Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Portability, sound quality, comfort - impossible in one pair of cans?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portability, sound quality, comfort - impossible in one pair of cans?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 

Hello.

 

I while ago I started my search for headphones, that would sound fantastically and could serve both as a portable headphone (for Cowon D2 no amp) and a stationary one for PC gaming and listening. After first results came up and there was no option to try them out, I decided to buy the adored Sennheiser HD 25 1-II.

 

While their sound is fantastic and meets all my requirements for an hiphop, dubstep, electronica enthusiast and a bit of a basshead, I've shortly realised I need to be more specific on my requirements. They are a torture to be worn. I wear glasses all the time, and HD25's clamping force is just too high. Also, I'm beginning to think, that for a portable music listening in the city it is better to have open or at least some kind of hybrid between closed and open headphones - for safety reasons and for not hearing my foot stomps.

 

I will be returning the Sennheisers and I now really need help from experienced users. Comfort along with portability and of course sound quality are tough to find. Luckily my budget isn't that slim - I'm willing to spend around 300$ on a pair. I would prefer ones, that don't need amplifiers, while Cowon D2 is a strong performer.

 

Any thoughts on Ultrasone HFI 2400, AudioTechnica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT1350? I know these have great sound quality, what about comfort (glasses!) and using them on the go?

 

Thanks

smile.gif


Edited by Alkoholik Ivan - 6/4/12 at 10:23am
post #2 of 38

Check out ljokerl's review on the P5 http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

post #3 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkoholik Ivan View Post

Hello.

 

I while ago I started my search for headphones, that would sound fantastically and could serve both as a portable headphone (for Cowon D2 no amp) and a stationary one for PC gaming and listening. After first results came up and there was no option to try them out, I decided to buy the adored Sennheiser HD 25 1-II.

 

While their sound is fantastic and meets all my requirements for an hiphop, dubstep, electronica enthusiast and a bit of a basshead, I've shortly realised I need to be more specific on my requirements. They are a torture to be worn. I wear glasses all the time, and HD25's clamping force is just too high. Also, I'm beginning to think, that for a portable music listening in the city it is better to have open or at least some kind of hybrid between closed and open headphones - for safety reasons and for not hearing my foot stomps.

 

I will be returning the Sennheisers and I now really need help from experienced users. Comfort along with portability and of course sound quality are tough to find. Luckily my budget isn't that slim - I'm willing to spend around 300$ on a pair. I would prefer ones, that don't need amplifiers, while Cowon D2 is a strong performer.

 

Any thoughts on Ultrasone HFI 2400, AudioTechnica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT1350? I know these have ground sound quality, what about comfort (glasses!) and portability?

 

Thanks

smile.gif

 

Have you considered the Shure 840/940?  Larger headphones, but they fold up fairly well for portability and they have detachable cables.  I wouldn't have normally recommended full-sized cans for portable use, but since you have the M50s on the list...

 

I won't say they are comfort kings, but they are certainly going to be worlds above your typical portable on ear solutions...

post #4 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post

Have you considered the Shure 840/940?  Larger headphones, but they fold up fairly well for portability and they have detachable cables.  I wouldn't have normally recommended full-sized cans for portable use, but since you have the M50s on the list...

I won't say they are comfort kings, but they are certainly going to be worlds above your typical portable on ear solutions...

Whew, those are big... If there really is nothing in the portable department, that could match the sound quality of Senns HD 25 1-II, then I'm going to have to broaden my search to the bigger headphones, but I still hope, there is at least something in between portables and full sized cans.


Quote:

Ijokerl's amazing extensive review was the main source for my first list of headphone candidates. However after trying Senns HD 25 1-II for myself, I tend to disagree with Ijokerl's rating of comfort. He rated them 8/10, my rating would be 4/10. And B&W just doesn't have the sound quality I'm looking for.

post #5 of 38

There are many rival the HD-25 1 II soundqualty like V-Moda M80 and you willbe amaze how far portable headphones can go, they are highly detailed in mids, highs almost like openback fullsize headphones and offers deep punchy bass with good isolation. The Philips Fideleo L1, Klipsch Image M40 are also amazing sounding for the price with comfort and isolation.

post #6 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARIM View Post
The Philips Fideleo L1...

Fidelio sure looks fantastic and has some great reviews. Thanks for this tip, for I would have never know about them, if you didn't mention them ;-) I understand, that the Fidelio M1 have not yet been released, but is it known, what's the difference between L1 and M1 in sound quality - tech specs?


Edited by Alkoholik Ivan - 6/4/12 at 12:31pm
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkoholik Ivan View Post

Whew, those are big... If there really is nothing in the portable department, that could match the sound quality of Senns HD 25 1-II, then I'm going to have to broaden my search to the bigger headphones, but I still hope, there is at least something in between portables and full sized cans.

 

 

Yes, they're fairly large, but they were easy to fold up and put into my backpack.

 

I'm looking into the Beyerdynamic DT1350s myself, but I don't think they'll be any more comfortable for you than the Senns.  I've never found an on-ear headphone that I would exactly call "comfortable".  There are just lesser degrees of pain :P

post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post

 

Yes, they're fairly large, but they were easy to fold up and put into my backpack.

 

I'm looking into the Beyerdynamic DT1350s myself, but I don't think they'll be any more comfortable for you than the Senns.  I've never found an on-ear headphone that I would exactly call "comfortable".  There are just lesser degrees of pain :P

 

On ears really are uncomfortable. I've had the DT1350, M80 and HD25 and comfort was the biggest reason I got rid of all of them. Supposedly, the M80 loosens up with time. 

post #9 of 38

Here's going to be my suggestion: I think the Sony ZX700 or Z1000 are fantastic for comfort, sound quality and portability (in that order). 

 

I really recommend them if you are after comfort and especially if you wear glasses because they are a reasonably sized circumaural phone. Unlike the other options, they sit around the ears rather than on top. I've tried the HD25 and the P5 and while they both are pretty comfortable, its still better to have nothing pressing on your ears. Unless your ears are quite large, the Sony's will be very comfortable.

 

Unfortunately they won't be as capable with bassy material as the HD25's or DT1350, but they have quite a nice, warmish/neutral sound. They are also quite vented, with a large port on the rear of the cup, so isolation will be less than the HD25 / P5 / DT1350 / M50.

 

Build quality is great too. Unfortunately because the cups do not fold up, they aren't as easily portable as these others. However, they don't require amping.

 

I do think that there are better options out their in terms of sound, but as an overall portable package the Sony's are very good. The ZX700 is great value, the Z1000 less so unless you really value some stellar build quality / construction material.

post #10 of 38
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all ideas, but I still can't find my prince Charming among headphones, considering all my needs. I really can't wear huge cans, while walking down a street, there has to be some kind of compromise.

post #11 of 38

What about canalphones?  You can't get any more portable than that, and sound quality of a good pair is awesome.  Comfortwise they are better than any full size headphones I tried for me.  Most models isolate sound really well whereas there are also some open back models to choose from if you don't want isolation.Y

 

You don't need to break the bank to get a good pair either, check out Dsnuts' impressions of lots and lots of great cheap canalphones.  My favourite is the Philips SHE3580 that you can get for like $10. http://www.head-fi.org/t/561951/philips-she3580-iem-review-10-giant-killers-er-4p-gathering-dust


Edited by Joe Bloggs - 6/10/12 at 12:01pm
post #12 of 38
Thread Starter 

Budget is not a big issue. I'm sure I can get all I'm asking for in 300$.

I prefer over-head headphones, because they look good, sound bigger, are more comfortable and ear hygiene is not an issue :-D I also have pretty weird shaped ear holes. I've never met any buds, that would fit me.

post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkoholik Ivan View Post

Hello.

 

I while ago I started my search for headphones, that would sound fantastically and could serve both as a portable headphone (for Cowon D2 no amp) and a stationary one for PC gaming and listening. After first results came up and there was no option to try them out, I decided to buy the adored Sennheiser HD 25 1-II.

 

While their sound is fantastic and meets all my requirements for an hiphop, dubstep, electronica enthusiast and a bit of a basshead, I've shortly realised I need to be more specific on my requirements. They are a torture to be worn. I wear glasses all the time, and HD25's clamping force is just too high. Also, I'm beginning to think, that for a portable music listening in the city it is better to have open or at least some kind of hybrid between closed and open headphones - for safety reasons and for not hearing my foot stomps.

 

I will be returning the Sennheisers and I now really need help from experienced users. Comfort along with portability and of course sound quality are tough to find. Luckily my budget isn't that slim - I'm willing to spend around 300$ on a pair. I would prefer ones, that don't need amplifiers, while Cowon D2 is a strong performer.

 

Any thoughts on Ultrasone HFI 2400, AudioTechnica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT1350? I know these have great sound quality, what about comfort (glasses!) and using them on the go?

 

Thanks

smile.gif


May be in the minority here but I've never been able to wear glasses and headphones at the same time.  Tried both the hd25's and bw p5's and just didn't like it.  So now I use the hd25's with no glasses and iems when I need to wear glasses (mainly when I'm working at  a screen).

 

Cheers.

post #14 of 38

If clamping force is the problem you could try "breaking in" the HD-25.  Clamp them on a big pile of books (standing up, of course) or something to stretch them out.

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post


May be in the minority here but I've never been able to wear glasses and headphones at the same time.  Tried both the hd25's and bw p5's and just didn't like it.  So now I use the hd25's with no glasses and iems when I need to wear glasses (mainly when I'm working at  a screen).

 

Cheers.

 

X1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Portability, sound quality, comfort - impossible in one pair of cans?