Happened to be in Best Buy today, and of course they have Souls front and center, flanking the Bose display with the Beats on the other side. Talk about a trainwreck. Anyway, I figured I'd give them a chance, how bad can they be? (that was a dumb question). I barely made it 30 seconds into the Touch The Sky remix with the XX (gorgeous song btw and great for demos) before I had to take them off, I couldn't take it. Hell, I had to use a pair of HD429s buried in the corner just to clean my palette, so to speak. Just to remind myself what a REAL pair of $200 headphones sound like, I had to put on a set of HD558s just for the laughs. It was almost embarrassing. I can't believe they let those past the R&D phase. My stock Apple buds have better range, clarity, and soundstage than those $200 jokes. I wanted them to be better than Beats, but they might actually be worse. Don't do it. And don't let anybody else if you can help it. Friends don't let friends listen to garbage headphones.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 6/6/12
- brandSOUL By Ludacristagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSOUL by Ludacris SL150CB High-Definition On-Ear Headphones (Black/Chrome)tagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Souls by Ludacris - Beat by Dr. Dre parody? Last post on 1/5/12 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SOUL by Ludacris Headphones... Last post on 7/23/11 at 1:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Soul by Ludacris Last post on 2/16/12 at 11:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Which of these headphones are the best for me... Last post on 1/13/13 at 7:01pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Soulspost #1 of 1606/4/12 at 7:04pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1606/4/12 at 7:14pmpost #3 of 1606/4/12 at 7:20pmThread Starter
Really? I honestly don't know what was wrong with these. They were muddy, quite the opposite of high definition. The soundstage...well I don't remember it so it couldn't have been anything out of the ordinary. I tried every eq setting, it all sounded muddy and lifeless. The $99 Sennheisers were...infinitely better. The Souls were built beautifully, but that's really all I can say. Maybe they were shot from life on the demo stand? Who knows. All I can say is that I've heard similar sound from $50 over-the-ears.post #4 of 1606/4/12 at 7:22pm
I've read that they are better than the beats and excel at playing rap because that is what they are expecting users to play.
I would assume they are not that good overall but they can't possibly be that bad.post #5 of 1606/4/12 at 7:28pm
i heard these before and i can say that they are better than beats, more midrange pressence and less muddy and boomy bass. a change of cables would help as well. i tried denko cables with these and the midrange even improved, with alot tighter and controlled bass.
maybe the pair you tried is an not "burned-in" yet. try going back to the store and listen to it again after few months, haha.
are they worth it? still no :Ppost #6 of 1606/4/12 at 7:30pmpost #7 of 1606/4/12 at 7:34pmpost #8 of 1606/4/12 at 7:36pm
Its funny. I think the people in the general public love the beats/souls because of the cool factor, so it ends up sounding good to them. On the other hand, people on head-fi have been taught to hate them, so I feel like we have an 'ear-bias' towards them as well. The power of the mind eh?post #9 of 1606/4/12 at 7:38pmpost #10 of 1606/4/12 at 7:52pmThread Starter
Sorry about that, it was the SL150s. Could be that they were too "new" as well, that's always a possibility. Unlike some I do believe in burn-in, so that could be a factor. Not sure how long these units were on display. I grew up with extremely high-end audio, and have heard all kinds of equipment, so maybe I have been biased slightly, but I can firmly say that there's no way anyone should buy these as opposed to say, HD558s, which can be had for less still and sound amazing. That particular song has some bass, it's Kanye over XX instrumentals, and the vocals were extremely cloudy I thought. I'd say they were even with the Beats Studios I demoed, a few times at that. Bass response could have been better with a song like Rack City or something, but honestly I didn't stick around to find out.post #11 of 1606/4/12 at 9:29pm
I also tried out all the models of the Souls in Best Buy and the were horrible, worse than the Beats that is for sure. The Soul version of the Solo HD were the worst sounding pair of headphones I've had the misfortune of hearing; my HA-RX700's sound miles better.post #12 of 1606/4/12 at 9:38pmThread StarterQuote:
Yeah I can imagine...I didn't even bother to try the smaller ones, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I really don't understand how anyone buys either brand and thinks they sound good. I think the Beats Tours sound ok...I'd pay $85 for them...that's about it. I was really hoping the Souls would have something to offer but it doesn't sound like it at all...post #13 of 1606/5/12 at 3:00amBut... but... I'm a crossroads demon, what else am I supposed to buy?
SL150s are crap, but still better than Beats Studios. Now, gotta go, time to foreclose on Lindsay Lohan, her soul is waaaay past due.post #14 of 1606/5/12 at 6:41amQuote:
+1 HAHApost #15 of 1606/5/12 at 4:00pmThread StarterQuote:
They might be, I mean on a scale of 1 to 10, they're both pretty close to 3 on either side, so they're so bad already that I really couldn't be bothered to bleed my eardrums more to find the difference.
- For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Souls
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 seconds ago
- › FS : Stax SRD-6/SB 27 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 51 seconds ago
- › Beats by Dre question, could you like them if.. 2 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 3 minutes ago
- › 128GB MicroSDXC genuine or fakes? 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)