Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 118

post #1756 of 2074

Does the cable weigh 17 grams?

 

And I HIGHLY!!!!! doubt anyone is selling a fake HD 700.

post #1757 of 2074

Just a quick note for all you HD700 owners out there. I just got my Valhalla 2 amp today and I am happy to report it makes these HD700's sound fantastic, the best I have ever heard them in fact. It pairs extremely well with all my Senns, but there is a particular synergy with the 700's. Just my opinion.

post #1758 of 2074

I've heard that Valhalla 2/Crack amplifiers works perfectly with HD700, but what about lehmann Rhinelander?

post #1759 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richsvt View Post

I have the HD700 and the Momentum. Never heard the 650. The bass on the Momentum is somewhat exaggerated but decent. Definitely a bass-lovers phone. The 700 raises the level of impact and preciseness way beyond. Sound stage and mid/trebles really shine. But they are 2 different phones, open versus closed so they will have limited similarities. The 650 and the 700 will be closer. What are you using for source, amps, files? That will all make a difference. The 700 will let you know you are listening to a sub-par file. The momentum is more forgiving. My suggestions is to get both as they do different things. But to chose one, the 700 by far. Too
many things it does well to list out.
Well i already have the momentum, which i used with the fiio x5 and now with the HDP R10(unamped,of course).Almost all of my music is in flac and many in 24/96 & 192.I plan to use the 700 unamped.I can understand the soundstage and precision, but does the 700 have the deep and punchy bass? And how less compared to the momentum?.
[/quote]
post #1760 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN94Master View Post

I plan to use the 700 unamped.

i would not use the hd700 unamped with a dap.  

 

i have the akg k812 and the hd700.  i tried both on the ibasso dx90 unamped, mostly flac files and some 320bps mp3's.  

 

the k812 sounded great.  the hd700 sounded dull, no texture, no soundstage, no imaging.  

 

the dx90 could make the hd700 LOUD but it didn't have the power, and so the control, to make it sound GOOD.  otoh, the hd700 sound terrific from the phone out of my integrated amp [nad c375bee]- great soundstage, imaging, texture and so on.

 

the hd700 is supposed to be a lot easier to drive than the hd800. but the hd700 isn't THAT easy to drive if you want good sound.


Edited by jk47 - 6/26/14 at 7:15am
post #1761 of 2074
I've listen to it on the X3 unamped, which has similar amping to the X5, and it was capable of providing enough power to be enjoyable. Yes I certainly prefer using an E12, but I bet it'd sound fine on the X5.
post #1762 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post

I've listen to it on the X3 unamped, which has similar amping to the X5, and it was capable of providing enough power to be enjoyable. Yes I certainly prefer using an E12, but I bet it'd sound fine on the X5.

did you compare that sq to:

1. the hd700 from a real amp?

2. a lower impedance, more easily driven quality hp from the x3?


Edited by jk47 - 6/26/14 at 9:00am
post #1763 of 2074

I have the HD700 and the X5.  It drives them perfectly - straight out of the X5 with no add-on amp.  I compared with my Audio-gd NFB-12, and noticed no loss in dynamics.

 

I compared both volume matched with an SPL meter.

 

If the DX90 makes the HD700 sound dull and lifeless - especially given that it was designed to be driven more easily than it's higher impedance brothers (HD800, HD650, HD600) - then I would be very worried about the DX90 as a source.

 

The X5 does a stellar job to my ears.

post #1764 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk47 View Post
 

i would not use the hd700 unamped with a dap.

 

i have the akg k812 and the hd700.  i tried both on the ibasso dx90 unamped, mostly flac files and some 320bps mp3's.

 

the k812 sounded great.  the hd700 sounded dull, no texture, no soundstage, no imaging.

 

the dx90 could make the hd700 LOUD but it didn't have the power, and so the control, to make it sound GOOD.  otoh, the hd700 sound terrific from the phone out of my integrated amp [nad c375bee]- great soundstage, imaging, texture and so on.

