Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Please end my search for Basshead IEM's...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please end my search for Basshead IEM's... - Page 4

post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepwaterKoi View Post

Well I found a good deal on some like new Hippo VBs so they should be arriving middle of the week.  I hope this ends my search wink.gif
We should get them at the same time!
post #47 of 76
Thread Starter 

I just got the Hippo VBs today and they are an improvement....

 

The fit is much better for my ear than the ath-cks55's so that is nice.  I am still using the Comply t400 tips I got so they stay in place very well.  The VBs came with a large assortment of tips so maybe there is another tip that will work as well.

 

As for the bass it does have more amplitude than the cks55's but they do not go as low frequency wise as the 55's but they go low enough for most music.  For some reason it seems as though the volume does not get as loud as the 55's using the same device.  They both say the sensitivity is 105 db/mw but maybe it is do to the Impedance being different.  The VB's are 32 ohms and the 55's are 17 ohms

The volume issue isn't that big of a deal because I don't want to blow my ear drums out, but it would be nice to have more potential when I am strictly listening to a dubstep track with all bass and no real highs though.

 

I haven't played too much with the screw on back to the VB's but I think the box is mislabeled when it comes to the tips.  Based on the box it seems like more bass should come from the backs with 3 dots and a filter on the inside.  I seem get the most bass with the back with no dots and no filter.

 

All in all the VB's have the most bass of the IEMs I have tried, but I was really hoping for MIND BLOWING instead of just impressive.  Hopefully some of the other members with experience with the VB's and other IEMs can compare them to even more bass head IEMs.

 

I may stay with the VB's but then again maybe I will throw more money at this little obsession of mine HAHAHAHA  I mean really are budgets for, other than to be thrown out the window ? biggrin.gif

 

Zac

post #48 of 76
You can look into the tfta x1b. It's supposedly the bassiest iem you can buy.
post #49 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

You can look into the tfta x1b. It's supposedly the bassiest iem you can buy.

 

I can't seem to find info on that model.  The TFTA website doesn't list them.  You got any info I can look at?

post #50 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepwaterKoi View Post

 

I can't seem to find info on that model.  The TFTA website doesn't list them.  You got any info I can look at?

 

TFTA-2100-3V2B = TFTA-1XB
 
It's on their site, but currently out of stock.
post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepwaterKoi View Post

I just got the Hippo VBs today and they are an improvement....

 

The fit is much better for my ear than the ath-cks55's so that is nice.  I am still using the Comply t400 tips I got so they stay in place very well.  The VBs came with a large assortment of tips so maybe there is another tip that will work as well.

 

As for the bass it does have more amplitude than the cks55's but they do not go as low frequency wise as the 55's but they go low enough for most music.  For some reason it seems as though the volume does not get as loud as the 55's using the same device.  They both say the sensitivity is 105 db/mw but maybe it is do to the Impedance being different.  The VB's are 32 ohms and the 55's are 17 ohms

The volume issue isn't that big of a deal because I don't want to blow my ear drums out, but it would be nice to have more potential when I am strictly listening to a dubstep track with all bass and no real highs though.

 

I haven't played too much with the screw on back to the VB's but I think the box is mislabeled when it comes to the tips.  Based on the box it seems like more bass should come from the backs with 3 dots and a filter on the inside.  I seem get the most bass with the back with no dots and no filter.

 

All in all the VB's have the most bass of the IEMs I have tried, but I was really hoping for MIND BLOWING instead of just impressive.  Hopefully some of the other members with experience with the VB's and other IEMs can compare them to even more bass head IEMs.

 

I may stay with the VB's but then again maybe I will throw more money at this little obsession of mine HAHAHAHA  I mean really are budgets for, other than to be thrown out the window ? biggrin.gif

 

Zac


The graph on the box is backwards, 3 dot least > 2 dot middle (preferred) > no dot most.

Sounds to me you're looking for bass that simply cannot be reproduced from a source alone, what source are you using, your player? This plays a major role in what to expect power and bass wise. For example, if you're trying to get bass rumble from an ipod alone you will never achieve those levels I was talking about because I was amping my VB with a $70 portable Fiio E11 amp - bass boosting. Even a $20 E5 would be enough to give you a better idea, Because....you simply can't get that bass rumble I was talking about without one, If you're not entirely happy with them now, try an amp, still not enough? Then I'm sorry to say you're possibly expecting more than what a 9mm driver with a size less than your pinkie nail can achieve. The amp will easily double the bass amounts, and what helps is E11 EQ works on low end, sub bass regions, not so much mid bass. Trust me Hippo VB have the potential to go low / LOUD but they can't do it without power. That's like running a Ferrari with a Honda civic engine.

