Happened to be in Best Buy today, and of course they have Souls front and center, flanking the Bose display with the Beats on the other side. Talk about a trainwreck. Anyway, I figured I'd give them a chance, how bad can they be? (that was a dumb question). I barely made it 30 seconds into the Touch The Sky remix with the XX (gorgeous song btw and great for demos) before I had to take them off, I couldn't take it. Hell, I had to use a pair of HD429s buried in the corner just to clean my palette, so to speak. Just to remind myself what a REAL pair of $200 headphones sound like, I had to put on a set of HD558s just for the laughs. It was almost embarrassing. I can't believe they let those past the R&D phase. My stock Apple buds have better range, clarity, and soundstage than those $200 jokes. I wanted them to be better than Beats, but they might actually be worse. Don't do it. And don't let anybody else if you can help it. Friends don't let friends listen to garbage headphones.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 6/6/12
- brandSOUL By Ludacristagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSOUL by Ludacris SL150CB High-Definition On-Ear Headphones (Black/Chrome)tagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Souls by Ludacris - Beat by Dr. Dre parody? Last post on 1/5/12 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SOUL by Ludacris Headphones... Last post on 7/23/11 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Soul by Ludacris Last post on 2/16/12 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which of these headphones are the best for me... Last post on 1/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
This is a Review of Brainwavz S5 in-ear monitors. http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html I was a little cautious approaching the review of the latest flagship in-ear model from Brainwavz. With a...
I had high expectations of this based on so-called "professional reviews" listed on the iFi website & ones here. Particularly the one from the audiostream "Greatest bits"...
I don't constantly own a huge headphone inventory, in the past I had the Sennheiser Amperior + HD25, ATH-M50X, and currently have the V-MODA M100. Compared to those headphones the K267 superior if...
I got these phones as a gift, and I am quite happy with the sound quality and comfort. The noise cancelling is also quite good, and can completely eliminate certain frequencies of extraneous noise....
I will start by saying I went through 3 of these. All of which were under warranty, and I was by no means rough with them. The sound was nice, it had a decent bass compared to any of my other...
For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Soulspost #1 of 1606/4/12 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1606/4/12 at 7:14pmpost #3 of 1606/4/12 at 7:20pmThread Starter
Really? I honestly don't know what was wrong with these. They were muddy, quite the opposite of high definition. The soundstage...well I don't remember it so it couldn't have been anything out of the ordinary. I tried every eq setting, it all sounded muddy and lifeless. The $99 Sennheisers were...infinitely better. The Souls were built beautifully, but that's really all I can say. Maybe they were shot from life on the demo stand? Who knows. All I can say is that I've heard similar sound from $50 over-the-ears.post #4 of 1606/4/12 at 7:22pm
I've read that they are better than the beats and excel at playing rap because that is what they are expecting users to play.
I would assume they are not that good overall but they can't possibly be that bad.post #5 of 1606/4/12 at 7:28pm
i heard these before and i can say that they are better than beats, more midrange pressence and less muddy and boomy bass. a change of cables would help as well. i tried denko cables with these and the midrange even improved, with alot tighter and controlled bass.
maybe the pair you tried is an not "burned-in" yet. try going back to the store and listen to it again after few months, haha.
are they worth it? still no :Ppost #6 of 1606/4/12 at 7:30pmpost #7 of 1606/4/12 at 7:34pmpost #8 of 1606/4/12 at 7:36pm
Its funny. I think the people in the general public love the beats/souls because of the cool factor, so it ends up sounding good to them. On the other hand, people on head-fi have been taught to hate them, so I feel like we have an 'ear-bias' towards them as well. The power of the mind eh?post #9 of 1606/4/12 at 7:38pmpost #10 of 1606/4/12 at 7:52pmThread Starter
Sorry about that, it was the SL150s. Could be that they were too "new" as well, that's always a possibility. Unlike some I do believe in burn-in, so that could be a factor. Not sure how long these units were on display. I grew up with extremely high-end audio, and have heard all kinds of equipment, so maybe I have been biased slightly, but I can firmly say that there's no way anyone should buy these as opposed to say, HD558s, which can be had for less still and sound amazing. That particular song has some bass, it's Kanye over XX instrumentals, and the vocals were extremely cloudy I thought. I'd say they were even with the Beats Studios I demoed, a few times at that. Bass response could have been better with a song like Rack City or something, but honestly I didn't stick around to find out.post #11 of 1606/4/12 at 9:29pm
I also tried out all the models of the Souls in Best Buy and the were horrible, worse than the Beats that is for sure. The Soul version of the Solo HD were the worst sounding pair of headphones I've had the misfortune of hearing; my HA-RX700's sound miles better.post #12 of 1606/4/12 at 9:38pmThread StarterQuote:
Yeah I can imagine...I didn't even bother to try the smaller ones, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I really don't understand how anyone buys either brand and thinks they sound good. I think the Beats Tours sound ok...I'd pay $85 for them...that's about it. I was really hoping the Souls would have something to offer but it doesn't sound like it at all...post #13 of 1606/5/12 at 3:00amBut... but... I'm a crossroads demon, what else am I supposed to buy?
SL150s are crap, but still better than Beats Studios. Now, gotta go, time to foreclose on Lindsay Lohan, her soul is waaaay past due.post #14 of 1606/5/12 at 6:41amQuote:
+1 HAHApost #15 of 1606/5/12 at 4:00pmThread StarterQuote:
They might be, I mean on a scale of 1 to 10, they're both pretty close to 3 on either side, so they're so bad already that I really couldn't be bothered to bleed my eardrums more to find the difference.
- For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Souls
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › [Preview] FiiO E18 Kunlun – Surprise, Surprise. 51 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › Looking for headphones 1 minute ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by twister6
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by DallasDanielle
- › AudioQuest Carbon USB Digital Audio Cable 1.5m by Maxx134
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kwilt
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)