or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 28

post #406 of 7120

Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Do you have a balanced cable for your 700s?

You wish.  biggrin.gif

 

I have a DHC Molecule SE 1/4" and the stock cable.

post #407 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

You wish.  biggrin.gif

 

I have a DHC Molecule SE 1/4" and the stock cable.

 

 

Dang.  evil_smiley.gif

post #408 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSeven View Post

I would love to hear your opinion when you tried them together. Don't know that much bout tubes so I don't have any in mind.smily_headphones1.gif



unfortunately I'm not from the USA so it would be way 2 xpensive 2 ship it 2 my location. so at least as buyer I'm out. triportsad.gif

Well, they are here and I have only had a little while to audition with the T1. So far though they pair quite nicely. I'm using them with a '63 Amperex Bugle Boy with "D" getter and it is quite a difference between the AKG K 702 anniversary and HD 700. The 700 has much more of that top end sparkle, and to my ears it isn't fatiguing in the least. The AKG seems to be able to keep up in terms of breadth of soundstage, but doesn't measure up in terms of depth or separation. The HD 700 is far more resolving and there is much more detail present. I also find the HD 700 to be more musical in its presentation too. Overall I am really happy with these cans, the only thing I am not crazy about is the cable which has a mind of its own it seems.

I really like the Aune/HD combo, it does well with older tubes, amperex particularly. I'll play around a bit with other tubes and give some impressions in a few days. So far I don't see where the 700 hate comes in other than some weird graphs, price and construction (?). The graphs don't really correlate to what I'm hearing, at the refurb price it seems like a good deal and the "plastics" are much sturdier than they appear in photos.

Going to spend more time with these and decide whether to unload the K 702s (right now I'm leaning towards selling.)
post #409 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post


Well, they are here and I have only had a little while to audition with the T1. So far though they pair quite nicely. I'm using them with a '63 Amperex Bugle Boy with "D" getter and it is quite a difference between the AKG K 702 anniversary and HD 700. The 700 has much more of that top end sparkle, and to my ears it isn't fatiguing in the least. The AKG seems to be able to keep up in terms of breadth of soundstage, but doesn't measure up in terms of depth or separation. The HD 700 is far more resolving and there is much more detail present. I also find the HD 700 to be more musical in its presentation too. Overall I am really happy with these cans, the only thing I am not crazy about is the cable which has a mind of its own it seems.

I really like the Aune/HD combo, it does well with older tubes, amperex particularly. I'll play around a bit with other tubes and give some impressions in a few days. So far I don't see where the 700 hate comes in other than some weird graphs, price and construction (?). The graphs don't really correlate to what I'm hearing, at the refurb price it seems like a good deal and the "plastics" are much sturdier than they appear in photos.

Going to spend more time with these and decide whether to unload the K 702s (right now I'm leaning towards selling.)

Hmmmm, your making it more tempting to get these once my AD2000X sells.  The only other 2 I'm considering right now is saving for a used HD800 or a new Fostex TH600.  How is the bass on the HD-700 compared to the K702 65th?  Would you say it's at least on the same level or even more present on the HD700?  I don't consider myself a basshead but like enough bass to represent all genres fairly.

 

I really like the K702 65th in terms of soundstage, smoothness, and sense of space but could use a little more treble sparkle and snap/pop to the sound without getting too fatiguing.  The AD2000X added better speed, punch, and transient response, but less sense of space and was a little more fatiguing in upper mids than I prefer.

 

Also, I can't help but wonder if these "factory refurb" units have had some kind of damping tweak applied by the factory after reading alot of the initial reviews.


Edited by JWahl - 2/18/13 at 5:26pm
post #410 of 7120
They definitely bring more bass to the table, and it is much punchier, cleaner, and agile. The HD 700 wins on bass with this particular amp. I am going to qualify that though because I've only heard the HD 700 with the Aune T1 and a Peachtree nova125 at the hi-fi shop. The AKGs might do better with another amp (I tried the AKGs with both amps as well) but I doubt it.

YMMV, my ears are my ears.

BTW I haven't used any EQ on these comparisons, and it isn't really fair to compare the two either. The anniversary version of the 702 smokes the HD 650 in a similar price point, and its no shame to be shown up only by $800+ headphones. The anniversary 702s are still a very good headphone IMO and a great value for the money.
Edited by toschek - 2/18/13 at 6:05pm
post #411 of 7120

Not one to dismiss the value of high quality amplification (I am waiting on an Asgaard 2 for these after all), I can say that these are very easy to drive. For example, I am using the amp section of my iBasso D-Zero and am amazed at how clean and dynamic the sound is from admittedly high quality lossless sources. I hear no overly bright characteristic whatsoever - just clean, delicate treble.  Now I will say these are not forgiving of <300K lossy content and may in fact exaggerate its upper-midrange grunge. But feed these well-recorded high-bit or analog sources and they sing. Their high sensitivity coupled with their high output capability can have you running them at higher than normal or safe volume levels as you expect dynamic compression to step in.  However, it does not which leaves it to my ears to do so. In that regard, I can see why some may call these shreeky. Simply lowering the volume a bit to save your ears does the trick - at least for me.

 

As a point of reference I always play some live classical performances that I recorded and mastered in the 80's using flown, crossed, figure-8 Scheops (Blumlein configuration) mics. I had used at the time Stax Lambda's+TRM-1 for monitoring. Though I am still compiling my notes, the HD700's are the first non-electrostatic headphones I've heard that capture the speed, detail, subtlety and imaging of a live classical performance, but don't suffer from any dynamic compression. I'm having serious funsmile_phones.gif!!!

post #412 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

They definitely bring more bass to the table, and it is much punchier, cleaner, and agile. The HD 700 wins on bass with this particular amp. I am going to qualify that though because I've only heard the HD 700 with the Aune T1 and a Peachtree nova125 at the hi-fi shop. The AKGs might do better with another amp (I tried the AKGs with both amps as well) but I doubt it.

YMMV, my ears are my ears.

BTW I haven't used any EQ on these comparisons, and it isn't really fair to compare the two either. The anniversary version of the 702 smokes the HD 650 in a similar price point, and its no shame to be shown up only by $800+ headphones. The anniversary 702s are still a very good headphone IMO and a great value for the money.

 

Thanks, No shame at all in the comparison.  I feel like the K702 65th punches above it's pricepoint as well, just want to make sure the HD-700 would be a reasonable improvement.  My amp is slightly warm and spacious without being tubey sounding and source is very balanced and detailed for the price so I think it could be a good match.  

 

So now it's down to these or Fostex TH600 for me.  HD800 I think can wait for now until I get some more listening time at a meet.

post #413 of 7120
I'd like to hear some music the 700s allegedly don't do well with if anyone has some links to source material. I'm not talking about low quality (<320 MP3s, etc.), but actual tunes where the 700 is supposed to fall down and stab you in the ears with nasty treble spikes. I see a lot of claims to this effect to justify trashing the 700s in comments, but I'd like to hear some actual examples before my return period is over.

If anyone can provide some examples, please let me know in comments or pm -- I only have 20 days to get an RMA. Thanks smily_headphones1.gif

Also, @JWhal -- if you're not turned off by refurbed headphones, give Crutchfield a look, I got the HD 700s there for $739 flat, no tax or shipping costs. They also throw in 2 additional years of warranty coverage for free. I was impressed!
Edited by toschek - 2/18/13 at 7:38pm
post #414 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

I'd like to hear some music the 700s allegedly don't do well with if anyone has some links to source material. I'm not talking about low quality (<320 MP3s, etc.), but actual tunes where the 700 is supposed to fall down and stab you in the ears with nasty treble spikes. I see a lot of claims to this effect to justify trashing the 700s in comments, but I'd like to hear some actual examples before my return period is over.

If anyone can provide some examples, please let me know in comments or pm -- I only have 20 days to get an RMA. Thanks smily_headphones1.gif
 

Anything by Skrillex will kill your ears, HD700s or not. :D

 

I KEED, I KEED! very_evil_smiley.gif

post #415 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

I'd like to hear some music the 700s allegedly don't do well with if anyone has some links to source material. I'm not talking about low quality (<320 MP3s, etc.), but actual tunes where the 700 is supposed to fall down and stab you in the ears with nasty treble spikes. I see a lot of claims to this effect to justify trashing the 700s in comments, but I'd like to hear some actual examples before my return period is over.

If anyone can provide some examples, please let me know in comments or pm -- I only have 20 days to get an RMA. Thanks smily_headphones1.gif

Also, @JWhal -- if you're not turned off by refurbed headphones, give Crutchfield a look, I got the HD 700s there for $739 flat, no tax or shipping costs. They also throw in 2 additional years of warranty coverage for free. I was impressed!

four year strong - enemy of the world is the most sibilant recording I found yet if you want some taste of this ear stabbin and it wasnt possible to listen 2 it with the 700 imo beyersmile.png

post #416 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

 

Thanks, No shame at all in the comparison.  I feel like the K702 65th punches above it's pricepoint as well, just want to make sure the HD-700 would be a reasonable improvement.  My amp is slightly warm and spacious without being tubey sounding and source is very balanced and detailed for the price so I think it could be a good match.  

 

So now it's down to these or Fostex TH600 for me.  HD800 I think can wait for now until I get some more listening time at a meet.

I wouldn't go for the k-702 65th if they still the same as the k 701! they don't come close to the sennheiser in over all fidelity IMO and they are overpriced in comparison to the k-701 if you can live with the k-701 cable/design. So if I had to choose I would give up the K701 without hesitation.. but don't get me wrong they are not bad cans per se by any means! The 700 is just so good

post #417 of 7120

I thought to help members get an idea of the unique construction of the HD700's that I would post some pictures of them disassembled.

 

Obviously this is the ear-cup plug. Note the keyed connector and the raised edge that locks it into the driver. Looks like its going to be a special mold for cable suppliers.

 

This is the ear housing with the pad and headband removed. Note the metal righthand (front) arm and how securely it mounts to the enclosure. The asymmetrical mounting and arm materials appear to support Sennheiser's claim of reducing resonances and vibrations. The top mount cover has torx screws that thread into the outer posts' holes and the middle hole is an alignment post. 

 

 

 

This is an interior view of the rear supporting arm. The supporting ribs are curved.

 

 

This is an interior close-up view of the driver,

 

 

 

This is the rear of the ear pad. Note the interlocking edge. I find it snaps into place quite securely, but needs to be precisely aligned before it will seat.

 

 

Finally, here is a closeup of the headband post. The groove is captured by the mounting cover and housing back while the flat profile acts as stops for the ear cups rotation.

 

I hope these help to answer the construction questions.


Edited by Mark-sf - 2/20/13 at 12:06am
post #418 of 7120

Being as though you disassembled them, does it look like it would be easy to hardwire them?

post #419 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Being as though you disassembled them, does it look like it would be easy to hardwire them?


It does not look like it is possible to hardwire them without surgery. If you take a look at the interior picture, there is no access to the driver wiring or the female connector. It is sealed on both sides. It appears that should a driver be blown, the whole ear assembly less pad and mount arms needs to be replaced.
Edited by Mark-sf - 2/20/13 at 1:17pm
post #420 of 7120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-sf View Post


It does not look like it is possible to hardwire them without surgery. If you take a look at the interior picture, there is no access to the driver wiring or the female connector. It is sealed on both sides. It appears that should a driver be blown, the whole ear assembly less pad and mount arms needs to be replaced.

 

I did some further checking and it appears that the gray outer shell can be removed as there is a pry slot aligned with the back arm's pivot and there is some give around the cover's outer edge. This may allow for removal of the jack and hardwiring. I however, have no plans to attempt this. I also looked for an exploded view as I have sometimes seen in collateral but could not fine one. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread