Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE! - Page 100

post #1486 of 2630
I have been considering getting a vinyl set up. Is it possible to connect my violetric v100 to a receiver? So I can use my lcd2 with the turntable
post #1487 of 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen89 View Post

I have been considering getting a vinyl set up. Is it possible to connect my violetric v100 to a receiver? So I can use my lcd2 with the turntable

 

Yes you can, just use the line out from your receiver to the V100.

post #1488 of 2630

Before I forget; collateral demage # ??:

 

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

post #1489 of 2630

Hello there,

I just realized that my turntable (on order) doesnt have an auto-return or a cue lever. I found something like THIS (Q UP) which just pops the tonearm up at the end of the record. Is there anything like this (modular) that is a cue lever or some variant? 

Or is this not necessary and I should just master manual drops.


Thanks,

post #1490 of 2630

It's not a U-Turn Orbit, is it?

post #1491 of 2630

Many, many full moons ago, IIRC Audio Technica used to produce such a device. Next to impossible finding it now. There is a device called Unilift by Hadcock, made for Hadcock unipivot tonearms http://www.soundhifi.com/hadcock.html that might or might not be DIY adapted to whatever ( U Turn ? ) you have.

 

An equivalent to Q up from the olden days is Audio Technica AT 6006a Safety Raiser . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEgRrRIV7A  It does sporadically show up on ebay - none at the moment. Another blast from the past on these theme is Monitor Audio's  Stylift http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDWeFa69rJs

 

I could go through old catalogs for the model # of that old AT , but as I've said, obtaining it now is next to Mission Impossible.

 

You can use this http://www.ebay.com/itm/JELCO-JL-45-TONEARM-LIFT-LOWER-CUEING-DEVICE-/300905939264?pt=US_Record_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item460f644140 (or any TT with similar lift from garage sell, GW, TS etc ) and DIY adapt it to your unit.

 

The only other lift available separately is that by Dynavector for their DV 50X series of tonearms, which is specific for this type of tonearm and can not be used with conventional pivoted arms.

post #1492 of 2630

I like this little device, I always hate when the stylus is at the end of an album waiting for me to lift it.  I just ordered one to give it a try.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman1116 View Post

Hello there,

I just realized that my turntable (on order) doesnt have an auto-return or a cue lever. I found something like THIS (Q UP) which just pops the tonearm up at the end of the record. Is there anything like this (modular) that is a cue lever or some variant? 

Or is this not necessary and I should just master manual drops.


Thanks,


Edited by shipsupt - 7/9/13 at 5:42am
post #1493 of 2630

Don't forget the "Levitator"

 

 

Vinyl Asylum Review and info to order:  http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1022645&VT=T

post #1494 of 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post

It's not a U-Turn Orbit, is it?

Lol anything wrong with that?
 

Thanks for the alternative options Dosley and analogsurvivor. I just wish it didnt cost $50+... Seems expensive for something that just lifts the tone arm at the end of the record.

What are the downsides if I just let the record run past the grooves? oo scratches and maybe damaged needle huh? okay.

 

I will see how much of a problem manual is and then decide but I am very interested in the cueing device. 
Thanks everyone.


Edited by johnman1116 - 7/9/13 at 7:18pm
post #1495 of 2630

Nothing wrong, actually. It's just the only turntable lacking a cueing lever that comes to mind, that's all. I've actually been following the progress. It'll be interesting to hear how it performs once they start delivering them.

post #1496 of 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post

Nothing wrong, actually. It's just the only turntable lacking a cueing lever that comes to mind, that's all. I've actually been following the progress. It'll be interesting to hear how it performs once they start delivering them.

+1.

 

It was amusing but not funny to find out the prices of end side lifters, both for vintage  ( can be > $ than current production ) and say Hadcock arms & accesories/spare parts. Back in the day, Hadcock was well regarded as offering extremely good sound for relatively little money. Even then, it was not nearly as inexpensive as U Turn. Now, a single replacement arm tube costs about the same as U Turn complete turntable. It has to be stessed that Hadcock withstood the test of time, still going strong(er) as on day one. If you want to add cueing lift to U Turn, required for any reason, unless you are machining guy and can fabricate the necessary bits&pieces to accomodate the armlift yourself, it will run you the same or more as say an entry level Rega or Project. 

 

I hope that unipivot arm on the U Turn will perform better enough than either entry Rega or Project arm for its handling defiiciences to be acceptable and sound edge great enough for the people to invest in cueing lift and/or end of side lift. If U Turn people read this - how about U Turn MK2 with at least cueing lift at U Turn price? Lowering and lifting the stylus with a fingerlift without causing demage to the record is hard enough with normal arms using "hard" bearings, let alone unipivots that can be PITA in this regard. And in case you have not noticed - upper end arms tend to have no fingerlift at all or offer it as "accesory" - because it adds resonance prone mass in the worst place imaginable. Those arms of course tend to be $ - addition of cueing lift would allow U Turn to get rid of the fingerlift and thus increase SQ further while still keeping the price reasonable.

post #1497 of 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post

Nothing wrong, actually. It's just the only turntable lacking a cueing lever that comes to mind, that's all. I've actually been following the progress. It'll be interesting to hear how it performs once they start delivering them.

LOL. Sorry if that came out wrong. Yea im hoping its a winner too. I didnt even realize there wasnt a cueing lever until someone mentioned it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

+1.

 

It was amusing but not funny to find out the prices of end side lifters, both for vintage  ( can be > $ than current production ) and say Hadcock arms & accesories/spare parts. Back in the day, Hadcock was well regarded as offering extremely good sound for relatively little money. Even then, it was not nearly as inexpensive as U Turn. Now, a single replacement arm tube costs about the same as U Turn complete turntable. It has to be stessed that Hadcock withstood the test of time, still going strong(er) as on day one. If you want to add cueing lift to U Turn, required for any reason, unless you are machining guy and can fabricate the necessary bits&pieces to accomodate the armlift yourself, it will run you the same or more as say an entry level Rega or Project. 

 

I hope that unipivot arm on the U Turn will perform better enough than either entry Rega or Project arm for its handling defiiciences to be acceptable and sound edge great enough for the people to invest in cueing lift and/or end of side lift. If U Turn people read this - how about U Turn MK2 with at least cueing lift at U Turn price? Lowering and lifting the stylus with a fingerlift without causing demage to the record is hard enough with normal arms using "hard" bearings, let alone unipivots that can be PITA in this regard. And in case you have not noticed - upper end arms tend to have no fingerlift at all or offer it as "accesory" - because it adds resonance prone mass in the worst place imaginable. Those arms of course tend to be $ - addition of cueing lift would allow U Turn to get rid of the fingerlift and thus increase SQ further while still keeping the price reasonable.

wait, youre saying that a cueing lift costs as much as an entry level rega or project?? 

Maybe another kickstarter for a curing lift attachment? lol

feels like ive been waiting forever for the uturn...

post #1498 of 2630

Just a question to VPI uni-pivot owners...

 

I've been continually tweaking my setup since purchasing my Classic 1 some 8 months ago or so.  Not that things didn't sound great, but I was curious to experiment as this is my first uni-pivot tonearm.

 

My question is; do you all set the azimuth using the main tonearm counter-weight or more with the azimuth ring?  I had previously set the azimuth using the ring but found that tracking wasn't optimal.  I don't know why this should be, but it seems like the arm is much more stable when I leave the azimuth ring centered about the main axis of the tonearm and adjust azimuth using the angle of the counter-weight.  Of course I re-checked VTA and tracking force but it just seems so much better this way as opposed to having the counter-weight centered and the azimuth ring twisted to adjustment.  Inner groove distortion seems totally gone now and tracking is rock solid.

 

Just an observation, but curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

 

-  Hi-Five

post #1499 of 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman1116 View Post

LOL. Sorry if that came out wrong. Yea im hoping its a winner too. I didnt even realize there wasnt a cueing lever until someone mentioned it. 

wait, youre saying that a cueing lift costs as much as an entry level rega or project?? 

Maybe another kickstarter for a curing lift attachment? lol

feels like ive been waiting forever for the uturn...

No, I meant when you add cueing lift to U Turn then it can cost as much as entry Rega or Project. You would have to somehow attach the cueing lift mechanism to U Turn - that means custom machining and can be $$$$. Try to approach a machine shop with the prospect of making a single piece for you...

 

I am at loss to explain why U Turn decided to go without the cueing lift in the first place. It might be that the Japanese sources have dried up and remaining manufacturer(s) ( Jelco) have adjusted the price accordingly to supply and demand. Which would mean an increase in price of at least say 50 $, if they got a good deal on bulk lift purchase and fabricate their own interface part(s). While off-putting in context of really cheap price, it would have been far less expensive than presently (un)available aftermarket solutions.

post #1500 of 2630
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Five View Post

Just a question to VPI uni-pivot owners...

I've been continually tweaking my setup since purchasing my Classic 1 some 8 months ago or so.  Not that things didn't sound great, but I was curious to experiment as this is my first uni-pivot tonearm.

My question is; do you all set the azimuth using the main tonearm counter-weight or more with the azimuth ring?  I had previously set the azimuth using the ring but found that tracking wasn't optimal.  I don't know why this should be, but it seems like the arm is much more stable when I leave the azimuth ring centered about the main axis of the tonearm and adjust azimuth using the angle of the counter-weight.  Of course I re-checked VTA and tracking force but it just seems so much better this way as opposed to having the counter-weight centered and the azimuth ring twisted to adjustment.  Inner groove distortion seems totally gone now and tracking is rock solid.

Just an observation, but curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

-  Hi-Five

I have a JMW-9 on my ScoutMaster and it doesn't have the ring. But the tone arm weight works very well for me to get azimuth right. A bit tricky to adjust and not change the VTF, but I did eventually get this down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!