 

the hd700 is supposed to be a lot easier to drive than the hd800. but the hd700 isn't THAT easy to drive if you want good sound.

The HDP R10 can drive upto 600ohm headphones...I think it would'nt have any problems with the 150 ohm hd700,would it?

post #1765 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by AN94Master View Post
 

The HDP R10 can drive upto 600ohm headphones...I think it would'nt have any problems with the 150 ohm hd700,would it?

i'm going to try the hd700 again with the dx90 using higher gain settings [and giving up some dynamic range] to see if it can sound better.  what does "can drive" mean?  the dx90 "can drive" the hd700 on low gain output.  it can be very loud but it doesn't sound close to the way the same headphones sound out of a high powered amp.  as i said, i'm going to try again with a higher gain setting.  i realize i was foolish not to try that before posting any observations.

post #1766 of 2074

Hey folks, I'm selling my HD700 with all original packaging and what not in really good condition, haven't used it much since I got my LCD-3, it's hard going back... I've posted a classified on ebay, I'm wondering if I can post in the classifieds section just the link to ebay?

 

Edit: To poster above (jk47) - Driving a  headphone doesn't mean you get volume, it means you get all the right frequency response. You should learn a little about impedance.

Just because you can get volume and even good volume from something doesn't mean it is driven properly. You're most likely hearing bad distortion when it's not properly driven.


Edited by XVampireX - 6/30/14 at 6:55am
post #1767 of 2074

Hello People,

I recently got a pair of HD700 - driven off a Chord Hugo and they sound great but I have a couple of questions...

 

1. Break - in, How long? I've been driving them for about 3 days non-stop and they still haven't broken in.. the sound get's better but I still feel the bass especially sounds a bit muffled..? I've seen some people claim they need 300 hours break in - is that true?

 

2. The head band keeps sliding off my head... I have longish hair and as I walk around the room the headband keeps sliding forward to the point where the headphones can almost fall.. I've never had this problem with other headphones...?

 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

post #1768 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRound View Post

Hello People,
I recently got a pair of HD700 - driven off a Chord Hugo and they sound great but I have a couple of questions...

1. Break - in, How long? I've been driving them for about 3 days non-stop and they still haven't broken in.. the sound get's better but I still feel the bass especially sounds a bit muffled..? I've seen some people claim they need 300 hours break in - is that true?

2. The head band keeps sliding off my head... I have longish hair and as I walk around the room the headband keeps sliding forward to the point where the headphones can almost fall.. I've never had this problem with other headphones...?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
I wouldn't bother with physical burn-in, there's no proof that it makes any significant change in sound. It's more likely people to have "brain burn-in" or just placebo effect.
post #1769 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRound View Post
 

Hello People,

I recently got a pair of HD700 - driven off a Chord Hugo and they sound great but I have a couple of questions...

 

1. Break - in, How long? I've been driving them for about 3 days non-stop and they still haven't broken in.. the sound get's better but I still feel the bass especially sounds a bit muffled..? I've seen some people claim they need 300 hours break in - is that true?

 

2. The head band keeps sliding off my head... I have longish hair and as I walk around the room the headband keeps sliding forward to the point where the headphones can almost fall.. I've never had this problem with other headphones...?

 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I did not notice much in the way of break-in though some swear by it.  I don't understand your comment about the "bass especially sounds a bit muffled" as its not a term I would normally associate with bass reproduction. As they are an open headphone, their bass quality is different from closed earphones.

 

As far as sliding off your head, that really sounds like you do not have them adjusted right or there is a headband issue which could also affect the bass. They should be only extended sufficiently to allow them to enclose your ears and the ear pads and headband pad have enough friction to hold mine in place even when rapidly moving my head back and forth. 

post #1770 of 2074

BTW, If anyone is looking for a portable hard case for their HD 700 I just picked up a Slappa Full Sized HardBody PRO Headphone Case (SL-HP-07) from Amazon for $30 and it fits very well. While it does not have a carrying handle it does have a nylon loop that you can attach a carabiner.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread