Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012) - Page 16

post #226 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post

got mine a week ago from 1saleaday for 55$ shipped. love the sound, i think these sound better than the brainwavz hm5/fischer clones. 

I just hate the cheap ass cord and volume control! 

these are also too hard to drive for a portable player, but fine through a small amp

I agree, these have fazed out my Jaycars as my go to cans. I prefer the sound more than the clones, except with acoustic, jazz, and soundtracks (bigger soundstage).

post #227 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post

got mine a week ago from 1saleaday for 55$ shipped. love the sound, i think these sound better than the brainwavz hm5/fischer clones. 

I just hate the cheap ass cord and volume control! 

these are also too hard to drive for a portable player, but fine through a small amp

Ourfpshero,

since you're a ph34r.gif seasoned Headfier,

could you please recommend any portable? Fiio maybe? I'm digging for a proper Uptown driver, 

maybe FiiO E17 or E07K, hoping one of them could also be used as DAC with PC and notebook.

E17 would be my top limit on budget.

tx, 

-xezi

post #228 of 365

Anyone know how these compare to the Denon AH-D1100s? :)

post #229 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by xezi View Post

Ourfpshero,

since you're a ph34r.gif seasoned Headfier,

could you please recommend any portable? Fiio maybe? I'm digging for a proper Uptown driver, 

maybe FiiO E17 or E07K, hoping one of them could also be used as DAC with PC and notebook.

E17 would be my top limit on budget.

tx, 

-xezi

havent heard those fiios, but this just needs a small amp. it its only for pc, try a xonar u3. i have one for my notebook, very very noise free and works as a small amp. the gaming software like dolby headphone and eq are a bonus. 

post #230 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourfpshero View Post

havent heard those fiios, but this just needs a small amp. it its only for pc, try a xonar u3. i have one for my notebook, very very noise free and works as a small amp. the gaming software like dolby headphone and eq are a bonus. 

Yes, that's my point exactly. I've read a recent review, stating that the xonar u3 was in fact worse than some

top level, if one could say so, realtek onboard chips (like 889 and 892 - the one I own). Nevertheless it was

far better than my really, really, terrible acer notebook native sound. That would be a good, but a bit restrict

investment return, it seems. 

 

That's why I'm a bit reticent about just buying a Fiio out. Not sure if and what would be the effective

SQ gain.  For a $150 E17, I'd expect more palpable, stronger results.

 

Tx.

post #231 of 365
I find that the Uptowns sound great through my $20 ELE DAC off of my laptop. It brightens them up a touch, and also amplifies them nicely.
post #232 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

I find that the Uptowns sound great through my $20 ELE DAC off of my laptop. It brightens them up a touch, and also amplifies them nicely.

It the specs are for real, this is a steal. Never heard of it... will dig some info.

 

Can you bear to listen to it without equalization? Meaning, is it a dac dependant

of eq to sound good, in your opinion?

 

Also, could you talk about your Uptown general toughts till now, SQ wise?

On my low end systems, I've noticed till now I've enjoyed much -much- more

some tracks than others, what I find very odd. For example, I've heard

lots of jazz, rock, new age music, but I'm having a real blast with

a game soundtrack flac. Didn't see that coming. 

 

tx


Edited by xezi - 2/2/13 at 5:18pm
post #233 of 365
post #234 of 365

they beat the m50 in every aspect,well,except for sturdiness...i've tried both of them ,and they're 60 bucks cheaper than the m50's

post #235 of 365

Update after nearly 6 months with the Uptowns. Still love them!

post #236 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformatron View Post

Update after nearly 6 months with the Uptowns. Still love them!

Have you been using them "portably"(IE. outdoors) or indoors?
If outdoors, how do they hold up?

I ordered these two days ago, mainly for portable use. I did try them out before at a local electronics retailer, and I found them quite nice. I especially liked the fact that they fitted around my ears pretty much perfectly. The only thing preventing me from buying them there was that they cost about twice as much compared to Amazon(~$172 vs ~$80 on Amazon).
post #237 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post

Have you been using them "portably"(IE. outdoors) or indoors?
If outdoors, how do they hold up?

I ordered these two days ago, mainly for portable use. I did try them out before at a local electronics retailer, and I found them quite nice. I especially liked the fact that they fitted around my ears pretty much perfectly. The only thing preventing me from buying them there was that they cost about twice as much compared to Amazon(~$172 vs ~$80 on Amazon).
I have been using them everywhere. Inside and outside, I just toss them in my work bag at the end of the day.
post #238 of 365
Just thought I'd chime in.
I've had these for about 5 months and their pretty good cans, provided you can get them for a price of around $120. I've heard the MDR 7506 and ATH M50, and a whole bunch of other cans and I wouldn't say these are better, just different. They're a very easy going can that can put out a nice amount of bass and are great with vocals, even with its slightly recessed mids.

My only two gripes with them would be the bass control which a bit loose, but isn't really noticeable unless you've heard some higher end cans, or against a studio monitors. The other would be this super cheap cable.

Isolation is the best, and durability is top notch, and these have been through the wringer.

Overall a good decision then the other $100 cans. A better decision would to be to just up the price range to $150 -200. That's where it gets fun...
post #239 of 365

Loving mine, just arrived today.

 

Was a great buy ($60 in Aus)

 

They sounded off for the first few hours, after 10 hours they are very nice.

 

Prefer them over my CAL's, DT770 80's, HM3's, HM5's, um, yeah, best cans so far I'm thinking. Hope its not just a honeymoon period romance

post #240 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone025 View Post

Loving mine, just arrived today.

 

Was a great buy ($60 in Aus)

 

They sounded off for the first few hours, after 10 hours they are very nice.

 

Prefer them over my CAL's, DT770 80's, HM3's, HM5's, um, yeah, best cans so far I'm thinking. Hope its not just a honeymoon period romance

DT770 pro 80s?  Did you amp them properly?  I prefer the dt770s, but i use the uptowns more.  They do improve a little with burn in but not greatly.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Review: Philips CitiScape Uptown (Updated Sept 18, 2012)