In my opinion I wouldn't be looking at other IEM's right now, but amping the ones you have with a Fiio E11 which has dedicated bass boost, there's a couple going in the FS amp section for $50. Or a Zo2 and then go from there. Without the proper source to feed them you'll be running around in circles.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/13/12 at 7:00pm
post #52 of 76
I would say let the Hippos burn in a bit? Maybe th bass will loosen up a bit.
Also look at the cMoy BB amp. Adds thunderous amount of bass to any IEM. Personally I don't use the bass boost as it is muddy but that's another option!
post #53 of 76
Thread Starter 

I am mostly using my Samsung Galaxy Blaze with Pandora.  Like I said at the beginning of this thread I am a fabricator so I need to carry the equipment around in my pocket while I work so the smaller the better for me.  I don't know how an amp would work for me unless it had its own battery source.  Does it steal power from the source device and then amplify the signal strength that way?

post #54 of 76
Have you tried the Hisound POPO? Review in my sig
post #55 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepwaterKoi View Post

I am mostly using my Samsung Galaxy Blaze with Pandora.  Like I said at the beginning of this thread I am a fabricator so I need to carry the equipment around in my pocket while I work so the smaller the better for me.  I don't know how an amp would work for me unless it had its own battery source.  Does it steal power from the source device and then amplify the signal strength that way?


Fiio E11, has it's own battery that runs for about 15 hours, you charge it via USB. You can strap it to the back of your player.

It's the only way I'm afraid to enter bass bliss for extreme rumbling pleasure. You know what? that's how it all starts off. A member joins, looks for headphones, feels the bug, buys a little more, then 5 months later has something like this to carry around with him.

Portable rig.jpeg


You could always bolt everything to an extra tool belt, while having it all plugged into a long extension cord to walk around the workshop? smile.gif The possibility's could be endless this way. It's probably safer you leave now before that actually becomes a foreseeable idea in the future. It's happened to others in the past.


http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-elPSRWgce1M/TgBZbCwRZjI/AAAAAAAACg4/Q_ErEny0Dzc/s1600/20110622-14.jpg

wink.gif

Here's a review on E11 I found for you.

If you think it's too bulky, you can opt for an Fiio E5 which is tiny in comparison, but in all honesty I cannot see E11 weighing you down much more than the already pocketed player, if worse came to worst you could use the E11 at home or when not working etc etc. Either way I'ts the only way I can offer you the experience I had with VB in full form.


 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/14/12 at 5:49am
post #56 of 76
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdshain View Post

 

TFTA-2100-3V2B = TFTA-1XB
 
It's on their site, but currently out of stock.

Thanks for the clarification ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

Have you tried the Hisound POPO? Review in my sig

No I haven't, but thanks for the suggestion.  It is REALLY hard to figure out which reviews are really about HUGE BASS and which are huge bass because the reviewer prefers mids and highs.  Have you ever tried the VB's?  If so then how do they compare to each other?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Fiio E11, has it's own battery that runs for about 15 hours, you charge it via USB. You can strap it to the back of your player.

It's the only way I'm afraid to enter bass bliss for extreme rumbling pleasure. You know what? that's how it all starts off. A member joins, looks for headphones, feels the bug, buys a little more, then 5 months later has something like this to carry around with him.

Portable rig.jpeg


You could always bolt everything to an extra tool belt, while having it all plugged into a long extension cord to walk around the workshop? smile.gif The possibility's could be endless this way. It's probably safer you leave now before that actually becomes a foreseeable idea in the future. It's happened to others in the past.


http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-elPSRWgce1M/TgBZbCwRZjI/AAAAAAAACg4/Q_ErEny0Dzc/s1600/20110622-14.jpg

wink.gif

Here's a review on E11 I found for you.

If you think it's too bulky, you can opt for an Fiio E5 which is tiny in comparison, but in all honesty I cannot see E11 weighing you down much more than the already pocketed player, if worse came to worst you could use the E11 at home or when not working etc etc. Either way I'ts the only way I can offer you the experience I had with VB in full form.


 

 

Oh dear God!!!!!!!  Maybe I should just walk away before my pockets get full and wallet gets empty.  It seems as though my head cold is coming back again so my ears are starting to get snot bubbles in them so everything sounds weird now anyways.  I will do a little research on amps and try to go with the smallest one that will provide the kind of sound I want without breaking the back.

 

Zac

post #57 of 76
Fiio E6 is good if you want small. Fiio E11 is a more serious amp, and the bass boost is really good, it mainly affects the sub-bass, without bleeding into the mids
post #58 of 76

i'll be honest i have had a fair through earphones and the VBs are as big as out has got for me bass wise, i am still burning them in though!

post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimsonny View Post

i'll be honest i have had a fair through earphones and the VBs are as big as out has got for me bass wise, i am still burning them in though!


If you have Sony Hybrid tips handy, try them on your VB. I found they concentrate bass and tame those highs a little because you funnel the sound through a slightly smaller tip. If you're still burning expect the highs to settle right down, as my pair were a little peaky at first on higher volumes. After 60 - 80 hours it toned down. The hybrid tips though for me worked really well.

 

post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


If you have Sony Hybrid tips handy, try them on your VB. I found they concentrate bass and tame those highs a little because you funnel the sound through a slightly smaller tip. If you're still burning expect the highs to settle right down, as my pair were a little peaky at first on higher volumes. After 60 - 80 hours it toned down. The hybrid tips though for me worked really well.

 

Yeh i have plenty from with my EX1000s! Yeh i have barely listened to them, i will wait for the burn in to finish!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Please end my search for Basshead IEM's...