I've bought the HD600s with fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iphone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the ipod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iphone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need A Middle Ground Last post on 6/3/15 at 10:39am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Fostex TH500RP Last post on 3/8/16 at 10:28am in Headphones (full-size)
- Repair or replace broken HD600? Last post on 3/11/15 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- HD650s are so cheap? Last post on 2/10/15 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
Intro TL;DR: The Brainwavz XF200 is, in and of itself, an excellent sports IEM that will go the extra mile with you and then some. Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora...
I must first and foremost give a large and heartfelt thank you to secondipity for reaching out to me and asking if I would be interested in reviewing some products offered by them. This is...
ZMF OMNI - REVIEW Zach and Luke are Ortho Docs Disclaimer: No mercy… though the Omni is merciful I really think the Omni can hold up to scrutiny very well. While I have been a long time...
After deciding that I’d need about $1K to get the sound I was after, I was getting frustrated with the IEM world. After all, I could just buy the OPPO PM3 for $400, call it a day, and deal with the...
How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't found the HD600s to be hard to power or really benefit from a better sounding source. The HD600s and 650s are kinda veiled in that they aren't as resolving as a DT880 or HD800 which I personally considered an upgrade, the Senns are very smooth.
The better AMPs/DAC like Yulong D100, Mini i+Matrix M Stage, Nuforce HDP will improve the soundquality, i listened HD600 with higherend DAC/AMPs and they are superb mids focused sounding headphones(works great for Rock, Indie, Instrumental pop, Jazz).
Edited by Nagasaki_Kid - 6/3/12 at 11:08pm
What is your budget?
My $0.02, from an HD650 perspective: Upgrade the amp first. Preferably tube/hybrid, but SS will do if that's what you prefer. That's the first major upgrade. DAC & transport second. Make sure you're streaming good quality audio over a good interface to a good DAC. The DAC is what gives you your fine detail resolution, and HD6xx can resolve quite a bit of detail. Once you have amp & DAC taken care of, and have decent cabling between then (BJC will do well, Monoprice's premium is good in a pinch if you don't mind highly sitff cabling.) After both of those are taken care of (and assuming good music sources: lossless, etc.) then the final jump is the headphone cable. It's the worst value for the money proposition of the three. The performance shift is slight, can only be revealed if the source gear is good enough, and costs a lot of money for the shift. But it's the final touch on an already good setup.
Your headphones can scale a long way. The amp can be a major improvement. The DAC will seem like a minor improvement, but can be significant and recording dependent. The cable is fine tuning, but if everything else is in good shape can be the difference between "wow" and "WOW".
I would... HD600 & HD650 are legendary for their ability to scale with better gear. There's no less reason to worry about your gear with HD6xx than HD8xx, except that HD800x may scale even beyond into the truly esoteric stuff.
I've bought the HD600s with Fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iPhone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the iPod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iPhone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
I'm going to guess you can not improve the sound much without spending at least $300 (or more) for a DAC and Amp.
For a DAC, the SMSL AD-1955 DAC sold on eBay.
For an (tube) Amp. The little Dot II MKII or a Little Dot MKIII
So $270 to $330 total.
+1 here. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a nice OTL amp for them (I recommend the Bottlehead Crack), or get an HD650 cable. Heck, I braided a cable for my HD600 out of some Mogami and it turned out awesome, sounded great too!
The HD650 cable is a nice upgrade from the HD600 cable. Not sure if the OP believes in cables but there is a subtle increase bass punch in the HD650 cable. If you don't believe in cables, at least the HD650 is sturdier and looks better =)
I would personalty get an other headphone to see, if they don't match better my taste, or at least something that beats the hd600 on a particular kind of music (example: techno) . And once you've experimented a lot, you might just get a high end headphone that match your tastes.
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 6/4/12 at 4:35pm
- How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 7 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 12 seconds ago
- › The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread 22 seconds ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 49 seconds ago
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 53 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Best 2.1 PC speakers for music and games under $200 2 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio – A force to be reckoned with 3 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz XFIT XF-200 In-Ear Sport Earbuds Noise Isolating... by thatBeatsguy
- › SONY MDRZX330BT/B Sony MDR ZX330BT - Headset - on-ear - wireless -... by Army-Firedawg
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by grizzlybeast
- › Schiit Gungnir by Aornic
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by meringo
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Aerosphere
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by FortisFlyer75
- › Unique Melody UM Maestro 12 driver IEM by shotgunshane
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Kon Peki
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by k4rstar
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse