I've bought the HD600s with fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iphone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the ipod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iphone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- My Personal Review on the Sennheiser ie80 Last post on 11/15/14 at 4:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Bose QC25 review (long flight experience included) Last post on 11/19/14 at 4:34pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD600 for trade with HD650 or something else. Last post on 11/11/14 at 2:01pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Help me spot the sonic signature I am after. Beyer bass, Senn mids, non-harsh highs Last post on 11/12/14 at 11:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a close and portable version of HD 650 Last post on Yesterday at 5:15 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Review of the CEntrance HiFi M8 LX LX model = Optical input The CEntrance HiFi M8 has a lot of connection and feature combinations. This is the LX / XLR version. What is the...
Before I start my review, I wold like to Thank Penon Audio for providing me with a review loaner of DITA Audio The Answer headphones in exchange for my honest opinion. I tested and reviewed a...
Integrated amplifiers. We all know what they are, right? The classic definition involves having a power amplifier and a preamplifier integrated into the same chassis. Hence the name. It...
Will keep this review short but these are my impressions after a week of listening to a range of FLAC and a few HD files of every main genre of music: Sources used: FiiO X5 Sony...
Take the well received Akg K545, and add 50 dollars for a mic, amp, nfc, battery and Bluetooth capability. Is it worth it? TLDR, if you don’t have an amp and/or want bluetooth, put this in your top...
How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't found the HD600s to be hard to power or really benefit from a better sounding source. The HD600s and 650s are kinda veiled in that they aren't as resolving as a DT880 or HD800 which I personally considered an upgrade, the Senns are very smooth.
The better AMPs/DAC like Yulong D100, Mini i+Matrix M Stage, Nuforce HDP will improve the soundquality, i listened HD600 with higherend DAC/AMPs and they are superb mids focused sounding headphones(works great for Rock, Indie, Instrumental pop, Jazz).
Edited by Nagasaki_Kid - 6/3/12 at 11:08pm
What is your budget?
My $0.02, from an HD650 perspective: Upgrade the amp first. Preferably tube/hybrid, but SS will do if that's what you prefer. That's the first major upgrade. DAC & transport second. Make sure you're streaming good quality audio over a good interface to a good DAC. The DAC is what gives you your fine detail resolution, and HD6xx can resolve quite a bit of detail. Once you have amp & DAC taken care of, and have decent cabling between then (BJC will do well, Monoprice's premium is good in a pinch if you don't mind highly sitff cabling.) After both of those are taken care of (and assuming good music sources: lossless, etc.) then the final jump is the headphone cable. It's the worst value for the money proposition of the three. The performance shift is slight, can only be revealed if the source gear is good enough, and costs a lot of money for the shift. But it's the final touch on an already good setup.
Your headphones can scale a long way. The amp can be a major improvement. The DAC will seem like a minor improvement, but can be significant and recording dependent. The cable is fine tuning, but if everything else is in good shape can be the difference between "wow" and "WOW".
I would... HD600 & HD650 are legendary for their ability to scale with better gear. There's no less reason to worry about your gear with HD6xx than HD8xx, except that HD800x may scale even beyond into the truly esoteric stuff.
I've bought the HD600s with Fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iPhone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the iPod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iPhone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
I'm going to guess you can not improve the sound much without spending at least $300 (or more) for a DAC and Amp.
For a DAC, the SMSL AD-1955 DAC sold on eBay.
For an (tube) Amp. The little Dot II MKII or a Little Dot MKIII
So $270 to $330 total.
+1 here. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a nice OTL amp for them (I recommend the Bottlehead Crack), or get an HD650 cable. Heck, I braided a cable for my HD600 out of some Mogami and it turned out awesome, sounded great too!
The HD650 cable is a nice upgrade from the HD600 cable. Not sure if the OP believes in cables but there is a subtle increase bass punch in the HD650 cable. If you don't believe in cables, at least the HD650 is sturdier and looks better =)
I would personalty get an other headphone to see, if they don't match better my taste, or at least something that beats the hd600 on a particular kind of music (example: techno) . And once you've experimented a lot, you might just get a high end headphone that match your tastes.
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 6/4/12 at 4:35pm
- How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
- › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread 20 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › Some HOT Science From Synergistic Research 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW DannyBai's take on the new Yamaha EPH... 3 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 7 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 8 minutes ago
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by CasperBxl
- › DITA Audio The Answer by twister6
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by suman134
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by mlthelasher
- › Takstar TS-671 by paal0
- › Geben iDA-1 Portable Amp/DAC for iDevices by JoeDoe
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)