevers, Karat Nova 13D used ( as the name implies )

1.3 mm http://www.hifido.co.jp/KWdynavector+karat+nova/G1/E/0-50/C11-60830-14311-00/

long cantlever made of diamond (these were reportedly VERY prone to breaking the cantilever - normal music playback as well as vibrator cleaning ).

 

 

 

 

The optimum lenght was eventually found - in 1.7 mm diamond cantilever, as used in DV 17D cartridge, currently in its (MK)3 incarnation. These are "bussines as usual", no abnormally high cantilever failure rate reported - over decade at least.

 

The only thing one must be careful with vibrating cleaners is to lower the stylus on the surface with carbon fibre bristles and not the surrounding bristle mounting ring. And, of course, you have to perform this on stationary platter - if your turntable is a stubborn automatic machine and refuses to lower the arm if platter does not turn, you will have to at least unplug it from the mains - if not finding ways around its automatic action that will allow lowering the arm to the stationary platter. Please see my Sleeping Beauty posts for one of the most stubborn tables in this regard.


Edited by analogsurviver - 12/17/13 at 11:22pm
post #1967 of 2619

i use putty to clean my records, my stylus, and my turntable (my computer too)

great stuff, AFAIK it doesn't leave anything behind.

post #1968 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
 

i use putty to clean my records, my stylus, and my turntable (my computer too)

great stuff, AFAIK it doesn't leave anything behind.

It depends on which kind/brand of putty you are using.

 

Most tend to leave residue that is next to invisible - and next to impossible to remove.

post #1969 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

It depends on which kind/brand of putty you are using.

 

Most tend to leave residue that is next to invisible - and next to impossible to remove.

 

On the subject of leaving residue I have been considering trying the PVA glue method for record cleaning, mainly as I have gallons of it in my work shop.

 

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this method of cleaning records before going ahead and trying for myself.

post #1970 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

It depends on which kind/brand of putty you are using.

 

Most tend to leave residue that is next to invisible - and next to impossible to remove.


Isn't that the problem, the fear of imparting something to the stylus/record. Do you have any video of the vibrating stylus cleaners? I haven't used one, and you are right with regard to stress on the cantilever. Are these just carbon fibers that the stylus just lightly dips into? Like a vibrating forest of fibers, or does it actually sit on a vibrating surface?

 

I guess no one would design such a design that could cause crazy lateral excursion...

 

Weren't there criticisms of some liquid cleaners/brushes where hollow cantilevers could suck up the sauce and get ruined?

 

I used to own the Zerodust and thought it worked well. I have never personally examined a groove after putty/wood glue cleaning, or stylus after Zerodust application. What's your thoughts?

 

Also, any thoughts on the GEM Dandy cleaning system? I have owned a Nitty Gritty and didn't feel it was really doing much...things could sound cleaner. GEM interests me and then a distilled rinse. Combine it with some manual brushing? I'm getting back into vinyl after a time and not sure how to nail down my clean regimen this time round. Thanks!


Edited by doctorcilantro - 12/18/13 at 3:57am
post #1971 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

On the subject of leaving residue I have been considering trying the PVA glue method for record cleaning, mainly as I have gallons of it in my work shop.

 

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this method of cleaning records before going ahead and trying for myself.

Never tried it - but it could work, if you thin it down enough and add some surfactant detensioner to it, so that it actually gets to the bottm of the groove. 

 

But the DEVIL ALWAYS HIDES IN DETAILS - which chemicals, diluted how much, left on records for how much time, how peeled away , etc - I would not go cleaning my best records to try the glue method out...

 

The reasonable solution, at least in Europe, is Okki Nokki vacuum RCM. There is a waiting line, some half a year long - representative for our country was not even allowed to place order - from this spring...

post #1972 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post
 


Isn't that the problem, the fear of imparting something to the stylus/record. Do you have any video of the vibrating stylus cleaners? I haven't used one, and you are right with regard to stress on the cantilever. Are these just carbon fibers that the stylus just lightly dips into? Like a vibrating forest of fibers, or does it actually sit on a vibrating surface?

 

I guess no one would design such a design that could cause crazy lateral excursion...

 

Weren't there criticisms of some liquid cleaners/brushes where hollow cantilevers could suck up the sauce and get ruined?

 

I used to own the Zerodust and thought it worked well. I have never personally examined a groove after putty/wood glue cleaning, or stylus after Zerodust application. What's your thoughts?

 

Also, any thoughts on the GEM Dandy cleaning system? I have owned a Nitty Gritty and didn't feel it was really doing much...things could sound cleaner. GEM interests me and then a distilled rinse. Combine it with some manual brushing? I'm getting back into vinyl after a time and not sure how to nail down my clean regimen this time round. Thanks!

Yes, it is stylus just lightly dipping into carbon fibre bristles. Vibration is VERTICAL - it produces out of phase output of approx 400 Hz ( and its harmonics, depends on where exactly on the carbon brisrle oad the stylus is positioned - it is anything but critical ).

 

No video - do not think 70-80 micrometer vibration is directly visible to naked eye. The process is relatively LOUD - you can hear the vibration cleaner and stylus getting cleaned across the room.

 

The carbon bristle pad is supposed to be DAMP during cleaning - there is always fluid of one sort or another with these cleaners. I use 30% isopropyl alcohol - but distilled water is almost as good. Due to capillary action of hollow cantilevers, the cleaning pad is better left dry than soaked in liquid; I soak it, then remove any excess liquid by paper tissue - only then goes stylus on the damp pad.

 

Unfortunately, GEM Dandy cleaning system I never heard of before, so can not comment.

post #1973 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

Yes, it is stylus just lightly dipping into carbon fibre bristles. Vibration is VERTICAL - it produces out of phase output of approx 400 Hz ( and its harmonics, depends on where exactly on the carbon brisrle oad the stylus is positioned - it is anything but critical ).

 

No video - do not think 70-80 micrometer vibration is directly visible to naked eye. The process is relatively LOUD - you can hear the vibration cleaner and stylus getting cleaned across the room.

 

The carbon bristle pad is supposed to be DAMP during cleaning - there is always fluid of one sort or another with these cleaners. I use 30% isopropyl alcohol - but distilled water is almost as good. Due to capillary action of hollow cantilevers, the cleaning pad is better left dry than soaked in liquid; I soak it, then remove any excess liquid by paper tissue - only then goes stylus on the damp pad.

 

Unfortunately, GEM Dandy cleaning system I never heard of before, so can not comment.


Funny you mention the Okki. I talked independently to two US hifi dealers recently, but of whom advised my that Okki has changed ownership 2x recently, and the units QC have suffered big time. One is a major retailer of hifi and dropped them.

 

I'm still interested in them, and waiting to hear back from the closest dealer to me. Sadly I haven't heard back in a few weeks after being asked for my email on FB msg.

post #1974 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcilantro View Post
 


Funny you mention the Okki. I talked independently to two US hifi dealers recently, but of whom advised my that Okki has changed ownership 2x recently, and the units QC have suffered big time. One is a major retailer of hifi and dropped them.

 

I'm still interested in them, and waiting to hear back from the closest dealer to me. Sadly I haven't heard back in a few weeks after being asked for my email on FB msg.

I said EUROPE - over in US there are Nitty Gritty and VPI probably better buy overall considering cost, maintenance, etc of actually owning and using the product. I have seen one of the recent Okkis and it is indeed slightly scaled down machine from the Clearaudio I used to use professionally in my retail days. For the price (around 500 EUR in Europe) there is almost nothing comparable. But changing ownership is always a cause for concern - until it is confirmed that "new" product is actually performing as it should have.

 

Personally, I am only interested in supersonic cleaning - the only way to really get the nitty gritty (no pun intended ) out of the very bottom of the groove. Given finances, I will have to come up with McGyver DIY version...

post #1975 of 2619

I didn't read back through all the posts, but quick question... what should I use to clean my acrylic platter with on my TT? 

Thanks in advance

post #1976 of 2619

Tough one - if you do not want to leave any marks. That is why almost all acrylic audio devices have matt or frosted finish - ANYTHING will mar the shiny transparent acrylics. Best to ask a shop that works with acrylic in your area - and ask what locally available gizmos do they use.

post #1977 of 2619

:ksc75smile: 2 months ago I grabbed the last Okki Nokki RCM in stock from a somewhat local dealer in White. I preferred Black but his distributor said there wasn't any machines in sight for an indefinite period. Turns out, the White doesn't look bad... :wink:

post #1978 of 2619

Need help getting a turntable connected to my current setup

I really know nothing of turntables/vinyl/analog sound but I recently inherited quite a large vinyl collection and would like to make use of it.

 

My current setup is as follows

PC outputting sound via toslink to Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Speakers: KRK VXT6s connected to the DacMagic via XLR

Sub: Emotiva Ultra Sub 12 connected to the DacMagic via RCA

 

I am hoping to not have to spend over $200 to get this all working on a decent setup, but since most turntables I've looked at only have RCA outputs I am at a bit of a loss as to how to get this all working. Should I ditch the DAC completely and find a new way to hook it up? Are the turntables with USB or S/PDIF output any good? Kinda scared to go from analog to digital back to analog. I'd like to do with without hurting audio quality.

 

Thanks for any help, sincerely and audio newbie.

post #1979 of 2619
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

It depends on which kind/brand of putty you are using.

 

Most tend to leave residue that is next to invisible - and next to impossible to remove.

it's just some €2 putty, it's about 6 years old, so far it doesn't seem to have damaged my records, or styli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsanderson View Post
 

I didn't read back through all the posts, but quick question... what should I use to clean my acrylic platter with on my TT? 

Thanks in advance

i would say soap, but you might want to e-mail the company that made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

 

On the subject of leaving residue I have been considering trying the PVA glue method for record cleaning, mainly as I have gallons of it in my work shop.

 

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this method of cleaning records before going ahead and trying for myself.

i believe that makes your records extremely static?

post #1980 of 2619
Quote:
Should I ditch the DAC completely and find a new way to hook it up?

 

imho Yes. Get yourself a proper audio interface with a wider selection of inputs and outputs.

 

Something like this Focusrite 2i4 would be ideal and within your budget. Although there are many alternatives.

 

http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4/specifications

 

Since you already have prosumer speakers and sub it makes sense to use them with the type of interface they were designed to work with rather than a 'hi-fi grade' soundcard in a box.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!