Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread - Page 117

post #1741 of 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post
 

Keep in mind I'm not the best at describing sound but I'll try and outline any differences I spot. 

On that note, for some songs I can't listen to the HD700 as loud as I'd like due to a peak in the highs.

On the other hand, the HD700's are described as having spectacular mids (at least in the reviews I've read) which I tend to agree with. Vocals sound amazing.

Anyway, we'll talk more tomorrow. 

 

No worries man, I'm not looking for you to come back with like "chocolatey mids" and "effervescent highs".  I have no idea what the hell half the people describing a sound are even talking about.  :beerchug: 

post #1742 of 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS242 View Post

No worries man, I'm not looking for you to come back with like "chocolatey mids" and "effervescent highs".  I have no idea what the hell half the people describing a sound are even talking about.  beerchug.gif  

Best. Comment. Ever.
post #1743 of 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS242 View Post

No worries man, I'm not looking for you to come back with like "chocolatey mids" and "effervescent highs".  I have no idea what the hell half the people describing a sound are even talking about.  beerchug.gif  

Best. Comment. Ever.

Lol totally.

As promised, here are my thoughts on T1 vs HD700.

Obviously, the T1's 600ohms of hungry just LAUGHS at my puny little AK100 so we had to hook it up to an Algorhythm Duet Amp. Mini to Mini was ALO silver and mini to 1/4" custom(I think?) silver cable. It's important to note that I was double amping as my AK100 has no mini line out, but both cans were tested on the same source at least. I should have brought my Theorem 720 to avoid double amping but I forgot =(. Regardless, both cans sounded nothing short of amazing. That is all.

















J/K
Lows: I find the bass on HD700 to be neutral but lacking at times. Don't get me wrong, when the song calls for it you get that nice kick. Quality is there but quantity is slightly below my preference. The T1 on the other hand, meets that preference without feeling bloated. TL:DR I found the T1 to have slightly more bass quantity and the HD700 to have slightly more speed. The winner for me is T1 here, but the HD700 put up a very good fight and some might even prefer it's higher speed. P.S the decay was more enjoyable for me on T1 but I don't really know how to describe why =(

Mids: I could be biased but the HD700 takes the cake here. The mids feel more forward and voices are reproduced so well it's really hard to beat. It's like the singer is on your side singing right at you. Please note the headphone shop owner did not agree with the statement I'm about to make (and he's actually really good at describing sound, unlike myself) but I found the T1 ever so slightly recessed in the mids. MAYBE it's due to the slightly higher bass quantity on the T1 and the forward mids on HD700. Those two elements create a contrast between the two cans that I noticed right away. Winner for me was HD700 but again, that's preference.

Highs: this is where my inexperience with describing sound fully comes into play. I don't really know what to look for when I focus on observing highs. I don't want to say anything here that might sway you to either can. I will say this however: you'll find yourself turning the volume down on some songs with either can. Both have peaks. I can't decide on winner here so I'll call it a draw.

Soundstage: Both are close to HD800 but T1 is closer. When it came time to play Dead Robot - Ribbons (Dubstep Instrumental Mix) on the T1 I nearly had a tear in my eye. This song hammers your soundstage it's pretty cool when comparing cans. Instant goosebumps were had. I'll try my best at describing this... the soundstage on T1 is a tad wider and more textured. HD700 is only slightly behind (both are bloody amazing here, make no mistake!) but the T1 just had a jot more spaciousness to my ears.

Imaging: Hd700 wins, hands down. The T1 is no slouch whatsoever here, make no mistake. But the HD800 starts clapping at it's younger brother every time it sings. I always felt that this is HD700's strongest quality and the one that resembles it's bigger brother the most. The T1 will probably beat the Signature Pro in imaging and MAYBE even the TH900. However, HD800 is king in this department and HD700 is Prince. Mind you I never tried any higher classed headphones then HD800 or TH900 so I can't really speak for Stax etc. I used to be into competitive FPS gaming growing up and I'll log on for an hour here and there. The HD700 gets me kicked out of games. It's accuracy lets me know EXACTLY where the enemy is, to where people think I'm wallhacking. It really feels like cheating when I use this headphone (HD700).

[edit]
Comfort:
Let's assume HD700 is baseline.
HD700: 100%
T1: 88%
Mechanically (in b4 wrong term) the T1 is a DT770 with much lighter clamping force and softer headband. The earpads were a bit softer than DT770, but not by much. Tl/DR: Both very comfortable. If the mood calls for a 6 hour listening session, I wouldn't consider the minute comfort differences in my decision as to which headphone I'm "feelin" for that session. I guess with the HD700 I completely forget I have them on sometimes; this can be very dangerous if you try to get up and walk away with wired headphones on LOL. I would say T1 is in the same comfort class. I do know when I have them on though. It's probably because the cup's rotation on the vertical axis feels a little stiff, like all full size Beyer's.

Personally I prefer T1 overall but that's because I predominantly listen to EDM so the slightly higher bass quantity is simply a godsend for this genre. Basically because of that I an quite biased so it's probably best you take this conclusion with a grain of salt LOL. For classical I could see some leaning toward the HD700 for it's imaging and comparably awesome soundstage. HD700 is also cheaper both in the cost of the headphone and due to the fact that it's much easier to drive. I tried the Fiio E12 amp with the T1 first but it didn't really do it justice.

