What Mac program and iPad app do you recommend in order to stream Flac files from an iMac to an iPad2 without losing any native resolution of the Flac files?
- productApple iPad 2 MC980LL/A Tablet (32GB, Wifi, White) NEWEST MODELtagged by System, 6/4/12
- categoryComputer Audiotagged by System, 6/4/12
- productLogitech Squeezebox Wi-Fi Internet Radio and Wireless Music Playertagged by System, 6/4/12
Related Forum Threads
- I am correct in this: iMac with rWave > Arcam rDac > Amplifier (downstairs) Last post on 8/16/12 at 6:52pm in Computer Audio
- iPad & flac files/player Last post on 7/2/12 at 9:18pm in Computer Audio
- Is there such a thing as an Optical/SPDIF to USB cable? Last post on 3/5/14 at 2:12pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- You need to experiment,. I'm very happy!!! Last post on 1/30/14 at 4:09pm in Computer Audio
- Best Squeezebox capable alternative to MOG now that it is going away Last post on 1/24/14 at 6:00pm in Computer Audio
Disclaimer This unit was in my possession for a few days as part of the Australasian tour. I'd like to thank @FiiO and @Joe Bloggs for making this tour possible, and @Brooko for organizing...
One day before a long trip I found out that my earbuds was blown out, so I went to one near store to find some quick replacement, then I choose these because there was none of my...
I bought these headphones love / hate with the taste of the challenge. I learned that in Germany have discovered a reversible change to free the low and I started the monkey. I got them used to not...
sorry my English is Google translate The sound of these hifiman immediately like it or hate it. They have a strong character, perfect bass, brilliant highs, medium tone mind incorrect. A few years...
sorry my English is Google translate I bought this machine to see if such facilities exist hifi quality level beyond which the feeling of fidelity sound becomes real. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I...
How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Unfortunately Apple has removed Airfoil Speakers Touch from the iOS App Store....it would have been a good program to use on the iPad.
I have a large number of Flac files and would prefer not to convert....but it may be the best solution.
You could run LMS "Logitech Media Server" it's free. iPeng or SqueezePad on your iPad will playback flac streamed from LMS. iPeng or SqueezePad with local playback will cost about $15.
Thanks DrTone....using LMS and Squeezepad according to your recommendations...works very well!
Any idea if the Flac files are being output in native resolution from the iPad using this method or if they are being downsampled?
I feel you on not wanting to convert, and possibly you might also hate the Apple's sync vs drag and drop (especially when you want to remove files and add others, when they won't just give us SDcard slots) which FLACPlayer didn't solve. However I received an iPad2 as a gift, and since a few months ago USB Audio wasn't a standard Android feature vs the CCK (and as long as your DAC won't need USB power), I've read up and found a few options. I'm on an extended vacation now so I can't get the whole system running, although I have my desktop amp and headphones with me, plus a new laptop, and will dedicate the older one for music:
1) Use the other laptop as an iTunes sync device. No clogging my HDD with multiple copies or confusing media players as to what library is theirs, and sync really annoys me anyway. But with this spare laptop I can have an ALAC and AAC iTunes computer and stream those to the iPad hooked up to my amp via USB. I'll fill the iPad with my favorite tracks, stay offline and save the battery (unless I really need to check something online) and then use the older laptop to stream the rest of the music through iTunes.
2) MonkeyMote (uses the iPad as remote for Foobar or MediaMonkey) and a wireless DAC (AirDAC, DAC1, etc). I got it working with the new laptop and I have to say it's convenient; but not really until I get a wireless DAC. I'll either use this with the old laptop and its 500gb drive nearer my AC, as I hate being near that since I hear it through my cans, or my main rig in another room if the signal works well enough.
3) Long run, I'll probably just save up for a darned music server; use the iPad for quick listening via USB, and as a remote for the server using control apps. Musical Fidelity M1 server is expensive, but Aune has a $600 option.
Edited by ProtegeManiac - 6/4/12 at 4:56pm
LMS shouldn't be touching anything unless you've configured it to otherwise. What the iPad's audio engine does with the audio is another question.
- How to stream FLACS from a Mac to an iPad2 ?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts just now
- › iFI Nano Idsd or Ifi Micro Idsd or Astell & Kern Ak100 II for... 45 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Open Headphones for ~$500 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser RS185 Review by mark2410 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › SONY NWZ-A10 Series 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Beresford Bushmaster MKII appreciation thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fnkcow
- › Headphones EB-BL Jelleez Ear Buds Black by LuigiSound
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by 1Infinity
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by 1Infinity
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 by 1Infinity
- › FiiO X5 High-res Portable Music Player by Currawong
- › T-Peos Altone 350 Hybrid 3 driver IEM by svyr
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by earfonia
- › Topping NX1 Earphone Headphone Portable Stereo MP3 Amplifier by DJScope
- › Minerva Mi-Performer Pro Silicone Custom IEM by CantScareMe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2