I've bought the HD600s with fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iphone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the ipod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iphone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
- productSennheiser HD-600tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Need Budget AMP worth to power Sennheiser HD600, HD800, HiFiMan-500, DT880... ??? Last post on Yesterday at 6:48 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help! Budget AMP worth of Sennheiser HD600, HD800, HiFiMan-500, DT880... ??? Last post on 12/17/13 at 6:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- O2+ODAC: Should I buy? Last post on 12/14/13 at 12:52pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- First time poster Last post on 12/14/13 at 11:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Modi to a Bifrost with ld mk iii Last post on 12/14/13 at 4:32am in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/16/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?post #1 of 176/3/12 at 12:52amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 176/3/12 at 12:57ampost #3 of 176/3/12 at 11:47am
I haven't found the HD600s to be hard to power or really benefit from a better sounding source. The HD600s and 650s are kinda veiled in that they aren't as resolving as a DT880 or HD800 which I personally considered an upgrade, the Senns are very smooth.post #4 of 176/3/12 at 12:32pmpost #5 of 176/3/12 at 12:39pm
The better AMPs/DAC like Yulong D100, Mini i+Matrix M Stage, Nuforce HDP will improve the soundquality, i listened HD600 with higherend DAC/AMPs and they are superb mids focused sounding headphones(works great for Rock, Indie, Instrumental pop, Jazz).post #6 of 176/3/12 at 1:10pmpost #7 of 176/3/12 at 10:55pmThread Starterpost #8 of 176/3/12 at 11:07pmopamp rolling on the fiio e9, but you might have a latest production fiio e9 with soldered down opamps. you might want to crack it open for a look before buying new opamp.
Edited by Nagasaki_Kid - 6/3/12 at 11:08pmpost #9 of 176/4/12 at 12:41amQuote:
What is your budget?post #10 of 176/4/12 at 8:46am
My $0.02, from an HD650 perspective: Upgrade the amp first. Preferably tube/hybrid, but SS will do if that's what you prefer. That's the first major upgrade. DAC & transport second. Make sure you're streaming good quality audio over a good interface to a good DAC. The DAC is what gives you your fine detail resolution, and HD6xx can resolve quite a bit of detail. Once you have amp & DAC taken care of, and have decent cabling between then (BJC will do well, Monoprice's premium is good in a pinch if you don't mind highly sitff cabling.) After both of those are taken care of (and assuming good music sources: lossless, etc.) then the final jump is the headphone cable. It's the worst value for the money proposition of the three. The performance shift is slight, can only be revealed if the source gear is good enough, and costs a lot of money for the shift. But it's the final touch on an already good setup.
Your headphones can scale a long way. The amp can be a major improvement. The DAC will seem like a minor improvement, but can be significant and recording dependent. The cable is fine tuning, but if everything else is in good shape can be the difference between "wow" and "WOW".Quote:
I would... HD600 & HD650 are legendary for their ability to scale with better gear. There's no less reason to worry about your gear with HD6xx than HD8xx, except that HD800x may scale even beyond into the truly esoteric stuff.post #11 of 176/4/12 at 10:53ampost #12 of 176/4/12 at 11:04amQuote:Originally Posted by TheChosen0ne
I've bought the HD600s with Fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iPhone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the iPod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iPhone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
I'm going to guess you can not improve the sound much without spending at least $300 (or more) for a DAC and Amp.
For a DAC, the SMSL AD-1955 DAC sold on eBay.
For an (tube) Amp. The little Dot II MKII or a Little Dot MKIII
So $270 to $330 total.post #13 of 176/4/12 at 11:08amQuote:
+1 here. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a nice OTL amp for them (I recommend the Bottlehead Crack), or get an HD650 cable. Heck, I braided a cable for my HD600 out of some Mogami and it turned out awesome, sounded great too!post #14 of 176/4/12 at 12:20pmQuote:
The HD650 cable is a nice upgrade from the HD600 cable. Not sure if the OP believes in cables but there is a subtle increase bass punch in the HD650 cable. If you don't believe in cables, at least the HD650 is sturdier and looks better =)post #15 of 176/4/12 at 4:34pm
I would personalty get an other headphone to see, if they don't match better my taste, or at least something that beats the hd600 on a particular kind of music (example: techno) . And once you've experimented a lot, you might just get a high end headphone that match your tastes.
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 6/4/12 at 4:35pm
- How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 14 seconds ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 18 seconds ago
- › Unofficial V-MODA XL Pads thread. 20 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 55 seconds ago
- › Cello music! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Listened to old Sennheiser 595 and looking for something similar :) 1 minute ago
- › Best Headphones under $100 Without an Amp? 1 minute ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe