or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 217

post #3241 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


So HD700 > EL8?


nope, more like "different strokes for different folks"

 

I got the EL8 for when I travel since it folds flat and is easy to drive, not to use at home, I have my LCD-2f if I want Audeze sound.

 

HD-700 was for its sound stage with classical, some classic rock and for movies, granted with the Project Ember and a bugle boy (tames the highs) it can be a good all around phone IMO.

post #3242 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
 


Can I ask why you think the HD700's are better than the T1?  I was looking a getting a T1 down the line

I think the tone of these sound better for my taste. The instrument seperation is so good on these. I can't knock the T1's however. I would have to do a sided by side to look at the clear winner. I can say the T1 was more comfortable to me as the HD700 seems big on me. I think maybe the HD700 is just more engaging to me. 

post #3243 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
 

I think the tone of these sound better for my taste. The instrument seperation is so good on these. I can't knock the T1's however. I would have to do a sided by side to look at the clear winner. I can say the T1 was more comfortable to me as the HD700 seems big on me. I think maybe the HD700 is just more engaging to me. 


thanks for the reply, was looking on the T1 thread and there wasn't much hype on there, maybe because of canjam

post #3244 of 7128

I personally don't like the T1 much at all. I think I would rather pick something like the HD650 or AKG K701 over it most of the time. Actually, when I owned the T1, I found myself reach for my AKG Q701 95% of the time. 

 

The T1 is really a bright headphone, and overall, I didn't find it a very technically capable headphone either. 

post #3245 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post

I doubt it could be definitively said that one is "better" than the other. Just depends on which aspects of sound are more important to the individual. That being said, it would suck for me if I, say, traded an HD 700 (or HE-500) for an EL-8 and ended up liking the gone headphone more.

Thats what I figured but in tetms of resolution?

Thanks everyone for the response! I think Imma hold on a little and think overnight. (I have no chance to test before I buy but I wanted something I can listen to it with everything for anything and allow long listening sessions to take place. Both the HD700 and EL8 seems to fit into this category)
post #3246 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post
 


What is so wrong with the company(Sennheiser), that started the high end headphone game, that you prefer another brand even without hearing the product? And why did you purchase the HD700 then at all? I am super interested in the EL8 myself, but I will wait until it is available in my area for sure.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post
 

LOL Can't get any more fanboyish than this post here.

 

EASY there, guys...I happen to prefer Audeze over Sennheiser...it's as simple as that. No need to get all up in arms 

 

To date, I have had two terrible experiences with Sennheiser products - the 518 and the Amperiors. Hated both of them. I also had one excellent experience - the HD800. So that's why I'm pulling the trigger on the HD700...it was a great deal, too good to pass up, and they likely have more in common with the HD800s than they do the other Senns I mentioned. 

post #3247 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


Thats what I figured but in tetms of resolution?

Thanks everyone for the response! I think Imma hold on a little and think overnight. (I have no chance to test before I buy but I wanted something I can listen to it with everything for anything and allow long listening sessions to take place. Both the HD700 and EL8 seems to fit into this category)


Don't know it you ever considered a Fidelio X1 vs EL8, they have similar sound signatures IMO.  The HD-700 is a really different sound from either the EL8 or X1, I could see using the X1 or newer X2 as an all around set of cans, very comfortable, good bass (little bloated at times), good mids and smooth highs.  The HD-700 is a little picky with what amp you use, my girlfriend will only use the Teac AH-01 (warm amp) or the Ember with a Bugle boy tube to mellow out the highs.  She is more sensitive to highs than I am so I always ask for her take on when judging. 

post #3248 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
 


HD-700 way more comfortable and much lighter

For me that's enough to never even consider the EL8 ._.

post #3249 of 7128

I wonder at my own set of.....eclectic gear, especially cans, and I can't decide if I'm versatile or simply clueless as to what I want. So far, all the cans I've tried......I like, hence my ever expanding collection. Heck, even now, though I'd failed at negotiating for a TH900 and LCD XC, I'm in the midst of acquiring a HE500 bundled with an Audeze Q Cable with HiFiMan adapters. Also had someone make me two cables, one for my HD700 and the other the K812. For me, it wasn't for any sonic enhancements, rather, it's for convenience as I listen to music on my PC's (PCM, 329kbps MP3's and DSD) sitting in front of my desk, hence I need shorter length cables. This is for my K812, will post pic of the HD700 one when I get it....they aren't expensive cables, I can't afford those, the two cables will cost me a total of about 120USD.

