What Mac program and iPad app do you recommend in order to stream Flac files from an iMac to an iPad2 without losing any native resolution of the Flac files?
- productApple iPad 2 MC980LL/A Tablet (32GB, Wifi, White) NEWEST MODELtagged by System, 6/4/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 6/4/12
- productLogitech Squeezebox Wi-Fi Internet Radio and Wireless Music Playertagged by System, 6/4/12
Related Forum Threads
- I am correct in this: iMac with rWave > Arcam rDac > Amplifier (downstairs) Last post on 8/16/12 at 6:52pm in Computer Audio
- iPad & flac files/player Last post on 7/2/12 at 9:18pm in Computer Audio
- Is there such a thing as an Optical/SPDIF to USB cable? Last post on 3/5/14 at 2:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- You need to experiment,. I'm very happy!!! Last post on 1/30/14 at 4:09pm in Computer Audio
- Best Squeezebox capable alternative to MOG now that it is going away Last post on 1/24/14 at 6:00pm in Computer Audio
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Alright, so I am not an audiophile by any means, my entire experience of headphelia is just using cheap IEMs but after trying some expensive beats, I knew I needed something more. And if your like...
This is a review of Audeze EL-8C closed back planar magnetic full size headphones: https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-closed-back, with a bonus review of Audeze Deckard desktop...
Preface: Nothing too technical here; just wanted to give my impression as someone that had to "downgrade" from the HE-400's recently and has tried dozens of full-sized cans. I have had these things...
How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Unfortunately Apple has removed Airfoil Speakers Touch from the iOS App Store....it would have been a good program to use on the iPad.
I have a large number of Flac files and would prefer not to convert....but it may be the best solution.
You could run LMS "Logitech Media Server" it's free. iPeng or SqueezePad on your iPad will playback flac streamed from LMS. iPeng or SqueezePad with local playback will cost about $15.
Thanks DrTone....using LMS and Squeezepad according to your recommendations...works very well!
Any idea if the Flac files are being output in native resolution from the iPad using this method or if they are being downsampled?
I feel you on not wanting to convert, and possibly you might also hate the Apple's sync vs drag and drop (especially when you want to remove files and add others, when they won't just give us SDcard slots) which FLACPlayer didn't solve. However I received an iPad2 as a gift, and since a few months ago USB Audio wasn't a standard Android feature vs the CCK (and as long as your DAC won't need USB power), I've read up and found a few options. I'm on an extended vacation now so I can't get the whole system running, although I have my desktop amp and headphones with me, plus a new laptop, and will dedicate the older one for music:
1) Use the other laptop as an iTunes sync device. No clogging my HDD with multiple copies or confusing media players as to what library is theirs, and sync really annoys me anyway. But with this spare laptop I can have an ALAC and AAC iTunes computer and stream those to the iPad hooked up to my amp via USB. I'll fill the iPad with my favorite tracks, stay offline and save the battery (unless I really need to check something online) and then use the older laptop to stream the rest of the music through iTunes.
2) MonkeyMote (uses the iPad as remote for Foobar or MediaMonkey) and a wireless DAC (AirDAC, DAC1, etc). I got it working with the new laptop and I have to say it's convenient; but not really until I get a wireless DAC. I'll either use this with the old laptop and its 500gb drive nearer my AC, as I hate being near that since I hear it through my cans, or my main rig in another room if the signal works well enough.
3) Long run, I'll probably just save up for a darned music server; use the iPad for quick listening via USB, and as a remote for the server using control apps. Musical Fidelity M1 server is expensive, but Aune has a $600 option.
Edited by ProtegeManiac - 6/4/12 at 4:56pm
LMS shouldn't be touching anything unless you've configured it to otherwise. What the iPad's audio engine does with the audio is another question.
- How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 8 seconds ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 51 seconds ago
- › Ditch the Essence STX and get a Xonar DG? 1 minute ago
- › Reviewers wanted - Sound Blaster products 2 minutes ago
- › RHA - T20 - Impressions, Reviews, and questions 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Would that extension cable impact the queality of my headphones? 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD3F 5 minutes ago
- › JPlay 6 5 minutes ago
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by krishtrinity1
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by RedJohn456
- › Alpha & Delta AD01 by nmatheis
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3