I’ve been spending all my waking hours “researching” for a perfect set of comfortable plush headphones it’s becoming a little bit of an addiction. I’ve scoured the net and there are so many “What headphones should I get?” posts that I feel lost. I just want a COMFORTABLE set that sounds good, darn it!
I’ve been looking at over-ear closed headphones. I have a Sennheiser HD380 Pro now, and it’s clamping my head pretty hard (and I have a small head but big ears). The sound is bass-heavy/full and sometimes a little grainy. It sounds OK to me (I’m not an audiophile, just appreciate clear detailed sounds/music). As such, I’m now on the lookout again. I mainly listen to Pop/Rock 50% of the time. The rest are split to Classical, Hiphop, Reggae, and movies. I’m not using an amp right now, just through a laptop at home.
Here are the unusual suspects I’ve been eyeing based on comfort and would love some feedback on your ears-on experience with them. Other suggestions are also welcomed.
- AKG K550 – I tried these on and the comfort level was amazing. However, I’m concerned about the seal and if it will get loose later on. Sound was “fun” but had hoped the cable was detachable or coiled.
- Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 32 OHM – May be a blind buy, I’ve heard how amazingly comfy they are and the sound quality seems to be up there too. After some research, the 32 Ohm is an issue that'll affect sound quality
- Audio Technica A900X – Tried these and they seem comfortable I’m just not too sure about those support wings. Do they actually support well?
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 80-Ohms – It was these or the SRH840. They are amazingly comfortable, but was somewhat turned-off by the cables and harder to drive without an AMP. I may pick them later up if the SRH840 don't work out and I upgrade.
- Ultrasone HFI-780 - Newly added. How are these in terms of comfort?
- Ultrasone HFI-580 - Same deal as the 780. What do you think?
- Shure SRH840 - The Shure SRH840 won! The $130 sale was too hard to pass on and they're easier to drive. But I may go to the DT770 if these don't cut it.
I’m looking more into the Beyers but their over-ear full size line is so confusing. I don’t know which way is up or down. They have like 3 different Ohm versions for each model that I don’t know where to start.
I've noticed there is a huge tendency for people on forums to suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Denon D2000, and Sony MDR-V6. But I’m not really into those usual suspects as it seem like a mob mentality that those gets suggested. There’s a theory that the M50 has changed since its original version (color box). The D2000 leaks and I’m not a fan of the 2 wires. I actually owned the V6, and while it sounded good, it was too uncomfortable to wear for an extended time.
So can you help this newbie out? My Sennheiser 380s are crushing my head at this moment. Thank you.
Edited by phamtasm - 6/3/12 at 11:10pm