I've bought the HD600s with fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iphone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the ipod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iphone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
Related Forum Threads
- FS: Sennheiser HD600 and Audio-Technica AD2000 (both recabled and with extras!) Last post on Today at 1:55 pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Sennheiser HD 600 question Last post on Yesterday at 11:20 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [FT] Sennheiser HD600 Last post on Yesterday at 1:27 am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Sennheiser HD 600 with upgrade cable option (Cardas Replacement Cable Available) Price Dropped！ Last post on 5/20/13 at 2:26am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Sennheiser HD600 open back headphone Last post on 5/19/13 at 7:52pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Edited on 5/13/13
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
I agree w most reviews that these does not warrant the $499 MSRP. (Then rather opt for D5k, D7k). BUT - at the +-$230 range I got them at (Amazon warehouse) - these are VERY good value for...
Disclaimer- This review has been written based on past 2 year’s observations. I am not a part of the audio industry or trade and I represent no one but myself, and this review is written...
Introduction The easiest way to explain the Sennheiser CX-150's is that they do what you can reasonably expect. You can't really expect much from a pair of sub-50 dollar IEM's, and frankly, I...
Who/what? I'd like to thank Rhapsodio for sending the 2v1 our way for a tour, along with the Shozy amp. Australia isn't exactly a hot electronics place First off - Rhapsodio is a young IEM...
The below review is a summary of a full comparison of the AD1000X to the AD900X and Sony MA900 found...
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I haven't found the HD600s to be hard to power or really benefit from a better sounding source. The HD600s and 650s are kinda veiled in that they aren't as resolving as a DT880 or HD800 which I personally considered an upgrade, the Senns are very smooth.
The better AMPs/DAC like Yulong D100, Mini i+Matrix M Stage, Nuforce HDP will improve the soundquality, i listened HD600 with higherend DAC/AMPs and they are superb mids focused sounding headphones(works great for Rock, Indie, Instrumental pop, Jazz).
Edited by Nagasaki_Kid - 6/3/12 at 11:08pm
What is your budget?
My $0.02, from an HD650 perspective: Upgrade the amp first. Preferably tube/hybrid, but SS will do if that's what you prefer. That's the first major upgrade. DAC & transport second. Make sure you're streaming good quality audio over a good interface to a good DAC. The DAC is what gives you your fine detail resolution, and HD6xx can resolve quite a bit of detail. Once you have amp & DAC taken care of, and have decent cabling between then (BJC will do well, Monoprice's premium is good in a pinch if you don't mind highly sitff cabling.) After both of those are taken care of (and assuming good music sources: lossless, etc.) then the final jump is the headphone cable. It's the worst value for the money proposition of the three. The performance shift is slight, can only be revealed if the source gear is good enough, and costs a lot of money for the shift. But it's the final touch on an already good setup.
Your headphones can scale a long way. The amp can be a major improvement. The DAC will seem like a minor improvement, but can be significant and recording dependent. The cable is fine tuning, but if everything else is in good shape can be the difference between "wow" and "WOW".
I would... HD600 & HD650 are legendary for their ability to scale with better gear. There's no less reason to worry about your gear with HD6xx than HD8xx, except that HD800x may scale even beyond into the truly esoteric stuff.
I've bought the HD600s with Fiio e17+e9 which is my first high quality headphones about 5 months ago and im super happy with the sound quality but just curious what amp/dac is better and what are the other stuff I should change to get better sound quality but don't cost a fortune to get? Last week I got the iPhone 4s which is my first smart phone. I used the iPod touch before this. Just for fun I used the earphone that it came with the iPhone and it reminded me how crappy those earphones were. I couldn't believe I once thought that I didn't need to get any other earphone/headphone because I was satisfied with those damn apple earphones!
I'm going to guess you can not improve the sound much without spending at least $300 (or more) for a DAC and Amp.
For a DAC, the SMSL AD-1955 DAC sold on eBay.
For an (tube) Amp. The little Dot II MKII or a Little Dot MKIII
So $270 to $330 total.
+1 here. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a nice OTL amp for them (I recommend the Bottlehead Crack), or get an HD650 cable. Heck, I braided a cable for my HD600 out of some Mogami and it turned out awesome, sounded great too!
The HD650 cable is a nice upgrade from the HD600 cable. Not sure if the OP believes in cables but there is a subtle increase bass punch in the HD650 cable. If you don't believe in cables, at least the HD650 is sturdier and looks better =)
I would personalty get an other headphone to see, if they don't match better my taste, or at least something that beats the hd600 on a particular kind of music (example: techno) . And once you've experimented a lot, you might just get a high end headphone that match your tastes.
Edited by extrabigmehdi - 6/4/12 at 4:35pm
- How should I improve sound quality for Sennheiser HD 600 without spending a lot of money?
- › VSonic VSD1/VSD1S - Any Reviews Yet? 9 seconds ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 55 seconds ago
- › What media player do you use ? 1 minute ago
- › Dilemma: Should I not believe any reviewers who talk about cables... 1 minute ago
- › Selling LFF Paradox 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver... 2 minutes ago
- › Guide to the Balanced AKG K701 recabling 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Sennheiser HD600 and Audio-Technica AD2000 (both recabled and... 2 minutes ago
- › C&C BH - As New! 3 minutes ago
- › philips fidelio x1 vs hifiman he-400 (stronger natural midrange?) 4 minutes ago
- › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones by julian67
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by GSARider
- › Denon AH-D600 by johangrb
- › Sennheiser HD 250 Linear II by xEcuToR
- › Sennheiser CX150 Ear-Canal Phones by BadMoose
- › Rhapsodio RDB+ 2v1 by svyr
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by a_recording
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe