I've bought the HD600s with fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iphone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the ipod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iphone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Can the Audioquest DragonFly Red drive a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's from an iPhone? Last post on 6/17/16 at 4:50pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need A Middle Ground Last post on 6/3/15 at 10:39am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Fostex TH500RP Last post on 6/20/16 at 7:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Repair or replace broken HD600? Last post on 3/11/15 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
Bluedio Vinyl Plus Bluetooth Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Like HD471i but closed and produce better resonance, better volume, clarity on treble, but none of these descriptions actually help make it sound good..to be honest. And to be honest, t40rp mk2...
Firstly I would like to thank 1More for sending me this sample to review, I always try to write honest reviews, these received over 50hrs of burn-in before review, no differences were...
How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't found the HD600s to be hard to power or really benefit from a better sounding source. The HD600s and 650s are kinda veiled in that they aren't as resolving as a DT880 or HD800 which I personally considered an upgrade, the Senns are very smooth.
The better AMPs/DAC like Yulong D100, Mini i+Matrix M Stage, Nuforce HDP will improve the soundquality, i listened HD600 with higherend DAC/AMPs and they are superb mids focused sounding headphones(works great for Rock, Indie, Instrumental pop, Jazz).
Edited by Nagasaki_Kid - 6/3/12 at 11:08pm
What is your budget?
My $0.02, from an HD650 perspective: Upgrade the amp first. Preferably tube/hybrid, but SS will do if that's what you prefer. That's the first major upgrade. DAC & transport second. Make sure you're streaming good quality audio over a good interface to a good DAC. The DAC is what gives you your fine detail resolution, and HD6xx can resolve quite a bit of detail. Once you have amp & DAC taken care of, and have decent cabling between then (BJC will do well, Monoprice's premium is good in a pinch if you don't mind highly sitff cabling.) After both of those are taken care of (and assuming good music sources: lossless, etc.) then the final jump is the headphone cable. It's the worst value for the money proposition of the three. The performance shift is slight, can only be revealed if the source gear is good enough, and costs a lot of money for the shift. But it's the final touch on an already good setup.
Your headphones can scale a long way. The amp can be a major improvement. The DAC will seem like a minor improvement, but can be significant and recording dependent. The cable is fine tuning, but if everything else is in good shape can be the difference between "wow" and "WOW".
I would... HD600 & HD650 are legendary for their ability to scale with better gear. There's no less reason to worry about your gear with HD6xx than HD8xx, except that HD800x may scale even beyond into the truly esoteric stuff.
I've bought the HD600s with Fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iPhone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the iPod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iPhone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
I'm going to guess you can not improve the sound much without spending at least $300 (or more) for a DAC and Amp.
For a DAC, the SMSL AD-1955 DAC sold on eBay.
For an (tube) Amp. The little Dot II MKII or a Little Dot MKIII
So $270 to $330 total.
+1 here. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a nice OTL amp for them (I recommend the Bottlehead Crack), or get an HD650 cable. Heck, I braided a cable for my HD600 out of some Mogami and it turned out awesome, sounded great too!
The HD650 cable is a nice upgrade from the HD600 cable. Not sure if the OP believes in cables but there is a subtle increase bass punch in the HD650 cable. If you don't believe in cables, at least the HD650 is sturdier and looks better =)
I would personalty get an other headphone to see, if they don't match better my taste, or at least something that beats the hd600 on a particular kind of music (example: techno) . And once you've experimented a lot, you might just get a high end headphone that match your tastes.
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 6/4/12 at 4:35pm
- How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
- › Life after Yggdrasil? 8 seconds ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Fido x3ii: A+ condition & 64gb card, everything minus the silicon case 2 minutes ago
- › Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 6 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 6 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › German Maestro GMP 8.40 D Professional by mien
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...