Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 130

post #1936 of 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

I remember reading quite a bit that the hd700 wasn't worth it, I'm so glad I got them anyways. A couple years ago when I first started paying attention to headphones, I started out with the Porta Pro, then moved quickly to the grado sr80. About a year after my next big upgrade was to the he400, which sounded amazing but was a little to far back in the mids. I spent 5 months making that decision and was strongly considering the momentum and the hd558. A year later is when I saw the deal of a lifetime on the hd700, which I had thought out of my range. During all this time when is see a sale, I'd usually bite so I could expand my horizons. Some i would like, some like the hd598 brought disappointment. This is the first headphone that out of the box I loved unconditionally, much like a fine steak, although I would not eat the hd700. It handles most genres quite well, which is important to me. It also doesn't hurt that it has an amazing look.

I'd write more, but im on a tablet.

I'm not a fan of the look, like other people have said before, it looks like an evil HD800 lol. 

 

I started out with some IE8s, then TF-10s, B2s and then finally a pair of high end UM Miracles. The best decision I have made so far was to move to a full-sized setup. 

post #1937 of 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

I'm not a fan of the look, like other people have said before, it looks like an evil HD800 lol. 

I started out with some IE8s, then TF-10s, B2s and then finally a pair of high end UM Miracles. The best decision I have made so far was to move to a full-sized setup. 

I've tried IEMs as well, but I've had so many comfort issues with them that I'm only using comply tips, and can't really get myself to spend much on them. The best I have are the Dunu DN-K and the Hifiman RE-262. I even have a couple of ear clips i like.
post #1938 of 2050

IMO the same amount of money can buy you a better desktop setup than a portable one. Obviously some people may disagree. 

post #1939 of 2050
At really low levels portable seems to win out. I'm inclined to agree with you at mid range and higher.
post #1940 of 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

At really low levels portable seems to win out. I'm inclined to agree with you at mid range and higher.

Yeah, for under $100 you can't really get any really good headphones that can compete with the likes of the RE-400. 

 

Let's get back on track, sorry for derailing the thread. 

post #1941 of 2050

I got mine here used for under $500 so I'm happy with that if in the end I don't love them I'll pass that savings along to someone else here but I have lot of listening to do still. I also never said I'm using mainly an Aune T1 w/ orange globe halo version to drive them.

 

I think there is a middle ground here untouched between the 650 and 700. To me that extra bass I talked about, that I said does get in the way of detail on the 650's , also at the same time brings depth and life to the sound. Giving it to me a more realistic sound. The 700's preform better but they lack that extra depth or realism I think. They sound very high centric but when bass does kick in it shines but they don't have that depth giving the sound more weight leaving instruments at times flat compared to the 650's.

 

So I say the perfect HP is somewhere in between the two. Maybe I should just stop trying to solve this riddle after all I was just curious really having bought the HD 560 II's 20 years ago and their detail is unmatched to my ears, but they lack mid and deep bass. But as we can see with the 650's that can also get in the way. Hmm it's a hard call maybe I'll check out the 800's I don't feel they are where I"m wanting to go but to just have a listen.

 

The for sale forum for me has been priceless in this journey to improve on my old HD 560's. I skipped the 600's as I figure by how they're described they're basically my 560's but with a veil. If anyone who says Senn has no veil I think if you heard the old HD 560's you'd know what that means. There is just this every bit of detail lacking. The 700's certainly remove most of that really they are a damn nice HP.

 

I am interested in bottlehead crack one day maybe, interested in Fiio 17 portable but who knows. I really do love the sound of the Aune right now, I feel the Orange Globes give me sweet highs and overall great sound. I'd love to hear 600 and 800's and with the for sale forums help maybe one day I'll get there too.

post #1942 of 2050

Glad to hear that you are liking them. I also own the HD600, HD650 and HD800, but an earlier hd800 serial (3 years old or so) - your impressions are how I see them as well. I tended to prefer the HD600 or HD650 over the HD700 myself though, as I tend to prefer a warmer/bassier sound signature. 

post #1943 of 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyZH View Post
 

Glad to hear that you are liking them. I also own the HD600, HD650 and HD800, but an earlier hd800 serial (3 years old or so) - your impressions are how I see them as well. I tended to prefer the HD600 or HD650 over the HD700 myself though, as I tend to prefer a warmer/bassier sound signature. 

I see, how do you find the HD800, too bright? 

 

You have a LCD-3 right, they are the king of warm headphones. 

post #1944 of 2050

Well, my sound preferences depend a bit on the genres I'm listening to at the time. I mainly stick to warmer/bassier because my most listened to styles are different genres of electronic music.

 

I own headphones that are bright, warm, dark, U shaped. 

 

The HD800/T1 for me is what I always use for classical, Ambient, Ambient/electronic, world and soundtracks.

 

I actually have a LCD2 rev 2 not a LCD3, but very soon I'm considering getting a LCDX or XC. 

 

The HD700 was a can that I didn't consider keeping in my collection so much due to preferring the Beyer T1 and HD800 to them for the genres I tended to listen to them with.

post #1945 of 2050

I demoed the LCD-X and I was quite impressed by it, but I still like the HD800 more. IMO it is almost perfect, a little more bass would be nice. 

 

BTW what do you use as a closed can (if any)? 

post #1946 of 2050

I have a TH600, Alpha Dog, JVC DX1000 and Signature DJ.

 

I only use the Signature DJ portably. 

 

The TH600 may soon see itself out the door - I've flip flopped on selling it off for a while. 

 

The Alpha Dog and JVC DX1000 are my go to.

 

I still need to audition the FAD Pandora Hope 6 yet, and I've got a ZMF x Vibro on the way to try out. Depending on the result of what that sounds like, the Alpha Dog might get sold. 

 

Technically I brought a Feenix Aria, but I'm giving that to a friend for his 21st birthday. 

 

I've added all my cans to my signature.

post #1947 of 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyZH View Post
 

I have a TH600, Alpha Dog, JVC DX1000 and Signature DJ.

 

I only use the Signature DJ portably. 

 

The TH600 may soon see itself out the door - I've flip flopped on selling it off for a while. 

 

The Alpha Dog and JVC DX1000 are my go to.

 

I still need to audition the FAD Pandora Hope 6 yet, and I've got a ZMF x Vibro on the way to try out. Depending on the result of what that sounds like, the Alpha Dog might get sold. 

 

Technically I brought a Feenix Aria, but I'm giving that to a friend for his 21st birthday. 

 

I've added all my cans to my signature.

Nice! Do you find the TH600 overly bright, or is the treble on HD700 levels? 

post #1948 of 2050

No brighter than a HD800 or HD700. The treble spike is very narrow and in the lower treble, for me its not an issue at all except on some poor recordings, for 90% of my stuff its fine. Although, its a dry sounding can because its got slightly pulled back mids. I personally want to keep them, but sometimes the thought goes to selling them - for not other reason than to not have such a mind boggling number of cans haha.

post #1949 of 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyZH View Post
 

No brighter than a HD800 or HD700. The treble spike is very narrow and in the lower treble, for me its not an issue at all except on some poor recordings, for 90% of my stuff its fine. Although, its a dry sounding can because its got slightly pulled back mids. I personally want to keep them, but sometimes the thought goes to selling them - for not other reason than to not have such a mind boggling number of cans haha.

Haha. Well if you do, I could be interested. I have no higher end closed cans yet. 

post #1950 of 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
.............

I think there is a middle ground here untouched between the 650 and 700. ................

 

I skipped the 600's as I figure by how they're described they're basically my 560's ...........

They have !

IMHO I would actually put my HD580/600s in between the 650s and 700s. :smile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread