Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1 - Page 2

post #16 of 208

i see... anyways thanks for sharing :) I love the sound of the stock T1... but am willing to try this mod.. :D will try it asap.. and maybe i can compare with stock T1s.. have some friends here with T1s :) I hope my butterfingers don't hit me now! 


Edited by jkwanness - 6/3/12 at 11:39am
post #17 of 208
Thread Starter 

The T1 is very durable and so are the drivers. You could even cut up little strips of adhesive felt and stick it in to do a partial mod.

post #18 of 208

The only headphones I've dared tinker with have been the $30 JVC RX700s and driver dampening made a big difference, I wonder however why this is never applied by the manufacturers? We see it in speakers so why not in headphones?

 

When a couple cents worth of felt can improve a thousand dollar headphone I am left questioning if either the improvement is audibly real or the manufacturers simply don't know what there doing...

post #19 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post

The T1 is very durable and so are the drivers. You could even cut up little strips of adhesive felt and stick it in to do a partial mod.

How much would you charge for this service?  I have a pair of T70's and T1's.

post #20 of 208
Thread Starter 

I would only ask for the cost of parts and shipping. I think the T70's may benefit a lot more than the T1's as they have an echo chamber in there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

How much would you charge for this service?  I have a pair of T70's and T1's.

post #21 of 208
Thread Starter 

Maybe they didn't take the housing into consideration? Who knows. But it does indded work. Look at the HD800 with that felt damping mod. The headphone itself is not properly dampened at all.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post

The only headphones I've dared tinker with have been the $30 JVC RX700s and driver dampening made a big difference, I wonder however why this is never applied by the manufacturers? We see it in speakers so why not in headphones?

 

When a couple cents worth of felt can improve a thousand dollar headphone I am left questioning if either the improvement is audibly real or the manufacturers simply don't know what there doing...

post #22 of 208

Sorry, link for the HD800 dampen mod? please and thank you!

post #23 of 208

I think I will give this a go when I find some adhesive felt.

post #24 of 208

I tried the mod but felt it took too much of the air away from the presentation so I took some of it out and I think I struck a good balance with a little less than half of the back of the cup felted. Not under the driver but the back. Here is a picture that I photoshopped to illustrate.

 

Matrixnobu Beyer Mod.jpg

post #25 of 208
i did the T1 mod already.. it was pretty easy after figuring out what to do and how to do it.. lol...

initial impressions, I did the mod only to one side to try out... with the mod its a lot smoother.. less aggressive in a sense (not sure if over dampened) but no lost in treble no added warmth bass or muffledness.. I tested this with swapping L-R channels with foobar back and forth..

with both left and right mod on, I can confirm its smoothness... the treble is still there, but instead of mid-high lower treble spike, the spike is smoothened out to a increasing / slop... really smooths out the treble.. 

the mids is also smoother too, prolly due to the mid-high spike being smoothened out.. can't say much about the mids though (my listening inexperience..) 

as for bass, it is tighter, and maybe a little better defined textured?? it also seems to play a bit deeper, just a bit.. -edit yes better defined indeed, can hear distinctively the bass notes.. 

for the resonance part, I cannot tell a difference (yet).. also prolly due to my inexperience.. for me resonance is noticeable with trumpets, harmonicas, vocals and violins that plays high/sharp tones and notes that gives you that sharp irritated feeling... So far with the mod that effect is still present, but lesser.. i don't know i could be entirely wrong with the resonance thing..

funny thing is the volume of my listening is higher with the mod.. a good half o'clock step increase.. but this could be due to me listening to something new (higher volume resistance to discern differences) and also due to my dad snoring in the background -.- LOL..

however the initial impression of the mod is good smile.gif will give it a few days to settle down, and would like to compare to stock T1s.. smile.gif
 
thanks Zombie_X for posting this up! :D 
 
 
post #26 of 208
Thread Starter 

Going too thick will over dampen the sound. I found that just 1/8" think or 1/4" to be enough. I tried 1/2" thick and it killed the soundstage a lot and the sound became really muffled.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixnobu View Post

I tried the mod but felt it took too much of the air away from the presentation so I took some of it out and I think I struck a good balance with a little less than half of the back of the cup felted. Not under the driver but the back. Here is a picture that I photoshopped to illustrate.

 

Matrixnobu Beyer Mod.jpg

post #27 of 208

Do you the dt990 premium 600 could benefit at all from it? I haven't gotten mine yet, but if the treble is a little too bright for me I'll keep an eye on this thread if you guys think it could improve it. Also I realize the t1 has different driver tech so that's why I'm not sure if this could work for it. Thanks.

post #28 of 208
Thread Starter 

The DT990 already has felt damping in the housing actually, but using less felt that is denser maybe a better choice.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillDrivers63 View Post

Do you the dt990 premium 600 could benefit at all from it? I haven't gotten mine yet, but if the treble is a little too bright for me I'll keep an eye on this thread if you guys think it could improve it. Also I realize the t1 has different driver tech so that's why I'm not sure if this could work for it. Thanks.

post #29 of 208

Alright thanks, I knew I'd get a knowledgable response. I'll see how I feel about the 990 when a get it in ~2 weeks and maybe I'll mess around with it.

 

was not trying to go off topic, Please carry on with the T1 discussion!

post #30 of 208
Thread Starter 

It's not off topic because it's about the damping itself.

 

Speaking of the damping, I bet the DT770 and T70 would really benefit from it, perhaps even the T5p. Seeing as they are an echo chamber, the felt should cut that down all quite a bit. 

 

The purpose of this mod was to tame that "edge" that people described on the T1, and the felt did it's job. it did it really well!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillDrivers63 View Post

Alright thanks, I knew I'd get a knowledgable response. I'll see how I feel about the 990 when a get it in ~2 weeks and maybe I'll mess around with it.

 

was not trying to go off topic, Please carry on with the T1 discussion!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [GUIDE] How To Properly Dampen Your Beyerdynamic T1