post #3250 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
 


Don't know it you ever considered a Fidelio X1 vs EL8, they have similar sound signatures IMO.  The HD-700 is a really different sound from either the EL8 or X1, I could see using the X1 or newer X2 as an all around set of cans, very comfortable, good bass (little bloated at times), good mids and smooth highs.  The HD-700 is a little picky with what amp you use, my girlfriend will only use the Teac AH-01 (warm amp) or the Ember with a Bugle boy tube to mellow out the highs.  She is more sensitive to highs than I am so I always ask for her take on when judging. 

hmmm... I hope the EL8 does not have the bloated bass and recessed mids of X1? Those are the only problems I had with them other than that, I love those cans equally as my Annie 

post #3251 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 

hmmm... I hope the EL8 does not have the bloated bass and recessed mids of X1? Those are the only problems I had with them other than that, I love those cans equally as my Annie 


you might want to check out the X2, most say it corrects all of the X1's short comings.

post #3252 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidA View Post


you might want to check out the X2, most say it corrects all of the X1's short comings.

You mentioned in other thread that the HD700 is better for desktop use compared to the EL8? Since I'm planning to buy the new headphone to be for fully desktop use I guess the HD700 use then @.@

As for the X2 just affraid the midrange may be still a little sucked out? Or am I just worrying too much.

I have tried the T90 but its way too bright to sound natural but other than that, this is pretty good!
post #3253 of 7128
Trying to decide if I should wait to compare the Oppo PM-2 to the Audeze EL-8, or just jump into a pair of HD700s now and (hopefully) be done with it.

I had K701s, replaced them with K712s but sold them off because of a comfort issue caused by their new pad's firmness combined with their sagging on my head. Picked up a pair of HD650s to hold me over (had HD580/600 previously) and I'm not a big fan at all, just seem far too laid back and polite for me. The AKG K712s reminded me a lot of my speakers and if it wasn't for the comfort issue I'd likely have stopped there. I see some here prefer the HD700 to the K712 so that combined with my being unimpressed with the Oppo PM-1 (with orig leather pads) and the poor EL-8 impressions has me wodndering if the HD700 would hit my sweet spot.

Thoughts?

Bill
post #3254 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post

Trying to decide if I should wait to compare the Oppo PM-2 to the Audeze EL-8, or just jump into a pair of HD700s now and (hopefully) be done with it.

I had K701s, replaced them with K712s but sold them off because of a comfort issue caused by their new pad's firmness combined with their sagging on my head. Picked up a pair of HD650s to hold me over (had HD580/600 previously) and I'm not a big fan at all, just seem far too laid back and polite for me. The AKG K712s reminded me a lot of my speakers and if it wasn't for the comfort issue I'd likely have stopped there. I see some here prefer the HD700 to the K712 so that combined with my being unimpressed with the Oppo PM-1 (with orig leather pads) and the poor EL-8 impressions has me wodndering if the HD700 would hit my sweet spot.

Thoughts?

Bill


At the current prices for the HD-700 I think its a better headphone than my EL8 open.  Only thing you have to watch is the amp that you use, I like the HD-700 with my Project Ember with Bugle Boy tubes or on my Teac A-01.  Both of these amps tame the highs of the HD-700.  I haven't heard any AKG phones so I can't comment there.  If I want bright I use a RS2e.

post #3255 of 7128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post

Trying to decide if I should wait to compare the Oppo PM-2 to the Audeze EL-8, or just jump into a pair of HD700s now and (hopefully) be done with it.

I had K701s, replaced them with K712s but sold them off because of a comfort issue caused by their new pad's firmness combined with their sagging on my head. Picked up a pair of HD650s to hold me over (had HD580/600 previously) and I'm not a big fan at all, just seem far too laid back and polite for me. The AKG K712s reminded me a lot of my speakers and if it wasn't for the comfort issue I'd likely have stopped there. I see some here prefer the HD700 to the K712 so that combined with my being unimpressed with the Oppo PM-1 (with orig leather pads) and the poor EL-8 impressions has me wodndering if the HD700 would hit my sweet spot.

Thoughts?

Bill

 

I will post impressions of the HD 700 once I receive it sometime in the next 16 hours.

 

I have the opposite predicament: despite so many people saying the HD 700 is better than the EL-8, and so on, I am still curious to try the EL-8...but know that I should just go for an HD 800 when I can.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread