What Mac program and iPad app do you recommend in order to stream Flac files from an iMac to an iPad2 without losing any native resolution of the Flac files?
- productApple iPad 2 MC980LL/A Tablet (32GB, Wifi, White) NEWEST MODELtagged by System, 6/4/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 6/4/12
- productLogitech Squeezebox Wi-Fi Internet Radio and Wireless Music Playertagged by System, 6/4/12
Related Forum Threads
- I am correct in this: iMac with rWave > Arcam rDac > Amplifier (downstairs) Last post on 8/16/12 at 6:52pm in Computer Audio
- iPad & flac files/player Last post on 7/2/12 at 9:18pm in Computer Audio
- Is there such a thing as an Optical/SPDIF to USB cable? Last post on 3/5/14 at 2:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- You need to experiment,. I'm very happy!!! Last post on 1/30/14 at 4:09pm in Computer Audio
- Best Squeezebox capable alternative to MOG now that it is going away Last post on 1/24/14 at 6:00pm in Computer Audio
The Start This review is part of the Official Sennheiser URBANITE Australian review tour organized by White Lotus and made possible by Sennheiser Australia . Many thanks to White Lotus for his...
These are also known as the monoprice 8323's. I have these for nearly 2 years. I bought them a few months after my faithfull 8323's. Pros - for the price they deliver the highest quality...
Let me start this review with some information about the company that made these headphones, Philips. The company that invented the CD, the first radio etc. As a Dutch guy, I'm very connected with...
I'll start off by saying I am by no means an audiophile, just a kid with some money and a passion for music. These headphones, as far as I can tell, have more prominent mids than most...
Let me just say one thing up front: if you have any complaints about the speed or the bass extension of these headphones, you need a better headphone amp. /endofdiscussion The HD600s will take the...
How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Unfortunately Apple has removed Airfoil Speakers Touch from the iOS App Store....it would have been a good program to use on the iPad.
I have a large number of Flac files and would prefer not to convert....but it may be the best solution.
You could run LMS "Logitech Media Server" it's free. iPeng or SqueezePad on your iPad will playback flac streamed from LMS. iPeng or SqueezePad with local playback will cost about $15.
Thanks DrTone....using LMS and Squeezepad according to your recommendations...works very well!
Any idea if the Flac files are being output in native resolution from the iPad using this method or if they are being downsampled?
I feel you on not wanting to convert, and possibly you might also hate the Apple's sync vs drag and drop (especially when you want to remove files and add others, when they won't just give us SDcard slots) which FLACPlayer didn't solve. However I received an iPad2 as a gift, and since a few months ago USB Audio wasn't a standard Android feature vs the CCK (and as long as your DAC won't need USB power), I've read up and found a few options. I'm on an extended vacation now so I can't get the whole system running, although I have my desktop amp and headphones with me, plus a new laptop, and will dedicate the older one for music:
1) Use the other laptop as an iTunes sync device. No clogging my HDD with multiple copies or confusing media players as to what library is theirs, and sync really annoys me anyway. But with this spare laptop I can have an ALAC and AAC iTunes computer and stream those to the iPad hooked up to my amp via USB. I'll fill the iPad with my favorite tracks, stay offline and save the battery (unless I really need to check something online) and then use the older laptop to stream the rest of the music through iTunes.
2) MonkeyMote (uses the iPad as remote for Foobar or MediaMonkey) and a wireless DAC (AirDAC, DAC1, etc). I got it working with the new laptop and I have to say it's convenient; but not really until I get a wireless DAC. I'll either use this with the old laptop and its 500gb drive nearer my AC, as I hate being near that since I hear it through my cans, or my main rig in another room if the signal works well enough.
3) Long run, I'll probably just save up for a darned music server; use the iPad for quick listening via USB, and as a remote for the server using control apps. Musical Fidelity M1 server is expensive, but Aune has a $600 option.
Edited by ProtegeManiac - 6/4/12 at 4:56pm
LMS shouldn't be touching anything unless you've configured it to otherwise. What the iPad's audio engine does with the audio is another question.
- How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 53 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 5 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 8 minutes ago
- › Iphone6 and Ipad Air connection setup 8 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 9 minutes ago
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by Dogmatrix
- › Monoprice MHP-839 by engineerd3d
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by D-TECH
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by NineRedTools
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by rjm003
- › Miles Davis Trumpet High Performance In-ear Headphones by Merfolk
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Niyologist
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3