Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 122

post #1816 of 2591

As I know nothing about the different types of cartridges I thought it would be good to try and gain a better understanding. Fitted to my Rega 3 is a A&R P77 apparently it is a mid 1980s vintage moving magnet high compliance pickup cartridge. But to be honest I have not a clue as to what all that means, can anyone suggest some reading links is there a cartridges for dummies web site? I like the sound and am in no rush to change at the moment it would just be good to have a better grasp of at least the basics to know how to optimise what I have and also what to look for when the time comes for a change. 

post #1817 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post
 

As I know nothing about the different types of cartridges I thought it would be good to try and gain a better understanding. Fitted to my Rega 3 is a A&R P77 apparently it is a mid 1980s vintage moving magnet high compliance pickup cartridge. But to be honest I have not a clue as to what all that means, can anyone suggest some reading links is there a cartridges for dummies web site? I like the sound and am in no rush to change at the moment it would just be good to have a better grasp of at least the basics to know how to optimise what I have and also what to look for when the time comes for a change. 

A&R P77 is in fact japanese OEM cartridge, "sailing" under lots of flags. What differs are styli.

P77 was modified by the famous Garrott brothers and it went from great to almost fantastic. Expert Stylus Co in UK made the last batch of P77 replica styli that are very close to if not better than original. They still have some stock.

 

Current stylus I am eyeing is Jico SAS Stylus 1 for  

 http://stylus.export-japan.com/sascartridge.php

This cart is yet another reincartnation of P77.

 

This stylus is also the cheapest way to get boron cantilever and Micro Ridge/SAS stylus tip profile - both can be found in carts well into the four figures.

 

So - whatever you decide - that P77 is a keeper.

post #1818 of 2591

@analogsurviver - You seem to be a great wealth of knowledge in all things analog. Since we're on the topic of cartridges, my Music Hall table had come with an Ortofon Mojo cartridge installed. Would you happen to have any info on exactly what this cart is? Thanks!

post #1819 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

@analogsurviver - You seem to be a great wealth of knowledge in all things analog. Since we're on the topic of cartridges, my Music Hall table had come with an Ortofon Mojo cartridge installed. Would you happen to have any info on exactly what this cart is? Thanks!

Unfortunately not - I would have to google it. But it is perhaps an Ortofon OEM for Music Hall. All pics of MH tables I could find yet had Goldring carts on them - can you at least post a pic of the misterious Ortofon cart?

post #1820 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

Unfortunately not - I would have to google it. But it is perhaps an Ortofon OEM for Music Hall. All pics of MH tables I could find yet had Goldring carts on them - can you at least post a pic of the misterious Ortofon cart?

Sure, I hope these are sufficient. Gosh, taking a pic with the flash on really shows the dust that the naked eye just can't see very well. If you do figure out exactly what it is, where does it stand in the MM product line? Thanks again for helping out!

Pictures of Music Hall Mojo (Ortofon) Cartridge (Click to show)

 

 

 

I did manage to find some specs from elusive disc:

 

Ortofon Mojo Cartridge Specifications:
Cartridge Type: Moving Magnet
Output: 3.0mV
Frequency range 20-27.000 Hz
Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz + 2 / - 3 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force 90 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral 30 µm/mN
Stylus type Nude FG 70
Stylus tip radius r/R 5/70 µm
Equivalent stylus tip mass 0,3 mg
Tracking force range 1,25-1,75 g (12,5-17,5 mN)
Tracking force, recommended 1,5 g (15 mN)
Tracking angle 20°

post #1821 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Sure, I hope these are sufficient. Gosh, taking a pic with the flash on really shows the dust that the naked eye just can't see very well. If you do figure out exactly what it is, where does it stand in the MM product line? Thanks again for helping out!

Pictures of Music Hall Mojo (Ortofon) Cartridge (Click to show)

 

 

 

I did manage to find some specs from elusive disc:

 

Ortofon Mojo Cartridge Specifications:
Cartridge Type: Moving Magnet
Output: 3.0mV
Frequency range 20-27.000 Hz
Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz + 2 / - 3 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force 90 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral 30 µm/mN
Stylus type Nude FG 70
Stylus tip radius r/R 5/70 µm
Equivalent stylus tip mass 0,3 mg
Tracking force range 1,25-1,75 g (12,5-17,5 mN)
Tracking force, recommended 1,5 g (15 mN)
Tracking angle 20°

It is a 3X0/5X0 series ( X would here be most probably 3 ) - in Germany also sold under Vinyl Master (Colours as in 2M series ) name. It is roughly equivalent of the 2M Bronze and/or OM 30. In short - just under the very top Orto MMs. So a very good and capable cart - take good care of the stylus, as it most probably is not "sponsored" in normal retail as it was in MF package deal.

post #1822 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

It is a 3X0/5X0 series ( X would here be most probably 3 ) - in Germany also sold under Vinyl Master (Colours as in 2M series ) name. It is roughly equivalent of the 2M Bronze and/or OM 30. In short - just under the very top Orto MMs. So a very good and capable cart - take good care of the stylus, as it most probably is not "sponsored" in normal retail as it was in MF package deal.

Thank you so much for the information! It's nice to finally shed some light on the mystery of this cart after so many years.

:beerchug:

post #1823 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Thank you so much for the information! It's nice to finally shed some light on the mystery of this cart after so many years.

:beerchug:

No problem.

 

It felt good to help you a little - after losing THE bidding war on fleabay.

 

Still fumin'/ventin' ...:angry_face:. Piggybank too small - as Madonna used to sing : "the man with cold hard cash is always right !"

post #1824 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

No problem.

 

It felt good to help you a little - after losing THE bidding war on fleabay.

 

Still fumin'/ventin' ...:angry_face:. Piggybank too small - as Madonna used to sing : "the man with cold hard cash is always right !"

Haha very true! I would love to hear your thoughts on this phono pre I'm building, I finally have all the parts in house and will start on it very soon. I already have the case drilled out :)

 

http://hagtech.com/cornet2.html

 

Is it a good match for my table/cart etc...

 

Thanks!

post #1825 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Haha very true! I would love to hear your thoughts on this phono pre I'm building, I finally have all the parts in house and will start on it very soon. I already have the case drilled out :)

 

http://hagtech.com/cornet2.html

 

Is it a good match for my table/cart etc...

 

Thanks!

Will see to it tomorrow. It is 1 AM here.

 

What just went away is couple of orders of magnitude better than any conventional phono stage - and comes up for sale approx only every 2-3 years...

post #1826 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

Will see to it tomorrow. It is 1 AM here.

 

What just went away is couple of orders of magnitude better than any conventional phono stage - and comes up for sale approx only every 2-3 years...

Wow, sorry to hear you lost out on that bid. All right, have a good night analogsurviver. Looking forward to your thoughts tomorrow!

post #1827 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

A&R P77 is in fact japanese OEM cartridge, "sailing" under lots of flags. What differs are styli.

P77 was modified by the famous Garrott brothers and it went from great to almost fantastic. Expert Stylus Co in UK made the last batch of P77 replica styli that are very close to if not better than original. They still have some stock.

 

Current stylus I am eyeing is Jico SAS Stylus 1 for

 http://stylus.export-japan.com/sascartridge.php

This cart is yet another reincartnation of P77.

 

This stylus is also the cheapest way to get boron cantilever and Micro Ridge/SAS stylus tip profile - both can be found in carts well into the four figures.

 

So - whatever you decide - that P77 is a keeper.

 

Thank you simply wonderful info very helpful indeed and has set me up for more than a couple of hours of googling.  There was me thinking a stylus was a metal needle :deadhorse:

 

A Micro Ridged, Natural single crystal octahedron diamond tip with boron cantilever for the P77 for $97.00! Now that is just plain sowing seeds for future harvesting.

post #1828 of 2591

....a stylus was a metal needle :deadhorse:

 

LMAO - but I was glad I could help. After the above admission I can see why it took you a couple hours of googling ... :D.

 

Your records - and ears - are in for a threat - enjoy when you get it !

post #1829 of 2591

Can I ask what you guys are using for cleaning your records and stylus?

post #1830 of 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieMcC View Post

Can I ask what you guys are using for cleaning your records and stylus?

Discwasher SC-1 from the mid 90s. And I've used it a lot! It's lasted the entire time. I'd probably get Last #4 and their brush next time. Or MoFi. They're about $25.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!