Happened to be in Best Buy today, and of course they have Souls front and center, flanking the Bose display with the Beats on the other side. Talk about a trainwreck. Anyway, I figured I'd give them a chance, how bad can they be? (that was a dumb question). I barely made it 30 seconds into the Touch The Sky remix with the XX (gorgeous song btw and great for demos) before I had to take them off, I couldn't take it. Hell, I had to use a pair of HD429s buried in the corner just to clean my palette, so to speak. Just to remind myself what a REAL pair of $200 headphones sound like, I had to put on a set of HD558s just for the laughs. It was almost embarrassing. I can't believe they let those past the R&D phase. My stock Apple buds have better range, clarity, and soundstage than those $200 jokes. I wanted them to be better than Beats, but they might actually be worse. Don't do it. And don't let anybody else if you can help it. Friends don't let friends listen to garbage headphones.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 6/6/12
- brandSOUL By Ludacristagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSOUL by Ludacris SL150CB High-Definition On-Ear Headphones (Black/Chrome)tagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Souls by Ludacris - Beat by Dr. Dre parody? Last post on 1/5/12 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SOUL by Ludacris Headphones... Last post on 7/23/11 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Soul by Ludacris Last post on 2/16/12 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Bassy headphones Last post on 11/1/13 at 4:11am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Nuforce HEM4 – impressions and comparison with HEM2 After listening to the HEM2s recently courtesy of the Nuforce Massdrop, I managed to pick up a pair of the next model in their HEM series (the...
http://www.shozy-hk.com/zero-earphone/ Preamble: I was honored to receive an invitation to join in the Delta test of the pre-production Shozy Zero around April 16th. I received the unit...
Background: I am not an audiophile, I just like to enjoy music in good quality. This writing is more like a collection of subjective experience and impressions rather than a professional review....
These headphones need to be amped. If you choose to use them without doing so, they will sound weak and lifeless. The complaints I read about seem to me to be with people that haven't synergized...
For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty. I also...
For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Soulspost #1 of 1606/4/12 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1606/4/12 at 7:14pmpost #3 of 1606/4/12 at 7:20pmThread Starter
Really? I honestly don't know what was wrong with these. They were muddy, quite the opposite of high definition. The soundstage...well I don't remember it so it couldn't have been anything out of the ordinary. I tried every eq setting, it all sounded muddy and lifeless. The $99 Sennheisers were...infinitely better. The Souls were built beautifully, but that's really all I can say. Maybe they were shot from life on the demo stand? Who knows. All I can say is that I've heard similar sound from $50 over-the-ears.post #4 of 1606/4/12 at 7:22pm
I've read that they are better than the beats and excel at playing rap because that is what they are expecting users to play.
I would assume they are not that good overall but they can't possibly be that bad.post #5 of 1606/4/12 at 7:28pm
i heard these before and i can say that they are better than beats, more midrange pressence and less muddy and boomy bass. a change of cables would help as well. i tried denko cables with these and the midrange even improved, with alot tighter and controlled bass.
maybe the pair you tried is an not "burned-in" yet. try going back to the store and listen to it again after few months, haha.
are they worth it? still no :Ppost #6 of 1606/4/12 at 7:30pmpost #7 of 1606/4/12 at 7:34pmpost #8 of 1606/4/12 at 7:36pm
Its funny. I think the people in the general public love the beats/souls because of the cool factor, so it ends up sounding good to them. On the other hand, people on head-fi have been taught to hate them, so I feel like we have an 'ear-bias' towards them as well. The power of the mind eh?post #9 of 1606/4/12 at 7:38pmpost #10 of 1606/4/12 at 7:52pmThread Starter
Sorry about that, it was the SL150s. Could be that they were too "new" as well, that's always a possibility. Unlike some I do believe in burn-in, so that could be a factor. Not sure how long these units were on display. I grew up with extremely high-end audio, and have heard all kinds of equipment, so maybe I have been biased slightly, but I can firmly say that there's no way anyone should buy these as opposed to say, HD558s, which can be had for less still and sound amazing. That particular song has some bass, it's Kanye over XX instrumentals, and the vocals were extremely cloudy I thought. I'd say they were even with the Beats Studios I demoed, a few times at that. Bass response could have been better with a song like Rack City or something, but honestly I didn't stick around to find out.post #11 of 1606/4/12 at 9:29pm
I also tried out all the models of the Souls in Best Buy and the were horrible, worse than the Beats that is for sure. The Soul version of the Solo HD were the worst sounding pair of headphones I've had the misfortune of hearing; my HA-RX700's sound miles better.post #12 of 1606/4/12 at 9:38pmThread StarterQuote:
Yeah I can imagine...I didn't even bother to try the smaller ones, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I really don't understand how anyone buys either brand and thinks they sound good. I think the Beats Tours sound ok...I'd pay $85 for them...that's about it. I was really hoping the Souls would have something to offer but it doesn't sound like it at all...post #13 of 1606/5/12 at 3:00amBut... but... I'm a crossroads demon, what else am I supposed to buy?
SL150s are crap, but still better than Beats Studios. Now, gotta go, time to foreclose on Lindsay Lohan, her soul is waaaay past due.post #14 of 1606/5/12 at 6:41amQuote:
+1 HAHApost #15 of 1606/5/12 at 4:00pmThread StarterQuote:
They might be, I mean on a scale of 1 to 10, they're both pretty close to 3 on either side, so they're so bad already that I really couldn't be bothered to bleed my eardrums more to find the difference.
- For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Souls
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 2 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Peoria IL Summer Meet 2016 (June 18th 2016). 2 minutes ago
- › Help *hearing impaired* choosing headphones that won't die on me 3 minutes ago
- › Re adding the printed symbols & names on some audio gear? 4 minutes ago
- › MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device 5 minutes ago
- › First message from new member: clairfy terms used in headphone reviews 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 6 minutes ago
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...