Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Please end my search for Basshead IEM's...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please end my search for Basshead IEM's... - Page 2

post #16 of 76

For a lower budget solution possibly the Velodyne Vpulses?
 

post #17 of 76
Thread Starter 

Thank you all for the responses!  I will do some homework and hopefully more of you will comment on the previous statements.

 

I do like the idea of having interchangeable screws so I can determine what type of sound I want at a given time.  The most important thing though is that when I want to blow my mind with bass I want the phones to have the potential to do so!

 

Zac

 

PS.  If you guys know of coupon codes then could you please post them for me or let me know where I can find them?

post #18 of 76

Not 100% sure if this still works, but here's a coupon code that I saw about a week ago that brings the price of Atrios down to $100.

 

Site: http://www.atrio.me/categories/atrio%C2%AE-%252d-Pro/

 

Coupon Code: CostProg50%

post #19 of 76
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the coupon code!  I still have a few more questions before I completely decide.  I found the JVC HA-fX101 locally at HH Gregg so I went ahead and got them.  I did a side by side test with the same songs and I think the JVC is on par with sound quality as the UE 350's, but the bass is more powerful.  It is pretty cool to have such quality at suck a low price point.  It only set me back $17 compared to the $60 for the Ultimate Ears.

 

Now onto the questions...

 

I notice with the larger gel inserts that the bass is more powerful...Why is that?

I have noticed with other IEMs if you insert the bud too far into your ear the sound quality drops way down and gets way quieter...Why is that?

Is there actually a difference in sound after say 50 hrs of use?

 

In all honesty I do not think I could live with myself (no offense intended) if I spent the $250 on the ASG-1 1.2 so I think that is out of the running, but I don't mind spending up to my original budget of $120 w/ shipping. 

 

With that being said will I see a noticeable difference in the QUANTITY of bass with the Hippo VB or Atrio M5?

I believe both of those companies have a 30 day return policy if I am not satisfied...Has anyone had problems returning their IEMs because they just don't like them?

 

Thanks again,

Zac

post #20 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepwaterKoi View Post

 

In all honesty I do not think I could live with myself (no offense intended) if I spent the $250 on the ASG-1 1.2 so I think that is out of the running, but I don't mind spending up to my original budget of $120 w/ shipping. 

 

With that being said will I see a noticeable difference in the QUANTITY of bass with the Hippo VB or Atrio M5?

I believe both of those companies have a 30 day return policy if I am not satisfied...Has anyone had problems returning their IEMs because they just don't like them?

 

 

It gets easier over time.

 

This is what the ASG-1.2 does to the Atrio M5 in terms of bass quantity and quality

 

post #21 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

It gets easier over time.

 

This is what the ASG-1.2 does to the Atrio M5 in terms of bass quantity and quality

 

 

 

"Oh man that is hot!"  HAHAHAHAHAHA  Maybe if business gets better I can splurge but for now my budget is $120

 

Zac

post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepwaterKoi View Post

Thanks for the coupon code!  I still have a few more questions before I completely decide.  I found the JVC HA-fX101 locally at HH Gregg so I went ahead and got them.  I did a side by side test with the same songs and I think the JVC is on par with sound quality as the UE 350's, but the bass is more powerful.  It is pretty cool to have such quality at suck a low price point.  It only set me back $17 compared to the $60 for the Ultimate Ears.

 

Now onto the questions...

 

I notice with the larger gel inserts that the bass is more powerful...Why is that?

I have noticed with other IEMs if you insert the bud too far into your ear the sound quality drops way down and gets way quieter...Why is that?

Is there actually a difference in sound after say 50 hrs of use?

 

In all honesty I do not think I could live with myself (no offense intended) if I spent the $250 on the ASG-1 1.2 so I think that is out of the running, but I don't mind spending up to my original budget of $120 w/ shipping. 

 

With that being said will I see a noticeable difference in the QUANTITY of bass with the Hippo VB or Atrio M5?

I believe both of those companies have a 30 day return policy if I am not satisfied...Has anyone had problems returning their IEMs because they just don't like them?

 

Thanks again,

Zac


The bass is more powerful because you're getting a better seal with the larger gel tips. Bass and sound quality with IEM's rely's on achieving an air tight seal. Again, when you push a tip to far in you lose seal, sometimes the end of the tip can pinch therefore you lose sound or it becomes muffled.. Getting that sweet spot is what it's all about. Seals are really important when trying to achieve equal bass amounts in each ear, especially when you start pushing air. See video

The break in period you mentioned is controversial., some believe in it others so not. Most like to think that like a new car engine anything with moving parts needs time to break in. The same rule applys to a dynamic driver. it needs to stretch and settle, any changes you do find will be subtle. (some really need it though for highs to settle)

See link

For your final question. Yes, The amount of bass you'll get from Hippo VB will stomp FX101 by X5 more, not only in volume but layering and quality. Do you feel the FX101 pushing air? I doubt it because it's just not built too at a $17 price point. Hippo VB however will actually start trying to shake their way out of your ear canal. (seriously) They are like having two mini air compressors pumping towards your ear drum which gives a tickling sensation. I guess you have to try them to understand.

You came here wanting the ultimate bass experience not a $17 toy.  Go for the VB or Atrio, but I feel the Atrio are not worth their price even with the coupon code, you get better sound, deeper sub bass with the VB, plus Hippo are much better build and design offering you the bass ports. Jaben Audio have them for around $79 'roughly' if you must go for Atrio remember they are usually worn over the ear (cable over your ear) and the bass is up to par with VB however not as deep in sub bass regions. And doesn't meet them SQ wise at a price to sound ratio.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/1/12 at 7:24pm
post #23 of 76
...have you heard the fx101 or m5, h2o?

As far as the m5 goes, I find it rather boring. Apart from the better than average sub bass, the midbass, mids, and highs have nothing going for them. For a bassy sound, if recommend the Philips she3580 over them. I'm A/Bing it right now with 5 different iems.
post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

...have you heard the fx101 or m5, h2o?
As far as the m5 goes, I find it rather boring. Apart from the better than average sub bass, the midbass, mids, and highs have nothing going for them. For a bassy sound, if recommend the Philips she3580 over them. I'm A/Bing it right now with 5 different iems.


I've owned M5 -  MG7 and previous version JVC XX (the earlier model) I want to order FX101 but keep side stepping  due to the earlier version which let me down (I've read about the changes in FX101) the original was decent in bass, fine for what it is..... but the highs were tinny, really tinny. The M5 I found exactly as yourself, mids and highs didn't impress me at all for the price, I sold it very quickly to a member here for $50 The bass yes was great, however it lacked everywhere else. I also have SHE3580 here which is excellent for the money, really really happy with 3580, fun. punchy, great bass, couldn't put it down in anyway besides the soundstage feeling closed in but for the sound it's a safe choice.  

Out of my basshead Journey the Hippo won me over, if something doesn't impress me from all my sources and amps I move it on quickly, it needs to be special to stay. SHE3580 won that position, Hippo VB did but I sold them (stupidly) because I thought Atrio would replace them. I want others to get something great without taking crossroads like Atrio or the original extreme explosives because we've tried most of them. I'll grab the FX101 eventually, but I can't see it having nearly the same bass amounts as VB. 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/1/12 at 10:04pm
post #25 of 76
Ok. It's just that I'm starting to take offence when people call the atrio a basshead phone. It's a pretty darn boring phone with very flat midbass and decent subbass. there are far better options for the money.
post #26 of 76

Completely understand where you're coming from. 

post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepwaterKoi View Post

"... I am a fabricator so I am always using power tools so noise isolating is necessary.

The warehouse is VERY hot so I sweat a lot.  The IEMs need to handle that or at least be easily exchanged if they go bad.

I listen to dubstep, breaks, D&B, rock, hip-hop, indie, alt rock, folk rock, even classical at times so I don't really have a true style.

My ears seem to handle bass just fine but really loud highs really hurt my ears, so I want HARD DEEP BASS, good mids, and mild highs.

I want to be able to crank the volume up without having the highs pierce to my brain wink.gif

I do not want to spend over $120 with shipping so hopefully that helps."

 

 

I'd say, if you want to keep enjoying music, you need lots of isolation. Power tools themselves put out a good deal of noise. Don't be superficial and just think about getting a wicked bass while working. Unless you get the sound levels down you'll end up with:

 

audiogram-2.gif

Frequency on x-axis and hearing deficit on the y-axis. Higher number equals greater hearing loss. -20 dB (or -10) to 20 dB hearing loss is within what can be considered "normal" due to human variation, anything beyond that will be noticed by you and maybe by others. 500Hz to 4kHz is where human speech is. I think 6-7kHz is where "s" is.

 

Which I'm sure you don't want when you're older. And yes, I know that you don't get any hearing loss in the bass and you might even find that being good since you will have sort of an on board equalizer. NO. It's not good. That's where speech is. So if you're going to listen to music while working, you need a lot of isolation. Ears can compensate for higher levels of ambient noise with muscles reducing the vibrations both on the eardrum and hearing bones. For the immediate hearing loss it's worse having a gun fired beside you rather than a pneumatic drill. But as time goes by, high levels of ambient noise will lead to progressive hearing loss (as well as being stressful to your body as a whole). 

 

You need to maximise your isolation. If you feel the need to play music while working, you need both isolating IEMs and around ear isolation. Since you're hanging out at head-fi I guess you consider your hearing your most important sense. Protecting it should be your highest priority, not second to getting the ultimate thumping bass. Besides, if you get a better isolation, the bass response will increase due to less ambient noise drowning it out.

 

I would guess getting really good around ear isolation and lesser in ear isolation would be beneficial to the sound quality because of bone conduction but I'm not sure. Just aim for the highest isolation you can get and worry about the perfect bass on your spare time. (I'm not telling you to go and buy ety's just because they isolate the best. But prioritize.)


Edited by MoonYeol - 6/2/12 at 2:22am
post #28 of 76
Thread Starter 

Thanks again for the continued advise in this thread.  This is a great place for the novice to learn about IEMs.  After all the reading I think I have narrowed my search to the Hippo VB and the DUNU DN-16 Hephaes.  I have heard really good things about each one of these especially for a basshead like me.  Which would you purchase if it were your money?

 

I am a little bit worried about the DUNUs because I can only find them on ebay.  I don't want to be scammed.  Is there a reputable retailer offering these IEMs?  Or are the ebay auctions the only way to get them?

 

Zac

 

PS. The noise isolating is a big thing for me like MoonYeol pointed out.  My table saw puts out a very high pitch sound so normally I use ear muffs, but I have NEVER been able to use IEMs and ear muffs at the same time because the tips fall out of my ears.  This is why I want something that does a good job of isolating the sound even if the music is off.  I have been using the Ultimate Ears 350's since I bought them and they do a good job of keeping the sound out, but they just don't have enough bass for me.

post #29 of 76
You may want to take a hard look at the KOSS IL100 or IL200 (iPhone model). They hexcel assign but nice sounding bass, excellent mids, and slightly tame but serviceable treble (coming from a treble head like me that probably means the treble will be just fine). They are built like a tank and they have the KOSS lifetime warranty.

I put up an impressions thread, other than that you won't find any real reviews as these are jut new on the market. But don't let that stop you from thinking about them, I am pretty sure they are going to get a strong following. The IL 100 is around $50 in the states an the IL200 is around $70 in the states.
post #30 of 76

I'm one who thinks the Atrio MG7 is the bass king.  I like mine a lot because while the bass has good impact and the best depth there is its also very clean with a smooth texture.  The mids and highs are really good to unlike some bass heavy IEM', they're balanced and have a monitor like quality to them.  I'm sure theres been people saying the soundstage is small but is not, I won't say its large but more so average and it has better depth than width and it sounds very cohesive.  I compared them to the Audio Technica CKS77 and at least imo the MG7 sounds better because they don't have that overbearing mid bass along with mids and highs that are smoother to.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Please end my search for Basshead IEM's...