For your viewing pleasure:
8ehyduge.jpg
re8a5ymy.jpg

And yes I wrote this on my phone. I'm sort of... ridiculously fast with Swype keyboard.
Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Edited by Scorpion667 - 6/14/14 at 11:10pm
post #1744 of 2532

Great impressions, thank for writing that up.  Doing it from a phone means you're more of a man than me.  And if you're a woman, it means you're more of a man than me.  

 

It's funny that you mention the T1 felt recessed because that's exactly what I thought when I went from the HD 650's to the T1's.  I wished the mid-ranged was just ever so slightly more forward.   Couple of follow-up questions for you...

 

1. Given that both have high-end spikes and can be harsh with some music/songs, do you think the point at which they become harsh is about equal or would you say one or the other is more likely to become harsh sooner? I guess I'm looking for your opinion on who's the best at being harsh.

 

2. How does the clamping force on the HD 700 compared to the T1? 

 

3. Which phone is clearer sounding? I've heard the HD 700 has remarkably clarity, and probably more so than the T1.  Any thoughts here? 

post #1745 of 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS242 View Post
 

Great impressions, thank for writing that up.  Doing it from a phone means you're more of a man than me.  And if you're a woman, it means you're more of a man than me.  

 

It's funny that you mention the T1 felt recessed because that's exactly what I thought when I went from the HD 650's to the T1's.  I wished the mid-ranged was just ever so slightly more forward.   Couple of follow-up questions for you...

 

1. Given that both have high-end spikes and can be harsh with some music/songs, do you think the point at which they become harsh is about equal or would you say one or the other is more likely to become harsh sooner? I guess I'm looking for your opinion on who's the best at being harsh.

 

2. How does the clamping force on the HD 700 compared to the T1? 

 

3. Which phone is clearer sounding? I've heard the HD 700 has remarkably clarity, and probably more so than the T1.  Any thoughts here? 

 

Np, I enjoyed auditioning the T1!

 

1. The T1 is predictable in it's treble harshness so you don't really have to go out of your way to readjust the volume once you have it dialed in. 

T1 treble with volume too high = some discomfort

HD700 treble with volume too high = about the same but with sharp discomfort on the rare occasion

 

Now keep in mind, I probably have ~100 hours of listening on the HD700 where as with T1 it was close to one hour... it's really best that you get more opinions as my comparison here is not really fair. 

 

For my short listening session the T1 was slightly easier to manage in this regard. 

 

2. HD700 has less clamping force. To quantify this I'll use HD700 as baseline.

HD700 = 0% clamping force (for the sake of comparison)

T1 = 10% clamping force

Both are very comfortable cans so it's really a non-issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

 

3. T1 has great clarity, HD700 has remarkable clarity. If I was doing the mastering for a song and those were the only two headphones available to me, I would probably choose HD700 every time. It's extremely revealing. 

post #1746 of 2532
How is the bass on the hd700,if you compare it to,say,the hd 650 and the momentum?I listen to metal rock rap dub step classical and edm.I am about to buy the 700, and am looking for clarity, soundstage and deep, punchy and WELL BALANCED bass.
post #1747 of 2532

I have the HD700 and the Momentum. Never heard the 650. The bass on the Momentum is somewhat exaggerated but decent. Definitely a bass-lovers phone. The 700 raises the level of impact and preciseness way beyond. Sound stage and mid/trebles really shine. But they are 2 different phones, open versus closed so they will have limited similarities. The 650 and the 700 will be closer. What are you using for source, amps, files? That will all make a difference. The 700 will let you know you are listening to a sub-par file. The momentum is more forgiving. My suggestions is to get both as they do different things. But to chose one, the 700 by far. Too many things it does well to list out.

post #1748 of 2532

The 650 and 700 bass sound very similar, the 700 having just slightly more extension and punch. I have noticed the 700 bass in particular seems very amp sensitive and can get boomy with the wrong amp. It seems to need an iron hand to keep it under control.

post #1749 of 2532

I've just bought hd 700, and I wonder did somebody weighted them? I've found that mine weights 287 gramms instead of 270 as specified at site. Could it be that mine is fake?

post #1750 of 2532

Did you buy your headphone someplace reputable?  And besides the weight, is there some other reason to think your headphone might be fake?

post #1751 of 2532

I think You need to take Your weight scale for calibration :)

post #1752 of 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS242 View Post
 

 

No worries man, I'm not looking for you to come back with like "chocolatey mids" and "effervescent highs".  I have no idea what the hell half the people describing a sound are even talking about.  :beerchug: 


Perhaps those listeners have some form of Synesthesia!

 

Tim

post #1753 of 2532

I've used Grado RS2i for 4 years before HD700 and I must say that HD700 have much more cleaner sound. Basses are deaper, mids clearer but highs are not so vibrant as in RS2i. Also there is a real problem with sibilants in female voices. That what I was able to hear in 2 days of usage.

post #1754 of 2532

del*


Edited by iendgame - 6/19/14 at 2:06pm
post #1755 of 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcinGD View Post
 

I think You need to take Your weight scale for calibration :)

The problem that my weights are quite accurate. 17 gramms are too big fault.


Edited by iendgame - 6/19/14 at 2:07pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread