I am new to the whole headphone game. I came across this site last week and have been looking since. I have been to BB and heard the Studios. I like the base. So since I have heard different things about them I asked my friend if he knew anything as good or better for $300. He said look at Sennheiser. So I looked around and found the HD598 then I found this site. So since I have talked to my sale person at Crutchfield. She said that B&W P5 is something to look at. So I went buy BB today and went back to the studios to see if I can use my own music. Then I went to the Magnolia area. They had the HD558 and the B&W P5 that I could play my own music to. Since I'm interested in the HD598 AND NOT THE HD558 I didnt spend too much time listening to that pair. I did listen a lot to the B&W P5. I enjoyed how clear they sounded and they were not over basey like the Studios. I dont think that I will be able to try out a pair of the HD598. From what I have read the sound charts on these tend to be a little flat. So I am wanting to know if there is a headphone that has just a bit more base than the P5 but not overpowering like the Studios that has the clear crisp sound that the P5 already has? I may buy the P5 and test them out at home on my receiver to see if it gets what I want. So for now unless there is ideas I'm looking at the HD598 and the P5. I'm looking to spend no more than $300. I listen to rap, 80's hair bands and grunge. Thanks for your thoughts!
- productBowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productMonster Beats by Dre Studiotagged by System, 6/6/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD-558tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 580tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 6/6/12More
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 6/6/12
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/12
- productUltrasone HFI-2400tagged by System, 6/6/12
Related Forum Threads
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 vs HD650 - Initial Thoughts Last post on 9/1/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- What should I look for in cans for Movies only? Last post on 4/3/13 at 9:39pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New member looking for advice Last post on 9/5/12 at 11:49am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I am one of the lucky ones to get a chance to be reviewer in the HE-400i "tour". HiFiMAN has intrigued me since the start of my Head-Fi journey. The HE-400 was the first headphone I purchased...
Note: Much of this comes from a review I wrote and posted elsewhere a month or so ago, but with some editing and organizational tweaks. I have wanted to do a full Alpha Dog review for a while,...
I have owned this headphone for 2 years and it never disappointed me. The sound quality is no need to discuss as its sound signature has been discussed multiple times in TH900 thread. This...
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Looking for some help on what to get.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 256/1/12 at 1:52pmHaven't tried the P5s, so I can't directly comment on what you heard, but "bass but not overpowering, clear crisp sound" makes me think of either the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or the Sennheiser HD 580/600. Get the 2400 if you want "more" bass, the 600 if you want "less" bass (there are other differences too, but the biggest difference will be in bass impact). I like both of them with grunge (the bits that I listen to). I like the Sennheiser for rap immensely, the Ultrasone probably a bit less so. You'd have to give me some examples of "80's hair bands" for me to comment there.
Personally I found the 555s and 595s boring - and assume the new xx8s are just an evolution of that line. Some people say they're similar to the 580/600/650 - I don't see it.
If you want a closed can, the Denon AH-D2000 is a VERY popular suggestion, and was just recently discontinued - availability may be problematic.post #3 of 256/1/12 at 2:05pmThread Starterpost #4 of 256/1/12 at 5:07pmpost #5 of 256/1/12 at 5:20pm
B&W P5's are pretty overpriced for what they are. There are still better options than those in that price range. The Sennhieser HD-25II and the HD 380 PRO are great, and are around 100 dollars less. If you are willing to pay as much as the P5's get the Grado SR325i or the Beyerdynamic 1350. Denon AHD-2k's are good too, much sadly they are discontinued :(post #6 of 256/1/12 at 6:17pmThread StarterI found the Denon's online so that may be an option. I'm just not to keen on their receivers so that bothers me a little. It seems from reading one of the links above that the 598 sound like the 558 and I wasn't satisfied with the sound of the 558.
Also I did see a headphone ranking on this site. Is that ranking best to worse or most popular?post #7 of 256/1/12 at 8:29pmpost #8 of 256/1/12 at 8:29pmThread Starterpost #9 of 256/1/12 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #10 of 256/1/12 at 9:18pmpost #11 of 256/2/12 at 2:20ampost #12 of 256/2/12 at 6:12amThread Starter
The only thing is that from what I know Denon is known for their receivers just like Pioneer and Yamaha. Im not sure about the other products these other companies make. I did however find the Denon's online for about $300.post #13 of 256/2/12 at 6:26amThread Starterpost #14 of 256/2/12 at 7:17amQuote:
Denon makes some of the best regarded headphones, probably in Head-Fi history. Even people who aren't fans (like me), aren't ripping them apart; they aren't offensive. $300 is fair, and they'll completely obliterate the Beats headphones.Quote:
Wouldn't even go down this road.
- Looking for some help on what to get.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Apple Plans To Shut Down Beats Music 10 seconds ago
- › Is the Hifiman HE-6 clearly a league above the Hifiman HE-500? 28 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 34 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Grado RS1i Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 1 minute ago
- › September 27 Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley mini-meet 2 minutes ago
- › USB powered dac-amp musings 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Apple iPod Classic 160 GB Black (7G) 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by smellyfungus
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by hans030390
- › Fostex TH 900 by archeryc
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)