What Mac program and iPad app do you recommend in order to stream Flac files from an iMac to an iPad2 without losing any native resolution of the Flac files?
- productApple iPad 2 MC980LL/A Tablet (32GB, Wifi, White) NEWEST MODELtagged by System, 6/4/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 6/4/12
- productLogitech Squeezebox Wi-Fi Internet Radio and Wireless Music Playertagged by System, 6/4/12
Related Forum Threads
- I am correct in this: iMac with rWave > Arcam rDac > Amplifier (downstairs) Last post on 8/16/12 at 6:52pm in Computer Audio
- iPad & flac files/player Last post on 7/2/12 at 9:18pm in Computer Audio
- Is there such a thing as an Optical/SPDIF to USB cable? Last post on 3/5/14 at 2:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- You need to experiment,. I'm very happy!!! Last post on 1/30/14 at 4:09pm in Computer Audio
- Best Squeezebox capable alternative to MOG now that it is going away Last post on 1/24/14 at 6:00pm in Computer Audio
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Unfortunately Apple has removed Airfoil Speakers Touch from the iOS App Store....it would have been a good program to use on the iPad.
I have a large number of Flac files and would prefer not to convert....but it may be the best solution.
You could run LMS "Logitech Media Server" it's free. iPeng or SqueezePad on your iPad will playback flac streamed from LMS. iPeng or SqueezePad with local playback will cost about $15.
Thanks DrTone....using LMS and Squeezepad according to your recommendations...works very well!
Any idea if the Flac files are being output in native resolution from the iPad using this method or if they are being downsampled?
I feel you on not wanting to convert, and possibly you might also hate the Apple's sync vs drag and drop (especially when you want to remove files and add others, when they won't just give us SDcard slots) which FLACPlayer didn't solve. However I received an iPad2 as a gift, and since a few months ago USB Audio wasn't a standard Android feature vs the CCK (and as long as your DAC won't need USB power), I've read up and found a few options. I'm on an extended vacation now so I can't get the whole system running, although I have my desktop amp and headphones with me, plus a new laptop, and will dedicate the older one for music:
1) Use the other laptop as an iTunes sync device. No clogging my HDD with multiple copies or confusing media players as to what library is theirs, and sync really annoys me anyway. But with this spare laptop I can have an ALAC and AAC iTunes computer and stream those to the iPad hooked up to my amp via USB. I'll fill the iPad with my favorite tracks, stay offline and save the battery (unless I really need to check something online) and then use the older laptop to stream the rest of the music through iTunes.
2) MonkeyMote (uses the iPad as remote for Foobar or MediaMonkey) and a wireless DAC (AirDAC, DAC1, etc). I got it working with the new laptop and I have to say it's convenient; but not really until I get a wireless DAC. I'll either use this with the old laptop and its 500gb drive nearer my AC, as I hate being near that since I hear it through my cans, or my main rig in another room if the signal works well enough.
3) Long run, I'll probably just save up for a darned music server; use the iPad for quick listening via USB, and as a remote for the server using control apps. Musical Fidelity M1 server is expensive, but Aune has a $600 option.
Edited by ProtegeManiac - 6/4/12 at 4:56pm
LMS shouldn't be touching anything unless you've configured it to otherwise. What the iPad's audio engine does with the audio is another question.
- How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado Fan Club! 23 seconds ago
- › Anything better than Superlux HD668B for the price? 25 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 2 minutes ago
- › Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!! 2 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 2 minutes ago
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob