Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 27

post #391 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post

 

I hate the term "plastic" when it comes to describing headphones like this.

 

It implies cheap and nasty.

 

Where the truth is that the "plastic" is a sophisticated aerospace polymer designed to do the job and is far better than metal for the job.

True. Even the interior of an airplane cabin is lined with plastic polymers all over and this is just one of a few layers protecting you from the atmosphere and oblivion below!

 

Price is based on what a person values something to be worth it to them. I am in Singapore visiting and I see condos which are priced beyond $2000SGD/sqft that I wouldn't see folks paying, even in San Francisco Bay Area for. Then again, the value and pricing that folks place on these is different than what I would be comfortable or agreeable to. Why do you think folks would never move away from Kansas or Texas, knowing that they have acres of land and a home worth <$50/sqft?

 

Same with anything else, same with headphones. At the used price, the HD700s are well worth it to me, more so than the HD800s used pricing. I wouldn't pay retail for these though.

post #392 of 2111

@ the $730 I paid for a refurb pair from Crutchfield I felt brave enough to take the plunge, I am sure that at $1000 I'd never even consider the idea.   I'm still questioning my purchase because I haven't actually received them yet (UPS says tomorrow.)   I loved them in the store for the hour I spent with them, but at this point 7 days later I'm not sure I did the right thing.

 

Tomorrow I will have changed my mind and be head over heels I suspect and getting ready to list my 65 K702s,   I just need to stop GASSING and start listening to music already :)

 

Today this sounded fantastic with a '63 Amperex Bugle Boy D Getter, 1963 Johannes Brahms – Brahms: 7 Fantasies Op. 116, 3 Intermezzos Op. 117, Haydn Variations Op. 56b on my current setup.


Edited by toschek - 2/18/13 at 3:34am
post #393 of 2111

has anyone tried the 700 with magni/modi or Aune T1?


Edited by DrSeven - 2/18/13 at 4:06am
post #394 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzleraddict View Post

Price is based on what a person values something to be worth it to them.

I  think it's also the reverse, Sennheiser  fix the price first, and then people change their perceptions / expectations according to the price.

There's also a kind of snobbish effect here, where people tends to underestimate anything that is not enough priced.

Now I'm sure the hd700 has some potential, but I  would take the reviews with a grain of salt, for the reasons I've just mentioned.

post #395 of 2111

I think that if you disregard(or at least try) the price of the 700 it's one of the all time great headphones. People bash it because of price/performance. Let's try and review it only for the performance.

post #396 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSeven View Post

has anyone tried the 700 with magni/modi or Aune T1?

I'll be able to talk to this tomorrow. I'm using a T1 until my Lyr shows up Wednesday, then selling the T1 if anyone is interested. Do you have any particular tube in mind to try with? PM me and I'll tell you which tubes I have around to test with.
post #397 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post

Also want suggestions of other great amps that have good synergy with the hd700.
 

I enjoy the HD 700s with a DNA Sonett.  Since you didn't get too many replies I figured I'd throw that out there, and since you're looking at Woo amps, it kind of fits in with your price range.  

post #398 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post


I'll be able to talk to this tomorrow. I'm using a T1 until my Lyr shows up Wednesday, then selling the T1 if anyone is interested. Do you have any particular tube in mind to try with? PM me and I'll tell you which tubes I have around to test with.

I would love to hear your opinion when you tried them together. Don't know that much bout tubes so I don't have any in mind.smily_headphones1.gif

 

 

unfortunately I'm not from the USA so it would be way 2 xpensive 2 ship it 2 my location. so at least as buyer I'm out. triportsad.gif

post #399 of 2111

Close.. I tried it with the Magni/Bifrost.  Thought, why not, may make good for a second system with the Dragonfly.  I ran it the Magni/Bifrost for almost 2 weeks continuously and sold the Magni. Just didn't work for me, screeching bright. Ahhh, the Lyr.

You guys got me intrigued with the Aune T1 but I'm keeping a close eye on the Woo WA7 (yeah, 5x the price)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSeven View Post

has anyone tried the 700 with magni/modi or Aune T1?

post #400 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Close.. I tried it with the Magni/Bifrost.  Thought, why not, may make good for a second system with the Dragonfly.  I ran it the Magni/Bifrost for almost 2 weeks continuously and sold the Magni. Just didn't work for me, screeching bright. Ahhh, the Lyr.

You guys got me intrigued with the Aune T1 but I'm keeping a close eye on the Woo WA7 (yeah, 5x the price)

Thx for that info! I think the 700 is already very bright so any more of it would have been unbearable for me

 

Would be interesting to see which one is more synergistic and maybe a comparison for people with a tight budget

post #401 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

 Thought, why not, may make good for a second system with the Dragonfly.

btw how good is the dragonfly? and how much power has it? looks really interesting for a portable choice

post #402 of 2111

The DF is really good.  It does not have the grunt and dynamics of a full desktop system but for causal listening, it's really, really nice. Perfect for a portable system and it's my around the house preferred setup when I'm out of reach of my main rig. Would definitely recommend the DragonTail to go with it. For me, it's a keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSeven View Post

btw how good is the dragonfly? and how much power has it? looks really interesting for a portable choice

post #403 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

The DF is really good.  It does not have the grunt and dynamics of a full desktop system but for causal listening, it's really, really nice. Perfect for a portable system and it's my around the house preferred setup when I'm out of reach of my main rig. Would definitely recommend the DragonTail to go with it. For me, it's a keeper.

nice! thanks for your impressions 

post #404 of 2111
I also took the plunge at a refurb from Crutchfield. Normally I would not consider purchasing the HD700 @ 1k.
Boy am I glad it was from Crutchfield because the refurb had a bad left driver (it clicks on heavy kick drum). Called them up and they're sending out a brand new one as replacement.
I did get some time with it on an E17 and it sounded really good besides the click. This is my first open headphone so I'm used to the tight bass from closed cans and this is my only complaint so far. A little bass boost from the E17 brought most of that bass back and it just sounded great to my ears. The highs weren't too bright at all. I'm now saving for a Bottlehead Crack and possibly making a diy cable...this is getting expensive. biggrin.gif
post #405 of 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eee Pee View Post

I enjoy the HD 700s with a DNA Sonett.  Since you didn't get too many replies I figured I'd throw that out there, and since you're looking at Woo amps, it kind of fits in with your price range.  

 

 

Eee,

 

Do you have a balanced cable for your 700s?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread