Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 112

post #1666 of 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post

I learned at the last meet from Eee Pee that my setup is fine and any upgrades would be inconsequential.

That doesn't seem like something I'd say. I might have said it's fine for now, but you can always do better. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1667 of 2604

Anyone have opinions on the new Rega RP40? I was considering an RP3 w/ TT-PSU but the RP40 is only $100 more...

post #1668 of 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGradoFan View Post
 

Anyone have opinions on the new Rega RP40? I was considering an RP3 w/ TT-PSU but the RP40 is only $100 more...

 

I was wondering the same thing I've been looking at the RP3 and RP6.  Other than the cool British color  theme I am confused as to whether RP40 is a bargain or not?  

post #1669 of 2604
Key Features
:
Custom matched TT-PSU.
Exclusive Red Silicon drive belt and Red Mat.
ExclusiveElys40 MM cartridge.
Stainless steel balance weight.
Aluminium foot trims and matching top brace.

Custom Titanium Plinth

 

I would say the upgraded belt and having the TT-PSU custom matched to your TT are worth the $100 extra clams.  I'm not sure how much different the cartridge is and the rest seems cosmetic.

post #1670 of 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosley01 View Post
 
Key Features
:
Custom matched TT-PSU.
Exclusive Red Silicon drive belt and Red Mat.
ExclusiveElys40 MM cartridge.
Stainless steel balance weight.
Aluminium foot trims and matching top brace.

Custom Titanium Plinth

 

I would say the upgraded belt and having the TT-PSU custom matched to your TT are worth the $100 extra clams.  I'm not sure how much different the cartridge is and the rest seems cosmetic.

 

It's the exclusive Elys40 MM cartridge that has me confused, what is it?

post #1671 of 2604
If I were a betting man, I would say it's a Elys 2 that's white instead of blue. Their quote mentions something about "Careful testing to the highest achievable specification" so maybe the Elys 2 that test the best get the Elys40 designation but it's probably all marketing fluff......

If it were my money, I would just get a RP6 and supply my own cartridge. If you are patient, I've seen allot of demos pop up nice discounted.
Edited by dosley01 - 9/23/13 at 11:12am
post #1672 of 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosley01 View Post

If I were a betting man, I would say it's a Elys 2 that's white instead of blue. Their quote mentions something about "Careful testing to the highest achievable specification" so maybe the Elys 2 that test the best get the Elys40 designation but it's probably all marketing fluff......

If it were my money, I would just get a RP6 and supply my own cartridge. If you are patient, I've seen allot of demos pop up nice discounted.

 

That was my guess as well.  A really pretty TT and I love Brit Rock, but fluff is something I don't want to spend a lot more for.

post #1673 of 2604

I'm trying to get into TT world and I'm looking for some good deal for used TTs but I don't have a clue about good deals, I've found these that looked good but I'd like to get some opinion from more expert ppl:

 

-  emerson elio 4600 with SHURE 70B  for 180$  (fully functional and perfect)

 PIONEER PL 300 without needle for 55$ (fully functional cover not pefect)

-  FISHER MT 6330 for 90$ (perfect )

-  SANYO TP 1012 UM for 80$ (seems pretty much perfect)

 

Are these any good, are they worth their price ?

Thanks in advance


Edited by Eit8 - 9/25/13 at 6:41am
post #1674 of 2604
:DQuote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosley01 View Post

If I were a betting man, I would say it's a Elys 2 that's white instead of blue. Their quote mentions something about "Careful testing to the highest achievable specification" so maybe the Elys 2 that test the best get the Elys40 designation but it's probably all marketing fluff......

If it were my money, I would just get a RP6 and supply my own cartridge. If you are patient, I've seen allot of demos pop up nice discounted.

 

That was my guess as well.  A really pretty TT and I love Brit Rock, but fluff is something I don't want to spend a lot more for.

 

Usually, I'm a fluff fan.  'Course, my RP6 is not particularly fluffy.  I don't mind lookin' good.

:D

 

post #1675 of 2604
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eit8 View Post

I'm trying to get into TT world and I'm looking for some good deal for used TTs but I don't have a clue about good deals, I've found these that looked good but I'd like to get some opinion from more expert ppl:

-  emerson elio 4600 with SHURE 70B  for 180$  (fully functional and perfect)
 PIONEER PL 300 without needle for 55$ (fully functional cover not pefect)
-  FISHER MT 6330 for 90$ (perfect )
-  SANYO TP 1012 UM for 80$ (seems pretty much perfect)

Are these any good, are they worth their price ?
Thanks in advance

Not super familiar with all of those but I would go with the Pioneer as that's a decent deck and a pretty good price.
post #1676 of 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

 

Usually, I'm a fluff fan.  'Course, my RP6 is not particularly fluffy.  I don't mind lookin' good.

:D

 


Looks great! :beerchug:


Edited by Destroysall - 9/27/13 at 10:52am
post #1677 of 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eit8 View Post
 

I'm trying to get into TT world and I'm looking for some good deal for used TTs but I don't have a clue about good deals, I've found these that looked good but I'd like to get some opinion from more expert ppl:

 

-  emerson elio 4600 with SHURE 70B  for 180$  (fully functional and perfect)

 PIONEER PL 300 without needle for 55$ (fully functional cover not pefect)

-  FISHER MT 6330 for 90$ (perfect )

-  SANYO TP 1012 UM for 80$ (seems pretty much perfect)

 

Are these any good, are they worth their price ?

Thanks in advance

 

I actually owned the Pioneer PL 100 it was a solid TT that lasted many years.  It was relatively easy to upgrade (no problems with that cartridge replacement).  $55 for the PL 300 is a good buy. I am totally unfamiliar with the other TT's.  

post #1678 of 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


Not super familiar with all of those but I would go with the Pioneer as that's a decent deck and a pretty good price.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
 

 

I actually owned the Pioneer PL 100 it was a solid TT that lasted many years.  It was relatively easy to upgrade (no problems with that cartridge replacement).  $55 for the PL 300 is a good buy. I am totally unfamiliar with the other TT's.  

 

Thanks for the opinions, I saw the pictures of the emerson elio and it looked very nice but it is a bit out of my budget considering it will be mi first TT, I don't have many records and I still need a proper amp for it. I guess I will go for the pioneer.

post #1679 of 2604

Hello all, I've recently purchased a Project Debut Carbon Esprit table (with acrylic platter and Ortofon Om2 red cartridge) to replace a vintage turntable (an ERA 444) that's been having motor issues (it stopped playing 45s at the correct speed).

 

The Project table is hooked to a Rega Fono Mini pre-amp, an Atoll In30 and Dali Zensor 1 speakers. Like the ERA before it.

 

It's been playing records for around 20 hours and sounds a little bright for my liking (and this is a treble-head writing), but that's not what I'd need help with : I get frequent random bursts of a very high-pitched whine that's driving me crazy. The hiss is not continous and seems to start of itself, without warning and seemingly without cause, whether the table is turning or not.

 

I'm pretty sure this is a ground issue, as the hiss tends to stop after I fidget with the ground wire, which is hooked to the appropriate connector on the pre-amp. It is, of course, possible that the hiss' randomness coincides with my messing around. 

Anyone know a way out of this ?

 

If it matters, the ERA, which had no ground wire, did not hiss in this way at all. Could my Rega preamp be faulty in some way ?


Edited by Mrtn77 - 9/26/13 at 12:02pm
post #1680 of 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtn77 View Post
 

Hello all, I've recently purchased a Project Debut Carbon Esprit table (with acrylic platter and Ortofon Om2 red cartridge) to replace a vintage turntable (an ERA 444) that's been having motor issues (it stopped playing 45s at the correct speed).

 

The Project table is hooked to a Rega Fono Mini pre-amp, an Atoll In30 and Dali Zensor 1 speakers. Like the ERA before it.

 

It's been playing records for around 20 hours and sounds a little bright for my liking (and this is a treble-head writing), but that's not what I'd need help with : I get frequent random bursts of a very high-pitched whine that's driving me crazy. The hiss is not continous and seems to start of itself, without warning and seemingly without cause, whether the table is turning or not.

 

I'm pretty sure this is a ground issue, as the hiss tends to stop after I fidget with the ground wire, which is hooked to the appropriate connector on the pre-amp. It is, of course, possible that the hiss' randomness coincides with my messing around. 

Anyone know a way out of this ?

 

If it matters, the ERA, which had no ground wire, did not hiss in this way at all. Could my Rega preamp be faulty in some way ?

I would place a solid base underneath the table for isolation if you haven't already.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!