Happened to be in Best Buy today, and of course they have Souls front and center, flanking the Bose display with the Beats on the other side. Talk about a trainwreck. Anyway, I figured I'd give them a chance, how bad can they be? (that was a dumb question). I barely made it 30 seconds into the Touch The Sky remix with the XX (gorgeous song btw and great for demos) before I had to take them off, I couldn't take it. Hell, I had to use a pair of HD429s buried in the corner just to clean my palette, so to speak. Just to remind myself what a REAL pair of $200 headphones sound like, I had to put on a set of HD558s just for the laughs. It was almost embarrassing. I can't believe they let those past the R&D phase. My stock Apple buds have better range, clarity, and soundstage than those $200 jokes. I wanted them to be better than Beats, but they might actually be worse. Don't do it. And don't let anybody else if you can help it. Friends don't let friends listen to garbage headphones.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 6/6/12
- brandSOUL By Ludacristagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSOUL by Ludacris SL150CB High-Definition On-Ear Headphones (Black/Chrome)tagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Souls by Ludacris - Beat by Dr. Dre parody? Last post on 1/5/12 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SOUL by Ludacris Headphones... Last post on 7/23/11 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Soul by Ludacris Last post on 2/16/12 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which of these headphones are the best for me... Last post on 1/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
*Not an audio professional review, only my user opinion* After listening to lots of headphones inside this price ranger I decided on these. I was first worried cause lately I was reading lots...
First, I’d like to thank Audrey and the folks at Brainwavz and MP4 Nation for providing a sample of the S5 for review. It was late last month when I received a message from the folks at...
help!! I'm fallling!!!!!!!(photoshop lvl expert) For any Sony DAPs, the letter goes for a kind/category of DAP. The first numbers for the model and the last number is always for the onboard...
Background and listening experience: I bought these as a complementary headphone for my ZMF Vibros. I wanted something open and I've been curious about Audio Technica for a while. In the past, I've...
For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Soulspost #1 of 1606/4/12 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1606/4/12 at 7:14pmpost #3 of 1606/4/12 at 7:20pmThread Starter
Really? I honestly don't know what was wrong with these. They were muddy, quite the opposite of high definition. The soundstage...well I don't remember it so it couldn't have been anything out of the ordinary. I tried every eq setting, it all sounded muddy and lifeless. The $99 Sennheisers were...infinitely better. The Souls were built beautifully, but that's really all I can say. Maybe they were shot from life on the demo stand? Who knows. All I can say is that I've heard similar sound from $50 over-the-ears.post #4 of 1606/4/12 at 7:22pm
I've read that they are better than the beats and excel at playing rap because that is what they are expecting users to play.
I would assume they are not that good overall but they can't possibly be that bad.post #5 of 1606/4/12 at 7:28pm
i heard these before and i can say that they are better than beats, more midrange pressence and less muddy and boomy bass. a change of cables would help as well. i tried denko cables with these and the midrange even improved, with alot tighter and controlled bass.
maybe the pair you tried is an not "burned-in" yet. try going back to the store and listen to it again after few months, haha.
are they worth it? still no :Ppost #6 of 1606/4/12 at 7:30pmpost #7 of 1606/4/12 at 7:34pmpost #8 of 1606/4/12 at 7:36pm
Its funny. I think the people in the general public love the beats/souls because of the cool factor, so it ends up sounding good to them. On the other hand, people on head-fi have been taught to hate them, so I feel like we have an 'ear-bias' towards them as well. The power of the mind eh?post #9 of 1606/4/12 at 7:38pmpost #10 of 1606/4/12 at 7:52pmThread Starter
Sorry about that, it was the SL150s. Could be that they were too "new" as well, that's always a possibility. Unlike some I do believe in burn-in, so that could be a factor. Not sure how long these units were on display. I grew up with extremely high-end audio, and have heard all kinds of equipment, so maybe I have been biased slightly, but I can firmly say that there's no way anyone should buy these as opposed to say, HD558s, which can be had for less still and sound amazing. That particular song has some bass, it's Kanye over XX instrumentals, and the vocals were extremely cloudy I thought. I'd say they were even with the Beats Studios I demoed, a few times at that. Bass response could have been better with a song like Rack City or something, but honestly I didn't stick around to find out.post #11 of 1606/4/12 at 9:29pm
I also tried out all the models of the Souls in Best Buy and the were horrible, worse than the Beats that is for sure. The Soul version of the Solo HD were the worst sounding pair of headphones I've had the misfortune of hearing; my HA-RX700's sound miles better.post #12 of 1606/4/12 at 9:38pmThread StarterQuote:
Yeah I can imagine...I didn't even bother to try the smaller ones, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I really don't understand how anyone buys either brand and thinks they sound good. I think the Beats Tours sound ok...I'd pay $85 for them...that's about it. I was really hoping the Souls would have something to offer but it doesn't sound like it at all...post #13 of 1606/5/12 at 3:00amBut... but... I'm a crossroads demon, what else am I supposed to buy?
SL150s are crap, but still better than Beats Studios. Now, gotta go, time to foreclose on Lindsay Lohan, her soul is waaaay past due.post #14 of 1606/5/12 at 6:41amQuote:
+1 HAHApost #15 of 1606/5/12 at 4:00pmThread StarterQuote:
They might be, I mean on a scale of 1 to 10, they're both pretty close to 3 on either side, so they're so bad already that I really couldn't be bothered to bleed my eardrums more to find the difference.
- For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Souls
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 6 seconds ago
- › WIndows config for best audio quality 22 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › upgrade from ATH-M50/listen to rap mostly/under $300 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. . 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 4 minutes ago
- › need a dac that works for a chromebook 4 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › Beyerdynamic XP1 by SawItComing
- › Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import) by DisCHORDDubstep
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by thatBeatsguy
- › Fostex TH 900 by smitty1110
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)