I've bought the HD600s with fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iphone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the ipod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iphone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Best upgrade from my senn hd558 Last post on Yesterday at 3:17 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- WTT: Sennheiser HD600 for your Fidelio X2 or SRH1440/1840 Last post on Today at 7:32 am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Need help to find my path - hd650/600 vs K7xx vs Fidelio x2 vs Ath-Msr7 ? Last post on Today at 12:30 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendation for Tube Amp Last post on Yesterday at 1:35 pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Ipad/iphone friendly semi-portable DAC/AMP -with HD600s Last post on 1/22/15 at 7:41pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Ever since picking these IEMs up, they have been my go-to pair for almost every genre of music. They provide a great balance of neutrality paired with extremely forward and lush mids which do not...
This is a very impressive can for less than 1000.00! If this was a 1300-1500.00 can, I wouldn't say it was overpriced. Especially given what some of the audeze and hd800 cost. Now I wouldn't say...
Hello Head-Fi It's been a while since I've participated here since I more or less found my end game and now I only have the urge to change my music player. Today I'll be writing about the AKG...
How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't found the HD600s to be hard to power or really benefit from a better sounding source. The HD600s and 650s are kinda veiled in that they aren't as resolving as a DT880 or HD800 which I personally considered an upgrade, the Senns are very smooth.
The better AMPs/DAC like Yulong D100, Mini i+Matrix M Stage, Nuforce HDP will improve the soundquality, i listened HD600 with higherend DAC/AMPs and they are superb mids focused sounding headphones(works great for Rock, Indie, Instrumental pop, Jazz).
Edited by Nagasaki_Kid - 6/3/12 at 11:08pm
What is your budget?
My $0.02, from an HD650 perspective: Upgrade the amp first. Preferably tube/hybrid, but SS will do if that's what you prefer. That's the first major upgrade. DAC & transport second. Make sure you're streaming good quality audio over a good interface to a good DAC. The DAC is what gives you your fine detail resolution, and HD6xx can resolve quite a bit of detail. Once you have amp & DAC taken care of, and have decent cabling between then (BJC will do well, Monoprice's premium is good in a pinch if you don't mind highly sitff cabling.) After both of those are taken care of (and assuming good music sources: lossless, etc.) then the final jump is the headphone cable. It's the worst value for the money proposition of the three. The performance shift is slight, can only be revealed if the source gear is good enough, and costs a lot of money for the shift. But it's the final touch on an already good setup.
Your headphones can scale a long way. The amp can be a major improvement. The DAC will seem like a minor improvement, but can be significant and recording dependent. The cable is fine tuning, but if everything else is in good shape can be the difference between "wow" and "WOW".
I would... HD600 & HD650 are legendary for their ability to scale with better gear. There's no less reason to worry about your gear with HD6xx than HD8xx, except that HD800x may scale even beyond into the truly esoteric stuff.
I've bought the HD600s with Fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iPhone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the iPod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iPhone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
I'm going to guess you can not improve the sound much without spending at least $300 (or more) for a DAC and Amp.
For a DAC, the SMSL AD-1955 DAC sold on eBay.
For an (tube) Amp. The little Dot II MKII or a Little Dot MKIII
So $270 to $330 total.
+1 here. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a nice OTL amp for them (I recommend the Bottlehead Crack), or get an HD650 cable. Heck, I braided a cable for my HD600 out of some Mogami and it turned out awesome, sounded great too!
The HD650 cable is a nice upgrade from the HD600 cable. Not sure if the OP believes in cables but there is a subtle increase bass punch in the HD650 cable. If you don't believe in cables, at least the HD650 is sturdier and looks better =)
I would personalty get an other headphone to see, if they don't match better my taste, or at least something that beats the hd600 on a particular kind of music (example: techno) . And once you've experimented a lot, you might just get a high end headphone that match your tastes.
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 6/4/12 at 4:35pm
- How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
- › Sony CD3000 Appreciation Thread 11 seconds ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › Thinksound Rain2 to pour in ears soon: Impressions and Discussions... 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 4 minutes ago
- › FS: Special Edition Bottlehead Crack with Speedball Upgrade 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 (& Plus) & iOS 8 Sound Quality Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)