I am new to the whole headphone game. I came across this site last week and have been looking since. I have been to BB and heard the Studios. I like the base. So since I have heard different things about them I asked my friend if he knew anything as good or better for $300. He said look at Sennheiser. So I looked around and found the HD598 then I found this site. So since I have talked to my sale person at Crutchfield. She said that B&W P5 is something to look at. So I went buy BB today and went back to the studios to see if I can use my own music. Then I went to the Magnolia area. They had the HD558 and the B&W P5 that I could play my own music to. Since I'm interested in the HD598 AND NOT THE HD558 I didnt spend too much time listening to that pair. I did listen a lot to the B&W P5. I enjoyed how clear they sounded and they were not over basey like the Studios. I dont think that I will be able to try out a pair of the HD598. From what I have read the sound charts on these tend to be a little flat. So I am wanting to know if there is a headphone that has just a bit more base than the P5 but not overpowering like the Studios that has the clear crisp sound that the P5 already has? I may buy the P5 and test them out at home on my receiver to see if it gets what I want. So for now unless there is ideas I'm looking at the HD598 and the P5. I'm looking to spend no more than $300. I listen to rap, 80's hair bands and grunge. Thanks for your thoughts!
- productBowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productMonster Beats by Dre Studiotagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 558tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 580tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 598tagged by System, 6/6/12More
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 vs HD650 - Initial Thoughts Last post on 9/1/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- What should I look for in cans for Movies only? Last post on 4/3/13 at 9:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hifiman Supermini and Megamini – initial impressions / comparison I first heard the Hifiman Supermini in demo unit form at the Canjam London 2016, and while being impressed by the fact...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi Audio for the loan unit for review, I have been using it for about 3 weeks and as always I will try to write an honest review. Gear Used: Dell XPS 15 /...
I bought these back in 2000 for full retail, which was a lot of money for me at the time. I got to A/B these at a hi-fi shop using my reference CD. I listened to the HD600 and the HD590. I...
Acknowledgment Thank you HiFiMAN for providing this review unit on loan in exchange for my honest opinion.Introduction HiFiMAN has been around a long time now. They’ve gone from bargain OEM...
INTRO:- Shozy, A brand that hails from HongKong, going strong since 2012, better known for their amplifiers, DAPs and DACs has the mighty popular Shozy Alien that looks, sounds and...
Looking for some help on what to get.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 256/1/12 at 1:52pmHaven't tried the P5s, so I can't directly comment on what you heard, but "bass but not overpowering, clear crisp sound" makes me think of either the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or the Sennheiser HD 580/600. Get the 2400 if you want "more" bass, the 600 if you want "less" bass (there are other differences too, but the biggest difference will be in bass impact). I like both of them with grunge (the bits that I listen to). I like the Sennheiser for rap immensely, the Ultrasone probably a bit less so. You'd have to give me some examples of "80's hair bands" for me to comment there.
Personally I found the 555s and 595s boring - and assume the new xx8s are just an evolution of that line. Some people say they're similar to the 580/600/650 - I don't see it.
If you want a closed can, the Denon AH-D2000 is a VERY popular suggestion, and was just recently discontinued - availability may be problematic.post #3 of 256/1/12 at 2:05pmThread Starterpost #4 of 256/1/12 at 5:07pmpost #5 of 256/1/12 at 5:20pm
B&W P5's are pretty overpriced for what they are. There are still better options than those in that price range. The Sennhieser HD-25II and the HD 380 PRO are great, and are around 100 dollars less. If you are willing to pay as much as the P5's get the Grado SR325i or the Beyerdynamic 1350. Denon AHD-2k's are good too, much sadly they are discontinued :(post #6 of 256/1/12 at 6:17pmThread StarterI found the Denon's online so that may be an option. I'm just not to keen on their receivers so that bothers me a little. It seems from reading one of the links above that the 598 sound like the 558 and I wasn't satisfied with the sound of the 558.
Also I did see a headphone ranking on this site. Is that ranking best to worse or most popular?post #7 of 256/1/12 at 8:29pmpost #8 of 256/1/12 at 8:29pmThread Starterpost #9 of 256/1/12 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #10 of 256/1/12 at 9:18pmpost #11 of 256/2/12 at 2:20ampost #12 of 256/2/12 at 6:12amThread Starter
The only thing is that from what I know Denon is known for their receivers just like Pioneer and Yamaha. Im not sure about the other products these other companies make. I did however find the Denon's online for about $300.post #13 of 256/2/12 at 6:26amThread Starterpost #14 of 256/2/12 at 7:17amQuote:
Denon makes some of the best regarded headphones, probably in Head-Fi history. Even people who aren't fans (like me), aren't ripping them apart; they aren't offensive. $300 is fair, and they'll completely obliterate the Beats headphones.Quote:
Wouldn't even go down this road.
- Looking for some help on what to get.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 46 seconds ago
- › WyWires Red Headphone Cable 57 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 2 minutes ago
- › The Unplugged List 3 minutes ago
- › Grado modders go Magnum 5 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 7 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 8 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by Jackpot77
- › iFi Pro iCAN by ostewart
- › Sennheiser HD 590 Headphones by aafanatic
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by glassmonkey
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by suman134
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by ph0n6
- › Soundaware Esther by Fabaaroan
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by pkshiu
- › iBasso IT03 by sonickarma
- › Jomo Audio Samba Pro CIEM by sonickarma
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...