Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 19

post #271 of 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulb View Post

yeah in the us the HD700's are 1000 dollars and the LCD-2's 995

that similarities in price seem to match the ones where i am, the HD700 is RM3899 and the LCD2 is RM3800. so i guess for some it is a valid comparision.
 

post #272 of 1781
I've had both and the hd700's are the ones I kept. Since then I bought a Woo WA2
amp that IMO takes the 700 up a level.
Hibuck....
post #273 of 1781

After owning these headphones for about three months I have tried various setups and now I am complete in love with them without a shadow of doubt.

At first they irritated my hears after a few hours of listening to the point that I could not listen even at a very low volume.

Now I have creative titanium hd(stock opamps) with a Bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade. The Crack with the stock tubes did not sound that great and I felt that I did not get my money's worth.

Now I am running the Crack with a Sylvania 6080 Gold Branded tube and a Sylvania 5814A and they hit the sweet spot. Been listening now for about 5 hours straight and I could listen like this for a whole week.

Also with this setup and by tweaking the bass from the titanium hd I find the HD700 great with all kinds of music genres. Dubstep was a big surprise for me, before the Sylvania tubes I felt disappointed with the cans but now they have such a controlled bass that goes very low with plenty of volume. At the moment the Sylvania tube combination is the only one that do not irritate my ears, all the other tubes do(RCA 6080,Sylvania 6080, Raytheon 6080, Electro-Harmonix 12au7, RCA 5963). I believe that the laid back nature of the Sylvania tubes really tames the HD700's and makes them shine without sacrificing detail or instrument separation.
 

post #274 of 1781

This pretty much mirrors my experience. I have definitely had a love/hate relationship with the HD700 but once I rolled some Amperex Orange Globes into my Lyr, the magic started to happen. This combo is a great all rounder and I can listen to almost anything from Classic Frank Sinatra to Deadmous5 and anything in between.  It's all about synergy. Glad you found your sweet spot.  The HD700 can really shine with the right setup.

Happy Listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m17xr2b View Post

After owning these headphones for about three months I have tried various setups and now I am complete in love with them without a shadow of doubt.

At first they irritated my hears after a few hours of listening to the point that I could not listen even at a very low volume.

 

Now I am running the Crack with a Sylvania 6080 Gold Branded tube and a Sylvania 5814A and they hit the sweet spot. Been listening now for about 5 hours straight and I could listen like this for a whole week.

 

post #275 of 1781

hey guys I have the HD700 now for a little while (chose them over the Hd800 cause they sounded more pleasant for my taste) and love them with my colorfly c4 ( cant stop listening). But I was wondering if I could get even more sound quality with another audio source ( dac/amp combo or cd player). Could anyone recommend something for about 500 $? Thx very much!


Edited by DrSeven - 1/20/13 at 6:27am
post #276 of 1781

Hi Guys just bought these Sennheiser HD 700 from a Shop in UK. Took the mesh cover off to check if everything was intact and found this dent on the dome of the drive. It does not appear to be a hole but I still find it very disconcerting that I just paid £600 pounds for a pair of headphones to find something like this. Please can anyone give me some input as to what this might be. Or should I contact straight Sennheiser UK and ask for help? Thanks a lot guys. And I would appreciate highly if someone from Sennheiser can reply directly to me. Just bought them today. 

post #277 of 1781

not sure how much the dome affects the sound but my friend with a massive dent on the dome (like someone pushed it in with their finger) still sounds okay, not sure about the HD700 though, anyway i think ringing them up once cant do any harm (except phone charges)

post #278 of 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasimoa View Post

 

Hi Guys just bought these Sennheiser HD 700 from a Shop in UK. Took the mesh cover off to check if everything was intact and found this dent on the dome of the drive.

I see nothing on your pic. Probably the dent passed the sennheiser quality test, as it doesn't affect significantly the sound.

post #279 of 1781

well the most important thing is that is sounds okay. im pretty sure this tiny dent wont make any much audible difference in sound.

post #280 of 1781

Sub.biggrin.gif

 

Really thinking about buying these.

post #281 of 1781

Thanks guys for the replies. I will contact the shop tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. I have HD650's and they are perfect without any dents or anything. Why Sennheiser does not seal its hi-end products is beyond me. I bought the Amperior and that came with two tamper proof black tabs. Why does a £600 headphone have no tamper proof seal. A question I would like to ask Sennheiser.

post #282 of 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasimoa View Post

Thanks guys for the replies. I will contact the shop tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. I have HD650's and they are perfect without any dents or anything. Why Sennheiser does not seal its hi-end products is beyond me. I bought the Amperior and that came with two tamper proof black tabs. Why does a £600 headphone have no tamper proof seal. A question I would like to ask Sennheiser.

any sort of grill or protection netting affects the sound and mostly in a negative way. i actually removed the inner lining of my own pair of sennheisers (not HD700 though, just a HD558) and the sound became more crisp, not night an day, but noticable to some degree. if dust falls on the dome i would then just brush it off with a super soft needle tip paintbrush

post #283 of 1781

The HD700s on great gear are a significant step up from the HD650s to my ears. There is MUCH more clarity, the bass is not muddy (think "faster" bass) and more accurate than the HD650s. The 650 "veil" is probably more noticeable going on the comparison between these 2 headphones than others. The 650 sounds a bit more "fuller" as if there's added bloom to the sound whereas the 700s veer on the side of neutral a little bit more. HD800s, for the month I had it, are definitely the neutral king and I'll need to borrow it from my friend to do a proper comparison across the 3 top headphones of Sennheiser's dynamic can range.

 

There's just so much goodness going right on the HD700s that it's very hard to find fault in the flaws that some have mentioned.

post #284 of 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzleraddict View Post

 HD800s, for the month I had it, are definitely the neutral king

There have a treble emphasis near 6k, the reason of the anaxilus mod. I've also seen report of people unhappy with their brightness after trying many amp. Personally I  use an eq.

post #285 of 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by twizzleraddict View Post

The HD700s on great gear are a significant step up from the HD650s to my ears. There is MUCH more clarity, the bass is not muddy (think "faster" bass) and more accurate than the HD650s. The 650 "veil" is probably more noticeable going on the comparison between these 2 headphones than others. The 650 sounds a bit more "fuller" as if there's added bloom to the sound whereas the 700s veer on the side of neutral a little bit more. HD800s, for the month I had it, are definitely the neutral king and I'll need to borrow it from my friend to do a proper comparison across the 3 top headphones of Sennheiser's dynamic can range.

 

There's just so much goodness going right on the HD700s that it's very hard to find fault in the flaws that some have mentioned.

 

How about compared to the HD600s?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread